What's your opinion of DPMS? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion of DPMS?

teumessian_fox
07-20-2012, 19:33
I'm in the market for a 308 semiauto rifle and was leaning toward a M1A Scout, but have been reading that the SA M1A isn't a particularly accurate platform.

How about the DPMS AR 10?

thanx

Ruggles
07-20-2012, 20:03
Had a DMPS AR15 in 5.56 and it performed very well for me :) Some friends with the same experiences.

I will say that there is some "backlash" by some in the AR community regarding DPMS so be prepared for for negative comments :)

teumessian_fox
07-20-2012, 20:35
I will say that there is some "backlash" by some in the AR community regarding DPMS so be prepared for for negative comments :)

Do you remember the backlash?

collim1
07-20-2012, 20:52

News to me. My dept has been issuing DPMS to the SWAT team for years and they have all been great rifles.

As far as the M1A not being accurate I think you got some bad info.

teumessian_fox
07-20-2012, 20:59
As far as the M1A not being accurate I think you got some bad info.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9890016492

Decguns
07-20-2012, 21:26
As someone who has been shooting competitions with the M1A for more than 30yrs, it takes a lot of time & money to keep one shooting as accurately as an out of the box AR-10. The more accurate you make an M1A, the more ammo finiky it will be. You essentially design the rifle around the load you plan to use. I got tired of changing out $2000 Krieger chryo barrels every year just to mantain the accuracy an AR will deliver for thousands more rounds. AR-10 means no recurring glass bedding or fitting of uber expensive match grade parts.

Buy the DPMS. They're now the #1 AR manufacture in the country surpassing Bushmaster (a sister company). I've been using their rifles for years with no issues. Some in the AR business say the non-chromed barrels are more accurate, but all of my DPMS rifles have chromed bores... and they are plenty accurate. Either way... good rifles.

WarEagle32
07-20-2012, 22:45
I have a perfect DPMS 308 for sale now on the firearms classifieds on this site now! Whether you are interested or not. The DPMS 308 was the NRA rifle of the year just a couple years ago, which is no accident, and mine is the most accurate rifle that I have ever touched! Get you one, no matter!

racer88
07-21-2012, 07:22
I admit to not knowing much about various brands of AR style rifles. So, I can't claim "snob" status. :) It seems that DPMS gets roundly panned for reasons unknown to me. I've got only one AR15 type rifle. It was custom built for me by a friend. The upper is DPMS.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/AR-15-with-specs.jpg

Here's a target set at 300 meters (330 yards). It was the 2nd time I had ever shot this rifle and 2nd time ever at this distance. The first time was sighting in the scope. X-ring is 1-3/4 inches in diameter.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/300-meter-targets_02-12-12_.jpg

vikingsoftpaw
07-21-2012, 11:34
I'm in the market for a 308 semiauto rifle and was leaning toward a M1A Scout, but have been reading that the SA M1A isn't a particularly accurate platform.

thanx

I bought a DPMS in .223 about 10-12 years ago. They work just the same as other brands.

Your info on the M1A is a bit off though. Keep in mind the M1A/M-14 dominated Highpower Rifle Competition, for how many decades? It was only supplanted by the AR-15/M-16 starting in 1997.

The upside of the M1A: a longer sight radius and factory trigger.

Downside: Its not direct impingement. There is a heavy op rod and piston providing a reciprocating motion. It is more difficult to add optics.

rilkil23
07-21-2012, 12:18
My DPMS has been flawless, guess I just got lucky.

TknoGeek
07-21-2012, 13:19

I have a DPMS SASS and regularly shoot it at ranges up to 900 yards. The rifle easily holds less than 1 MOA with match ammunition.

I suffered a broken extractor somewhere around 1250 rounds and DPMS made it right without question. It's been flawless for the ~750 rounds since then.

The rifle seems to cycle more smoothly with PMAGs over the standard steel mags.

I don't regret the purchase and would do it again.

K.Kiser
07-21-2012, 14:48
I've read a healthy bit of remarks about DPMS being a bargain store grade rifle, but alot of the comments seem to be from an angle of possible snobbery... I've read a whole lot of DPMS owners that have had great luck and results from their rifles...

Probably not a battlefield rifle that is meant to compete with a higher end AR, but for the recreational shooter that bought it to plink, paper punch, or a shorter range weapon for defense they are probably all their supposed to be..

scatman
07-21-2012, 23:57
Whats the major issue with DPMS?......reliability?.....cost?
Why not own one?

NEOH212
07-22-2012, 02:54
What's your opinion of CheapPMS?

What was the question.....

Oh nevermind...

:wavey:

harleytech
07-22-2012, 03:14
My DPMS has been flawless, guess I just got lucky.

Mine too.....!!!!!:wavey:

Waboom!!
07-22-2012, 19:48
DPMS is extremely good. Anyone who loves the AR platform can not argue otherwise. if so... do it now. for the money, they are the best.

Ruggles
07-23-2012, 18:05
Maybe "backlash" was the wrong word. I owned a DPMS as well with no issues. I meant that within the AR crowd on Glocktalk the DPMS brand gets beat up pretty fiercely. Had this post been in the Blackrifle subform it would have been full of the standard "DPMS sucks" post.

I would have no issue buying a DPMS again :) All my ARs now are "Frankenstein" ARs made up of all different brand parts. :)

Sorry I was not more clear. :)

Ruggles
07-23-2012, 18:11

Sorry see my post above, backlash was a poor choice in words for what I was trying to express.

I have read a ton of negative posts about DPMS, some very much so.

I was just trying to express that, personally I have no issue with DPMS at all. If I ever buy a AR "complete" I would not have an issue with DPMS :)

More fun to build them, I would use DPMS parts to do that without concern.

teumessian_fox
07-23-2012, 20:58
Thanx for the responses.

I went to Academy to look at their selection of DPMS rifles. They only had three AR platform ARs. I wanted the DPMS SASS but they didn't have one. The most impressive 308 AR they had was a Sig 716. That was the one I bought.

Again, thanx for the responses.

rilkil23
07-23-2012, 21:11
Congratulations on the new Sig.

Bilbo Bagins
07-24-2012, 07:24
Sorry see my post above, backlash was a poor choice in words for what I was trying to express.

I have read a ton of negative posts about DPMS, some very much so.

I was just trying to express that, personally I have no issue with DPMS at all. If I ever buy a AR "complete" I would not have an issue with DPMS :)

More fun to build them, I would use DPMS parts to do that without concern.

Honestly it was rich boy envy.

DPMS was always reasonably priced, so those who spend big money on a high end AR back in the day felt the need to bash them. Granted way back in the day DPMS did not chrome line their barrels, but not anymore.

It all kind of sorted itself out when other gun companies came into the AR arena. Now there is no more talk like "I spent $1000 more for may AR, so its got to be better than you cheap POS AR" With S&W is selling cheap AR's and Colt's prices came down dramatically you look like a dumbass spending over $2000 on a stock factory DI 5.56 AR.

There are still AR snobs, just like there are H&K and Sig snobs, and BMW and Jaguar snobs.

If you want a .308 AR the DPMS is a good choice. Its a lot of rifle for the money.