Just Added the OTHER Austrian Plastik Fantastik Steyr C-9A1! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Added the OTHER Austrian Plastik Fantastik Steyr C-9A1!

DaBurna
07-21-2012, 21:05
I decided to go ahead and get it... After research, much fondling over several months, asking questions, and lusting over it on the net.. I got it today...
Haven't shot it yet, but the trigger break is PHENOMENAL! 2 15-round mags. It is not as polished as a Glock, but the trigger break feels better.... I've got a sneaky feeling she's a SHOOTER!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bac1023
07-21-2012, 21:09
Congrats! :cool:

I've wanted one for a while, but I'm done buying plastic pistols.

HKLovingIT
07-21-2012, 21:14
Congrats. I've read lots of good things about them. Be sure and post up a range report. :wavey:

Raven1967
07-21-2012, 22:27
Grats on the Steyr! They are fantastic pistols,mine have been very reliable.

Check out the Steyr website.
http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/

ca survivor
07-22-2012, 10:19
congrats!!!

El_Ron1
07-22-2012, 10:27
I'd like to spend some time trying the sights out.

deputy tom
07-22-2012, 11:09
Nice score! I can't wait to hear how it shoots. tom.:wavey:

The_Gun_Guru
07-22-2012, 15:54
CONGRATS!

I have been lusting after this gun for quite some time. I love the sights - very unique!

It looks tiny, can you take some side by side comparison photos of it with guns roughly the same size? How does it compare in size to a Glock 19?

THANKS!!!

TGG

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 16:53
She's a shooter & A KEEPER!!! 100 rounds of PMC Straight Outta The Box(No Lube, No Cleaning, NADA)... No FTE's no FTF's only one hiccup... She closed on the last round after shooting a string (1time & my finger was probably touching the slide release as it has a small lip tha makes it easy breezy squeeze to access!!
Here's some pics, all shots were off hand @ 7yds Fist Sized Groups on all my targets (3 IPDA STYLE)

**BONUS**
I had the pleasure of shooting a Caracal F QS (Quick Sight) 9mm full sized pistol... SWEEET SHOOTING pistola as well! It's the grouping around the #3 in the photos!!! GREAT DAY!!!

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 16:58
CONGRATS!

I have been lusting after this gun for quite some time. I love the sights - very unique!

It looks tiny, can you take some side by side comparison photos of it with guns roughly the same size? How does it compare in size to a Glock 19?

THANKS!!!

TGG

Guru, I'll have to get back to ya on that brother when I get home It's like having a G19 grip on a G26 slide I'd surmise since it has a 3.6" BBL... I own a G19 & G26... So I'll do some comparison pics....

The only thing I have left to add is... The reset is NOT as distinct as the Glock's, but the pull/take up is soooo clean and crisp... It makes it more inherently accurate in my opinion as of right now. I'll have to do some side -by-side shooting in the near future.

The_Gun_Guru
07-22-2012, 19:11
Guru, I'll have to get back to ya on that brother when I get home It's like having a G19 grip on a G26 slide I'd surmise since it has a 3.6" BBL... I own a G19 & G26... So I'll do some comparison pics....

The only thing I have left to add is... The reset is NOT as distinct as the Glock's, but the pull/take up is soooo clean and crisp... It makes it more inherently accurate in my opinion as of right now. I'll have to do some side -by-side shooting in the near future.

Very cool, looking forward to the comparison pics! :thumbsup:

TGG

ctfireman
07-22-2012, 19:17
I'm a believer & a big fan, great choice!

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 19:32
Factory-Polished feed ramp on my Steyr.... The mags are quality built. One note on the Caracal... The mags are only retained in the weapon by a small lip on the front of the mag... I think this design element is flawed & has a potential for failure. However, the RO who let me shoot it (as it was his personal weapon) reported that he'd shot 1K rounds down the pipe with no malfunctions or failures.

I also was not very impressed with the "Quick Sight" option on the Caracal Model I shot.

nastytrigger
07-22-2012, 19:43
Never seen a Steyr or Caracal in person. Would love to handle both.

Steyr M-9 has always impressed me, look, design, etc wise. Just never had the opportunity to try.

The Caracal, I've heard good things about. When it first came out, I thought it would disappear, but it has gained popularity in strides. I'm not a big fan of the quick sight option on it (granted I've never tried it, but I can already tell it's a feature I don't like).

Powder
07-22-2012, 20:05
CONGRATS!

THANKS!!!

TGG

Here is my C9 and G26.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=223730&d=1331598560

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 20:11
Never seen a Steyr or Caracal in person. Would love to handle both.

Steyr M-9 has always impressed me, look, design, etc wise. Just never had the opportunity to try.

The Caracal, I've heard good things about. When it first came out, I thought it would disappear, but it has gained popularity in strides. I'm not a big fan of the quick sight option on it (granted I've never tried it, but I can already tell it's a feature I don't like).

I held them side-by-side today... The Caracal is sleeker and a tad thinner than the Steyr.... My C9A1 is pretty much Glock 19ish in size, but it is a little bit noticieably wider. I think the Caracal C will sell well in the CCW market as well... Not going to get into an ethnic war (Euro vs. Arab) but feel the Steyr is a superior product in some ways. Example- The lockup when you slide mag home is butter! The trigger felt for predictable on the Steyr as well... That being said... I'll probably end up with a Caracal before the end of the year... It's a promising pistol!

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 20:13
Here's a decent video comparison as well... Excuse his accent..:tongueout:

Glock vs Steyr pistols 17Gen4 vs M9A1 19Gen4 vs C9A1 26Gen4 vs S9A1 - YouTube

RYT 2BER
07-22-2012, 20:59
That steyer looks AWESOME!!! Congrats on an awesome pistol. I love the way they look! Always wanted one if they weren't so "obscure". :thumbsup:

That caracal looks like a pile of pig sh&@! Just sayin :whistling:

DaBurna
07-22-2012, 21:32
That caracal looks like a pile of pig sh&@! Just sayin :whistling:

I won't go that far... I like the looks of the Caracal... Plain, Simple, & seemingly Reliable... The biggest detractors for me are the funky sight setup... And that magazine catch not being a secure design... U can tell Wilhelm worked his mojo on the Glock, Steyr, & now the Caracal!:cool:

unit1069
07-22-2012, 22:53
I know I love my Steyr and I'm sure you will want to keep your C model for a long time.

DaBurna
07-23-2012, 17:29
Some pic comparisons... G19, G26, & Steyr C-9

I also added a couple of pics to compare it to a G30... It's close to the same thickness, but doesn't feel as thick in the hand though...

Walk Soft
07-23-2012, 17:55
I shoot my Caracal C better than any of my Glocks except my Gen 4 17 with a 2.1# trigger pull and I think that's only because of the Dawson sights and longer sight radius.I'd like to try a Steyr.

deputy tom
07-23-2012, 18:47
Some pic comparisons... G19, G26, & Steyr C-9

I also added a couple of pics to compare it to a G30... It's close to the same thickness, but doesn't feel as thick in the hand though...

Excellent report. That baby looks like a keeper for sure. tom.:thumbsup: