Florida non-resident CCW permit??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Florida non-resident CCW permit???

Gpruitt54
07-22-2012, 18:58
Recently, I learned that it is possible to receive a Florida non-resident CCW permit. Questions:
Is this true?
Is It it legal?
Have any of you done this?

Where am I seeing this? See the link below:
http://dmztactical.com/florida-non-resident-conceal-carry-firearm-permit-training-course/

Currently I live in Illinois, as I understand it, the only state that does not allow CCW permits. I know that getting a non-resident CCW does not allow me to carry in my state, but I am interested.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Have any of you actually cone this?

steveksux
07-22-2012, 19:00
You can send away for the application by mail. I was going to do it, having family in FL we will visit. But then FL recognized MI permits, right about the time the application arrived, so I never filled it out.

Randy

Bruce M
07-22-2012, 19:07
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

fwm
07-22-2012, 19:19
Something I haven't seen on here is the fact that the application states that you must be eligible for a CCW in your home state. I doubt you will be able to receive an FFL license as a IL resident.

Gpruitt54
07-22-2012, 19:21
According to the website listed, you have to show up for classes. So, for a non-resident, it's a little tough. Or, can one obtain a CCW Permit from the state of Florida or any other state without having to show up at the state authorization office?

Gpruitt54
07-22-2012, 19:31
Something I haven't seen on here is the fact that the application states that you must be eligible for a CCW in your home state. I doubt you will be able to receive an FFL license as a IL resident.

I have an FOID (Firearms Owner ID) card for the state of Illinois. I am not interested in getting an FFL (but, if this required, them OK). I am however, interested in a CCW permit. I understand that this does not allow carrying in Illinois. But some states do recognize CCW permits of other states. I am interested in understanding how Florida can provide non-residents CCW permits. If this is possible, I would love to hold a CCW.

DaneA
07-22-2012, 19:33
I see nothing here that requires you actually be in Florida. However, getting some of the qualifications while residing in the state of Illinois might be difficult. Check out this link:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

ParisArms
07-22-2012, 19:40
Check FL law enforcement division's website.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

steveksux
07-22-2012, 20:02
According to the website listed, you have to show up for classes. So, for a non-resident, it's a little tough. Or, can one obtain a CCW Permit from the state of Florida or any other state without having to show up at the state authorization office?I believe they had a listing of out of state instructors that were certified/acceptable for FL's purposes. Just depends if one is close to you.

Randy

Gpruitt54
07-22-2012, 20:07
I believe they had a listing of out of state instructors that were certified/acceptable for FL's purposes. Just depends if one is close to you.

Randy

You may be right. I looked through the details and I did not see any special instructions for people actually living outside the state.

ChicagoZman
07-22-2012, 20:27
I got my Florida license about ten years ago when I still lived in Illinois. I had taken an NRA class some years before, which was sufficient for the training requirement. Just completed the application, attached the appropriate photographs and had my local PD run my prints.

I moved about five years ago and renewed with Florida at the same time as I applied with Indiana.

Gpruitt54
07-22-2012, 20:36
I got my Florida license about ten years ago when I still lived in Illinois. I had taken an NRA class some years before, which was sufficient for the training requirement. Just completed the application, attached the appropriate photographs and had my local PD run my prints.

I moved about five years ago and renewed with Florida at the same time as I applied with Indiana.

Excellent! So, there is set of training that require formal instructions. In your case, you fulfilled this in an NRA class. What are these trainings? Would these trainings be available in states with no CCW provisions?

IndyGunFreak
07-22-2012, 22:50
I believe Florida only requires a "Home" permit, when you're in a state that issues CCW's (this is why folks from May issue states get screwed on the Florida Non-Res permits)... I imagine for Illinois residents, this shouldn't be an issue (or maybe I'm confusing Florida and Utah)

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 02:52
Also consider a UT non-resident permit. $65 and renewals for it are $15 whereas FL permit is $112 originally and $102 renewal for out of state

http://www.carrysafely.com/utah-concealed-carry-permit.htm

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2012, 04:30
Also consider a UT non-resident permit. $65 and renewals for it are $15 whereas FL permit is $112 originally and $102 renewal for out of state

http://www.carrysafely.com/utah-concealed-carry-permit.htm

Also, I believe that residents of Illinois will have a concealed carry law and CCW permits within the next 2 years. It’s possible that with Utah concealed carry permit training, you may be a step ahead in receiving your Illinois CCW permits, when our lawmakers decide that the people of Illinois are entitled to protect ourselves and our families.”

That guy is either off his medication or totally delusional. I'd love to see Illinois get a shall issue system, but anyone who says that will happen in the next 2yrs, is simply ignorant of Illinois politics.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 05:01
That guy is either off his medication or totally delusional. I'd love to see Illinois get a shall issue system, but anyone who says that will happen in the next 2yrs, is simply ignorant of Illinois politics.

I honestly don't give a damn about that. I was looking at the class for the UT carry permit in IL and that's the first link that came up. His political beliefs don't matter one whit, UT has a strict class and they export the slides required for their permit.

Doesn't matter who the class is from, it's still about half price from FL's permit and renewal is, what, 15% of the price of FL's renewal.

Gpruitt54
07-23-2012, 06:25
I honestly don't give a damn about that. I was looking at the class for the UT carry permit in IL and that's the first link that came up. His political beliefs don't matter one whit, UT has a strict class and they export the slides required for their permit.

Doesn't matter who the class is from, it's still about half price from FL's permit and renewal is, what, 15% of the price of FL's renewal.

Political views aside, you favor the Utah CCW over that of Florida? In another post within this thread, someone said the Utah permit is cheaper than the Florida permit. Would agree with that?

Have you actually taken the classes for Florida or Utah non-resident permit? If so, what are your views on the process and the training.

As an Illinois resident, I am trying to get a bead on which class to take in order to get a CCW permit.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 06:38
Political views aside, you favor the Utah CCW over that of Florida? In another post within this thread, someone said the Utah permit is cheaper than the Florida permit. Would agree with that?

Have you actually taken the classes for Florida or Utah non-resident permit? If so, what are your views on the process and the training.

As an Illinois resident, I am trying to get a bead on which class to take in order to get a CCW permit.

I'm the one who posted the two states' pricing on both the original permit as well as the renewal so yeah I'd bet I agree with the posting.

I'm a vet so I wouldn't have to take anything for FL's permit. I did take UT's class and it was exactly what I expected, general good to know stuff and not a whole lot of surprises.

Why don't you get whichever one you want, that will give you the most useful set of states you can carry in, and after that start taking personal protection classes.

TTex
07-23-2012, 06:57
I think many states no longer honor non-resident permits. Florida has a tough time keeping track of out-of-state criminal activity by permit holders, so I think the non-resident permit is on the way out.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 07:05
I think many states no longer honor non-resident permits. Florida has a tough time keeping track of out-of-state criminal activity by permit holders, so I think the non-resident permit is on the way out.

I believe they'll hang around until all states are shall-issue. It's an excellent source of revenue without a whole lot of downside.

fuzzy03cls
07-23-2012, 07:19
Exactly. If your intention is to get a FL License & then carry in any other state but FL, you can't.
Most states that accept other states only allow licenses if your a resident of that state.
So basically your FL license will only be recognized in FL because your not a resident of FL.

Billspider
07-23-2012, 07:27
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Wow I don't think I have seen so much misinformation in one thread. Above are the links to both Florida and Utah. Get your information from the source.

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2012, 07:37

Wow I don't think I have seen so much misinformation in one thread. Above are the links to both Florida and Utah. Get your information from the source.

Care to point out the "misinformation"?

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 07:45
Exactly. If your intention is to get a FL License & then carry in any other state but FL, you can't.
Most states that accept other states only allow licenses if your a resident of that state.
So basically your FL license will only be recognized in FL because your not a resident of FL.

What the heck? Do you not believe in actually looking up information prior to posting as if what you believe is fact?
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html/

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Iowa (6)
Kansas (1)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri
Montana (3)
Nebraska (1)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
Washington (1,6)
West Virginia (1)
Wyoming (1,3)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(2) The State of VERMONT does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.

(3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

Wow, you miss out on 4 of Florida's reciprocal states out of 35. That's veritably erasing the entire use of FL's permit, right? I mean you only have 31 states your out of state FL permit is good in now.

Wow.

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2012, 07:46

I'm not sure I'd say "most".. there's still quite a few states that accept Non-Res permits.

Look at it this way, he lives in Illinois. So if he gets a Utah Non-Resident permit, that will put him good in Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Of those, Wisconsin is the only one that doesn't also recognize a Florida Non-Res. So if Wisconsin is on your list of places to go, look at Utah.

Only states I'm aware of that have an on the books, residency requirement, is Michigan, Colorado, Florida, South Carolina, Maine, and New Hampshire.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 07:47

Outstanding. The money outlay for a UT non resident is even less than I posted. That makes it even more desirable in comparison.

Starting April 1, 2012 the application fees for the CFP will be dropping to $46.00 for in state applicants and $51.00 for out of state applicants.

fwm
07-23-2012, 08:44

I Live in MO and have a NH, FL, and UT permit as well as MO.
FL accepted my MO training, so I can't help you there.
UT requires you to take their course. They have their own accredited program through trained people through out the country.

I will probably NOT renew the FL next time, as UT gives me the same states at a much reduced cost.
As FL accepted my MO training, I will say, both the UT and MO training can be marginal through very informative, depending on your previous gun and gun safety knowledge, but they both do provide good information on they laws of the state being taught. FL, I don't think, require that much. They will (or did when I applied 10 years ago) accept NRA training or other comparable training.

ETA: As a good side note, living in IL, MO honors ALL CCW permits. MO honored ALL CCW permits even before it had it's own CCW laws. Just follow MO state law when you carry here.

TTex
07-23-2012, 11:32
What the heck? Do you not believe in actually looking up information prior to posting as if what you believe is fact?

Wow, you miss out on 4 of Florida's reciprocal states out of 35. That's veritably erasing the entire use of FL's permit, right? I mean you only have 31 states your out of state FL permit is good in now.

Wow.

I was just reading information regarding Louisiana law the other day. They changed it in 2010 or 2011 so as not to honor non-resident permits from other states. They refined the laws to work better just recently. I'm just saying other states may follow suit if they deem their laws not working as intended.
Now I cant quote the law word for word, and I dont claim to be an expert, I just want the OP to be on the look out for changes of that nature.
No offence intended Herr Glock.

HerrGlock
07-23-2012, 12:00
I was just reading information regarding Louisiana law the other day. They changed it in 2010 or 2011 so as not to honor non-resident permits from other states. They refined the laws to work better just recently. I'm just saying other states may follow suit if they deem their laws not working as intended.
Now I cant quote the law word for word, and I dont claim to be an expert, I just want the OP to be on the look out for changes of that nature.

The final say on any of that is the AG's website of the state in question. We're a bunch of anonymous posters on an internet board so never take our word as gospel for anything. Always, ALWAYS double check it, doubly so if I said it. That's one of the reasons posting a link to a .gov site or a legislative news site is a good idea when responding to this type of thread.

TTex
07-23-2012, 12:26
Here is a link to the information I read. Yes it is not a law book, but I think these people have enough interest to know what they were talking about.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3213

I figured most people dont bother to much with the links anyhow.

Just read that Thursday or Friday, and there was a lot mentioned about out of state permits. It just seems relavent to this conversation, but as HerrGlock says you always want to check your current local laws or that of the states your traveling to/getting a permit from.

IndyGunFreak
07-23-2012, 14:59

Gary Slider puts a TREMDENDOUS amount of work into handgunlaw.us If a law like that had passed, I feel extremely confident it would be reflected on his site.

That said, what you're referring to has nothing to do with Non-Residents of Louisiana using Non-Resident Permits. Louisiana passed a law (that took effect 8/15/11) that a Louisiana RESIDENT must have a Louisiana permit to carry in Louisiana. This was probably caused by Louisiana Residents carrying in their home states, on a Utah or Florida Non-Res.

Gpruitt54
07-23-2012, 20:20
I'm not sure I'd say "most".. there's still quite a few states that accept Non-Res permits.

Look at it this way, he lives in Illinois. So if he gets a Utah Non-Resident permit, that will put him good in Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Of those, Wisconsin is the only one that doesn't also recognize a Florida Non-Res. So if Wisconsin is on your list of places to go, look at Utah.

Only states I'm aware of that have an on the books, residency requirement, is Michigan, Colorado, Florida, South Carolina, Maine, and New Hampshire.

You have pretty much nailed my intent. Yes, I live in Illinois, only one mile from the Indiana border. I'm in Indiana almost daily. I also visit Wisconsin often as well. I want to be able to carry while in those states. So, if the Utah permit allows me to carry on the states mentioned, then that is the permit I want. I think I am hearing that Utah is the permit that may work for me.

I am however, surprised as to the level of disagreement on this topic. I have only become aware of this possibility only 2 days ago. So, I am in a large way, reliant on the accounts of those who know more on this subject than I do.

What I don't want to do is spend money on a course that is useless for the purpose of getting a permit. So, this is where I am putting my energies.

Gary Slider
07-23-2012, 21:17
LA did change their law. LA residents were allowed under law to carry on another states Permit/License. That is a LA Resident would get a FL non Resident and carry in LA with it. They changed their law so it now reads that LA residents must have a LA Permit/License to carry legally in LA. That is where the Non Resident issue came from. LA honors Non Resident Permit/Licenses from the states they honor if the person holding the Permit/License is not a LA resident.

HerrGlock
07-24-2012, 01:21
You have pretty much nailed my intent. Yes, I live in Illinois, only one mile from the Indiana border. I'm in Indiana almost daily. I also visit Wisconsin often as well. I want to be able to carry while in those states. So, if the Utah permit allows me to carry on the states mentioned, then that is the permit I want. I think I am hearing that Utah is the permit that may work for me.

I am however, surprised as to the level of disagreement on this topic. I have only become aware of this possibility only 2 days ago. So, I am in a large way, reliant on the accounts of those who know more on this subject than I do.

What I don't want to do is spend money on a course that is useless for the purpose of getting a permit. So, this is where I am putting my energies.

So go to the source to find out how to get a UT out of state:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedinstructors.html

From which you find this:
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/insoutstate071912.pdf

and if you look starting on page 6 there's a great big long list of authorized instructors in IL that you can get your permit from.

TTex
07-24-2012, 07:06
Gary Slider puts a TREMDENDOUS amount of work into handgunlaw.us If a law like that had passed, I feel extremely confident it would be reflected on his site.

That said, what you're referring to has nothing to do with Non-Residents of Louisiana using Non-Resident Permits. Louisiana passed a law (that took effect 8/15/11) that a Louisiana RESIDENT must have a Louisiana permit to carry in Louisiana. This was probably caused by Louisiana Residents carrying in their home states, on a Utah or Florida Non-Res.

After re-reading the article you are correct.
I only wanted the OP to know that there are changes, and judging from the statements in the article I wouldnt be surprised to see some changes coming down the pipe as far as non-resident permits go.

"Florida does not recognize non-resident permits issued by other states. In other words, if you want to carry in Florida, you better have a permit issued by your home state, or a non-resident permit issued by Florida in your name.
The legislature also realized that once the Department of Licensing in Florida issued their non-resident permit, that department had no way of keeping track of the permit holders. Such a person could go out the same day and commit a felony crime, and continue carrying their Florida permit for seven years until they came up for renewal, and a background check was conducted.
Thus, in the 2010 legislative session, the Louisiana legislature ended the recognition of non-resident concealed-carry permits by Louisiana residents. Anyone from any other state would be allowed to carry with their non-resident permit, but Louisiana residents would be required to get a Louisiana concealed-handgun permit."

This seemed to indicate to me that the non-resident permit laws might get tweaked by various states.
I apologize if I misinformed the OP, but I think it does illustrate how complex some of these issues can be.

Misty02
07-24-2012, 08:27
I have an FOID (Firearms Owner ID) card for the state of Illinois. I am not interested in getting an FFL (but, if this required, them OK). I am however, interested in a CCW permit. I understand that this does not allow carrying in Illinois. But some states do recognize CCW permits of other states. I am interested in understanding how Florida can provide non-residents CCW permits. If this is possible, I would love to hold a CCW.

If you are planning on traveling to Florida then apply for the Florida License. If you just want a license, then it doesn’t matter.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html)

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.

IndyGunFreak
07-24-2012, 08:56
If you are planning on traveling to Florida then apply for the Florida License. If you just want a license, then it doesn’t matter.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html)

Yeah, but then he'd still have to get another permit because Wisconsin is on his list of places he'd like to carry, and they don't recognize Florida (he didn't mention carrying in Florida).

Sounds like Utah is probably the OP's best option. Less expensive, and lets him carry in the two main states he wants to carry in (WI and IN)

TTex
07-24-2012, 16:25
Here's a thought, why not petition your state representatives to allow CCW? I mean every other state in the union allows it, why not try to get the laws changed in your home state? Arent they supposed to be representing you? Might be worthwhile to write your state legislators. Maybe with enough pressure they will join the rest of America. :wavey:

Gpruitt54
07-24-2012, 20:51
Here's a thought, why not petition your state representatives to allow CCW? I mean every other state in the union allows it, why not try to get the laws changed in your home state? Arent they supposed to be representing you? Might be worthwhile to write your state legislators. Maybe with enough pressure they will join the rest of America. :wavey:
Well... yeah. But that could take years. Maybe I can get a non-resident permit within weeks. This is America. You know; we want things quickly.

Your point is well taken!

Tikiwolf
07-24-2012, 21:08
Call almost any gun shop, most of them give both Florida and Utah classes. I took both classes together.

Misty02
07-25-2012, 03:49
Yeah, but then he'd still have to get another permit because Wisconsin is on his list of places he'd like to carry, and they don't recognize Florida (he didn't mention carrying in Florida).

Sounds like Utah is probably the OP's best option. Less expensive, and lets him carry in the two main states he wants to carry in (WI and IN)

You are correct; I had not read that part. My apologies. :embarassed:

HerrGlock
07-25-2012, 04:00

What you are proposing is not mutually exclusive to what the OP wants to do.

ca survivor
07-25-2012, 15:07

Wow.
I'm sure you can add South Carolina to the list.

Gpruitt54
07-25-2012, 17:40
Call almost any gun shop, most of them give both Florida and Utah classes. I took both classes together.

Yes, I called Mega Sports, my local range. They directed meto a course for the Utah and Florida non-resident CCW permit. I am goingfor Utah. Thenext course is being held on August 25th 2012, in Bradley Illinois, at a costof (don't laugh) $125.00 for an 8 hour course... Does that sound reasonable? Iam considering registering and taking this course. I have nothing to compare itwith, so I don’t know if $125.00 is a good price or not.

Opinions please!

HerrGlock
07-25-2012, 18:05
Opinions please!

Yeah, pull down the list of UT trainers that UT state publishes and call all of them within about 100 miles from your house and ask them how much the class is, if they do your prints and who mails the application.

Ocean_glocker
07-25-2012, 18:59
Recently, I learned that it is possible to receive a Florida non-resident CCW permit. Questions:
Is this true?
Is It it legal?
Have any of you done this?

Where am I seeing this? See the link below:
http://dmztactical.com/florida-non-resident-conceal-carry-firearm-permit-training-course/

Currently I live in Illinois, as I understand it, the only state that does not allow CCW permits. I know that getting a non-resident CCW does not allow me to carry in my state, but I am interested.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Have any of you actually cone this?

sorry if its been said... but I have one... I live in GA and I got my FL permit, I travel to a few states where the FL permit is valid and the GA is not.

The process was not hard at all. fill out the paperwork. have a NRA certificate or other CCW course certificate. Went to pensacola, got finger printed and 3 weeks later got a license in the mail.

F14Scott
07-25-2012, 20:21

I lived in Illinois until, literally, six days ago. (I just moved to Texas.) While in Illinois, about four years ago, I qualified for and received a FL non-resident CWL, for exactly the reasons you listed. All it took was a paperwork drill.

I took an NRA basic pistol course, but, in hindsight, I could have used my DD-214 (military honorable discharge papers). Got fingerprinted at the County Sheriff's office. Photos from CVS. The fee. I think that was it.

If I were you, I'd go to a local gun shop and ask who teaches the NRA course. The instructors from mine handed us a whole Florida packet with explicit instructions, knowing that many of us were there expressly for getting the FL CWL.

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2012, 12:55
Yes, I called Mega Sports, my local range. They directed meto a course for the Utah and Florida non-resident CCW permit. I am goingfor Utah. Thenext course is being held on August 25th 2012, in Bradley Illinois, at a costof (don't laugh) $125.00 for an 8 hour course... Does that sound reasonable? Iam considering registering and taking this course. I have nothing to compare itwith, so I don’t know if $125.00 is a good price or not.

Opinions please!

Hmm, I seem to remember seeing the class offered here for $85 last year.

I don't think I'd be getting to upset about $125 (that's just me though). I would call and ask them what the $125 covers. As mentioned, some of the trainers, they'll have everything there to process and mail your app (take your prints, photos, etc..) Others may just teach the class and leave you to take care of the rest.

By the way, your other option of course, move that 1mi into Indiana, and you can get a Lifetime permit for $125, :)

Best of luck, let us know how this progresses.

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2012, 12:56
If I were you, I'd go to a local gun shop and ask who teaches the NRA course. The instructors from mine handed us a whole Florida packet with explicit instructions, knowing that many of us were there expressly for getting the FL CWL.

Re-read his posts, he wants to carry in Wisconsin, which makes Florida useless, thus why he was pointed to Utah.

Gpruitt54
07-26-2012, 18:54
Hmm, I seem to remember seeing the class offered here for $85 last year.

I don't think I'd be getting to upset about $125 (that's just me though). I would call and ask them what the $125 covers. As mentioned, some of the trainers, they'll have everything there to process and mail your app (take your prints, photos, etc..) Others may just teach the class and leave you to take care of the rest.

By the way, your other option of course, move that 1mi into Indiana, and you can get a Lifetime permit for $125, :)

Best of luck, let us know how this progresses.

I love my home to much to move. Oh yeah, make pint to my wife. She ain't hearing it, or hearing it! So, I have to fine another way. I think this may be it.

Here is what is being offered at the 8 hour course:
UTAH / FLORIDA CONCEALED CARRY - Attendees will be given an endorsed application for Utah Concealed Carry permit plus a certificate of completion that meets the Florida CCW permit requirements. Course meets educational requirements for both states non-resident concealed carry permits, recognized in approximately 30 states.
AN IN-DEPTH SEMINAR ON FIREARMS FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION - Everything you've ever wanted to know about the use of personal protection with firearms in the home and concealed carry.
THE HOME PROTECTION & CONCEALED CARRY seminar also covers in-depth information on ILLINOIS LAW including:

TRANSPORTING A FIREARM
AVOIDING A LETHAL CONFRONTATION
DEALING WITH SOCIOPATHIC BEHAVIOR
APPROPRIATE FIREARM, AMMUNITION & HOLSTER SELECTION
EFFECTS OF STRESS ON THE ABILITY TO REACT TO A LETHAL CONFRONTATION
SETTING UP A SAFE ROOM IN YOUR HOME AT NO COST
DEALING WITH THE AFTERMATH OF LETHAL FORCE

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2012, 21:07
I love my home to much to move. Oh yeah, make pint to my wife. She ain't hearing it, or hearing it! So, I have to fine another way. I think this may be it.

Here is what is being offered at the 8 hour course:
UTAH / FLORIDA CONCEALED CARRY - Attendees will be given an endorsed application for Utah Concealed Carry permit plus a certificate of completion that meets the Florida CCW permit requirements. Course meets educational requirements for both states non-resident concealed carry permits, recognized in approximately 30 states.
AN IN-DEPTH SEMINAR ON FIREARMS FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION - Everything you've ever wanted to know about the use of personal protection with firearms in the home and concealed carry.
THE HOME PROTECTION & CONCEALED CARRY seminar also covers in-depth information on ILLINOIS LAW including:

TRANSPORTING A FIREARM
AVOIDING A LETHAL CONFRONTATION
DEALING WITH SOCIOPATHIC BEHAVIOR
APPROPRIATE FIREARM, AMMUNITION & HOLSTER SELECTION
EFFECTS OF STRESS ON THE ABILITY TO REACT TO A LETHAL CONFRONTATION
SETTING UP A SAFE ROOM IN YOUR HOME AT NO COST
DEALING WITH THE AFTERMATH OF LETHAL FORCE

Hmm. Well, looking at Utah's page on handgunlaw.us (I don't have a Utah permit, just looking at what it says)

What Must Accompany the Application?

A Photocopy of your Driver License

Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau of Criminal Identification.

Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.

Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency.

There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville,
UT. The cost is $15.00 for 1 photo and $15.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.

Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application.

So from the sounds of it, you'll need to get a passport photo and fingerprinted. Look at it this way, the class isn't until the 25th, so you have until then to make sure you have everything in order, that way after the class, you can mail off your application.

Gpruitt54
07-29-2012, 16:33
I've been looking online for courses and instructors for the Utah CCW permit. The state of Utah list many certified instructers in every state. I located and registered for a course provided by www.anywhereccw.com. They are holding a course just blocks from my job on Friday Aug. 31, 2012. The course is only 4 hours and only $100.00 plus the $51.00 Utah permit fee. During the course, the forms, photos, prints, etc are all being taken care of.

Here is the registeration response:
==============================

Thanks for registering in the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class on August 31, 2012 at:

Tinley Park Convention Center (Holiday Inn)
18451 Convention Center Drive
Tinley Park, IL

Class starts at 6:00PM. All you need to bring is a copy of your drivers license. Everything else is supplied by us for you. As a general reminder, as this has happened, this permit does not allow you to carry in Illinois.

Some information about the class:

• Total class cost: Utah Only: $100 per person, payable by cash or personal check the day of the class
• Utah Permit Cost: $51 payable to -Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification- by check, money order, or Visa/Mastercard payable on day of class.
• First portion is the class.
• Lecture is approximately 4 hours long, with a break each hour. We will take your fingerprints and passport sized photo.
• Completion of the class allows you to apply for the permit from Utah, but does not guarantee issuance (See disqualifiers here: www.anywhereccw.com/utdisqualify.html).• Once the class is completed, we will mail everything required to Utah for you; It will take approximately 60 days to receive your permit in the mail.

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2012, 10:03
I've been looking online for courses and instructors for the Utah CCW permit. The state of Utah list many certified instructers in every state. I located and registered for a course provided by www.anywhereccw.com. They are holding a course just blocks from my job on Friday Aug. 31, 2012. The course is only 4 hours and only $100.00 plus the $51.00 Utah permit fee. During the course, the forms, photos, prints, etc are all being taken care of.

Here is the registeration response:
==============================

Thanks for registering in the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class on August 31, 2012 at:

Tinley Park Convention Center (Holiday Inn)
18451 Convention Center Drive
Tinley Park, IL

Class starts at 6:00PM. All you need to bring is a copy of your drivers license. Everything else is supplied by us for you. As a general reminder, as this has happened, this permit does not allow you to carry in Illinois.

Some information about the class:

• Total class cost: Utah Only: $100 per person, payable by cash or personal check the day of the class
• Utah Permit Cost: $51 payable to -Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification- by check, money order, or Visa/Mastercard payable on day of class.
• First portion is the class.
• Lecture is approximately 4 hours long, with a break each hour. We will take your fingerprints and passport sized photo.
• Completion of the class allows you to apply for the permit from Utah, but does not guarantee issuance (See disqualifiers here: www.anywhereccw.com/utdisqualify.html).• Once the class is completed, we will mail everything required to Utah for you; It will take approximately 60 days to receive your permit in the mail.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for $100. I'd prefer the "one stop shop" where I could get the training, prints, photos, etc... all in one place.

glkdawg45
07-30-2012, 17:40
I have had both resident and non-resident CCL with Fla, all you need is something showing you've had some kind of firearms training, a hunter safety course, NRA safety class, etc...
But my favorite is if you are a military veteran (honorable discharge) just send them a copy of your DD 214 discharge papers.

"If you can't trust a Marine, who can you trust"

SEMPER FI

Also, you can get non-resident licenses from Maine and New Hampshire. Both are very easy to get.

IndyGunFreak
07-31-2012, 02:52
I have had both resident and non-resident CCL with Fla, all you need is something showing you've had some kind of firearms training, a hunter safety course, NRA safety class, etc...
But my favorite is if you are a military veteran (honorable discharge) just send them a copy of your DD 214 discharge papers.

"If you can't trust a Marine, who can you trust"

SEMPER FI

Also, you can get non-resident licenses from Maine and New Hampshire. Both are very easy to get.

Some of you should take some time and read the whole thread. Those 3 permits are all useless to him for what he wants. He's on the right track with Utah.

COLDSTEEL165
08-01-2012, 02:20
I am in NYS which I know is not even on the list, figured that. but i think that their non Resident fees are out of wack & to high of a price. I have a PA. & a Conn. non resident fee & they are less than $70.00 bucks.

Gpruitt54
09-01-2012, 09:40
Last night (Aug 31, 2012) took the Utah CCW course. Waiting for the permitto arrive in about 60 days or so. Will carry while in Indiana and Wisconsin.Very excited!

Gpruitt54
10-29-2012, 17:57
It has been a while, but I finally received my Utah CCW permit this weekend (Nov. 27, 2012). Carried for the first time on Nov. 26th. in Indiana.

How was the experience? Well, I have mixed feelings. First, I was thrilled with having the ability to carry, if I choose to. I cannot say enough about having that right. However, I live in the only state that does not have a provision for CCW (Illinois). That poses some issues related to lawful transport of the weapon between Illinois (non-carry state of residence) and Indiana (Carry state with Utah CCW).

For the last couple of months, since I completed for CCW course, I've been wearing my weapon around my home and property (every day, the time I get home, until I go to bed). I did that on the advice from someone I know. What that exercise did was to help me learn how to carry, how to take a dump while wearing the weapon, What belt works for carrying, how to do everyday tasks while carrying, what position works best for me (4 o'clock is my preference), how to set while wearing the weapon, etc. So, by the time I did my first CCW carry, I was totally comfortable with the weapon and holster, not at all concerned that I might print or do something that might cause the weapon to fall out of the holster. Practice wearing the weapon for the last 2 months was a great exercise and really helped me work out the mechanics of wearing a weapon.

So, how did I feel while carrying? At first, I felt self conscious; like everyone knew I was wearing a weapon. I made several stops while out and about that day. After the third stop that feeling largely went away. My overall feeling was one of feeling only a little more secure than I normally do. I thought I would feel a lot more secure, but no, that was not my feeling at all. Did not feel cocky, did not feel invincible. However, I did have a greater since of awareness. I was not prepared for that. I also felt very humbled by the responsibility of legally carrying a concealed lethal weapon in public.

Well, that is my report on my first time carrying CCW.

IndyGunFreak
10-30-2012, 05:25
It has been a while, but I finally received my Utah CCW permit this weekend (Nov. 27, 2012). Carried for the first time on Nov. 26th. in Indiana.

How was the experience? Well, I have mixed feelings. First, I was thrilled with having the ability to carry, if I choose to. I cannot say enough about having that right. However, I live in the only state that does not have a provision for CCW (Illinois). That poses some issues related to lawful transport of the weapon between Illinois (non-carry state of residence) and Indiana (Carry state with Utah CCW).

For the last couple of months, since I completed for CCW course, I've been wearing my weapon around my home and property (every day, the time I get home, until I go to bed). I did that on the advice from someone I know. What that exercise did was to help me learn how to carry, how to take a dump while wearing the weapon, What belt works for carrying, how to do everyday tasks while carrying, what position works best for me (4 o'clock is my preference), how to set while wearing the weapon, etc. So, by the time I did my first CCW carry, I was totally comfortable with the weapon and holster, not at all concerned that I might print or do something that might cause the weapon to fall out of the holster. Practice wearing the weapon for the last 2 months was a great exercise and really helped me work out the mechanics of wearing a weapon.

So, how did I feel while carrying? At first, I felt self conscious; like everyone knew I was wearing a weapon. I made several stops while out and about that day. After the third stop that feeling largely went away. My overall feeling was one of feeling only a little more secure than I normally do. I thought I would feel a lot more secure, but no, that was not my feeling at all. Did not feel cocky, did not feel invincible. However, I did have a greater since of awareness. I was not prepared for that. I also felt very humbled by the responsibility of legally carrying a concealed lethal weapon in public.

Well, that is my report on my first time carrying CCW.

I was wondering about this yesterday, and almost brought the thread back to the top.

The whole "you have to carry because you're insecure, or so you can act like a bad ass and be invincible, etc.." obviously is a total myth. It's all about being responsible for your own safety, and if for some reason it is compromised, having the ability to deal with it.

Bottom line, if you're a criminal before you start carrying a gun, you'll be an criminal after you start carrying a gun. If you use common sense and are generally a law abiding citizen before carrying a gun, you'll use common sense and generally be a law abiding citizen after carrying a gun. Obviously there's exceptions, but I'd say it's that way for 90% of us.

If you were walking around barrel chested because you were now carrying a gun, I'd immediately suggest you stop carrying for a while, because you're not mature enough to carry. It becomes far more natural as time goes on.

Congrats on the permit.

Unk
10-30-2012, 06:24
glkdog45 nailed it. Honorably discharged U.S. Military, attach a copy of your DD214 to your FL CWL app with pix, fees and prints...meets our training requirement

WE LOVE veterans in FL..well the rest of you guys/gals too.

Best.

SCmasterblaster
10-30-2012, 07:57
glkdog45 nailed it. Honorably discharged U.S. Military, attach a copy of your DD214 to your FL CWL app with pix, fees and prints...meets our training requirement

WE LOVE veterans in FL..well the rest of you guys/gals too.

Best.

I am a VT veteran, and I will remember this. :cool: