Heard a Ruger LCP rusted and wouldn't fire [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Heard a Ruger LCP rusted and wouldn't fire

ithaca_deerslayer
07-22-2012, 15:00
I carry and love a Ruger LCP, so this story is interesting to me. I heard it 3rd person, from people I trust (someone saw it happen).

A person carries an LCP IWB every day, no holster, but with a clip mounted on the gun, and a round chambered. The person last target shot it a couple weeks ago, and went to target shoot it again. It would not fire.

When taken apart, it was rusted and dry.

Nothing against that model or Ruger, it just seems an interesting story. I may carry a gun for a couple months without shooting or unloading it. I'd like to think this wouldn't happen to one of my guns, but who knows :)

All I'm taking away from this story is that it is possible, and not to neglect cleaning and oiling to such an extreme :)

I do not know exactly which parts were frozen.

4 glocks
07-22-2012, 15:29
I carry and love a Ruger LCP, so this story is interesting to me. I heard it 3rd person, from people I trust (someone saw it happen).

A person carries an LCP IWB every day, no holster, but with a clip mounted on the gun, and a round chambered. The person last target shot it a couple weeks ago, and went to target shoot it again. It would not fire.

Nothing againt that model or Ruger, it just seems an interesting story. I may carry a gun for a couple months without shooting or unloading it. I'd like to think this wouldn't happen to one of my guns, but who knows :)

All I'm taking away from this story is that it is possible, and not to neglect cleaning and oiling to such an extreme :)

I guess anything is possible but I can not see it rusting in a couple weeks maybe it was sweat on every day.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-22-2012, 18:58
I guess anything is possible but I can not see it rusting in a couple weeks maybe it was sweat on every day.

The "couple" weeks could mean a few. I wouldn't take that part too literal.

Does seem like a tall tail. Wish I had a look at the gun first hand.

fwm
07-22-2012, 19:33

Nothing against that model or Ruger, it just seems an interesting story. I may carry a gun for a couple months without shooting or unloading it. I'd like to think this wouldn't happen to one of my guns, but who knows :)

Clip carry can rust a blued or parkerized gun in a mater of days. Been there, done that. Now my clip carries are chrome and plastic.

Haldor
07-23-2012, 08:35
Being a striker fired pistol I doubt that sweat would freeze up the firing pin. Not unless the guy was literally swimming in sweat.

Shooting it with excess lube in the firing pin channel and not cleaning it out afterward. Now that can hang up a striker fired pistol.

CBennett
07-23-2012, 08:51
yeah i guess im calling BS on this one. the firing pin would have had to have rusted fast in place or what ever. meh id NEVER clip carry anyways so not a issue for me.

banger
07-23-2012, 08:54
I don't get it...

I come from the days of "wooden ships and iron men".

We carried pistols of blued steel and wooden grips.

I carried just such a weapon for nearly 30 years, from triple digits to below zero.

From sand storm to down pours of rain, to snow storms etc..

All we did was take care of our pistols.

A wipe down with an oily rag at the end of shift, or an occasional cleaning.

We had no such problems...

Now, it simply seems that asking moderate and reasonable care is asking too much...

I just don't get it.

CBennett
07-23-2012, 08:54
Being a striker fired pistol I doubt that sweat would freeze up the firing pin. Not unless the guy was literally swimming in sweat.

Shooting it with excess lube in the firing pin channel and not cleaning it out afterward. Now that can hang up a striker fired pistol.

yup I found early on why I was having so many problems with the SE9c..of course it was like Feb when I got it but I HAD to give it a QUICK cleaning and get it to the range..on a 30 degree day I was getting light strikes and such with WWB(mysteriously everything else in over 150 rounds that day worked except WWB. Well when i got it home I thought...hmmm I never checked out that striker area..it had a bunch of crap in there and what looked like "cosmoline" type crap..im sure that+30 degree weather= problems..cleaned that up and in 1500 rounds since then never a stoppage for any reason.

CBennett
07-23-2012, 09:01
I don't get it...

I come from the days of "wooden ships and iron men".

We carried pistols of blued steel and wooden grips.

I carried just such a weapon for nearly 30 years, from triple digits to below zero.

From sand storm to down pours of rain, to snow storms etc..

All we did was take care of our pistols.

A wipe down with an oily rag at the end of shift, or an occasional cleaning.

We had no such problems...

Now, it simply seems that asking moderate and reasonable care is asking too much...

I just don't get it.

Lol its laziness and it seems inherent these days..Think of the people that instead of wiping down and or cleaning a gun after a session just leave it for later or only clean every 3rd range session..just pure laziness IMO.

And on this very board and I will save the person who said this the embarrassment of not naming him or her..but in one of those.. How often do you clean you gun threads they answered something to the effect..when it looks dirty or after every 300 rounds or a certain amount of time...I just had to laugh a bit...then a week or so later same person is asking a question about why he is having problems with his guns not working right lol.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-23-2012, 11:56
Lol its laziness and it seems inherent these days..Think of the people that instead of wiping down and or cleaning a gun after a session just leave it for later or only clean every 3rd range session..just pure laziness IMO.

And on this very board and I will save the person who said this the embarrassment of not naming him or her..but in one of those.. How often do you clean you gun threads they answered something to the effect..when it looks dirty or after every 300 rounds or a certain amount of time...I just had to laugh a bit...then a week or so later same person is asking a question about why he is having problems with his guns not working right lol.

I wasn't in that discussion (I don't think), but I don't clean after each range session.

I have a vague idea that I should clean after about 200 rounds, or after about 3 months, whichever comes first :)

Muzzleloader is different. That things gets hard to load after 3 shots.

And yes, I am definitely lazy. Always have been. And I've probably worked harder fighting against those trying to reform my ways than just going along with the program. I must be stubborn, too :)

But this story I relayed in this thread has me wanting to clean my guns more often.

dnuggett
07-23-2012, 13:29
On the subject of how often to clean... that is dependent on the environment and the gun. I'll tell you that I have run my 226 up to close to 1000 rounds before I have cleaned it. Hell, I did 600 of those rounds in a morning/afternoon training session. The idea that all guns have to be cleaned after 2-300 rounds is garbage. Some of us shoot more than than that in an hour.

I also have run my new XDS to 400 rounds and last range session it started failing to eject. Different gun entirely and clearly it needs a little more TLC.

Know your gun and the environment its been in and you'll know when to clean it. A steadfast rule on when to clean doesn't apply to many of us who shoot a fair amount.

cloudbuster
07-23-2012, 20:55
Newsflash: Poorly-treated, poorly-carried, poorly-maintained weapons are unreliable!

Why weren't we told about this decades ago?!!

G26S239
07-24-2012, 05:26

The LCP is a DAO hammer fired pistol Haldor.

CBennett
07-24-2012, 06:47

I missed that too :) and I even knew it is as Id like that or a LC9 and I totally didnt remember lol

Haldor
07-26-2012, 19:37

Funny thing is my wife has one and I hadn't noticed. It just looks like it aught to be striker fired. Anyway same thing, a frozen firing pin is more likely to be caused by excess lube that gets cooked by the heat of firing than by sweat.

Simple test for a Glock. Remove the slide, depress the firing pin safety plunger (part #8 in the drawing below) and give the slide a shake. You should hear the firing pin rattling back and forth inside the slide. If you don't then you need to detail strip the slide and clean out the firing pin channel.

http://www.austinchl.com/images/Glock_parts_diagram2.jpg

G26S239
07-26-2012, 21:25
I agree with you there, sweat is not generally likely to get in the firing pin channel.