THe more answers the bette for all [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : THe more answers the bette for all

purrrfect 10
07-22-2012, 15:20
What food/ can goods should I get ready any how many of each for the wife and I. What else? Please help me with the food and how I should stock and what I should have on hand for 6 months

Carry16
07-22-2012, 15:49
I would start with things you enjoy eating - perhaps dehydrated chicken ala king, chicken & rice, tuna, sack of rice from the bulk store, peanut butter, canned soup, crackers, seasonings, paper products, maybe a few MREs, canned or dehydrated vegetables. Depending on where you're located maybe a water filter, purifier tablets, some pool shock so you can make your own bleach, first aid supplies, spare glasses, flashlights, batteries. The lists will be long and varied - just start and it will come together.

purrrfect 10
07-24-2012, 12:56
What do you all have stored the most

sebecman
07-24-2012, 13:20
The foods I eat everyday.

UneasyRider
07-24-2012, 14:39
These are my personal thoughts on food.

http://survivinginamerica.org/SIALinks/food.php

bdcochran
07-24-2012, 17:14
1. you asked about food
2. you mentioned cans
3. you said 6 months.

Let's approach it with some logic.
1. you have budget
2. you have space limitations.

The first goal is to accumulate enough food for the two of you to last one week without having to cook. Cooking requires cleaning, requires fuel, gives off fumes and light.

1. go to the grocery store and buy a can of fish or spam, a can of vegetables and a can of fruit. Add up the calories.
If you aren't hitting at least a couple of thousand, then you know that you aren't going to fare very well. If properly stored, canned food will outlast the expiration dates on the containers.
2. So, first, accumulate enough canned food with enough calories to sustain two people for a week.

3. You will read all kinds of dippy stuff on eating canned dog food. You aren't going to do that. You aren't going to start a garden. You aren't going to pack, preserve, can your own food unless you have experience. You aren't going to want to deal with weevils, moths, desiccant
. That is reality.

4. Go buy commercial coast guard rations, MREs to sustain two people for a week. Then, buy another week's supply. Then buy a third week's supply. Don't go down the path of making your own rations, MREs unless you already have the experience.
Now you have a month's supply of food.

5. Now you can go buy the No. 10 cans of long term storage foods. After a month, you will have figured out how not to attract attention to yourself by cooking, how to deal with fuel, and how to deal with illumination.

Now you don't have to deal with moths, food expiration dates, nosy neighbors, making a mess, going up a learning curve.

I have a neighbor. He used to be a top physicist. The power went out in town. He came over and boasted that he had a freezer plan and his freezer was full. I asked when the barbecue would start because he had no electricity.

Too many people on survival boards underestimate the fatigue factor, the learning curves, and the deprivations that come with shtf survival situations. You don't want to make pancakes if your water, electricity, and gas are cut off, do you? Of course not. Spend a few extra coins and start with a plan that allows you to focus on other survival matters than finding and cooking the next meal.

purrrfect 10
07-25-2012, 19:00
1. you asked about food
2. you mentioned cans
3. you said 6 months.

Let's approach it with some logic.
1. you have budget
2. you have space limitations.

The first goal is to accumulate enough food for the two of you to last one week without having to cook. Cooking requires cleaning, requires fuel, gives off fumes and light.

1. go to the grocery store and buy a can of fish or spam, a can of vegetables and a can of fruit. Add up the calories.
If you aren't hitting at least a couple of thousand, then you know that you aren't going to fare very well. If properly stored, canned food will outlast the expiration dates on the containers.
2. So, first, accumulate enough canned food with enough calories to sustain two people for a week.

3. You will read all kinds of dippy stuff on eating canned dog food. You aren't going to do that. You aren't going to start a garden. You aren't going to pack, preserve, can your own food unless you have experience. You aren't going to want to deal with weevils, moths, desiccant
. That is reality.

4. Go buy commercial coast guard rations, MREs to sustain two people for a week. Then, buy another week's supply. Then buy a third week's supply. Don't go down the path of making your own rations, MREs unless you already have the experience.
Now you have a month's supply of food.

5. Now you can go buy the No. 10 cans of long term storage foods. After a month, you will have figured out how not to attract attention to yourself by cooking, how to deal with fuel, and how to deal with illumination.

Now you don't have to deal with moths, food expiration dates, nosy neighbors, making a mess, going up a learning curve.

I have a neighbor. He used to be a top physicist. The power went out in town. He came over and boasted that he had a freezer plan and his freezer was full. I asked when the barbecue would start because he had no electricity.

Too many people on survival boards underestimate the fatigue factor, the learning curves, and the deprivations that come with shtf survival situations. You don't want to make pancakes if your water, electricity, and gas are cut off, do you? Of course not. Spend a few extra coins and start with a plan that allows you to focus on other survival matters than finding and cooking the next meal.

Great idea thank for all the thought into that one. One week is it I'm going to see what that really would be and go from there Thanks

FireForged
07-25-2012, 20:41
My stores consist of:

Albacore Tuna (Can)
Rice
Peanut Butter
Water

...and Datrex food bricks (16 bars each brick)