Help me help my wife shoot better. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me help my wife shoot better.

2-tap
07-22-2012, 15:15
Several months back i got my wife a s&w m&p 9c. The only thing she had prior to this was a taurus 85. She has not shot a lot untill recently and i am no expert but shes having trouble shooting the m&p. She shoots way low almost every time but today i notices that she was doing rather well with the taurus in single action and a 22 that has a nice trigger. At first i thought it was sight picture or flinching but now im thinking the trigger is too hard for her smaller hands because she does well with other guns. Just want some opinions before i go buy a trigger kit and to be honest im not sure if j want to do that because this model does not have thumb safety.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Sharkey
07-22-2012, 15:22
I have girlie size hands and the M&P9C has relatively light trigger in my opinion especially considering the Taurus 85.

I'd do a couple things: First and foremost, do not teach her anything. Couples do not do well at this. No, I am not joking. Send her to a gun class. Second, there are different tools out there to strengthen hand grip and she might try that. My guess is she is anticipating recoil.

Haven't seen her shoot, but I doubt it is the M&P trigger.

2-tap
07-22-2012, 15:25
Yea i dint have a trigger pull gauge but the m&p is prolly around 5 or 6lbs its not that great in my opinion bit not because of the pull. My m&p shield has a much better trigger. I will say that if you pull the hammer back on the taurus the trigger pull is quite a bit lighter than the m&p

JaPes
07-22-2012, 15:27
Get her some time with a NRA certified instructor. An hour with a good instructor is worth it. They'll be able to point out and help correct any flaws in basic shooting technique.

Another benefit is that she won't take any offense to anything the 3rd party instructor might point out, where as if you did the same thing she might because of the husband/wife relationship.

Also, shooting left is common for right hand dominant shooters when shooting a striker fired pistol for the first time. I know I did it with a Glock 19. My buddy did it with a XD. My co-worker did it with a S&W M&P 9. Try making sure that the pad of her finger is on the center of the trigger and she's pressing the trigger straight back.

countrygun
07-22-2012, 15:35
I have girlie size hands and the M&P9C has relatively light trigger in my opinion especially considering the Taurus 85.

I'd do a couple things: First and foremost, do not teach her anything. Couples do not do well at this. No, I am not joking. Send her to a gun class. Second, there are different tools out there to strengthen hand grip and she might try that. My guess is she is anticipating recoil.

Haven't seen her shoot, but I doubt it is the M&P trigger.

Absolutely one of the "Golden Rules" in the shooting world.

Co-equal to "Let her choose her own gun"

i have to agrre with the anticipation of recoil as well. There is something else that my wife brought up years ago that may come into play. She told me that, at first. a revolver was fine but that she had a heck of a time with a semi because of "That slide coming back straight at me".

If you think about it, there is a certain "leap of faith" we make when an explosion goes off in our hands and parts are coming back towards our face. You and I may "know" it's supposed to and it will stop when it's supposed to, but sometimes others lack "faith"

2-tap
07-22-2012, 15:40
Your right the first time she shot it shrle was flinching/anticipating bad but today she wasn't. The 38 was hurting her hand bc of the stupid pearl grips she just had to have but she was on target with that despite the useless sights

Billy10mm
07-23-2012, 12:58
Flinch. Need proof, load up a few snap caps into her mags and watch the gun dip as she pulls the trigger.

dnuggett
07-23-2012, 13:19
The best advice has already been said. It makes no matter if you know what you are doing. Find her some training and get out of the way.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-23-2012, 14:11
Of course, send her to an instructor.

If sent to me, I would go over the surprise break with her. Work on it with the 22 that she trusts, and then go up to the 9mm. Might slip a large frame 38 inbetween. Gradual increase in recoil helps to build the trust between her and the gun.

Surprise break means she doesn't want to know when the gun is going to fire, not exactly. Get everything aimed ok (have to make sure she is good with that, too), then start the trigger pull. Slow and steady. Slower. Even slower. So slow, you don't know exactly when it is going to fire. If you don't know when, then you don't know when to flinch :)

Once that basic concept is established, then work on speeding up the trigger pull, slightly.

One half of brain holds gun steady, other half begins the trigger pulls. Two separate thoughts. Try to keep them separate.

Switching back to dryfire also helps. So does going back to a way slow trigger pull. Ok, now go ahead and let yourself speed up a bit. But as soon as the flinching returns (if it returns), slow way down.

Also of course need to make sure a good solid grip and stance, so she can hold the gun steady while pulling the trigger.

Anyway, that's the way I'd approach it. But if you do the same, she'll think you are telling her she is fat and can't cook. Better to find an instructor.

jeanderson
07-23-2012, 14:19
My wife shoots an M&P 22, which is very similar in size to the M&P 9. She is inconsistent on her shots - basically all over, mostly low. I think for her, the problem is the grip is too large. She shoots right-handed and feels more comfortable putting her left hand lower on the grip (half under), rather than around her right hand, to help support the gun. Of course, the 22 doesn't have the recoil.

2-tap
07-23-2012, 15:12
I was going to do the snap cap thing and i forgot