Plastic bottles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plastic bottles?

deadmanglocking
07-21-2012, 20:04
Anyone know where to get 2 liter plastic bottles? We don't drink soda so no keeping them when they are empty.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

M1A Shooter
07-21-2012, 22:28
ask friends and neighbors to save theirs.

bdcochran
07-22-2012, 03:53
1. Go stand outside any recycling center and offer 10 cents to someone standing in line.

2. Do not use 2 liter bottles for storing water. The containers will fail.

3. When I needed gallon glass bottles for making wine, I simply went to dances and took the empty bottles. Go to a dance, wedding or social event and simply ask for 2 litter containers.:wavey:

kahoys
07-22-2012, 08:49
I would only trust bottles that I have purchased and emptied, you never know what may been stored in any empty.

kirgi08
07-22-2012, 09:02
1. Go stand outside any recycling center and offer 10 cents to someone standing in line.

3. When I needed gallon glass bottles for making wine, I simply went to dances and took the empty bottles. Go to a dance, wedding or social event and simply ask for 2 litter containers.:wavey:

What one needs is injection molded not "seamed" units.'08.

deadmanglocking
07-22-2012, 10:45

I'm storing water in 55gal blue barrels. I'm thinking of using 2 liter bottles to put dry goods in since I have a closet I can stack them sideways in and fit a ton of them.

bdcochran
07-22-2012, 15:43
I tried to store rice in glass containers. Unfortunately, the rice was already contaminated with moth eggs. Once I tried just storing grains in the plastic bags in which they came. Same thing happened.

Conversely, I have never had a problem with commercially packed/canned foods And, the cardboard cases in which they come stack very well.

Just sharing some of my experience so that you don't have to go through the same learning curve.

deadmanglocking
07-22-2012, 16:03
Thanks for the info guys. I wonder if you heated your grains to about 150-160 if it would kill any moth eggs it may be contaminated with without breaking down the rice etc.... As a former chef I know it takes some serious heat to toast them but I'm unsure what low heat/long term would do to it.

M1A Shooter
07-22-2012, 21:54
seal your rice as air tight as possible and freeze it for a day or two to kill any eggs. i say seal it as it will condensate if you dont and then the moisture is an issue to contend with.

deadmanglocking
07-22-2012, 21:59
I will prob dip the bottle neck and cap in paraffin to make it airtight. Good advice on freezing. As a chef I always think of heat to kill bacteria etc... I forget cold can also work sometimes

kirgi08
07-23-2012, 07:25
seal your rice as air tight as possible and freeze it for a day or two to kill any eggs. i say seal it as it will condensate if you dont and then the moisture is an issue to contend with.

A week ta 10 days.As ta sealing a good freezer bag will stop moisture issues.'08.

quake
07-23-2012, 07:46

A week ta 10 days.As ta sealing a good freezer bag will stop moisture issues.'08.

I do similar with rice & beans both. I put the store bag (up to 50-lb size) inside a heavy plastic trash bag & tie it good & tight; then leave it in the freezer for a week or so.

One thing I'm careful about is to NOT open the outer bag while the rice is still cold at all, as doing so will invite condensation. I tend to leave it in the tied-up outer bag until getting ready to bucket them up; usually a few days, so they have plenty of time to get back to room temp before opening them.

I've read that this really isn't necessary if you do a good job with the O2 absorbers; can't say if that's right or not.

benjaminblake
07-26-2012, 19:16
Be careful to use only fresh bottles, not the used ones and that to made from virgin plastic granules not the recycled ones.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-27-2012, 05:53
Be careful to use only fresh bottles, not the used ones and that to made from virgin plastic granules not the recycled ones.

No two liter bottle from soda is going to be a non food safe bottle.

That said, the bottles WILL breakdown after a couple years, even just sitting in your closet. Keeping food long term means protecting it from LIGHT, OXYGEN, and MOISTURE.

kirgi08
07-27-2012, 08:34
Kinda disagree,the older 3lt bottles are thicker and will last a lot longer.'08.

Raiden
07-27-2012, 08:52
I was able to get a few cartons of unused assorted-size clear PET bottles from a local beverage distributor, for just $5 a carton. We were using them to help remote villages purify their water in the sun (SODIS (http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN)), when boiling it wasn't as convenient or always an option. That's when I also first saw that trick of filling them with water, and using them to conduct sunlight through holes in a roof, in practice. The PET preforms (aka baby bottles) (http://www.cacheboxstore.com/products/Soda-Bottle-Preform-Cache.html) ended up making decent specimen bottles, and I kept a few to store batteries or loose ammo when on the trail. Stateside, I picked up more for making small geocaches, and organizing my toolbox.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-27-2012, 10:35
Kinda disagree,the older 3lt bottles are thicker and will last a lot longer.'08.

Maybe true.. but where is he going to get "older" two/three liter bottles if he is starting now?

I KNOW grains stored in metal drums and mylar are still useable and fine 50+ years after my dad put them in there.

I seriously doubt the same will be said for grains just poured into a plastic bottle and stacked in a closet.

But we much each choose our path and do as we see fit.

BMH
07-27-2012, 10:58
This website offers all kinds of glass, plastic, and tin containers. Didn't see any 2 liter plastic bottles. They do offer glass jugs. http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.aspx

kirgi08
07-27-2012, 11:15
Maybe true.. but where is he going to get "older" two/three liter bottles if he is starting now?

I KNOW grains stored in metal drums and mylar are still useable and fine 50+ years after my dad put them in there.

I seriously doubt the same will be said for grains just poured into a plastic bottle and stacked in a closet.

But we much each choose our path and do as we see fit.

I can go ta my local grocer and get them today,they are mainly used for "store" brand sodas.'08.