My first shared recipe for 40s&w! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first shared recipe for 40s&w!

walrus108
07-23-2012, 22:11
Been reloading for a bit now and I think I've really stumbled into something that is a great load for a stock barrel G22. This is nothing extraordinary, but it is very cheap, easy to shoot, consistent, and very accurate. It also should be very easy on brass, so you can reload max times for the brass. Just my attempt to give back and encourage sideline future newbies like I was just a short time ago.

Here goes;

Mixed once fired brass (mine saved over the years), 180gr Berry's Plated bullets, CCI SP primers, and 4.5gr Titegroup powder loaded to 1.134 OAL. This is one of the most accurate and reliable loads I've ever shot in my 15+yo G22. Very accurate in fact and easy to get follow-up shots. I'd estimate it @940fps, tops. Target load for sure. Much more accurate than WWB I shot side by side with it. Hope that helps someone someday!

If anyone tries it, even if it's someone 3 years from now who's just getting started, please post back and let me know how it worked for you. This board seems to be filled with thrill seekers who are after the max bang/velocity. I flirt with that in 10mm too, and you can make some VERY HOT, but safe, 40 loads with bluedot (I have). But this is IMO the essence of reloading.

Good-luck!

walrus108
07-23-2012, 22:26
A few things I forgot that may be crucial using these inexpensive plated bullets. The case should be expanded just enough to seat the bullet and crimped just enough to get a case mouth measurement of .421-.422. If your doing it right, you can try to spin the bullet in the shell and it won't. You can push rather hard on the loading bench trying to push bullet deeper into the case, and it won't change OAL. You should also be able to inertia pull any bullet showing absolutely no plating damage. The bullet should be reusable in appearance. If your crimping right, it will feel like your doing nothing. And I make sure that in my Lee Classic Turret press, that the crimping stage has zero effect on OAL. OAL is set in the 3rd die alone.

Boxerglocker
07-23-2012, 22:26
I just checked my load book from when I loaded .40

180 Grain Rainier RN, 4.3g TG at 1.135 -173PF when shot out of a G35... you should be pretty close with that load.
I will say though that TG was never my favorite powder for .40 major, I preferred WSF.... for minor though in .40 TG was the shiznit

walrus108
07-23-2012, 22:50
Yeah, the jar of TG has listed on it an 180gr load using 4.7gr. I went a tad lower due to the plated bullets. 4.5 is the max it's metering. All my abundant checks weigh 4.45-4.5. Meters very well. Compared to the full house 40 loads I usually shoot, this stuff sounds and recoils like a cap gun! Prob right on the edge of major like you said though. I see a chronograph in my future!

fredj338
07-24-2012, 10:22
Yeah, the jar of TG has listed on it an 180gr load using 4.7gr. I went a tad lower due to the plated bullets. 4.5 is the max it's metering. All my abundant checks weigh 4.45-4.5. Meters very well. Compared to the full house 40 loads I usually shoot, this stuff sounds and recoils like a cap gun! Prob right on the edge of major like you said though. I see a chronograph in my future!

You can't guestimate vel w/ a given load, especially when you change bullets. With a plated bullet, you are pushing max. Plated load between lead & jacketed, so reducing 0.2gr has you running right at the edge. If you want to safely run above 900fps, switch to WSF.

shotgunred
07-24-2012, 17:12
Win 231 is a better choice for accurate bunnyfart loads with a 180 bullet in 40 SW.