The Westboro Church plans to picket the Aurora shooting memorial service. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Westboro Church plans to picket the Aurora shooting memorial service.

cysoto
07-23-2012, 12:24
There's no end to the insensibility of these idiots... :upeyes:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-westboro-church-plans-to-picket-the-aurora-shooting-memorial-service

Cavalry Doc
07-23-2012, 13:20
Time for the patriot guard riders to mount up.

These boneheads are despicable.

cysoto
07-23-2012, 13:57
These boneheads are despicable.
Agreed!

I am all for freedom of expression but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the reasoning behind this small (yet very vocal) group of people.

countrygun
07-23-2012, 14:10
Those twits have THREATENED to protest at a lot of places. They get publicity without actually showing up.

Move along, nothing to see here.

cysoto
07-23-2012, 14:26
They get publicity without actually showing up.
Why would any organization want to receive negative publicity? :dunno:

Vic Hays
07-23-2012, 14:32
Agreed!

I am all for freedom of expression but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the reasoning behind this small (yet very vocal) group of people.

Some peopel think they are blessed when they are persecuted and vile things said about them.

The thing is this is partly taught by the Bible. The thing is that this is an incomplete understanding. Calling them jerks is not a false statement in this respect.

Matthew 5:11 Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Cavalry Doc
07-23-2012, 19:01
Why would any organization want to receive negative publicity? :dunno:

Even bad press is still press. It's a pride thing.

janice6
07-23-2012, 19:15
Called "Tempting Fate". Someday.

Woofie
07-24-2012, 12:06
Why do we never hear about Joel Osteen, or Billy Graham, or the Pope speaking out against the Westboros? If I were to employ the reasoning skills of a small minority of other posters around here, I would conclude that all Christians support the actions and positions of the Westboro baptist Church.

Cavalry Doc
07-24-2012, 14:44
Why do we never hear about Joel Osteen, or Billy Graham, or the Pope speaking out against the Westboros? If I were to employ the reasoning skills of a small minority of other posters around here, I would conclude that all Christians support the actions and positions of the Westboro baptist Church.

Don't know if Billy Graham ever said anything about them publicly, but they have protested his gatherings.

Don't discount the Patriot Guard Riders. They are a nice bunch of folks. If Islam had a group that was as actively interfering with the jihadists, it would be a welcome sight.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/westboro.JPG

eracer
07-24-2012, 14:54
Why do we never hear about Joel Osteen, or Billy Graham, or the Pope speaking out against the Westboros? If I were to employ the reasoning skills of a small minority of other posters around here, I would conclude that all Christians support the actions and positions of the Westboro baptist Church.The same reason we don't hear the Imams speaking out against violent, fanatical Islamic terrorists.

Woofie
07-24-2012, 15:08
Don't know if Billy Graham ever said anything about them publicly, but they have protested his gatherings.

Don't discount the Patriot Guard Riders. They are a nice bunch of folks. If Islam had a group that was as actively interfering with the jihadists, it would be a welcome sight.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/westboro.JPG

As far as I know, the Patriot Guard is not a religious outfit. And there is still no word on Benny Hinn speaking out against WBC. I'm starting to think that Christians support them and that the Patriot Guard is a very unChristian organization.

Cavalry Doc
07-24-2012, 16:17
As far as I know, the Patriot Guard is not a religious outfit. And there is still no word on Benny Hinn speaking out against WBC. I'm starting to think that Christians support them and that the Patriot Guard is a very unChristian organization.

Well, are there any polls out there that support that theory?

Woofie
07-24-2012, 16:45
Well, are there any polls out there that support that theory?

I don't know. If I wanted I could design a poll that would support whatever position I wanted it to.

But you're getting too complicated. The reasoning skills I'm borrowing right now have no need for supporting evidence.:supergrin:

Batesmotel
07-24-2012, 16:51
I cannot, for the life of me, understand the reasoning behind this small (yet very vocal) group of people.

They are run by a family of lawyers. They protest and sue or settle in exchange for not protesting something. Basically extortion. someone posted a flow chart of their finances.

Just follow the money. They are not doing it out of moral reasons. It is for the cash.

Kingarthurhk
07-24-2012, 17:46
Even bad press is still press. It's a pride thing.

The ironic thing is they're like a gay parade-just desperate for attention.

Cavalry Doc
07-24-2012, 18:28
The ironic thing is they're like a gay parade-just desperate for attention.

Not "like".

These guys are asking, if not begging for an American warrior to retaliate.

The westboro baptists are reprehensible in every sense of the word. Some gays can be a little irritating, but these guys are on a mission to be as offensive as possible to get their message across.

Consider this is from a guy that voted no on the last bill to allow gay marriage in my state.

Cavalry Doc
07-24-2012, 18:29
I don't know. If I wanted I could design a poll that would support whatever position I wanted it to.

But you're getting too complicated. The reasoning skills I'm borrowing right now have no need for supporting evidence.:supergrin:

So you got them from Geko?

Woofie
07-24-2012, 18:37
So you got them from Geko?

Only one atheist on the board comes to mind, but he doesn't show up too often.

Cavalry Doc
07-24-2012, 18:51

I sense I am missing an inside joke?? :dunno:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 18:52

Well this unbeliever is having a heck of a time telling the players without a scorecard. I can't stand atheist who bash Christianity everytime they can force an excuse and I have stood up and said so in defense of both the contributions of the faith and those faithful I respect.

But on the other hand I can't stand Westboros and right down to my toe nails I'd like to rip them apart on just the basis of them making jerks out of themselves and using both religion and their Constitutional rights in a manner I feel is disrespectful to both, as well as any other humans who's air they foul.

So where does this place me on everyones spectrum?

So sad to find out you're an orphan at my age:crying:

Woofie
07-24-2012, 19:29
I sense I am missing an inside joke?? :dunno:

No inside joke. Just no reason to name names, either. If you're paying attention you can figure out who I'm talking about pretty easily.

Woofie
07-24-2012, 19:39
Well this unbeliever is having a heck of a time telling the players without a scorecard. I can't stand atheist who bash Christianity everytime they can force an excuse and I have stood up and said so in defense of both the contributions of the faith and those faithful I respect.

But on the other hand I can't stand Westboros and right down to my toe nails I'd like to rip them apart on just the basis of them making jerks out of themselves and using both religion and their Constitutional rights in a manner I feel is disrespectful to both, as well as any other humans who's air they foul.

So where does this place me on everyones spectrum?

So sad to find out you're an orphan at my age:crying:

I can't stand WBC, either.

I don't bash Christianity either, but I do feel the need to point out double standards.

Kingarthurhk
07-24-2012, 21:34
Not "like".

These guys are asking, if not begging for an American warrior to retaliate.

The westboro baptists are reprehensible in every sense of the word. Some gays can be a little irritating, but these guys are on a mission to be as offensive as possible to get their message across.

Consider this is from a guy that voted no on the last bill to allow gay marriage in my state.

My point is they are both attention seekers and usually want as much shock value as possible. That made the whole thing ironic since they are about as compatible as fire and ice.

Altaris
07-24-2012, 21:59
Maybe we could release the shooter into the westboro church for a special appearance. He could clean house there. It's not like his charges can get any worse at this point. :wavey:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 22:11
I can't stand WBC, either.

I don't bash Christianity either, but I do feel the need to point out double standards.

a whole lot of life IS "double standards" especially when viewed by an "outsider" since even without "religion" we still have "beliefs' and preferences.

For instance, Not too many americans, regardless of religion eat dog. But we eat beef. we want to save some species but we raise and genetically alter other species to kill them for food.

Society creates conflicting laws all the time. We have one law for one purpose that directly conflicts with another.

Isn't it a double standard to wage a war in the name of freedom while imprisoning someone for making a free choice?

i don't particularly have a problem with these little details myself they are just an intellectual curiosity.

Woofie
07-25-2012, 07:11
a whole lot of life IS "double standards" especially when viewed by an "outsider" since even without "religion" we still have "beliefs' and preferences.

For instance, Not too many americans, regardless of religion eat dog. But we eat beef. we want to save some species but we raise and genetically alter other species to kill them for food.

Society creates conflicting laws all the time. We have one law for one purpose that directly conflicts with another.

Isn't it a double standard to wage a war in the name of freedom while imprisoning someone for making a free choice?

i don't particularly have a problem with these little details myself they are just an intellectual curiosity.

I'm not so much worried about double standards as they relate to our food. Open discrimination against groups of citizens in our own nation is another matter.

countrygun
07-25-2012, 11:47
I'm not so much worried about double standards as they relate to our food. Open discrimination against groups of citizens in our own nation is another matter.

Why?

Do you hate prejudice so bad that you have a prejudice against people who are prejudice?

If humans aren't a "divine manifestation" then they must be animals. Therefore isn't it a double standard to only be concerned about your own species?

I am not trying to be snarky and my toungue is partially in cheek here, but, from a philosophical point of view, I have always been amused by people who "believe" that someones elses actions are wrong because they base them on their "beliefs"

I attend a lot of funerals and there, occasionally, are folks at them who won't pray because the are "hard core atheists" Well then why are they at a funeral in the first place? Are they there to comfort the living by standing out and not following the traditions and ceremony?

If they refuse to participate in the prayer are they not just trying to please the "little god in their own heads"? That seems to be a little self centered and missing the point of the funeral.

All I am trying to say is that in the course of our existence we all are guilty of double standards (an argument could be made that our survival as a species has depended on it) and to point at religion like it was the sole source is merely for the self-gratification of the pointer.

Fiery Red XIII
07-30-2012, 16:22
http://www.bpnews.net/BPCollectionNews.asp?ID=169

http://au.christiantoday.com/article/baptists-denounce-latest-westboro-stunt/5495.htm

Also, my church has denounced them, but no 1 cares when many small places do.

Red

Cavalry Doc
07-30-2012, 17:51

There are a few cases where open discrimination is not only OK, but I would consider it preferred. Westboro, KKK, Aryn Nation, Black Panthers, MS-13, Code Pink etc....

Hell, even the undead hate the westboro nutjobs.

Westboro Church Protesters Confronted By Zombies (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/westboro-church-protesters-confronted-by-zombies/)

Ya gotta wake up pretty early in the morning to tick off zombies.

Kingarthurhk
07-31-2012, 17:13
Maybe we could release the shooter into the westboro church for a special appearance. He could clean house there. It's not like his charges can get any worse at this point. :wavey:

So only the First Amendment Life Liberty and the Persuit of Happiness for people you agree with?:shocked:

G23Gen4TX
07-31-2012, 17:42
They need to be flash mobbed.

Smoker
07-31-2012, 18:26
I live here where they are from, even though we don't agree on their agenda some of the veterans around here have explained that they are just using their freedom of speech that we have in a different way.

dbcooper
08-05-2012, 15:36
Personally I'd like to see a law related to funeral protests, say something like assaulting a funeral protest participant gets you a 1 dollar fine and civil immunity if the fine is paid in a timely manner. I'd pay mine in advance.

ksg0245
08-06-2012, 17:30
Why?

Do you hate prejudice so bad that you have a prejudice against people who are prejudice?

If humans aren't a "divine manifestation" then they must be animals. Therefore isn't it a double standard to only be concerned about your own species?

I am not trying to be snarky and my toungue is partially in cheek here, but, from a philosophical point of view, I have always been amused by people who "believe" that someones elses actions are wrong because they base them on their "beliefs"

I attend a lot of funerals and there, occasionally, are folks at them who won't pray because the are "hard core atheists" Well then why are they at a funeral in the first place? Are they there to comfort the living by standing out and not following the traditions and ceremony?

If they refuse to participate in the prayer are they not just trying to please the "little god in their own heads"? That seems to be a little self centered and missing the point of the funeral.

All I am trying to say is that in the course of our existence we all are guilty of double standards (an argument could be made that our survival as a species has depended on it) and to point at religion like it was the sole source is merely for the self-gratification of the pointer.

They're there as part of the grieving process, which is the point of the funeral. Praying isn't part of an atheist's grieving process.

High-Gear
08-06-2012, 17:46
Why?

If you had a friend who happened to be a muslim, and that friend died, would you take part in the muslim prayer and prostrate yourself bowing toward Mecca? Would you pray to a pagan god? Or would you stand respectfully silent?

I attend funerals out of respect for the deceased and their family.

Geko45
08-07-2012, 18:14
I attend funerals out of respect for the deceased and their family.

This. It's about those that are still here and making the best of their time. Which means helping them transition through a difficult time as quickly as possible.

When I attend funerals, I stand/sit quietly/respectfully during any religous components.