Learn me on a German Luger. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Learn me on a German Luger.

WarEagle32
07-23-2012, 17:54
I have a chance to buy a German Luger. I havent seen the gun but I'm told it's in great shape. I don't know much about them at all. It is being sold by a friend of my fathers. It was his fathers, and he has no interest in it. He doesn't even know how much to sell it for. Anybody knows a good bit about them give me as much info as you can about them, and what I should look for on it. Thanks!

tjpet
07-23-2012, 18:13
Your best bet is to go to www.lugerforum.com and look through the various areas.

MarcDW
07-23-2012, 18:17
Lugers are guns you can't just put in a nut shell.
It takes some experience to see if it's the original blueing, then which magazines are really the right ones and so on.
You want to make sure that the parts are the same number.

Berto
07-23-2012, 21:14
Lugers were made by several manufactures in both Swiss (P1900) and German (PO8) patterns, and had some slight differences in the mainspring and striker assemblies.
Some can have very good triggers, others can be creepy and stiff, but they are known for being very accurate shooting pistols, and the grip angle was used as a model for perfect point-shooting guns.
Almost any Luger, save the Stoeger .22lr copy, is a worthwhile find, assuming a decent bore and mechanicals.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg28/scaled.php?server=28&filename=sterlinglpdogs009.jpg&res=medium

WarEagle32
07-23-2012, 23:11
Thanks so far guys

John Biltz
07-24-2012, 03:29
I think Gun Stories are about Lugers this week.

Baba Louie
07-24-2012, 05:09
The actual serial number is on the frame below the barrel, a 4 digit number with an alpha letter.
The Germans were fastidious with their numbering on parts, so collector grade will have matching numbers (last two or three of serial#). Shooter grade might very well be a mish mash of numbers.
Toggle bolt design is unique unto itself, being a later evolution of the C93 Borchardt concept.
Finish is blue with small parts having a goldish coloring known as straw finish.
Early models might have a grip safety. Later ones do not.
Originally designed in .30 caliber 7.65x21, later introduced the 9mm parabellum aka 9mm luger, 9x19.

Wiki has a pretty good primer page.

Value can be all over the place. Back in '95/95 there were a lot of Russian capture mish mash shooters around. I snagged a pair for $250 each. Bore shot smooth, grip panels were smooth as well. One was a double stamp. Here's a shot of them together...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u308/Babalou55/Lugers006.jpg

As you can see these two were rode & hard put away wet and saw a lot of use. Value isn't much per se... but if they could talk. Bringbacks in better condition will have more value, ranging from $1500 up. If it has correct holster, more value.

They do not like wimpy 9mm ammo.

Jim Watson
07-24-2012, 06:54
As the cynic said, back when Luger prices were headed for the stratosphere like 1911s now, "They made two million Lugers, and if you listen to a collector each and every one was a separate and distinct model." OK, he exaggerated, there are probably two of each model.

You won't know what you have until you see it and identify the configuration and markings.

bac1023
07-24-2012, 07:38
I have a 1970's Mauser Luger.

Its never been fired though. I'd like to get a shooter at some point. They're very well built pistols.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1723.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1863.jpg

PzGren
07-24-2012, 09:39
The Pistole 08 was made by more makers than DWM, Mauser, Simson &Co, Suhl, and the licensed Swiss production, there is also the elusive Vickers 08 that was produced when the Versailles treaty did not allow Germany to produce 9mm handguns. There are Vopo 08 pistols, 1970 Mauser "re-productions" first on Swiss machines, Russian captured and re-worked guns. The American Eagles are a world of their own.

Not all small parts on P.08s were strawed and there are a lot of variations. Like Mark DW has pointed out, it is not easy to determine originality. Mauser rustblued their guns until early 1937, from then on they were dipped.

There is barely a firearm with a greater collector's appeal and variations in value, starting at $350 and going up to the value of a modest dwelling.

A perfectly good Haenel magazine can easily cost more than most here are willing to pay for a Glock.