Anyone use Thermold mags? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Thermold mags?

Sniperfox
07-23-2012, 09:20
I see them on sale alot of places these days. Are they good reliable mags? Years ago, when the original company in NC was making them, they were good mags but I haven't tried them recently.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 09:30
Years ago; as in the early 1990s, they were known as "Thermelts". I don't know if quality had improved since then. For M16 mags, I have plenty of the MagPuls. For FN and HK91, I have plenty of factory steel & aluminum, so I'm not ready to try out the Thermelts again.

07-23-2012, 11:24
I used a few of them for range fun. The plastic feed lips tend to wear out easily with little use. I would not use them for "serious" work, not that I have ever been in any "serious" situations.:supergrin:
With other better brand mags plentiful and cheap these days, get those, I would.

Decguns
07-23-2012, 11:48
Thermold mags are still made in NC. Their mags work fine. Like all plastic mags, they're really not GI proof. I haven't met a plastic mag yet that has passed a mil-spec drop test. Fully loaded, you drop the mag from about 12 feet onto 2 inches of wood (like a 2X6). Even the beloved PMAGs will spill ammo, split and/or fail to feed after the drop test. Sorry Magpul, your 5 foot drop test is a bit short of a mil-spec drop test. The Lancer mags were the only ones that came close to passing the mil-spec drop test. About the only thing mil-spec in plastic mags is the spring.

For most folks, the plastic mags are fine. If you want mil-spec, you can always pick up some D&H, Brownells, Colt (NHMTG Hartford) aluminum mags.

Tony Rumore
07-23-2012, 16:24
I have heard the "thermelt" stories and other internet lore, but I'll tell you, I have the same five Thermold mags that I bought back in 1996 and have run over 65,000 rounds through those same five mags in an M16 and they are still running strong.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

samurairabbi
07-23-2012, 16:35
The "Thermelts" were the CANADIAN Thermolds; the Canadians thought they could use a cheaper polymer, and that decision burned them badly. Any Thermold with the mapleleaf logo molded on it is one of "those".

The American-produced Thermolds do not share the Canadian defects. I think American Thermolds and Israeli Orlites are the best of the pre-ban AR plastic mags.

faawrenchbndr
07-23-2012, 16:50
Wasted money on those years ago........many better options these days!

Tony Rumore
07-23-2012, 17:07
The ones that I ran 65K through, don't have the maple leaf on them. With absolute, 100% perfect reliability for that many rounds, that many years.....I don't agree that there are better options today.

Tony

faawrenchbndr
07-23-2012, 17:09
Ok,......so you have an opinion. Want a cookie? :dunno:
27 years of shooting the M16 & AR15, I know what works & what is a waste of money.

samurairabbi
07-23-2012, 17:15
If they're Famous Amo's Pecan Chocolate Chip, I'll take the whole box!

faawrenchbndr
07-23-2012, 17:26
If they're Famous Amo's Pecan Chocolate Chip, I'll take the whole box!

Next time I get to Indy, they are your's! :rofl:

Tony Rumore
07-23-2012, 17:31
27 years of shooting the M16 & AR15, I know what works & what is a waste of money.

That makes two of us.

07-23-2012, 17:39
I have a few '90s vintage AR and M14 mags. In my experience, I had a few problems with FTF on three of the 10 AR mags but all of the M14 mags have been flawless.

What do my results mean? Probably nothing.

The_Gun_Guru
07-23-2012, 18:19
I have two of the 48-round AK mags but have not tried them yet.

TGG

mac66
07-23-2012, 18:20
Bought some 10 round Thermolds from CDNN a couple weeks ago on sale for target work.

Hows about Orlites? Picked up up some surplus Israeli Orlite mags recently from a friend real cheap. Haven't shot them yet. Am I gonna be :supergrin: or gonna be :crying:?

DJ Niner
07-24-2012, 00:52
Bought some 10 round Thermolds from CDNN a couple weeks ago on sale for target work.

(snip)I bought one of those last year, and used it in multiple weapons with multiple ammo types for the last 8 months or so, with no problems whatsoever. I love the fact that it fits nearly flush with the bottom edge of the mag well; at a distance, it looks like the weapon has no mag in it at all.

Great for bench/sandbag shooting, walking-up varmints for fast short-range moving target practice, or general walkabout use. I just bought another handful in my last order, some for myself, some for gifts.

Note: deburr the dang things before loading or other use! You could use the overmold flash on the feed lips for shaving or last-ditch self-defense; those edges are DANG sharp.

DEADEYEGUY
07-24-2012, 08:58
The Canadians used them and the Israeli's. They worked fine on semi-auto. Full-auto they would melt. I have a few and they have worked fine for range sessions. Better options out there now. But for most civilian uses they would probably be fine. Never had a jam from one.

Glockdude1
07-24-2012, 09:17
I have heard the "thermelt" stories and other internet lore, but I'll tell you, I have the same five Thermold mags that I bought back in 1996 and have run over 65,000 rounds through those same five mags in an M16 and they are still running strong.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

:agree:

I have several of these same mags. All still work great.

:cool:

mac66
07-24-2012, 14:15
Here's my other question....Why are the 20 round Thermold AR mags at CDNN $3.99 and the 10 rounders $6.99? :whistling: seems like it should be the other way around.

Anyway, I like the 10s because they sit flush. I bought them to use them at Appleseed for loaners (I'm an instructor) since 30 round mags interfere with proper prone position.

IGotIt
07-24-2012, 16:36
My BIL uses some. They wont work with his 300Blk but will work in his .223.

samurairabbi
07-24-2012, 16:49
Here's my other question....Why are the 20 round Thermold AR mags at CDNN $3.99 and the 10 rounders $6.99? :whistling: seems like it should be the other way around.
There are a good number of 20-rounders floating around gun shows; I see very few 10-rounders. The tens seem to be a small niche market, which therefore draws a price premium.