My new S&W M&P .40 issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My new S&W M&P .40 issue

Dubble-Tapper
07-21-2012, 21:27
Today i was in the LGS, eyeing some new pistols. i held a new M&P in .40 full size and fell in love with the feel. i like the trigger, slide looks/feels nice, and it was only 450 OTD. having been interested in these guns for some time, i bought it.

i immediately cleaned it, lubed it, and took it out. i was shooting WWB FMJ. i fired 90 rds, and i love the way it functioned, fired, and felt. except one semi-major problem. The mag released 4 different times under recoil. it happened in the first 4-5 mags i put through it, but each time it dropped and failed to chamber a new round, leaving me **** outta luck in a SD situation. i cannot trust this gun if i do not resolve this issue. ive heard this was a problem with the older models, but this one was test fired 2-09-12 so im assuming its newer. the sn is DXF4728. ive been looking into the frame at the mag catch, and i can see its already slightly worn looking. and that spring design for the catch looks like a ****ty design.

has anyone had issues like mine?

what should i do? call smith?

it sucks having issues straight outta the box, i almost bought a G22 g4 instead, i hope i dont regret the S&W, because i really do like the gun.

iam1096
07-21-2012, 21:57
It was a early problem with the M&P's, call S&W. They will send you a new magazine release. No worries, will be fixed in no time. Check to see when the born on date is, check the fired casing in case. It will have the date on it.
I have all Glock models, now I am working on doing the same thing with the M&P's. M&P's are great guns, you will be happy with what you bought.

Dubble-Tapper
07-22-2012, 13:23
im calling monday. anyone have this issue? it seems to be common, they have a sticky about it at the top of the forum at mp-pistol.com.

the mag design seems crappy to me. the catch notch is exposed to the projectile tips and the mag follower as the rounds feed, unlike Glock where the mag catch is separated from the rounds by the metal liner.