So what are the chances ARs get banned here soon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So what are the chances ARs get banned here soon?

GoBuffs!
07-23-2012, 00:19
Live pretty close to the shooting here in Colorado, and am hearing lots of lefties calling for bans as they are shocked you can go into a store and buy an assault rifle in under an hour. Most of them seem to think they are all full auto too but that is a different topic...

Was getting my fun money stash pretty close to trading in for one, but now I am kind of wondering if they will be illegal by the time my stash is big enough to buy one.

Any thoughts?

bmoore
07-23-2012, 00:43
Buy one, they are fun sporting rifles.

TangoFoxtrot
07-23-2012, 03:29
Well if your worried about that happening you best speed up your cash flow and get one pronto!

WASRfan
07-23-2012, 05:33
Doubt it. They weren't banned before - although at least one major AR builder stopped selling into he civvie market out of PC fears.
Anyway; many of the AR mfgs and/or assemblers are ironically located in strong Democrat states, a few of which are anti-2A and still have their own "AWBs".

There are a lot of USA AR15 mfg jobs on the line should someone play games with the 2A at the national level - and the backlash would be bad for the Dems.

Now to a rant;

Why are these ban-state gun companies - who clearly PROFIT from our 2A freedoms - not beating on their states to stop the madness???
I'm thinking Kimber and Remmy immediately coming to mind as getting on the phone with NY political leaders and telling them A) shut Bloomberg up, and B) end the NY AWB or we move to a 2A-friendly state - taking our jobs and taxes with us.

Politicians understand what jobs and taxes mean to their continued employment in their exalted positions.

Hedo1
07-23-2012, 06:01
Possible but unlikely. The Gov. of Colorado seems to be reasonable and saying the right things.

K. Foster
07-23-2012, 07:05
Will there be a ban? To early to tell. Possible but not likely. There will probably be some panic buying this fall due to the upcoming election, no one can be certain what will happen afterward. Right now, pricing and availability is good. I say try hard to buy one in the next 2 or 3 months if you’re concerned about it.

Glockdude1
07-23-2012, 15:49
Zero.

:cool:

GoBuffs!
07-23-2012, 16:25
Possible but unlikely. The Gov. of Colorado seems to be reasonable and saying the right things.

Noticed that too. Doesnt seem to be getting much press though.

Am really looking forward to the east coast media kicking rocks here in the next day or two. The story of the guy that was sent into the Gander Mtn to buy an AR was something else. They acted shocked that the guy could buy the thing.

samurairabbi
07-23-2012, 16:46
Most of them seem to think they are all full auto too but that is a different topic...

That mis-classification is actually LARGER than the original topic you ask about. The impression that civilian military-style are full-auto-capable has been the foremost motive for attempts to ban or restrict them. That full-auto "impression" among the public is the elephant in the firearms room; impossible to ignore, even if it is demonstrated that it does not even exist!

GoBuffs!
07-23-2012, 22:51
Yeah, I think that is the thing that most of the anti-gun crowd doesn't know about either. The scary black guns such as the AKs and ARs typically use a far smaller round than what a typical hunting rifle would use. My hunting rifle is a 30-06 and it will fire at about the same rate as any of those "scary" rifles would, yet the lefties claim to have no problem with that type of rifle because it has some wood on it.

I am sure as soon as they were able to put ARs and AKs on the banned side of the line, they would just keep trying to move that line farther and farther until the 2A is gone.

theHIGHLANDER
07-24-2012, 02:40
If we're lucky logic prevails. What if the shooter drove a Dodge diesel dually through the theater? Would they ban 1 ton trucks?

NEOH212
07-24-2012, 02:48
Not until his second term is final. :supergrin:

Bren
07-24-2012, 05:05
Slightly off topic - have any of you been shooting since before the AWB? If so, did you ever realize that our modern AR-15 industry, all the brands, components, etc., exists because of the Assault Weapons Ban of the 90's?

I've read that the number of bars and popularity of drinking increased by hundreds of times, after prohibition started, and the liquor industry was permanently changed even after it ended. A very similar thing happened with "assault weapons" in the 90's-00's. I wonder if the liberals are even aware of it?

Sinister Paige
07-24-2012, 12:59
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b1/C3PO.jpg/200px-C3PO.jpg

1/4, better odds than surviving an asteroid field. If they're going to get one, now would be their best chance. Lets hope they fail.

eracer
07-24-2012, 13:01
Slightly off topic - have any of you been shooting since before the AWB? If so, did you ever realize that our modern AR-15 industry, all the brands, components, etc., exists because of the Assault Weapons Ban of the 90's?

I've read that the number of bars and popularity of drinking increased by hundreds of times, after prohibition started, and the liquor industry was permanently changed even after it ended. A very similar thing happened with "assault weapons" in the 90's-00's. I wonder if the liberals are even aware of it?This is a great point. And even if the libs are aware of it, they ignore the truth of it.