New addition to the family and first 1911. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family and first 1911.

tonyparson
07-21-2012, 03:47
I had a Glock 26 for sell or trade on a local gun classifieds website for about 2 weeks with no hits. I was about to take it off and just keep it. Next thing I know I had a Soddy police officer email me telling me he had a Kimber Custom II he would trade. I meet the guy think all the way there the Kimber had to be as old as me and wore out. So we meet and the guy hands me a kimber case, the case looked new. I opened it and this is what I found. Like new Kimber Custom II with 100 rnds fired through it, so he says, factory rubber grips, fluer de lis aluma grips, Wilson ext slide stop installed, factory slide stop included, Wilson guide rod and plug, Wilson aluminum mainspring housing, Wilson tuning spring kit, Wilson mag, two Kimber mags, Chip McCormick power mag, papers, and tools. All Wilson parts are new in the packs. So I was waiting for this guy to say he would have to have boot along with my G26 and 7 mags. I ask him what he wanted to do and he said, I was thinking an even trade.. I was very happy to make the trade.. I took this Kimber out and shot 50 rounds through it without the first hiccup. This is the first 1911 I've owned and shot.. Now I just need to learn how to break this Kimber down, its nothing like breaking a Glock down..
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/14104_IMG_9963_1.jpg

fasteddie565
07-21-2012, 07:43
Tony,

That Kimber is not worth the price of the box, you should send it to me immediately and spare yourself the embarrassment...:whistling::supergrin:

Seriously, you did well my friend! I have several Kimbers and use one as my EDC. The full size customs should take down like a conventional GI 1911A1. You can probably you tube it.

zackwatt
07-21-2012, 11:40
How do you like the Alumagrips?

TxGlock9
07-21-2012, 14:02
You gave him the g26 magazine I sold you.. :*(

tonyparson
07-21-2012, 14:03
You gave him the g26 magazine I sold you.. :*(

Ya I had too. :supergrin:
I have a guy right now wanting to trade me a SS Springfield Armory .45 acp commander 4" for this Kimber, what do you guys think?

AKRover
07-21-2012, 14:14
I'd trade my Glock any day of the week for a Kimber and twice on Sunday. Nice trade.

I don't know what you intend to use the Kimber for but if it were me I'd keep the Kimber. The commander size is a little easier to conceal but if you're a bigger framed guy like myself concealing a full size 1911 isn't that difficult.

TxGlock9
07-21-2012, 14:15
Ya I had too. :supergrin:
I have a guy right now wanting to trade me a SS Springfield Armory .45 acp commander 4" for this Kimber, what do you guys think?

What kind of S/A is it? Loaded?

As much as I dislike Kimber I think the Custom II is worth more than a S/A Loaded. << if in fact..

AKRover
07-21-2012, 14:19
What kind of S/A is it? Loaded?

As much as I dislike Kimber I think the Custom II is worth more than a S/A Loaded. << if in fact..

Not trying to hijack or derail the thread but I'm curious why you dislike Kimber. I've only handled them in the store but they seem to be on par with any other 1911 in the same price range. I can't recall anyone having anything bad to say about them so I'm curious. I'm really just getting into 1911s myself so trying to learn not only the guns but also about the makers.

kirgi08
07-21-2012, 14:27
The older the Kimber the better.'08.

tonyparson
07-21-2012, 14:40
I told him no. I looked and there selling for around $500.

AKRover
07-21-2012, 17:31
I told him no. I looked and there selling for around $500.

Good choice. Enjoy that Kimber and never look back.

Alcoy
07-21-2012, 18:09
good trade. have fun with it.

Jason D
07-21-2012, 18:24
Good deal.

I don't much care what anyone says.
I have never had a problem with a Kimber in all the years I have owned them.

Jason D
07-21-2012, 19:36
Dang it...

mr_fender
07-21-2012, 20:01
Now I just need to learn how to break this Kimber down, its nothing like breaking a Glock down..

It's not bad at all. 1911's detail strip very easily. YouTube has a ton of clips on breaking them down.

One thing to keep in mind with the Kimber though is the firing pin safety. Kimber uses the Swartz safety, which is disabled by the grip safety as opposed to the trigger. As a result you have to be careful when putting the slide back on that you are not depressing the grip safety. The firing pin safety lever can be bent or broken off if the slide is forced back all the way with the grip safety depressed. It sticks up out of the top of the frame right next to the disconnector. Just make sure the little lever is down flush in the frame and then it's just like any other 1911.

Keep it clean and well lubed and it will serve you well. Congrats and good luck on the new pistol.

bac1023
07-21-2012, 20:14
Very nice

Congrats! :cool: