Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard?

Gunny1
07-20-2012, 22:45
Wanting my first revolver. Ruger KLCR 357 or S&W Bodyguard .38? Heard the Bodyguard had a strong trigger pull. I don't like a heavy trigger. Also I was told you can shoot 38special and +p out of all 357 mags. Is that true? I am only looking at the smith because the price and the extras. What gun would be better? Any opinions on the guns? Thanks.

WarEagle32
07-20-2012, 22:47
I'd go with the Ruger on this one.

glocker56
07-21-2012, 06:59
The Ruger LCR 357 has a smoother trigger and yes, you can shoot 38, 38+p, out of the 357.
I would try to shoot both revolvers to see what you feel more comfortable with.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-21-2012, 07:04
Wanting my first revolver. Ruger KLCR 357 or S&W Bodyguard .38? Heard the Bodyguard had a strong trigger pull. I don't like a heavy trigger. Also I was told you can shoot 38special and +p out of all 357 mags. Is that true? I am only looking at the smith because the price and the extras. What gun would be better? Any opinions on the guns? Thanks.
In your search, you might not need to consider .357 mag, because they are more expensive guns. Just go with a .38 special gun (all the new ones say they are rated for +P), and yes that round can also be fired from a .357 mag.

If price is no bother, then a .357 magnum is fine. But I'd only be shooting .38 special +P anyway out of a lightweight snubnose. I shoot magnums from my heavier and longer hunting revolvers.

If you buy in a gunshop, ask to try the trigger first. They might all seem heavy to you. That could make you consider other guns maybe or maybe not :)

pmwglock19
07-21-2012, 08:23
My son went thru the same dilema when he was looking to buy a revolver. He settled on the lcr in 38 over the smith. The LCR had a lighter and smoother trigger pull. We both shot it and is accurate for its size. Hit center of mass with 5 roundsat 20 and 25 feet.

Rustin
07-21-2012, 14:17
LCR all the way. The bodyguard is a rip off of the LCR. Plus, the laser on the BG is strictlly a gimmick. NEVER would I be searching for some small button to press when the proverbial fertilizer hits the fan. If you want a laser, get an LCR with crimson trace grips. When you grip the gun the laser is activated, unlike the BG where you have to stretch out to activate this tiny, hard to press button.

abimelech
07-21-2012, 16:14

I own a Smith .38 Bodyguard and wish it were the LCR. The trigger is stiff and the grip is crap. The Ruger has a great grip in that Houge and the laser on the Smith is difficult to operate easily.

HalfHazzard
07-22-2012, 09:48
Big fan of the LCR, no experience with Bodyguard.

Trigger is great, grips are great. I bought the .357 because its heavier so there's less recoil with any round. I shoot almost exclusively .38; no desire for extra recoil if I need to fire off a few quickly. The .357 out of an LCR is a beast compared to the .38.

a_just_cause
07-22-2012, 12:22
I have two J-frames. I purchased J-frames to use the 22lr counterpart... that being said I've shot the LCR and now with the 22lr LCR variant I would have gone the ruger route if I could revisit this purchase ;)

faawrenchbndr
07-22-2012, 12:25
.....:cool:

JaPes
07-22-2012, 15:47
I don't like a heavy trigger

Then you better really think hard about whether or not you want a revolver with a shrouded hammer / removed hammer spur. You can only shoot those double action, and a revolver's double action trigger pull will always feel heavy to someone used to shooting DA/SA, SA, or constant action.

I used to own a Ruger LCR .357. It is a fine snubbie revolver. The DA trigger is heavy, but no stacking and has a good break. The main advantage of the LCR .357 is ammo versatility: .38 Special, .38 Special +P, & .357 Magnum. As you go up ammo power, the recoil gets more stout.

You won't know whether or not you can handle .357 magnum out of a lightweight polymer frame revolver until you try it. It's one of those things you don't fully understand until you feel it for yourself.

I've shot a Bodyguard 38. It's also one fine little snubbie. .38/.38 +P. The standard laser is really nice to have. The grip & trigger aren't as good as the LCR.

Is this going to be your only revolver? Is this revolver going to be range duty only as part of a collection? A snubbie is by it's nature a punishing little gun. Have you considered a Ruger GP100, SW 606, Taurus M66? These revolvers are fun to shoot & they don't beat you up.