Got myself a Ruger LCP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a Ruger LCP!

Metal Angel
07-22-2012, 03:28
Thursday night my wife came home and said, "I got paid early! Let's go get you a gun!". My paycheck always goes to bills, but hers (paid once a month) we try to do fun stuff with.

So I realize there are already a bazillion reviews out on this firearm, but I'm gonna give my impressions anyway.

Out of the box, I immediately noticed that the fit and finish was acceptable, but not nearly as nice as my Glock 19. The more guns I handle, the more I realize how much value you get from a Glock. However, the difference in price tells me I'm comparing apples and oranges. I can't complain about a little machining evidence on a gun that costs less than $300.

When I field stripped it, I was a little disappointed to find the absence of a firing pin block... I also read in the manual that the firearm is not drop safe. I'm pretty sure I remember a recall happening a while back where they changed something about the firing pin (made it lighter maybe?) so that it wouldn't fire when dropped... Maybe they never updated the manual, or maybe I dreamed all that up.

It seems like racking a round in is a little finicky... Not as bad as my brother's Kahr P380, but I can't baby it home like I can with my Glock 19. Also, manually ejecting a round has to be a swift firm action, unlike with a Glock. The ejector is tiny, I guess to save on size and weight. It works fine once I figured that out though. I've just been spoiled by my Glock.

The trigger felt awful at first, but after about 60 rounds and at least that many dry fires, it is very smooth. No grittiness, and it doesn't feel like it stacks up at the end. It is very heavy, but trigger weight doesn't make a lick of difference to me, smoothness and predictable break are the only thing I care about and the LCP is acceptable in both those categories. The reset is weird. It feels like it has reset before it actually has. I have noticed that some DA revolvers are that way too. Also I am sort of disappointed that it's not a real double action, it has to be half cocked like striker guns.

I took it to the range today and put 50 rounds of UMC and 10 Gold Dots through it. I realize that's not as much as some people require of their carry guns, but it ran flawlessly for those rounds, and it will certainly see more range time in the coming weeks. It shoots better than I had hoped. At 10 yards I was able to keep most rounds on the Shoot-N-C Gopher I was using as a target. The sights are small, but plenty usable. The shape of the gun makes it pretty uncomfortable to shoot, but it doesn't feel like my purchase on the grip is affected by its poor ergonomics. Obviously a nice ergonomic grip would ruin its biggest strength- concealability.

And the main reason I bought it, it carries wonderfully. I have already carried it with and without my Glock 19. It feels great to throw it in my pocket at the beginning of the day and never take it out until bed. Now I can always have a firearm on me, even when my Glock won't work.

Angry Fist
07-22-2012, 03:32
I could use one of those. I have owned, and sold 3 P-11s. Must be a reason.

4 glocks
07-22-2012, 05:22
My GF just bought one. She liked mine. It has to be one of the best slip in your pocked carry options out there.
We just shot hers 172 rounds first time out 100%.
Mine has about 1,000 rounds 100%.

G23Gen4.40
07-22-2012, 08:13
I got one a few months ago. About 200 rounds through it with zero issues. While I am not a big .380ACP fan, it does make for a great CCW gun, for when my G23 or G27 just wont work. I sometimes use it as a BUG to one of my Glocks.

frankmako
07-22-2012, 08:17
it is allway good to have a gun that you can drop in your pocket in the morning and it is with you all day.

tbyron
07-22-2012, 08:20
I picked one up a couple months ago. Makes concealed carry super simple. If you own one, and can legally carry, it can just be pocket holstered and nearly forgotten.

I always try to carry my Glock 26 when possible. But sometimes, situations make that difficult. With an LCP, I don't have a reason not to have a gun with me at all times.

People tend to complain about the trigger. It takes some practice, but its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

azbuckeye
07-22-2012, 09:35
I just picked up an LCP and have been very happy with it thus far. No issues and it carries like a dream. Much nicer in hot weather like we have here in Phoenix than strapping on the G19 or G26. Plus, it'll make a nice BUG when cooler weather returns.

bac1023
07-22-2012, 16:21
Congrats on the LCP.

Lowjiber
07-22-2012, 21:18
I have an LCP that I often carry in a Blackhawk #1 in my front pocket.

They're a sweet little BUG.

I prefer a second gun to an extra mag for my G26 when traveling through North Las Vegas...the crime capitol of Nevada.

southernshooter
07-23-2012, 03:13
Like my LCP also. Usually, when carrying a larger pistol I find myself thinking "this thing is killing me" Uncomfortable. LCP in the pocket is not uncomfortable. Yeah, I know, they are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.
Check out the "elsiepea" forum about LCP's

ZombieJoe
07-23-2012, 13:19
Its a great little gun! I just hit the 400 mark w/ mine. No issues, well except the first couple times out my gf had trouble limp wristing it, but you cant blame that on the gun.

Congards on yours.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-23-2012, 14:01
Nice write up.

If you ever have problems with the slide chambering and closing all the way, keep in mind there are heavier Wolff springs available for it :)

Mine likes the Hornady Critical Defense, because of the pointy bullets. Didn't like the wide mouth Gold Dots that my Glocks enjoy.

motorcyclist
07-23-2012, 15:28
One of the best pistols I've ever bought. It goes with with me everywhere. Perfect size to slip in the pocket and its been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo. On another thread everybody is recommending the tiny 9's or a J frame for a pocket gun. Great guns, but you tolerate them in your pocket, the LCP you forget is in your pocket.

porschedog
07-23-2012, 15:55
Congrats

I got one a few months ago and it pretty much disappears in my shorts pocket. It shoots ok, and goes bang every time I press the loud button. No complaints here.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-23-2012, 16:37
every time I press the loud button.

I'm stealing that :)

rednoved
07-23-2012, 16:44
Congrats on the purchase.

Obviously a nice ergonomic grip would ruin its biggest strength- concealability.

A Hogue grip wouldn't be too bad.
http://www.hoguestore.com/images/products/18100L.jpg