Jerry Ahern Survivalist Series [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Ahern Survivalist Series

Stevekozak
07-21-2012, 08:17
Just picked up the first couple of these books to have something to read. It was my understandint that Jerry Ahern was a respected and knowledgable gun writer. I am about 200 pages into the first book of the series and am appalled at the stupidity of the information. Nukes explode, and within 2 hours 70% of Americans are dead, and many are dead from radiation poisoning? The whole West Coast drops into the ocean and the deadly tidal wave has already formed and wipedout much of the rest of it? That quickly? Really, that quickly? No one ever talks, but SHOUTS, SCREAMS, ..... The President commits suicide to keep the US from surrendering? Really? Even the gun information is ridiculous. Main charecter is super badass that has mastered everything in the world, including medical school? Carrys two six shoot .45 autos into extreme combat with a back of of a full-sized .357 revolver? WOW! I have yet to read a single thing about survival. Did he really publish 20+ volumes of this stuff?

Dexters
07-21-2012, 08:30
I think I read some of them. Were they written in the 80s?

Yes, it isn't about survival ism. It is a western set in a distopian world. I think the main character had Dentonics 45s and never ran out of ammo.

Commander_Zero
07-21-2012, 09:43
Well, give it a little slack....it was the '80's...Reagan was president, nationalism and patriotism was back in style, and the hangover from Carter was starting to wear off.

Ahern's cashcow is also available on Amazon in ebook format. If you want to really go nuts and put your brain in a headlock, you can collect all 27 or so books and the two standalone novels.

Ahern managed to milk this thing all the way up into the mid 90's. After that he actually wound up owning Detonics briefly.

Try the Survivalist drinking game....You could make a drinking game out of looking for ‘Metalifed Python’, ‘A.G. Russel Sting’, ‘Alessi shoulder rig’, and ‘Detonics’. Empty the entire pitcher when he ‘whispers’ something that any other normal person would say in a regular talking voice.

MstrPara
07-21-2012, 13:45
I read ALL of them......in the 80's......when I was 15. I liked them a lot then, but doubt I'd even bother now.

9mm +p+
07-21-2012, 13:55
Got the whole set, it's still fun to read.

dissthis
07-21-2012, 14:20
I read some of the series as a kid...part of what got me into survival-ism...

I have most of the collection...missing a few (3 books)...I am re-reading now for the fun of it...

I have noticed (as an adult) some things don't really make since...he rides a motorcycle WHILE shooting, and reloading his M-16 with his right hand...

There are a few good points but yeah its hokey

CitizenOfDreams
07-21-2012, 15:02
What is that genre called? CLP Opera?

quake
07-21-2012, 15:28
Back then the term survivalist was nearly synonymous with 'militia nutjob' or even 'mercenary wannabe' in usage. Agree with you, there wasn't much in the books regarding what we here think of as 'survivalism'; the simple realities of existence even without infrastructure support.

...Carrys two six shoot .45 autos into extreme combat with a back of of a full-sized .357 revolver?...
The detonics were his most-used guns, but that was largely because they were his ccw guns. He did carry a full-size 1911, once he got back to his supplies and was able to re-outfit.

That said, we also have to remember that we just didn't have the handgun options back then that are available now. There were very few - if any - high-capacity compact handguns at the time to speak of. Even the 'compact' beretta - which was still bigger than a current glock 19 - wasn't around back then, and that one was a major groundbreaker in its own right. The detonics combatmaster was neither lightweight nor high-capacity (I still have one), but they were was as small as a .380 auto of the time:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/detonicscomparison.jpg

Being that compact, shooting full-bore .45 ammunition, and holding only one less round of .45acp ammo than the full-size govt model that was really "the king" back then, really made it a stunning option considering how limited the options were. At the time it stood nearly on its own, at least as far as factory-available concealed-handgun options. Not much other than the ASP or such (at least as far as I recall) could really match the detonics for a compact carry gun back then. Their counterwound recoil-spring system actually made for lower recoil & faster follow-up shots than with a full-size normal .45 auto as well. I brought home some ipsc class 'b' trophies with that tiny .45 back in the 90's; they shoot softer than a blowback .380 if you can believe that.

Obviously, a very different world now; but 30+ years ago the choices among major-caliber, concealable handguns (and handgun ammo) were extremely limited. A pair of PPK/s-sized .45acp's loaded with federal 185jhp was imo a very good setup, especially with their improved recoil system and considering the very-limited options at the time.

yellowhand
07-21-2012, 15:55
Jerry Ahearn still writes a piece each issue of the Blue Press from Dillions I believe, if same guy, same name and seems like same style, still loves his detonics:wavey:

Allfal
07-21-2012, 16:03
Twin detonics .45's carried in an alessi double shoulder holster rig with either 1 or 2 Milt Sparks 6 pack mag holders.

A metalifed magnaported 6" colt python on a belt holster with 2 speed loaders and a dump pouch.

A Colt car 15 that he never kept a round in the chamber of, since he had to pull back the charging handle prior to every gun fight.

A cave in the mountains with a weighted hidden door with a hidden spring running inside, limitless electrical power and an unlimited supply of food, ammo, vehicles, spare parts and whiskey.

Are you really trying to say this story wasn't based on what reality would be in that situation?

Allfal
07-21-2012, 16:19
Well, give it a little slack....it was the '80's...Reagan was president, nationalism and patriotism was back in style, and the hangover from Carter was starting to wear off.

Ahern's cashcow is also available on Amazon in ebook format. If you want to really go nuts and put your brain in a headlock, you can collect all 27 or so books and the two standalone novels.

Ahern managed to milk this thing all the way up into the mid 90's. After that he actually wound up owning Detonics briefly.

Try the Survivalist drinking game....You could make a drinking game out of looking for ‘Metalifed Python’, ‘A.G. Russel Sting’, ‘Alessi shoulder rig’, and ‘Detonics’. Empty the entire pitcher when he ‘whispers’ something that any other normal person would say in a regular talking voice.

Sorry, I missed your post the first time i skimmed this thread. The idea of a drinking game for the series is probably the best way to enjoy them. Given the number of times those phrases are used, it may lead to alcoholism though. It's been quite some time since I read them. They are for entertainment only, with no useful info for actual preps. With this drinking game idea, I may actualy re read some.

Commander_Zero
07-22-2012, 07:33
What is that genre called? CLP Opera?

They are usually lumped under the catch-all of 'mens adventure'.

Stevekozak
07-22-2012, 08:51
Ha ha... if I did that, I would have been dead drunk by page 50!! :rofl: The book is really comical. Kind of a ************ fanstasy for teenage boys with hot women and all powerful main character. The author skips around changes things at will in the blink of an eye. Rourke is crash landing the plane on 5 miles of smooth desert, somehow, in the middle of this, after he has touched it down, he inexplicably turns the plane and drives it into a stand of pine trees (which did not exist half a page before) killing several of the passengers. And somehow, teh radiation that came throught the viewscreen during atomic flashes, that melted the faces of other ppl, did not harm him at all, but did irradiate his clothes and Rolex watch (luckily he carried another similarly expensive Rolex watch in his carry on, as do we all....) Man, I kept reading for the humor of it all..as I almost whispered to myself..."can this be real"!! :dunno:

dissthis
07-26-2012, 18:27
FYI

Jerry Ahern passed away on Tuesday of cancer...

CitizenOfDreams
07-26-2012, 18:44
RIP. I might have laughed a few times while reading your books, but you were still a great storyteller. :sadangel:

mac66
07-26-2012, 19:04
RIP Jerry.

The audio books of the Survivor are available online somewhere. I listened to most of them driving back and forth to work, 10 or so years ago. I admit they keep me somewhat entertained during my long commute. If you think the first ones are stupid, wait until you get to....well I am not going to spoil it but the story gets way out there.:whistling::supergrin: and I just couldn't listen anymore.

MstrPara
07-26-2012, 23:59
Wow! RIP Mr Ahern.

I enjoyed his books while growing up, and liked his monthly gear review column (I think it's in Gun World)?

9mm +p+
07-27-2012, 00:28
FYI

That well and truly SUCKS! I liked his writing, RIP sir.

Stevekozak
07-27-2012, 04:51
FYI

I am sorry to hear that. It is a hard way to go.

DarkShooter
07-27-2012, 07:22
Never read his material from the Survivalist era, but I did enjoy his articles in the Blue Press and Gun World.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

quake
07-27-2012, 07:39
FYI

That's a shame. Can't say I'm the most rabid fan in the world, but I did like his stuff. Probably my favorite was the early, standalone novel "The Freeman". (And yes, the protagonist in that one has a Detonics as well, although it's a full-size Scoremaster iirc :tongueout: .)

Maybe I'll dig out the storage tub that has my old Ahern, Alistair MacLean, etc, books and re-read some of his stuff. Been a long time.

Ruble Noon
07-27-2012, 18:51
RIP. Jerry.

A lot of people bag on his writing style but I enjoyed reading his Survivalist series back in the early '80's as a teenager.

Jtg1963
08-09-2012, 13:05
i enjoyed reading his books when they first came out,they were written for a different era and type of readers.Occasionally i will pick one up and reread it after almost 25 years..after i heard of his death i reread the first and the last book in the set.

series1811
08-09-2012, 13:32
Like with most events in life, surviving after a nuclear holocaust, would probably be a lot more boring and much less entertaining than authors have to make it to sell books.

Stevekozak
08-10-2012, 16:51
Like with most events in life, surviving after a nuclear holocaust, would probably be a lot more boring and much less entertaining than authors have to make it to sell books.
As long as you can "pump the trigger" of your CAR-15 after removing the rubber muzzle plug, you will be ok. If not, you can whisper and shout about it..... No worries, even though everyone else, including Soviet Armies, will have guns, you will never get shot because they wont shoot you, and will only attack you with clubs and knives, regardless of their overwhelming numbers.........
:tongueout:

fx77
08-10-2012, 17:45
I enjoyed all his books when I was not educated and too young toq uestion the "facts" they were fun

Bren
08-21-2012, 11:46
I read ALL of them......in the 80's......when I was 15. I liked them a lot then, but doubt I'd even bother now.

I read his They Call Me The Mercenary series (as Axel Kilgore) back in the 80's, when I was 12-14 and liked them. Bought one the other day and it was still pretty good. The gun information is always right on - much more so than many other writers.

Another guy I've learned to like because he knows a little about guns and dogs is Dean Koontz, horror writings "Anti-Stephen-King."

Leigh
08-21-2012, 13:30
Entertaining, but when I came across mention of a "Double Alessi Shoulder Rig" for his brace of pet SIGs (a favorite phrase of his), I moved on...

quake
08-21-2012, 18:50
...mention of a "Double Alessi Shoulder Rig"...
As I'm so often reminded by my wife & kids, "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it." :supergrin:

The Alessi Bodyguard was cutting-edge at the time, if such a term can be applied to leather goods. Concealment as good as the galco shoulder holsters (which are very good), yet faster due to using a pull-thru retention snap instead of a normal thumsnap.

New thermoplastics like kydex make the approach even faster & more concealable. I regularly wear these under a one-size-large shirt, on stage in front of hundreds of people. They're survivalsheath pull-thru holsters on a galco jackass harness:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/09-13-08001-1.jpg

Not delusions of machismo; fact is, it's actually easier to visually disguise two guns in matching shoulder holsters than a single gun in a shoulder holster. Also lets you wear a normal, tucked-in dress shirt with no belt clips from a tuckable holster. I almost never carry spare ammo with this setup; twenty-two rounds is plenty on-body imo, and if wearing a jacket, using G19 mags with A&G adapters makes it 32 rounds with no reloads.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/09-13-08002-croppedgrip.jpg

To be clear, I do NOT shoot both guns at once. I'm not in a John Woo movie, and I don't think I'm Bruce Willis or Stallone. It may look neat in the movies, but not something I can do with any level of real skill. But with careful setup, adjusting & tweaking, the double-shoulder-holster setup can actually work stunningly well.

fastbolt
08-22-2012, 13:29
The Men's Action/Adventure section had some entertaining & diverting reading back in the 80's & 90's ...

I had the entire Survivalist collection, myself. I also had the Ashes, by William W. Johnstone, as well as the short Springblade collection, by Greg Walker. There were some others that followed, as well, but you get my point. He was in there in the early days of that 80's wave of writing action/adventure stories.

Of course, I also collected a number of other series compilations as a teen, such as the Doc Savage paperbacks, The Destroyer (really ahead of its time, having been first written in 1963), the Gor series (which I sold off several years ago for some decent money when I accidentally discovered their value to a small niche of collectors :wow: ).

I'll miss Jerry Ahern's contributions to the gun & knife writing fields. Granted, I would not have chosen a Detonics or Python for myself, but that's not the point, is it? The gear became something the fans enjoyed following. Kind of like how we used to read the Sears & Roebuck catalogs as kids. ;)

Rest in peace Jerry.

Ruble Noon
08-22-2012, 16:37
As I'm so often reminded by my wife & kids, "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it." :supergrin:

The Alessi Bodyguard was cutting-edge at the time, if such a term can be applied to leather goods. Concealment as good as the galco shoulder holsters (which are very good), yet faster due to using a pull-thru retention snap instead of a normal thumsnap.

New thermoplastics like kydex make the approach even faster & more concealable. I regularly wear these under a one-size-large shirt, on stage in front of hundreds of people. They're survivalsheath pull-thru holsters on a galco jackass harness:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/09-13-08001-1.jpg

Not delusions of machismo; fact is, it's actually easier to visually disguise two guns in matching shoulder holsters than a single gun in a shoulder holster. Also lets you wear a normal, tucked-in dress shirt with no belt clips from a tuckable holster. I almost never carry spare ammo with this setup; twenty-two rounds is plenty on-body imo, and if wearing a jacket, using G19 mags with A&G adapters makes it 32 rounds with no reloads.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE/09-13-08002-croppedgrip.jpg

To be clear, I do NOT shoot both guns at once. I'm not in a John Woo movie, and I don't think I'm Bruce Willis or Stallone. It may look neat in the movies, but not something I can do with any level of real skill. But with careful setup, adjusting & tweaking, the double-shoulder-holster setup can actually work stunningly well.

Two guns carry easier than one for me at least. I tried the one gun with loaded mags on the opposite side and it never was comfortable. Two guns is definitely a better balance.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/Streetmaster45/guns005.jpg