Gun Ban in Places of Worship Upheld [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Ban in Places of Worship Upheld

GeorgiaGlocker
07-21-2012, 08:38
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/federal-appeals-court-upholds-1481921.html

steveksux
07-21-2012, 09:05
That was such a stupid argument the court made, can't imagine it would hold up on appeal.

Its not upholding property rights of churches to ban carry on all churches... the suit was brought by a minister trying to exercise his property rights to allow carry at his church for God's sake!!!

As the guy from GC says, they weren't asking to be able to carry against the church's wishes... :upeyes:

Randy

Toby196
07-21-2012, 10:02
That was such a stupid argument the court made, can't imagine it would hold up on appeal.

Its not upholding property rights of churches to ban carry on all churches... the suit was brought by a minister trying to exercise his property rights to allow carry at his church for God's sake!!!

As the guy from GC says, they weren't asking to be able to carry against the church's wishes... :upeyes:

RandyYeah, the whole rationale seems absurd. According to the courts own conclusion ["An individual's right to bear arms 'certainly must be limited by the equally fundamental right of a private property owner to exercise exclusive dominion and control over its land,' Appeals Court Judge Gerald Tjoflat wrote."], a more sensible ruling would've been to allow firearms in churches that permit guests to do so.

Especially considering the article notes that one of the other specific places where guns are prohibited by the current law is "bars without the owners permission". So a bar owner can allow you to carry a gun, but a church owner cannot?

coachrowsey
07-21-2012, 10:13
I guarantee you there are "a couple guns" in my church

Caver 60
07-21-2012, 12:10
Our state allows church carry with the permission of the pastor or those in charge of the church.

And you can carry in bars with permission. Just can't be intoxicated.

rmodel65
07-21-2012, 15:08
http://www.examiner.com/article/appellate-court-upholds-georgia-s-ban-on-carrying-places-of-worship

NEOH212
07-22-2012, 02:38
Yet more judges that don't understand the Constitution.

:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Toby196
07-22-2012, 03:10
Yet more judges that don't understand the Constitution.

:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:Sadly, I think it's worse than that. Judging by the articles that have been linked in this thread, it seams that the justices have an adequate understanding of the Constitution, but still chose to prohibit firearms from churches that permit it.

Why is it that a bar owner can choose to allow firearms on their property, yet church owners cannot? To be clear, I support any private property owner being able to decide whether guns are allowed or not (just as it's our decision whether to frequent such establishments). But apparently the court treated the case as though the pastor was trying to force all churches (or any private property, for that matter) to allow guns on their premises.

Lior
07-22-2012, 06:18
Does this law mean that murder attempts that are carried out with banned instruments in places of worship are magically never successful?

Toby196
07-22-2012, 07:30
Does this law mean that murder attempts that are carried out with banned instruments in places of worship are magically never successful?Of course!. Should someone attempt to commit murder in a house of worship, the moment they pull the trigger the weapon will, "poof", disappear from their grip.

Thank God for gun control!

oldsoldier
07-22-2012, 07:58
Our state allows church carry with the permission of the pastor or those in charge of the church.

And you can carry in bars with permission. Just can't be intoxicated.

You might be in MO then. A lot of people don't know it's legal under our law.

Sam Spade
07-22-2012, 11:18
A blog and commentary by law profs and lawyers on the topic:

http://www.volokh.com/2012/07/20/georgia-law-banning-the-carrying-of-guns-to-church-unless-one-notifies-and-gets-permission-from-church-management/

Reading it, it seems that they centered their argument on the establishment (of religion) clause, not the RKBA.

40 S+W
07-23-2012, 06:30
I wonder how this affects a Church Security Team in Ga????

GeorgiaGlocker
07-23-2012, 06:55
The courts deciosion can be found here:

www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/20111387.pdf

40 S+W
07-23-2012, 07:51
I take the read as yes they (church sec team) can be armed.. I'm thinkin once a paritioner turns his weapon into you, the security team for whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You're Armed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ain't the LAW Grand???? And I'll bet thousands of dollars changed hands here as well????

Alcoy
07-23-2012, 13:11
I guarantee you there are "a couple guns" in my church

coach,

you always carry a back up gun with your main EDC in church?
:supergrin:

Mayhem like Me
07-25-2012, 07:50
I wonder how this affects a Church Security Team in Ga????

It does not if they are LEO .