New Springfield XDS review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Springfield XDS review

Scott3670
07-21-2012, 21:01
Well I got my Springfield XDS and had a chance to shoot it today before the rain really hit. Anyway, I'm not the best at writing reviews but here goes.

Initial thoughts
This gun was really tight upon initial disassembly. It wasn't really soaked in grease but still required a good cleaning. And when I shook the gun there was no rattle. Overall, I was very impressed with this gun. And FWIW I got the "range kit" which included a kydex holster, two-mag holder, extra backstrap, extra insert for the fiberoptic site, and two mags. Not a bad deal at all.

Disassembly
This gun breaks down kind of like a SIG would. The only real differences are that the takedown lever swings UP instead of down, and in order to fully remove the slide you have to pull the trigger. This was a bit counterintuitive at first but I quickly got used to it. One thing that needs to be stated here is that when the takedown lever is in the "up" position you cannot insert a magazine into the gun. I think this was done for safety reasons, and I have no problem with this.

Range time
My first thought was that this little gun would kick hard and that shooting it a lot would suck. However, I am happy to report that this gun was a joy to shoot.

I shot 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230 FMJ from Wal-Mart. The gun functioned absolutely flawlessly and the recoil was much better than I expected. I shot at 7 yards and had no problem keeping my groups at less than 2 inches. After the first 100 rounds I shot 20 rounds of 185 grain Gold Dot and again the gun functioned perfectly, and the groups were only marginally larger.

About the only issue worth mentioning is that my weak hand thumb kept rubbing against the takedown lever. This is just because of the position of my hands and has no bearing on the gun itself. I think that if I just work on my grip then this won't be an issue. And even after 120 rounds my thumb was only moderately sore. No big deal.

Final thoughts
Will this gun see any time as a carry gun? Oh heck yeah, and I think it's safe to say that I'll fell just fine with the gun and 1 or 2 extra mags with me. This gun is very light and very thin so concealing it will be quite easy. I would definitely recommend this gun for anyone who is looking for a small 45 for concealed carry. Naturally ymmv.

Eye candy
No review would be complete without the obligatory picture. Enjoy, and thanks for reading my review.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h71/Scott3670/100_1389.jpg

carbuncle
07-21-2012, 23:53
Good review, thanks for sharing that. I love the look of the XDs, definitely need to rent one!

RYNOCG201
07-21-2012, 23:57
Nice review and nice gun! Thanks!

RYNOC

Beanie-Bean
07-22-2012, 04:58
Congrats, Scott! Glad to see that all went well for you for its maiden voyage out to the range.

The "guns and booze" reference also made me smile! That was an excellent thread :supergrin:

I have recently picked up (finally!) an XD-S, and one of the guys from XDTalk recommended this for me:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Springfield_XDs_45ACP_7rd_Extended_Magazine_XDS500_p/xd-s50071.htm

They do not mess around--I got the box for these on my front porch yesterday, along with some extra mags for my Ruger SR-22. Top notch place to deal with. Just thought I would pass along the good info for you.

houseflipper
07-22-2012, 05:51
I'm still deciding between the XDs and the S&W Shield. And don't say get both, I'm out of safe room.

yellolab
07-22-2012, 08:31
I like my xds much better than my g36

Kevin

45caldan
07-22-2012, 08:47
I handled one the other day and got the distinct impression that the trigger guard would bother me/irritate me when shooting.
Do you find this to be true in any way?

Scott3670
07-22-2012, 09:30
I had no issues with the trigger guard. This gun felt really good in my hands.

bac1023
07-22-2012, 18:42
Congrats! :cool:

cowboy1964
07-22-2012, 19:29
Would like to see some chronographing of rounds from this little bulldog.

JoeBobOutfitters
08-06-2012, 19:56
I have recently picked up (finally!) an XD-S, and one of the guys from XDTalk recommended this for me:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Springfield_XDs_45ACP_7rd_Extended_Magazine_XDS500_p/xd-s50071.htm

They do not mess around--I got the box for these on my front porch yesterday, along with some extra mags for my Ruger SR-22. Top notch place to deal with. Just thought I would pass along the good info for you.

Thanks for the order. Glad the speedy shipping was to your satisfaction :supergrin:

We've been getting XDs' and 7rd XDs mags in as fast as we can get em. None of us here at the store have gotten the chance to shoot one yet unfortunately, as they sell too fast. These things are very cool!

glock2740
08-06-2012, 20:16
Congrats! I can't wait to check one out in person. :cool:

AKRover
08-06-2012, 20:28
I'm seriously thinking of delaying my next 1911 in favor of the XDS. I think this would be an excellent gun in an ankle holster as a backup gun or when carrying my Delta Elite is impractical.

MisterEngineer
08-06-2012, 23:16
Definitely an amazing gun. Picked one up 2 days ago. I agree that it is very pleasant to shoot, I enjoy it more than my G23. I mean, you can tell that it's a 45, but it has very manageable recoil.

I actually replaced my G26 with the XDs and am very happy so far.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Scott3670
08-06-2012, 23:25
I like my XDs so much that I'm giving serious thought to picking up and XDm in 45. I'm planning a trip to my lgs tomorrow to evaluate this pistol. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a new addition to my gun safe tomorrow.

bandit99
08-07-2012, 13:07
Looks real nice. Any idea how often the recoil spring has to be changed out?

coachg
08-07-2012, 13:19
Glad I saw the link for the 7 round mag. Just ordered one. I bought one about 2 weeks ago to use to mold for holsters. I will be carrying this one quite a bit. Slightly smaller than the PPS.

I have nice slim holsters available for it.

www.pjholster.com

dnuggett
08-07-2012, 13:26
Congrats! After approx 1000 rounds, I really like mine. Be sure to clean it if you plan on carrying. Mine went about 400 rounds of reloads before it started choking. Oh and the extended mags make the grip terribly long, there is a bunch of wasted space.

dnuggett
08-07-2012, 13:30
Would like to see some chronographing of rounds from this little bulldog.

About 40 fps off of the XDM for 230 Ranger +P. High 890's.

dnuggett
08-07-2012, 13:34
I handled one the other day and got the distinct impression that the trigger guard would bother me/irritate me when shooting.
Do you find this to be true in any way?

I don't either. People with Hulk hands have complained about slide bite though. I've never had this issue and my hands are prob a little larger than average.

Beretta92guy
08-07-2012, 16:26
nice review and picture....

i have recently become a huge Springfield fan.......

Beretta92guy
08-07-2012, 16:29
I like my XDs so much that I'm giving serious thought to picking up and XDm in 45. I'm planning a trip to my lgs tomorrow to evaluate this pistol. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a new addition to my gun safe tomorrow.

Scott,

i bought a new XDm 45 4.5" about a month ago

GREAT GUN.......my favorite pistol and runs absolutely flawless.....

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
08-07-2012, 16:33
Scott,

i bought a new XDm 45 4.5" about a month ago

GREAT GUN.......my favorite pistol and runs absolutely flawless.....

Damn dude... turning traitor on the Berettas. You need a new screen name now... :shocked::shocked:

ca survivor
08-08-2012, 13:59
congrats !!!

Scott3670
08-08-2012, 18:12
Well I just ordered a Springfield XDm 9mm today from my lgs. I really wanted the 45 but the grip was just too thick for me. Now all I have to do is wait for them to call me and let me know that my gun arrived - should be about a week or so.

Adamz04
08-08-2012, 19:17
Glad I saw the link for the 7 round mag. Just ordered one. I bought one about 2 weeks ago to use to mold for holsters. I will be carrying this one quite a bit. Slightly smaller than the PPS.

I have nice slim holsters available for it.

www.pjholster.com

Hey there Paul,
Nice to see you on here, I've bought at least 5 of your holsters and love them. I love how you make them exactly how I've always asked.

That xds looks great, I love how simple and clean the lines are. Great review

Magus
08-08-2012, 19:59
Congrats on yours, happy you like it.

Got to handle one recently and I think it's a pretty nice little package.

For me though, didn't care for how it felt in the hand. My biggest gripe is the little raised ridge below the area where your thumb rests. For me, it digs right into my thumb. I'd have to whip out a dremel tool and file that down. Not sure what they were thinking there...seems pointless for that ridge to be there.

Other than that little gripe, seems a solid little carry piece....just not for me though.

Glock40man
08-08-2012, 20:04
Congrats!:cool: