Olympic Shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Shooting

GlockinNJ
07-23-2012, 20:58
With the Olympics about to start, I thought I would check out the shooting competitions, which include 25m rapid fire pistol and 50m slow fire pistol.

Here's some video from the Beijing Olympics.

Shooting - Men's 25M Rapid Fire Pistol - Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Games - YouTube

Shooting - Men's 50M Pistol - Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Games - YouTube

They are using some funky guns.

Curious - has any GT'er ever competed with these types of guns in this type of competition?

ithaca_deerslayer
07-23-2012, 21:11
I could so outshoot these guys. A meter's, what, a half a foot right?

jkf74
07-23-2012, 21:19
I don't know what looks more weird, their guns or their glasses.

Just1More
07-23-2012, 22:04
I heard the Olympics needed to get "special approval" to hold this event, because these guns are banned in England.

jp3975
07-23-2012, 22:33
I could so outshoot these guys. A meter's, what, a half a foot right?

1 meter= 3.2 feet.

Blankshooter
07-23-2012, 22:47
1 meter= 3.2 feet.

Is there an emoticon with a guy skimming his hand over his head making a bzzzzzzzeeeeeeewwww sound? I wish I could post it here, because that one went over your head at about 90mph ... Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Trigger Finger
07-23-2012, 23:06
When I was on LAPD we had a shooting instructor who was on the Police Olympic shooting team and competed one year at the real Olympics whth one of the ray gun looking custom pistols.

A little trivia.....The first Olympics that were held in 1932 in Los Angeles was the 10th modern day Olympics. This was such a big deal that the city changed the name of 10th street to Olympic Blvd to honor the 10th modern day Olympics.

The first Olympic Village was built for the athletes competing in Los Angeles. This was later donated to the Los Angeles Police Department and today is the LAPD Academy in Elysian Park, within view of Dodger Stadium, in Chavez Ravine. It was used as the LAPD Academy since 1933. I had the distinction of working the Olympics in LA when they were there a second time in 1984!!

Sorry if I bored anyone. :supergrin:

Lior
07-23-2012, 23:44
Olympic pistol shooting is incredibly difficult. Burning through IPSC courses with a racegun is easy in comparison to hitting tens on a 10m airpistol range.

My mental power gym sessions consist of me shooting my Walter LP400, wondering how on earth the Olympic athletes get so good at it.

BobCZ
07-24-2012, 05:02
I am more interested in Olympic skeet. Sgt. Vincent Hancock (US Army) should be favored for another gold medal this Olympics.

International Skeet or Olympic Skeet is quite different than the American version so popular here. Never understood the popularity of American Skeet.

Steff1
07-24-2012, 07:14
Is there an emoticon with a guy skimming his hand over his head making a bzzzzzzzeeeeeeewwww sound? I wish I could post it here, because that one went over your head at about 90mph ... Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
LOL !!!!!!:rofl:

tjpet
07-24-2012, 16:03
I am more interested in Olympic skeet. Sgt. Vincent Hancock (US Army) should be favored for another gold medal this Olympics.

International Skeet or Olympic Skeet is quite different than the American version so popular here. Never understood the popularity of American Skeet.

Except for target speed US-style skeet, until then late 1950s, was shot with a gun down starting point and a delayed/timed release. The NSSA did away with those requirements at that time trying to drum up more members by making the game easier.