ACTUAL arguments FOR firearms ban [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ACTUAL arguments FOR firearms ban

Ballisticism
07-23-2012, 15:33
Someone recently offered this explanation for her opinion that firearms should be banned:

:wavey:If firearms were illegal, then regular people wouldn't have them and so the temptation to shoot somebody wouldn't be there. Like, [for example,] if someone went into a shop with something in his pocket and said 'I have a gun' and tried to rob the store, if the store owner had a gun under the counter, they they might be tempted to shoot the person, but what if the person really didn't have a gun and was just pretending? I mean, I'm just saying that if people didn't have guns then they wouldn't be tempted to shoot people with them.

:shocked:

Prior to that, I met someone who thought guns should be illegal because she didn't like them, asserting "Guns do bad things!"

Where do these ideas come from?

Jerry
07-23-2012, 16:49
That was written by a 12 year-old right?

Where do those ideas come from? Immature illogical minds.

countrygun
07-23-2012, 17:26

Many of them from the entertainment industry or their co-dependents in politics.

jph02
07-23-2012, 17:51
I can't believe you guys can't understand the simple logic behind this. It's so obvious anyone can see it: if regular people didn't have guns, criminals wouldn't need guns so they would all obey the laws from now on. :faint:

Ballisticism
07-23-2012, 19:40

"The temptation to shoot somebody wouldn't be there" - 24 years old, otherwise intelligent and successfully studying chemical engineering.

"Guns do bad things" - 20 years old, basically psychologically normal.

countrygun
07-23-2012, 19:47
"The temptation to shoot somebody wouldn't be there" - 24 years old, otherwise intelligent and successfully studying chemical engineering.

"Guns do bad things" - 20 years old, basically psychologically normal.

Please don't take this as an insult, but I must say I am sceptical about your conclusions based on the evidence you have presented.

Ballisticism
07-23-2012, 19:55
Please don't take this as an insult, but I must say I am sceptical about your conclusions based on the evidence you have presented.

Haha, good point.

I just meant, they're not mentally handicapped. They're adults that are pretty close to completely developed neurologically, if not psychologically.

nursetim
07-23-2012, 19:55
but what if the person really didn't have a gun and was just pretending?

This goes under the category of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

oldman11
07-23-2012, 19:59

No, it's got to be a 6 yr old because a 12 year old would know better.

Jerry
07-23-2012, 21:00
I can't believe you guys can't understand the simple logic behind this. It's so obvious anyone can see it: if regular people didn't have guns, criminals wouldn't need guns so they would all obey the laws from now on. :faint:
It frightens me that you understood that. :rofl:

Gunnut 45/454
07-23-2012, 23:41
And those are the people the thugs and BG's just love! To mame and kill that is ! I prefer to make the thugs and BG's bleed as much as possible for there booty!:supergrin:

Ballisticism
You need to tell those two people to put signs on there front doors and in there lawns saying! " Notice to all criminals and rapists- my doors are unlocked and I have no firearms - please feel free to rape , rob and murder me":rofl:

Jerry
07-24-2012, 11:58
Ballisticism
You need to tell those two people to put signs on there front doors and in there lawns saying! " Notice to all criminals and rapists- my doors are unlocked and I have no firearms - please feel free to rape , rob and murder me":rofl:

But that would be like aaaaaaa you know stupid. ;) :rofl:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 12:10
I have found a tactic, when dealing with folks like that. This will reduce them to tears in moments. Simplty ask them,

"If guns are so bad, how come Santa keeps bringing them to me every Christmas, after all Santa wouldn't do anything bad, would he"?

The mental collision of beliefs in their heads sends them into brainlock.

To kick them over the edge mention that the Easter Bunny leaves you ammo

Jerry
07-24-2012, 14:12
I have found a tactic, when dealing with folks like that. This will reduce them to tears in moments. Simplty ask them,

"If guns are so bad, how come Santa keeps bringing them to me every Christmas, after all Santa wouldn't do anything bad, would he"?

The mental collision of beliefs in their heads sends them into brainlock.

To kick them over the edge mention that the Easter Bunny leaves you ammo

:rofl:

Brucev
07-24-2012, 20:34
Re:OP. Like it or not, the non-gun owning population is far larger than those who actually one or more guns of any sort. Those who enjoy and frequently shoot guns are a very small subset of the population. That's just the way it is. And, it is not likely to improve. The high cost of firearms and ammunition as well as the problem of finding a place to shoot are serious barriers to bringing new people into the shooting sports. Things such as the fool in Colorado killing and wounding so many absolutely innocent people make it harder to interest new people in handguns/rifles, etc.

Gunnut 45/454
07-24-2012, 23:27
Jerry
Come on I'm trying to get rid of the Liberal anti-gunners! I figure it's best to have the people they are trying to protect do it for us all! It's saves our bullets for the ones that need them most!:rofl:

Jerry
07-25-2012, 14:34
Jerry
Come on I'm trying to get rid of the Liberal anti-gunners! I figure it's best to have the people they are trying to protect do it for us all! It's saves our bullets for the ones that need them most!:rofl:

If it would only work. I'll donate some signs if you can get them to post them on their front lawns. :supergrin:

Gunnut 45/454
07-26-2012, 12:48
Jerry
I tried that with the very ,very few anti's around here!!! Actually stuck the signs in there yards !!! I couldn't understand why they were upset about it! The cops thought it was a great idea as they'd know where to watch for the thugs! They especially didn't appreciate it when I found there Facebook pages and "Updated them" with the signs! Liberal just have no sense of humor!:rofl:

ancient_serpent
07-26-2012, 15:04
Re:OP. Like it or not, the non-gun owning population is far larger than those who actually one or more guns of any sort. Those who enjoy and frequently shoot guns are a very small subset of the population. That's just the way it is. And, it is not likely to improve. The high cost of firearms and ammunition as well as the problem of finding a place to shoot are serious barriers to bringing new people into the shooting sports. Things such as the fool in Colorado killing and wounding so many absolutely innocent people make it harder to interest new people in handguns/rifles, etc.

Reasons such as these are why each one of us has to be capable of presenting informed conversation or valid arguments as the need arises.

eracer
07-26-2012, 15:06
The biggest problem is equal coverage in the MSM. Watching the 6 o'clock News is the only thinking a lot of people do each day.

NEOH212
07-27-2012, 03:31
There is no argument that can be made. A ban is Unconstitutional and there by illegal.

:wavey:

Kamo
07-27-2012, 04:24

I'm not too sure about this. The sale of guns in Colorado rose 41% within a week of the cinema shooting. I look at that as a sign that people are finally beginning to wake up and realize that their safety is ultimately in their own hands. The police were present but 12 innocents were still taken out. The average response time (in NY) to a 911 call is ten minutes. A lot of lead can fly from a gun in the hands of a criminal in ten minutes.

Jerry
07-27-2012, 11:05
Jerry
I tried that with the very ,very few anti's around here!!! Actually stuck the signs in there yards !!! I couldn't understand why they were upset about it! The cops thought it was a great idea as they'd know where to watch for the thugs! They especially didn't appreciate it when I found there Facebook pages and "Updated them" with the signs! Liberal just have no sense of humor!:rofl:

Well! At least you tried to be a good neighbor. :supergrin:

countrygun
07-27-2012, 17:35

If you rule out the illegal owners

If you add in the people who have never answered a poll

If you add the people that have purchased their one or two in "face-to-face" purchases (I know several) and therefor don't show up in "official statistics"

If you add in the people who don't think it's a poll takers business and say "no"

If you add in the tragic victims that "used to, before the boat accident"

I think the gap is a lot smaller than you can imagine.

TexasFats
07-30-2012, 12:19
I would never answer a telephone poll question about gun ownership honestly. I don't know who is on the other end of the line. Also, I would lie like a dog on any doctor's form that asked about guns. I just don't want anybody like that to know. It is none of their business so long as what I have is legally possessed and used.

Ballisticism
07-30-2012, 13:54
I would never answer a telephone poll question about gun ownership honestly. I don't know who is on the other end of the line. Also, I would lie like a dog on any doctor's form that asked about guns. I just don't want anybody like that to know. It is none of their business so long as what I have is legally possessed and used.

These were people that I talked to personally :cool: