My flashlight came in [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My flashlight came in

cliffsta
07-23-2012, 19:31
I went with the Fenix E11 for my SD/HD lighting needs. It was cheap, it takes one AA, and its plenty bright. Battery life is supposedly 1.5 hours on bright and much longer on dim, but AA batteries are cheap as heck, so no worries.

The 4D Maglite still stays under my bed (though it may move to the kitchen) as a melee weapon, but now I have a practical light system to use in conjunction with my G22. I mean, if someone breaks in they're getting shot, but if I need to beat down a drunken uncle, I'd prefer not to end their life :rofl:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-23-2012, 19:43
Kewl. Flashlight fan here myself. I was up to about 30, but thinned the herd by half a few months ago... Still have some nice ones, though...

checkyoursix
07-24-2012, 05:21
Shipwreck, since you have tried several, which one would you recommend for IDPA?

My priorities are

1) ease of manipulation with a gun is what makes you win in the end. If you can comfortably grip the light and the gun you are more than halfway there.

2) a holster that can be easily accessed

3) AA or AAA batteries rather than some dedicated - read expensive - energy source

4) lumens are last because I just need to see the targets not to illuminate a runway.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-24-2012, 08:17
Shipwreck, since you have tried several, which one would you recommend for IDPA?

My priorities are

1) ease of manipulation with a gun is what makes you win in the end. If you can comfortably grip the light and the gun you are more than halfway there.

2) a holster that can be easily accessed

3) AA or AAA batteries rather than some dedicated - read expensive - energy source

4) lumens are last because I just need to see the targets not to illuminate a runway.

Well, I don't generally buy AA or AAA lights. I like the ones that use two 123 batteries. You can buy 2 packs of them cheaper than what one costs at Wal-Mart - if you know where to look. And, you can buy in bulk online for even cheaper prices.

However, I use rechargable lithium ion batteries in all mine - buy the battery and charger - but then zero guilt about how expensive the batteries are as you use the light.

Anyway, Eagletac is my favorite brand. They make VERY nice lights. And, it just so happens that they do make some AA and AAA lights.

Here is their list:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/index.html

But this is their brightest AA light:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26929.html

The list of LED variants can get hard to decipher for someone not into flashlights. You would want this one: P20A2 MKII - XM-L HO (360 Lumen) for $69.99.

But, as you can tell from their total list (first link up above), there are different AA and AAA lights - depending on your price range.

checkyoursix
07-24-2012, 18:35
YOu are very kind indeed Sir.

Let's forget the battery part then, would you recommend a model or two please based on the other parameters?

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-24-2012, 20:39
YOu are very kind indeed Sir.

Let's forget the battery part then, would you recommend a model or two please based on the other parameters?

Ok. I looked at AA lights before - if i was going to buy one, it would be this one (I listed it above):

http://texasgunforum.com/index.php?topic=6629.0

To me, the brighter the better. I use the turbo feature on all my lights like 98% of the time. But, this light has 4 different settings, if you want to use less lumens...

Choose the first option for $69.99. Once you add it to the shopping cart, you then choose :"cool" or "Neutral." I get the "cool" option for all of my Eagletac lights.

GlockFish
07-24-2012, 20:44
Nice.

I have a several Fenix flashlights.

The Fenix LD15 that I have on my keychain has been incredible.

It takes 1 AA battery and throws out 117 lumens. It's about the size of my pinkie finger.

Rustin
07-25-2012, 06:54
I got an ITP SC2 ELUMA at a gun show a while back. 220 lumens, low, medium, high and strobe mode, anti roll angles, a "frag" texture on the grip and it runs on 2 CR123A's. I paid only $40. It was worth the money and then some! At one point, it became completely submerged in water for a couple of seconds, and after fishing it out worked like nothing happened. I've dropped it one concrete plenty of times as well. This light has everything I need although I could certainly do without the strobe. My buddy got a supposed 600+ lumen flashlight from EagleTac for twice what I paid and it was hardly any brighter than mine. My flashlight featured a more focused beam while his eagletac light flooded the entire room with light. It was a solid light, well built for sure, but I wasn't impressed by the level of brightness at that cost. I'm still looking for an even better flashlight so if any one has any recommendations I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it. Thanks.

bac1023
07-25-2012, 16:31
Kewl. Flashlight fan here myself. I was up to about 30, but thinned the herd by half a few months ago... Still have some nice ones, though...

Dang, that's a lot of flashlights! ;)

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-25-2012, 17:49
I'm still looking for an even better flashlight so if any one has any recommendations I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it. Thanks.

Short of the TK70 Fenix, I'd say - try the BC40 Jetbeam. I have one, and it is my fav light. 830 lumens out the front. I use two 18650 lithium ion rechargables, but you can use four 123 batteries too. Damn far throw and light output for the siz - and for $70, its a steal.

bmoore
07-25-2012, 18:20
I am a flashlight nut myself. This afternoon my Powetac warrior came. Wow, this thing is insane. A little pricey but it will be my new frontline work light. The torture test they did with it was impressive and their no hassle lifetime warranty is nice. I figure I'm better off collecting flashlights, no 10 day wait, cheaper and I actually get to carry it.

Rustin
07-26-2012, 08:03
Short of the TK70 Fenix, I'd say - try the BC40 Jetbeam. I have one, and it is my fav light. 830 lumens out the front. I use two 18650 lithium ion rechargables, but you can use four 123 batteries too. Damn far throw and light output for the siz - and for $70, its a steal.

What a coincidence. The first light I bought, the one that really got me into flashlights, was the jetbeam BC30. It offered 350 lumens on high and it definitely delivered! I got it for $40 as well. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the high was too high, and the low was too low. Just my preference to have a medium. I lost it anyway ( :crying:NEVER use a velcro holster!) but I think it's one of the better values out there with a very impressive output.