Colt Custom Shop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Custom Shop?

Chunky Mayonnaise
07-24-2012, 04:27
I have a nice old Colt Commander sitting in my safe that hardly ever gets shot, and I've been considering sending it out for some work. I noticed that Colt has a package that includes most of what I want. I lifted this description from the pdf on their site

"COLT Tactical Package – Includes action tuning plus complete dehorn; replace grip safety with Smith and Alexander or Ed Brown with/without palm swell; replace safety with strong side or ambidextrous tactical safety; checker front strap (20 or 25 lpi); enhance cut front strap; install flat checkered mainspring housing (20 or 25 lpi); bevel magazine well; tune trigger; install Novak night sights. Complete refinish in customer’s choice of available Colt finishes. $875

I'm mostly just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Colt Custom Shop. I've seen a few threads on other forums with favorable results, and figured why not ask GT what they think?

bac1023
07-24-2012, 06:02
They have gotten better.

deadite
07-24-2012, 06:19
The Colt guys over at 1911forum swear by the custom shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 06:21
I would suggest taking a Colt to a pistol smith vs Colt's CS

brisk21
07-24-2012, 07:51
I think that a Colt that was worked on by Colt's own custom shop would hold more value than if it were worked on by another shop. It keeps the factory flavor.

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 08:43
Have to disagree,......Colt custom shop will never compare in value
to a Novak or Harrison tweaked Colt!

paul45
07-24-2012, 11:34
I would suggest taking a Colt to a pistol smith vs Colt's CS

Would you kindly show us example/s of the Colt Custom Shop work you have had done that prevents you from recommending them?

glock2740
07-24-2012, 12:48
Would you kindly show us example/s of the Colt Custom Shop work you have had done that prevents you from recommending them?
Question.

Answer.

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 12:54

No example, just good old common sense. I've seen Colt's work,
it does not compare to Springfield's Custom Shop. Neither are even
close to Novak, Harrison, Rogers, GI, or many others' custom work.

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 12:55
The Colt guys over at 1911forum swear by the custom shop.

Ok,........1911Forum carries no weight. Hell, many there think
Fusion produces a 1st class product! :rofl:

Those that know, know better! :whistling:

Chunky Mayonnaise
07-24-2012, 13:08

I would love to send it out to Harrison, but that's more a dream than a reality for me. Novak on the other hand is definitely a possibility.

glock2740
07-24-2012, 15:09
I would love to send it out to Harrison, but that's more a dream than a reality for me. Novak on the other hand is definitely a possibility.
I don't know what kind of wait time Colt's CS has, but for what their Tactical Package offers (which is the package I was looking recently myself to have done to a Colt I was looking at) for $875, I would go with them on this. That amount with what you have in your Colt will make for an awesome gun for the money you'll have in it. :cool:

ca survivor
07-24-2012, 15:47
I would by a gun that has everything you want and sell the Colt to get some of the money back.

glock2740
07-24-2012, 15:55
I would by a gun that has everything you want and sell the Colt to get some of the money back.
I disagree. I'd rather have the one I already owned turned in to what I want. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 16:52
I disagree. I'd rather have the one I already owned turned in to what I want. :cool:

Yep..........& I'd suggest Pistolwrench.

glock2740
07-24-2012, 17:14
Yep..........& I'd suggest Pistolwrench.
Double ditto. :cool: :thumbsup:

deadite
07-24-2012, 21:07
Double ditto. :cool: :thumbsup:
How long of a wait would that be? curious...

glock2740
07-24-2012, 21:26
I didn't ask them, but I'm sure it's a lot shorter wait time than some of the other smith's that have been mentioned.

brisk21
07-24-2012, 22:00
Yes your right 2740. If you use one of the best 10 gunsmiths in the country, then it would be better. Im just saying colts custom shop would be better than some random gunsmith no one has ever heard of.

glock2740
07-24-2012, 22:11
Yes your right 2740. If you use one of the best 10 gunsmiths in the country, then it would be better. Im just saying colts custom shop would be better than some random gunsmith no one has ever heard of.
I never disagreed with that. I even said in a post above, that I was contemplating sending a Colt to Colt's CS for their "Tactical Package" myself. I like everything about that package and have no doubts that I would love the results.

Chunky Mayonnaise
07-24-2012, 23:31

I've got a few STI's that fill that role. The Colt has some sentimental value to me so it would never get sold. Also I have $0 tied into the gun it was gifted to me.

faawrenchbndr
07-25-2012, 06:42
How long of a wait would that be? curious...

You would have to e-mail Chuck

glock2740
07-25-2012, 07:29
I've got a few STI's that fill that role. The Colt has some sentimental value to me so it would never get sold. Also I have $0 tied into the gun it was gifted to me.
I think the "Tactical Package" from Colt's CS would turn your Commander into a thing of beauty. :cool:

brisk21
07-25-2012, 08:43
Yeah, I like the idea of having a Colt worked over by Colts custom shop. Id love to put a "tactical package" on a new series '70.

LTR
07-27-2012, 07:37
Good value for the money in my opinion. When I ordered my Tactical Package a couple years ago, they allowed changes to be made to the package at no charge or additional charge. Five months to complete.

Here is my Colt CC before work
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00350.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00349.jpg
After its return from the Colt Custom Shop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00393.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00392.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00391.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/DSC00388.jpg

fnfalman
07-27-2012, 08:28
I wonder if Colt Custom Shop really meant it when they said "any finish".

I'd pick Royal Blued, thank you very much!!!

LTR
07-27-2012, 08:57
I wonder if Colt Custom Shop really meant it when they said "any finish".

I'd pick Royal Blued, thank you very much!!!

Yes, it was one of the finishes included in the Tactical Package price.

paul45
07-27-2012, 15:29
No example, just good old common sense. I've seen Colt's work,
it does not compare to Springfield's Custom Shop. Neither are even
close to Novak, Harrison, Rogers, GI, or many others' custom work.

Interesting.

GWG19
07-27-2012, 23:00
I have three Custom shop Colts. Two are Single Actions the third is a Commander. Top notch work. Wait was less than Alan Harton and Hamilton Bowen. I will say that those guys do great work also.
I believe that most people who knock Colt have
1 Never owed one and are basing their review on hearsay because they like brand X
2 Never had seen or know anybody who has had work done at custom shop.

Also interesting how Colt Bashers who claim to own one never take anybody up their offer to get ride of the offending piece of junk.

Yes some of those other guys due fine work, ask your self what you are looking for in the job, make your decision accordingly. Keep in mind a race gun is not a carry gun and should not be used as one.

glock2740
07-27-2012, 23:58
I have three Custom shop Colts. Two are Single Actions the third is a Commander. Top notch work. Wait was less than Alan Harton and Hamilton Bowen. I will say that those guys do great work also.
I believe that most people who knock Colt have
1 Never owed one and are basing their review on hearsay because they like brand X
2 Never had seen or know anybody who has had work done at custom shop.

Also interesting how Colt Bashers who claim to own one never take anybody up their offer to get ride of the offending piece of junk.

Yes some of those other guys due fine work, ask your self what you are looking for in the job, make your decision accordingly. Keep in mind a race gun is not a carry gun and should not be used as one.
Hamilton Bowen's name and Colt's "custom shop" should NEVER be used in the same sentence. Period.