Stocking up? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up?

GLOCK24-7
07-22-2012, 06:29
I'am about to drop some serious money on AR, AK, and Glock hi cap magazines. I think something is about to come down, or am I being to paranoid?

Highspeedlane
07-22-2012, 06:32
I don't believe anything is going to happen until after the election. Congress pays attention to polling on that issue, and at the present there is no appetite to pursue legislation that would imperil their candidacies.

Lior
07-22-2012, 06:44
If you are a good guy, have disposable income and enjoy shooting, then investing in firearms, ammunition and accessories is a good thing.

GLOCK24-7
07-22-2012, 07:09
I don't believe anything is going to happen until after the election. Congress pays attention to polling on that issue, and at the present there is no appetite to pursue legislation that would imperil their candidacies.

I did not think of that, that's a great point.

SouthpawG26
07-22-2012, 07:40
Yet, I'll predict that in the coming weeks and months, you'll come across more than one shop, online or otherwise, carefully implying to "get your bigass mags while you still can".......

Bruce M
07-22-2012, 07:46
How fast can legislation get through Congress from the time it is first written until it is signed into law?

Faulkner
07-22-2012, 07:53
I've never stopped stocking up. Especially .22 LR ammo.

skeeter7
07-22-2012, 08:17
I was at the gun shop Friday afternoon and when I saw that the 30 round AR mags were selling quickly, a light bulb went off and I went ahead and bought a few as well just in case. I don't think any ban will come down right now, but you can never be too sure I guess.

M2 Carbine
07-22-2012, 09:11
It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't recall ever being sorry because I stocked up on ammo and mags.

CBennett
07-22-2012, 09:14
paradoid imo if you think something is gonna happen "soon".

Glockdude1
07-22-2012, 09:20
It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't recall ever being sorry because I stocked up on ammo and mags.

:agree:

bowtie454
07-22-2012, 09:20
I can easily see a lot of lip service paid to the issue of "assualt weapons"/hi-cap mags/etc. over the next few months, but Obama won't risk re-election by promising bold new gun control measures. There will be the usual lot in Congress introducing new gun control legislation in the wake of the shooting, but it won't pass (for the same reason). After the election, if Obama is re-elected and the Republicans take a hit in Congress, you may see some new legislation. I don't see a new AWB, but limits on magazine capacities wouldn't suprise me, especially for AR's/AK's/etc. Ownership of a 100 round drum for an AR is a tough position to defend to the general public.

Highspeedlane
07-22-2012, 09:45
After the election, if Obama is re-elected and the Republicans take a hit in Congress, you may see some new legislation.

Exactly. If post November 6th we see the same constituency as was in place following the '08 election, brace yourself for a very rough ride.

And as others have pointed out, buying ammo when you can afford it is never a bad thing just as a general rule.

Decguns
07-22-2012, 10:24
If you remember, Obama tried to get a new assault weapons ban passed through Congress in April of 2009. He couldn't get any support from his own party when they were in total control of DC. Nothing happened when Gabby was shot. The Dems remember the beating they took in 1994. They don't want to make a bad situation (recession) worse on their members seeking reelection.

The GOP will likely be in control of both houses of Congress after the election (even if Obama wins). There's no gun bans in our future.

If you need AR mags, one of the best deals out there is from D&H (aka DSG Arms). Pick up a 10 pack of 30rd teflon mags with Magpul followers for $85. Singles are $9.25. They have PMAGs and Tangodown ARCs too. There was never a shortage of AK or AR hi-cap mags even during the 1994-2004 ban. But Glock mags definitely became scarce.

ArmoryDoc
07-22-2012, 11:20
We live in perilous times what with political upheaval and open definace of our Constitutional rights. I always remember a saying that I think is most wise. "Don't wait until you're thirsty to dig a well."

Faulkner
07-24-2012, 18:12
If you remember, Obama tried to get a new assault weapons ban passed through Congress in April of 2009. He couldn't get any support from his own party when they were in total control of DC. Nothing happened when Gabby was shot. The Dems remember the beating they took in 1994. They don't want to make a bad situation (recession) worse on their members seeking reelection.

The GOP will likely be in control of both houses of Congress after the election (even if Obama wins). There's no gun bans in our future.

If you need AR mags, one of the best deals out there is from D&H (aka DSG Arms). Pick up a 10 pack of 30rd teflon mags with Magpul followers for $85. Singles are $9.25. They have PMAGs and Tangodown ARCs too. There was never a shortage of AK or AR hi-cap mags even during the 1994-2004 ban. But Glock mags definitely became scarce.

They are waiting for THE EVENT which will give them the popular consensus to enact extensive gun control 'reform'. They are probably disappointed that the massacre in Colorado wasn't it. No one knows what that event will be but itís liable to be something public, probably video recorded for the world to see, and the target will be such that it tugs on the heartstrings of a cross section of average Americans. Thatís when the anti-gunners will strike.

maestrogustav
07-24-2012, 19:01
You won't need an actual law in place for the panic buying to start. It will be just the possibility of a law.

It is a sinking feeling indeed when you realize you're running low on ammo, or have a couple items necessary to complete your build, and you are surprised to find these items unavailable.

If you have cash, it would not be imprudent to move forward planned purchases, esp ammo and mags.

NEOH212
07-25-2012, 02:45
You have nothing to worry about until after the election.

At least it will give you some time. No go! Hurry and buy up everything in sight. The sky is falling!

Oh no!

:rofl:

Spiffums
07-25-2012, 06:04
I can easily see a lot of lip service paid to the issue of "assualt weapons"/hi-cap mags/etc. over the next few months, but Obama won't risk re-election by promising bold new gun control measures. There will be the usual lot in Congress introducing new gun control legislation in the wake of the shooting, but it won't pass (for the same reason). After the election, if Obama is re-elected and the Republicans take a hit in Congress, you may see some new legislation. I don't see a new AWB, but limits on magazine capacities wouldn't suprise me, especially for AR's/AK's/etc. Ownership of a 100 round drum for an AR is a tough position to defend to the general public.

Kinda like the need for a car that goes faster than 70 mph. That is the highest speed limit so no need to go faster than that.

grumpy1
07-25-2012, 06:24
I think it is smart and reasonable to stock up with whatever level an individual is comfortable with and within their budget. I don't have a ton on magazines but what I consider more than enough for me.

Ammo in particular IMO is a smart item to stock up on when one can buy at great prices. Myself I keep at least a three year supply of what I expect to shoot. The ammo I have bought in the past has already proved to be a decent investment due to prices going up. I also think ammo might be a target to special taxation in the future that can significantly increase the end price and that can be done at the state level. There is already an effort to do that in at least Illinois.

A concern of mine is that IF BO is relected he could do a lot of damage to gun owner rights via Executive orders or in particular a change in the balance of the Supreme Court if one of the conservative Justices needs to be replaced.

stopatrain
07-25-2012, 06:30
It's a good time to buy.

Kentguy
07-25-2012, 07:05
Glock24-7,

To your original point, buying Carbines and Hi-Cap magazines are fine and when it comes to ammo I think grumpy1 hit the nail on the head;

“ I think it is smart and reasonable to stock up with whateverl evel an individual is comfortable with and within their budget."

I reload my own however I am constrained by my budget and by my ability to store large quantities of ammo. I do have a very comfortable amount for my recreational shooting and personal defense needs.

Have fun and be safe

Alan

kirgi08
07-25-2012, 07:55
Buy it cheap,and stack it deep.'08.

Dreamliner787
07-25-2012, 09:14
Always good to have ample amounts of ammo and high capacity mags; if for anything you'll have extra mags for your guns and ammo to shoot up at the range. Mags and ammo has never really down in prices so it's a good commodity to have inventory of.

cowboy1964
07-25-2012, 11:48
The Tucson shooting last year was a prime excuse for a ban on hi-cap pistol mags. Nothing happened. As has been stated, nothing will happen unless and until Obama is re-elected. Even then it's going to take time and could still be blocked. I'd be more worried about new state laws except those states that are likely to do something probably did a long time ago.

glock2740
07-25-2012, 13:49
Ask obama if he thinks the American public is stupid and he'll say, "No. I know they are stupid." This media blitz on anti-gun crap is going to stay around until the election and if, God forbid, he wins a re-election, the anti-gun crusade will be in full swing, as he will have NOTHING to lose. And don't think for a minute, that he wouldn't love to go down in history as the "anti-gun president", who disarmed American citizens. So, to answer the OP's question...buy all you can.

LMGTEXAS
07-26-2012, 10:04
Sure - Unless you live in one of the border states with Mexico and have to deal with the influx of criminal illegal aliens. We have one or two deputies at the most on the road at any one time, covering 3000 square miles. Obviously calling 911 in an emergency won't get you a timely response. IF I have to go outside at night, or am in one of my pastures working during the day, my AR15 has a Surefire 100 round mag in it (every 3rd round a tracer).

Nakanokalronin
07-26-2012, 10:26
Minus the political talk, stocking up on mags is never a bad thing. They're a consumable when it comes to any gun weather it be a rifle, shotgun or handgun. I make sure to always have a supply of hard wear parts, springs and magazines on hand for every firearm I own.