Minimum rounds before you carry a gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Minimum rounds before you carry a gun?

cluznar
07-20-2012, 16:28
I believe that I must shoot 250 to 300 rounds of various makes of ammo...then shoot 50 to 100 rounds of my carry ammo before I carry any gun.

How about you?

Louisville Glocker
07-20-2012, 16:49
I've never worried about any kind of round count. My Glocks have always proven incredibly reliable. But if it makes you feel better, sure.

Are you worried about you being familiar with the gun, or the gun being of good working condition? Regular training is always a good idea.

But as far as I'm concerned, any of my guns will go boom and hit the target if I pull the trigger, starting from shot number one.

collim1
07-20-2012, 17:14
250rds of various FMJ making sure to use each magazine I have for the gun. I always mark the mags with a sharpie so I can isolate a problem with a specific mag. I always clean and lube a new gun prior to shooting it the first time.

After that two to three mags worth of JHP. JHP is expensive I cant afford to shoot 150rds+ of carry ammo. If it will work with 3 mags it should be fine IMO.

Creatism
07-20-2012, 17:18
Depends usually 40-60 sd ammo, 100ish fmj with out a jam and I trust it.
The sd ammo is to make sure it works with my gun and is fairly accurate in my gun!

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

Jason D
07-20-2012, 17:22
A person has to know if their gun will be reliable.
It would be crazy to carry a firearm that hasn't ever been fired.

The round count only matters in as much as you would feel comfortable carrying the gun.

HerrGlock
07-20-2012, 17:48
I carry a Sig. Two/three boxes of whatever I'm going to carry and I load it and carry it.

Then again that was ... 10? years ago and about five thousand rounds through it.

Agonizer
07-20-2012, 18:19
Shot 50 rounds flawlessly through my G27 gen 4. Called it good.

Bruce M
07-20-2012, 19:02
I tend to look at the specific gun and it's reputation. A couple years back I would have been prefectly happy with running a couple magazines through say a third generation Glock 19, as there were so relatively few reports of issues with them and tens of thousands in service. If I got say a new P224 I would want to put alot more than just a couple magazines through it as I do not know anyone who has one and have not heard of any agency that has shot a dozen of them let alone hundreds.

mjb03bolt
07-20-2012, 19:12
I ran 100 of my carry ammo through my brand new G36 and was comfortable with carrying it after that. No feed problems or any problems what so ever. I also have a Kahr PM45 that I put 250 rounds of range ammo with a few problems ( FTFeed ) and then put another 200 carry ammo without any problems before I felt comfortable carrying it. Then after carrying for about 2 weeks went to the range and I always use up the ammo I was carrying and after the 3rd shot it jammed. Turned out to be bad trigger bar, don't carry that gun anymore and never will. Even with Glocks I can't imagine just loading a new gun and trusting it to function to save my life or my family's with out at the minimum giving it a few boxes of ammo.

mjb

SJ 40
07-20-2012, 20:19
Two to three hundred rounds be for I will carry. SJ 40

unit1069
07-20-2012, 23:29
I believe that I must shoot 250 to 300 rounds of various makes of ammo...then shoot 50 to 100 rounds of my carry ammo before I carry any gun.

How about you?

I break a pistol in with about 500 rounds of FMJ then if it shoots 100 rounds of a particular JHP self-defense round that round gets carried. And when I go to the range I empty my carry rounds in a cold gun as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Luckily I've got about six different top quality JHP self-defense rounds in two different calibers that have proved themselves a reliable gun/ammo tandem.

Lior
07-22-2012, 06:23
Zero rounds through all of the Glocks and CZs(*) I have carried. I got around to shooting them when I had the time, which was never on the day of purchase.

Six years ago I went into combat with a Galil SAR, and did not have the luxury of test shooting it before then either.

It is rare for people to die because newly acquired guns failed to work for some reason.

(*) Two world class gun manufacturers who have a well deserved reputation for extremely reliable products.

nikerret
07-24-2012, 19:46
I only shot 40 rounds of round-nose out of my 442 before I threw some reloads in it and started carrying it. Not ideal, but it's what the budget allowed ater the purchase.

Louisville Glocker
07-24-2012, 21:16
Zero rounds through all of the Glocks and CZs(*) I have carried. I got around to shooting them when I had the time, which was never on the day of purchase.

Six years ago I went into combat with a Galil SAR, and did not have the luxury of test shooting it before then either.

It is rare for people to die because newly acquired guns failed to work for some reason.

(*) Two world class gun manufacturers who have a well deserved reputation for extremely reliable products.

Thank you Lior,
Someone who feels like I do about the guns we choose to carry. Of course, these guns will be well-tested in due time.

Berto
07-24-2012, 21:20
It's usually a few hundred for me, more for familiarizing myself than establishing reliability. I like to shoot.
I just bought a derringer and already have 150 thru it, and I still probably won't carry it.:supergrin:

Toby196
07-24-2012, 21:53
I tend to look at the specific gun and it's reputation. A couple years back I would have been prefectly happy with running a couple magazines through say a third generation Glock 19, as there were so relatively few reports of issues with them and tens of thousands in service. If I got say a new P224 I would want to put alot more than just a couple magazines through it as I do not know anyone who has one and have not heard of any agency that has shot a dozen of them let alone hundreds.I tend to agree mostly, though I tend to put more than a few mags through a reputable gun, if only because on my usual range trips I tend to fire at least a 100 to 300 rounds (I figure I might as well make the trip worth while).

And in similar fashion, just as I take into account the reputation of the gun I'm trying out, I also consider how it performs even if it doesn't malfunction. As an example, if it doesn't fail but is barely spitting out the empty cases, I would be more inclined to put a bunch more rounds through it for my own piece of mind.

(*) Two world class gun manufacturers who have a well deserved reputation for extremely reliable products.Wow, that sucks that you didn't get to test out your Galil before heading into harms way. Did they at least have you zero and qualify on your assigned weapon? That would have freaked me out, regardless of the gun. When I deployed to Iraq, I had fired my M16 enough to be fairly confident in it, but right before we shipped off they gave us Aimpoint sights. We didn't get to zero them/try them out until we got to Kuwait, but mine started acting screwy before we even got off the plane. That was enough for me take it off and put the carry handle back on for the rest of the deployment.