Checking powder load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Checking powder load

ChrisJn
07-23-2012, 10:40
Had my second squib load in two weeks. Never had one before in goodness knows how many years of reloading.
.38 Special in a newly acquired S&W model 67 stuck halfway in the barrel, thank goodness, locking up the cylinder.
The first one was .40SW in a Glock and on that occasion I realized what happened before pulling the trigger again.
Old age or something, guess I must go back to basics and check every round. Be warned you old folks!

Boxerglocker
07-23-2012, 11:02
I got a RBCS lock out die that's for sale :whistle:

DoctaGlockta
07-23-2012, 11:19
Squib Happens.

Glad you caught them.

Colorado4Wheel
07-23-2012, 12:14
What press and powder measure are you using? What powder are you using?

fredj338
07-23-2012, 13:20

Very important. The smaller the charge the harder to verify it is actually there. One reason I hate TG in anything but particularly large volume revolver cases. I would rather spend 1c more for powder I can easily verify. Something like TrailBoss fills the case well & is fine for light to med lead bullet plinkers.

ChrisJn
07-23-2012, 15:58

Lee Classic turret with AA#2 in the .38SP and AA#5 in the .40SW using RCBS powder measure. I now use LNL to load .40SW.

http://londonphotography.biz/lct.jpg

WeeWilly
07-23-2012, 17:54
All the squibs I have ever gotten (and not caught before leaving the load bench) were loaded on my Rock Chucker, during load development.

Every single revolver squib the bullet stopped in the gap (jamming the action, good), the single semi squib I have had failed to cycle the action (also good), I was smart enough to wonder why an empty case popped out after racking the slide and stopped, field stripped and found the bullet (XTP in my Glock barrel, a genuine pain to get out).

I have never had a squib with a case activated powder drop (Lee AD Pro or Dillon), I have never had a squib on a rifle load (knock on wood).

michael e
07-23-2012, 19:51
I have a light mounted over my last stage, I glance down at every round just to avoid this. I did not have this set up until I had my first squib. When loading MAG rounds I do on a single stage I do 5 at a time, might take longer but I don't load these by the thousands so not an issue.

Colorado4Wheel
07-23-2012, 20:40
Lee Classic turret with AA#2 in the .38SP and AA#5 in the .40SW using RCBS powder measure. I now use LNL to load .40SW.

http://londonphotography.biz/lct.jpg

Get rid of that powder measure. You should use the auto indexing and a case activated powder measure. The Lee works well if you give it a chance.

ChrisJn
07-24-2012, 05:42
Get rid of that powder measure. You should use the auto indexing and a case activated powder measure. The Lee works well if you give it a chance.

Appreciate your thoughts, Steve. I am not complaining about the LCT at all. In fact I like it very much and it has served its purpose well over the years. I concede that perhaps it is time to upgrade the powder measure like you suggest.

WeeWilly
07-24-2012, 09:28
Appreciate your thoughts, Steve. I am not complaining about the LCT at all. In fact I like it very much and it has served its purpose well over the years. I concede that perhaps it is time to upgrade the powder measure like you suggest.

For about $50 you can install a Lee Auto Disk Pro setup. When I was using the AD Pro, I had total confidence in its reliability. If you go that way, get the riser extension to help space the hopper up out of the way.

https://fsreloading.com/category/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/

Colorado4Wheel
07-24-2012, 12:33

Manually activating a powder measure is the issue in my book. It's the process that is the problem. It's stacked in the wrong direction to cause you issues rather then in the other direction to cause reliability.