1911 (Commander or full-size) with loaded chamber indicator? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 (Commander or full-size) with loaded chamber indicator?

devildog2067
07-23-2012, 20:34
Starting to plan Christmas presents (yes, I start early).

I'd like to get a .45 ACP 1911 for my father-in-law. Years ago, he had an ND with one after the chambered round failed to extract when he racked the slide (still his fault, I know, trust me I've told him that). He hasn't touched a 1911 since. I think one of the newer models with an external extractor and a loaded chamber indicator might just be the ticket.

Does such a 1911 exist? I've had Kimbers and currently own an S&W 1911SC, which has a little notch cut into the chamber at the top and you can look down and see brass, but I was thinking of something more like the little block that sticks out of the slide slightly when a round is chambered.

devildog2067
11-13-2012, 21:42
Nothing, eh? Christmas is getting close...

Jim Watson
11-13-2012, 22:54
I do not know of one offhand.
I don't think the extractors on the S&W or Sig mutants protrude enough to serve as a loaded chamber indicator.

Long, long ago, Larry Seecamp would install one on his full house guns, but then he discovered pocket pistols and quit working on 1911s.

Bruce M
11-14-2012, 11:28
May not be what you are looking for but the S&W 1911s seem to have the loaded chamber indicator as a small inspection port at the top of the chamber.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/155826B4-2EEF-43B1-BEFA-6AC1C11E4358/FinalDownload/DownloadId-EBB03A1D24F2FCF1C75FD86C055C56E9/155826B4-2EEF-43B1-BEFA-6AC1C11E4358/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/S&W_1911_Manual.pdf

My "E" has it as does my Shield. It has worked well for me but it is visual not tactile.

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 10:58
I don't think the extractors on the S&W or Sig mutants protrude enough to serve as a loaded chamber indicator.

May not be what you are looking for but the S&W 1911s seem to have the loaded chamber indicator as a small inspection port at the top of the chamber.

Yeah, I have a 1911SC, I'm aware of both the inspection notch on the top of the chamber and the external extractor that protrudes a bit (but not a lot).

I was hoping that maybe there's something like the Ruger-style "loaded when up" flag but maybe there isn't. No big deal. Thanks for the help.

Bren
11-30-2012, 11:21
In 25+ years of owning handguns, I have not yet ever noticed a loaded chamber indicator on a pistol or used one to tell if a round was chambered. Never known anybody else to ever look at one either. Those thing won't work unless you get one that lights up.

If I really thought somebody was going to ND, I'd duracoat the barrel hood hunter orange and make the point about it, so they'd be reminded every time they look at it.

faawrenchbndr
11-30-2012, 11:27
I have no use for a LCI.
I do not know of one that exists on a 1911

WiskyT
11-30-2012, 18:57
Get him a water pistol.

Wyoming
11-30-2012, 21:03
I have no use for a LCI.

They do. It is called a press check.:whistling:

One thing the OP might consider getting is a 22 conversion unit for the 1911. The more your farther in law shoots it the more familiar he will become with handling the 1911.

The old Colt floating chamber conversion unit should be left to collectors. It can be a pain in the butt. I have had a Kimber for years now that I like. It is for the full length model 1911. I have an Advantage Arms 22 conversion unit for Commander lenght that I got last year that so far I have good luck with.

bac1023
11-30-2012, 21:41
I have no use for a LCI.

:agree:

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 22:50
In 25+ years of owning handguns, I have not yet ever notice a loaded chamber indicator on a pistol or used one to tell if a round was chambered. Never known anybody else to ever look at one either. Those thing won't work unless you get one that lights up.

I don't rely on it, but I do notice the one on my Walther PPK/s.

If I really though somebody was going to ND, I'd duracoat the barrel hood hunter orange and make the point about it, so they'd be reminded every time they look at it.

I don't think he's going to ND--he's managed to not shoot himself or anyone else with any of his other couple of dozen guns in the last 20 years, and he carries a Hi-Power pretty regularly--but like I said, he literally hasn't touched a 1911 since the time he made a stupid mistake with one. He's a hard guy to buy presents for and I thought it might be nice to get him one that he'd be willing to shoot.

Back to the drawing board.

hogship
12-01-2012, 04:26
My SA Milspec has the inspection hole on top of the chamber.

I've gotten used to the inspection holes on two of my three carry guns. The LCP and the MP9c have the inspection holes and they are good for indicating that the gun is loaded.......but, I don't trust them to indicate the gun is unloaded. The one and ONLY method of checking to see if a firearm is unloaded, is to visually check the chamber. (My third carry gun is a Kahr MK40......no inspection hole, so the only way to check for a loaded, or unloaded condition, is to partially pull back on the slide and do a visual check.)

Years ago, he had an ND with one after the chambered round failed to extract when he racked the slide
My apologies to the OP, but I'm really having difficulty buying this story you've been given by your FIL. I suspect it's an excuse for poor firearms handling. The reason I say that, is because the extracted round has to go somewhere, and it's difficult to imagine anyone not noticing the absence of the extracted round. Who knows what reallly happened, but a more plausible scenario would be he racked the slide on what he thought was an unloaded magazine and pulled the trigger..........

There nearly always seems to be excuses for ND's, and it's very common to blame the gun, rather than the trigger puller.

ooc

Green Dragoon
12-01-2012, 06:54
IMHO, there is no difference between relying on an indicator and thinking I can point a hot weapon at somebody because the safety is on.

ca survivor
12-03-2012, 17:46
I would think is a bad idea to arm a father in law, specially with a history of ND. :rofl:

bac1023
12-03-2012, 18:37
IMHO, there is no difference between relying on an indicator and thinking I can point a hot weapon at somebody because the safety is on.

Pretty much

Berto
12-03-2012, 22:22
Since he's comfortable with cond 1 carry already (unless he totes the BHP chamber empty) , you could always sell him on the idea that he's easily as safe with the 1911 since it has both the grip safety and fp in addition to the thumb safety he's used to on the BHP. Many BHP don't even have the fp safety.
If he's that pathological about the 1911 specifically, get him a nice K frame S&W revolver, who wouldn't like that?:supergrin: