Hybrid holsters.....Pros? Cons? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid holsters.....Pros? Cons?

funky2714
07-20-2012, 18:55
I am seriously considering an IWB holster. Is hybrid the way to go? At first sight they appear big which gives the impression they are uncomfortable. Although I have been reading they are the MOST comfortable.

Pros and cons as well as recommendations based on personal experience are highly welcomed.

Right now I am sold on the Galco King Tuk. Good choice?

Thanks in advance everyone!

xidica
07-20-2012, 19:43
They are indeed the way to go, very comfortable, and very concealable. While you may choose to carry in a different way from time to time i think having a good hybrid IWB in your kit is essential. Just cause it looks big doesn't mean it won't conceal well. Hell, this MTAC looks huge relative to a PM9 but it fully conceals with just a tshirt, and it's super comfortable seated or in a car. Picture of the BIC for scale.

With this same holster I can switch the shell to carry my M&P shield or glock 19 as well. A big benefit of the MTAC IMHO.

funky2714
07-20-2012, 19:56
but it fully conceals with just a tshirt,.

I assume the t shirt is untucked. Correct? Is it possible to fully conceal with an iwb wearing a tucked shirt while maintaining accessibility?

xidica
07-20-2012, 20:04
I can do both. On the weekend I will wear an untucked shirt, although I can do fully tucked as well. If I'm worried about any remote possibility of it briefly flashing or being noticed (such as, in a work environment). I will wear it with an undershirt fully tucked over and around it, and an untucked polo over that. That way if the polo rides up while reaching or sitting it still won't show. With that being said, it certainly isn't necessary, as I rarely have it show even with just a tshirt, but it's something I do for peace of mind when I absolutely need the deepest concealment possible.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CA Escapee
07-22-2012, 20:18
I am seriously considering an IWB holster. Is hybrid the way to go? At first sight they appear big which gives the impression they are uncomfortable. Although I have been reading they are the MOST comfortable.

Pros and cons as well as recommendations based on personal experience are highly welcomed.

Right now I am sold on the Galco King Tuk. Good choice?

Thanks in advance everyone!

You may have read here that I've got KingTuks for both a Glock and a 1911. Generally speaking, I like them. Here's what I've found. (Your mileage will vary.)

Pros: They are comfortable. They tend to spread out the pressure of that big lump in your waistband. Because the clips are spread so far apart they are stable and won't shift unless you shift it fore or aft. They work well when I wear shorts; they don't flop around. They are adjustable for height and the amount of cant. They tuck, (tuk?) the pistol in close to your body. With the leather covering that much real estate there's no chance of drawing the holster out with the pistol. No long wait to purchase one.

Cons: It's a lot of leather to stick in your waistband, your pants will be a little more snug than if you carry in a Summer Comfort. They are stable; it's a chore to shift it fore or aft because it is so stable. (Just when I think I've got it in the right place when I put it on, many times I have to shift it forward when I sit in the car.) You may just retire your other holsters to the holster drawer.

Bill

Lowjiber
07-22-2012, 21:10
I carry my G26 in a hybrid every day. They're a bit difficult to position properly on different pants. However, strap it on and you'll almost forget the gun is there.

LazuR
07-22-2012, 23:49
I bought a Theis(tice) holster, for my g27. I've only had it for almost 2 Weeks. So far I love it! I even rode a bike and jogged with it tonight! Its unbelievably comfortable, although while driving its kind of uncomfortable, but tolerable. This is my second glock, but first time I've been serious about carrying and think I made a great decision, plus Tommy theis is on here :)

Firefightermdc
07-23-2012, 00:15
I use a FoxX hybrid. Very comfortable, conceals better than my summer comfort, and the price was about half of a galco king tuk or cbh. Has held up extremely well over the past year carrying daily

jph02
07-23-2012, 08:11
I have the DeSantis Intruder (http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/GLOCK/17-22-31/INSIDE-THE-WAIST-BAND-HOLSTERS/Intruder) for my G22 and I've been very happy with it.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 08:18
If you have a Sig 220 or 226 or 245, I'll sell you my King Tuk for 1/2 the retail price. I wore it once and will never wear it again.

(edit)Re-reading that, I'll sell it to you for 1/2 retail even if you don't have one of those guns but if you don't it probably won't do you any good.

timdske
07-23-2012, 09:01
I use a White Hat holster and love it. I've tried all types of holsters in the past. I'm waiting for my kydex to arrive for my G19. I currently carry a Bersa Thunder and I dont have any issues with the hybrid at all. Totall recommend them...

2-tap
07-23-2012, 09:14
I have the comptac for my shield and love it but i havent tried anything else. The only con i can see with this one is the belt hooks stick out because of the rubber inserts behind them. White hat and crossbreed have flat hooks but you cant adjust the angle/ height like on the comptac.

timdske
07-23-2012, 09:26
I have the comptac for my shield and love it but i havent tried anything else. The only con i can see with this one is the belt hooks stick out because of the rubber inserts behind them. White hat and crossbreed have flat hooks but you cant adjust the angle/ height like on the comptac.

My White Hat has adjustable J hooks and you can adjust the angle of the holster. The J hooks go behind the the belt so it's almost invisible unless your looking for it.

2-tap
07-23-2012, 09:32
Yea i was thinking of getting a whitehat for my wife. She tried my comptac but it was a sight with her tight pants lol

mtnglide
07-23-2012, 09:37
Check out the N82 Tactical. I use it to carry my "T-shirt" pistol (CM9). It doesn't move around, is easy on/off and is very comfortable for a IWB. I have been so happy with it, I am purchasing another one for my P45.

ScaryPerryDawsy
07-23-2012, 09:44
I carry a G26 in a King tuk and find it more comfortable than any other holster I have used IWB. That being said I picked the hybrid due to ease of holstering. You really can't go wrong with any of the hybrids!

CitizenOfDreams
07-23-2012, 09:46
"Hybrid" meaning Kydex formed piece on leather backing? Yes, that's the way to go. Very comfortable; at least my Crossbreed Supertuck is.

timdske
07-23-2012, 10:38
Here is my White Hat

dosei
07-23-2012, 15:10
At first sight they appear big which gives the impression they are uncomfortable. Although I have been reading they are the MOST comfortable.

Just a little food for thought...
Which sounds less comfortable, a finger pressing against your body or an open palm? The are times when bigger is more comfortable.

sglock45
07-23-2012, 15:33
I have a old faithful hybrid holster check them out b4 you go with a cross breed way cheaper and better made IMO and if ya want you can build it your self and choose the kidex color http://img.tapatalk.com/321dccba-c482-37b4.jpg p.s that's a Gen 2 17 my edc

tacomatrd
07-23-2012, 20:54
Comp-Tac MTAC all the way. I have tried many different holsters and it is so comfortable and sometimes I forget it is there. I am 6ft tall and 160 pounds and I carry a Glock 19 with T-shirt and shorts and it just disappears.

BLau
07-23-2012, 20:58
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj516/BLau1976/2012-05-10_17-00-47_4.jpg

DaneA
07-23-2012, 22:06
I've had the Crossbreed for a year and a half now. Wear it everyday at least 12 hours. In addition to what has already been said for hybrids I would suggest you take a serious look at Crossbreed before purchasing any other holster. The main reason is that you can order it in horse hide. This is a much more dense leather that is thinner and resists moisture (i.e. sweat) better. Also I think it is smoother than cow hide so therefore more comfortable.

Creatism
07-23-2012, 22:20
I have a kholster (hybrid crossbreed type). I love it, one of the best methods of carrying in shorts and a t-shirt, cons are they are ***** to get on and off, also a ***** to adjust. I don't tuck mine in cause to me it just screams gun.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

USSOCOM
07-23-2012, 23:41
Finally found my last holster; the Comp-Tac MTAC. I have one for a G19 and another for a G30. I can carry either tucked or untucked and be comfortable all day long. I really never notice carrying anymore.

USSOCOM
07-23-2012, 23:44
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj516/BLau1976/2012-05-10_17-00-47_4.jpg

What holster is that BLau??

BLau
07-24-2012, 05:38
Tucker, The Answer.

Rcsteffen
07-24-2012, 06:57
My Shielded hybrid is probably my favorite holster, followed closely by the Galco Summer Comfort. Both purchased used on GT.

CitizenOfDreams
07-24-2012, 07:47
I don't tuck mine in cause to me it just screams gun.
When done properly, a tucked shirt should scream "tucked shirt", not "gun".:dunno:

magiaaron
07-24-2012, 08:24
Just jump in! I had an MTAC and a KingTuk. They are phenomenal and you will love your purchase.

-magiaaron