Another .40 S&W question & one for my wife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another .40 S&W question & one for my wife

TexasGlockster
07-22-2012, 07:52
First off, thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. You may remember several very new-to-guns questions I have asked you and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them. Before I was unarmed and unaware. Thanks to you and this forum, what was originally only meant to be a hobby has developed into a new perspective. I am now a CHL holder and I carry a knife, flashlight, and my G23 daily. Perhaps more importantly, I also find myself much more aware of my surroundings than I ever did before. So again, thanks for taking the great amount of time necessary to do this.

Second, I have been looking at ballistics in great depth regarding my .40 S&W G23. I read in a previous post (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430729&highlight=180) that you like the 155 and 165 bullet weight. Based on its excellent record, I have been practicing with Speer Lawman 165 and carrying 165 GD. I recently had a chance to shoot some 180 however, and felt like I shot it better (whether I actually did or not is something I am going to have to investigate more purposefully in later range sessions). Do you know of police agencies using a 180 gr bullet? Do you have a preference for the Federal HST over the Speer GD in 180? Are you aware of the 180's track record in real world use?

I'm probably splitting hairs here but I just can't help think (especially in light of recent events) that if I ever needed to protect my family I want the absolute best possible ammo on my side. Overall, considering every factor, would you be more comfortable carrying the 165 Speer GD or the 180 in HST?

On to my last question...promise...:embarassed:. As I have taken my wife out and gotten her more accustomed to shooting (she still hates shooting my G23 but likes shooting a .22 pistol we have...no surprise there), I am starting to make some progress in the carry department. As a future ADA I really want her to carry for protection, but don't think I can get her to do it unless she enjoys shooting the gun she will carry. Is there a .380 you recommend (I realize its not an ideal round) or a .38 revolver that has a small yet comfortable grip, with a reasonable pull? I am also trying to find a place where she could try out a S&W Shield, thinking that its small grip size might be ideal for her. Do you have any experience with that pistol?

Sorry this post is so long. Thanks for all your time and for all your wisdom.

Mas Ayoob
07-22-2012, 23:20
Tex, answering your questions in order:

Lots of departments have been very happy with 180 grain subsonic .40 JHP and have stayed with it. Some, however, have had mixed results and gone to either lighter, faster .40 or a larger caliber. By contrast, the departments with the mid-weight .40 bullets at 1140-1200 fps velocity seem to have been universally happy with the results in shootings. The only major agency to change from that to 180 grain has apparently done so because they didn't like the recoil of 155 grain at 1200 fps for some of their people, and because it was harder on the guns. Therefore, I for one am staying with 155/1200 or 165/1140 for that caliber.

The HST is a front-runner for "best 180 subsonic .40." I will personally stay with the 155/1200 or the 165/1140, but won't argue with those who choose a 180 HST. As some folks say about something else, "Let those who ride, decide."

If it's recoil that turns your wife off on your .40 caliber Glock 23, the kick of a .38 Special snub ain't gonna be any better. If she's comfortable with a .380, well, a .380 that she carries will do her a helluva lot more good than a .38 Special or .40 that is left at home. That said, you might want to try her on a "shootable" mini-9mm such as the Glock 26, which might prove to be an excellent compromise between what she's comfortable with and what you'd like her to have. The 9mm S&W Shield that you mention is another very promising alternative.

Hoping this is of help,
Mas