Spring change in Taurus 85 UL 38SP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spring change in Taurus 85 UL 38SP

frizz
07-24-2012, 03:21
Mas -

May I present you a question regarding changing factory springs in this revolver?

From the factory, the trigger pull on this pistol was horrible. You had to squeeze it VERY hard to get it to fire. It was to the point that the recoil of a mere non-+P 38SP was painful.

I suppose the practically un-useable thing should have gone back to Taurus.

The fix for this was a Wolff spring kit for the hammer and trigger. It fixed the pull to what is normal for a 38SP, and it is well within the safe zone for a revolver.

The question I have relates to (please, God, no) having to fire this is self-defense. How bad will it look if the prosecution decides to bring this up at trial? Will a jury tend to ignore this, or would it tend to hurt.

I am in the far Southeast and I don't leave it much, so any jury would almost certainly be made up of people from MI/TN/AL/GA/FL. Also not that in the three counties I spend 99% of my time in, the DAs tend to be be in favor of self defense.

I know that nothing is certain, and that everything is a roll of the dice, but given the above, how much of a problem is the spring replacement?

One other thing, there are many people how will testify that I have said, "castle doctrine or not, and regardless of legal justification, if you can avoid a shooting, avoid it. And eat your pride run like Hell if you need to. A dirtbag is still a human being."

Mas Ayoob
07-24-2012, 22:15
If the springs WORK in the gun and it meets factory pull weight, I for one wouldn't worry about it. Pretty tough to convince someone that there's such a thing as a double action hair "trigger."

best,
Mas

frizz
07-26-2012, 06:20
If the springs WORK in the gun and it meets factory pull weight, I for one wouldn't worry about it. Pretty tough to convince someone that there's such a thing as a double action hair "trigger."

I will ask my local gunshop owner (who is an expert) what HE thinks of the trigger pull. I should have noted that in single action, it is a hair trigger, but in double action, it is the same as any other DA revolver.

But even before the fix, in SA you had to squeeze that trigger just as hard to get the hammer to drop.

If it a fair or accurate statement to say that your had to squeeze the trigger so hard that it hurt your hand (before firing) that it didn't really "work"? I did save the original springs.

Mas Ayoob
07-26-2012, 07:43
If it's "hair trigger" now, you've got Plaintiff's Counsel's Guaranteed Employment Act riding in your holster. All the other side has to do is claim that you cocked the gun and then negligently discharged it, and they have the negligence element they need to sustain a manslaughter charge or a wrongful death suit. This is why so many police departments went to double action only, which is what I also suggest in a carry revolver.

A trigger that hurts your hand to pull would indeed have been out of adjustment.

best,
Mas