Are Internet ammo purchases the next target? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Internet ammo purchases the next target?

beforeobamabans
07-24-2012, 04:34
Those of you with a Gannett owned newspaper like the Indianapolis Star awoke to a headline story highlighting the Aurora shooter's online ammo and protective gear. The not so subtle suggestion was that you should be monitored and suspect if you were to buy a thousand rounds of ammo via the Internet--because only potential terrorists and mass murderers would need this quantity of ammo. This could be a relatively easy target since it doesn't bring 2A into play.

barbedwiresmile
07-24-2012, 05:25
It was an amazingly convenient incident.

Kingarthurhk
07-24-2012, 05:37
As far as I know 1k ammo purchases or more are red flagged. At least that is the rumor I hear.

BobbyT
07-24-2012, 06:12
As far as I know 1k ammo purchases or more are red flagged. At least that is the rumor I hear.

I hear it's 10 rounds or more. And any internet posts about any number of rounds.

barbedwiresmile
07-24-2012, 06:48
It is amusing to watch 'conservatives' empower 'government' to ban such things as texting-while-driving, and then expect that same government to restrain itself from banning/restricting such things as firearms and ammunition purchases. That's the problem, really: self-styled conservatives think government is a tool to do their bidding, that it can be controlled and used for "good". Ironically, leftists feel the same way. In reality, however, government is a loaded gun pointed at your head. And you are playing Russian roulette every time you give it more power - the equivalent of putting another round in the cylinder.

QNman
07-24-2012, 12:01

If so, I have a lot of red flags...

jeanderson
07-24-2012, 12:09
Again, if you're the 50% of the population that has never picked up a gun, you think 1000 rounds is a lot. The typical person on this forum shoots more than this in a year or less.

From all the feedback I've heard, the anti-gun crowd isn't even getting off the ground on this one. The 10+ year trend on attitudes toward guns has swung in our favor - the majority agree with the right to have and shoot a gun. No politician is going to push this one.

QNman
07-24-2012, 12:11
I hear you can buy white box ammo in boxes as small 50, but have never seen such a thing... :whistling: Unless you mean the boxes within the cardboard one. :supergrin:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 12:28
It was an amazingly convenient incident.

Convenient relative to what?

beforeobamabans
07-24-2012, 16:19
Three of us went to the range on Sunday. We shot .25, 9mm, .40 and .45. We burned up 500 rounds, no problem, in 90 minutes of fun. A 1000 rounds is nothing.

Gunnut 45/454
07-24-2012, 17:00
barbedwiresmile
We didn't need a new law on texting and driving- we already had reckless driving, and vehicular homicide on the books! So whats your point. And it was the wimpy liberals pushing those laws get your facts straight! And it's the Anti-guns liberals pushing the ammo ban crap here as well!:whistling:

SPIN2010
07-24-2012, 17:04
It is a known fact that job justification by those who are poor leaders never solved one problem in this country. Enforce the laws on the books, it has been said a million times. A 1k limit? What does that do? Nothing of course.

How many people here that work for a corporation feel like they want to puke at most meetings? Buzz word bingo ring a bell?

ModGlock17
07-24-2012, 17:48
Three of us went to the range on Sunday. We shot .25, 9mm, .40 and .45. We burned up 500 rounds, no problem, in 90 minutes of fun. A 1000 rounds is nothing.

People at my gun club will pool together and save on HazMat fee by buying tens of 8 lbs containers of gun powder, at a time. It's like a small army stocking up for a month or so!

They would also buy brass and bullets by tens of thousands.

For 22 LR, 5,000 round order isn't much!

sciolist
07-24-2012, 18:31
Where's the relationship between amount of ammo consumed and likelihood to commit acts of terror?

JFrame
07-24-2012, 18:42
Where's the relationship between amount of ammo consumed and likelihood to commit acts of terror?

You're looking for a correlation, or any other sort of reasoned rationale???

Good heavens, man -- it's for the children!!!

What does rationality have to do with anything??? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_standart/scare3.gif

http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/remake/crazy.gif

hogfish
07-24-2012, 18:59
I wonder: Do you think gun shop owners would be happy about this? What about Wal-mart?

:dunno:

beforeobamabans
07-24-2012, 19:02
I wonder: Do you think gun shop owners would be happy about this? What about Wal-mart?

:dunno:

It's not much of a reach to see the government imposing the same kind of limitations Wal-Mart voluntarily put on during the shortage a while back- no one can buy more than two or three boxes at a time.

cowboy1964
07-24-2012, 19:34
As far as I know 1k ammo purchases or more are red flagged.

Every phone call, email, fax, library checkout, fertilizer purchase, and everything else is run through NSA supercomputers and such. Why wouldn't bulk ammo sales?

JFrame
07-24-2012, 19:37
Man -- when I buy four bricks of .22 LR ammo, I must get the wires smokin'... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/mother_goose/MG_102.gif

TheExplorer
07-24-2012, 19:49
Unless the Feds force online dealers to send them regular updates of who's buying a large quantity of whatever.

G19G20
07-25-2012, 06:45
Congress outlawed tobacco sales via the internet and phone by outlawing the shipping of the products instead of outlawing the sale itself. Ammo could be handled the same way.

TheExplorer
07-25-2012, 06:49
Congress outlawed tobacco sales via the internet and phone by outlawing the shipping of the products instead of outlawing the sale itself. Ammo could be handled the same way.

That may be the more likely scenario.

G19G20
07-25-2012, 07:04
That may be the more likely scenario.

USPS doesn't ship ammo already so that's already taken care of. Congress could invoke the commerce clause to forbid private shippers like UPS and Fedex from knowingly shipping ammo, at least across state lines.

Then people wonder why someone buys large amounts of ammo. Obviously it's becoming more valuable every day while the dollars used to purchase it become less valuable. Ammo is quickly becoming a very sound investment.

kirgi08
07-25-2012, 09:00
tagged.

FFR Spyder GT
07-25-2012, 11:31
Wow!

There sure are a lot of gun newbies on GT!

It wasn't that long ago that you had to have an FFL before you could mail-order ammo. They only place you could buy ammo was through a dealer like WalMart, KMart or a LGS.

It would suck if the law was changed back.

ModGlock17
07-26-2012, 16:24
Man -- when I buy four bricks of .22 LR ammo, I must get the wires smokin'... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/mother_goose/MG_102.gif

Don't worry. They ran out of "men in black suits" to send any to your door. They're busy hiding fast-and-furious documents and deleting emails from harddisks.

Cavalry Doc
07-26-2012, 17:00
Hmmmm, what's a guy to do?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/FirstBatch.jpg

Other than replace that puny "free with a book" lee press with a dillon 650?

JFrame
07-26-2012, 17:08
Don't worry. They ran out of "men in black suits" to send any to your door. They're busy hiding fast-and-furious documents and deleting emails from harddisks.

Hmmm...Yet another "unintended consequence" from that abomination called Fast & Furious, it would seem... :whistling:

ModGlock17
07-26-2012, 19:22
Hmmmm, what's a guy to do?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/FirstBatch.jpg

Other than replace that puny "free with a book" lee press with a dillon 650?

I knew there's something really good about you ! Love that Longhorn mat. I remember the days when Earl Campbell moved the pile of humanity down the field.

JFrame
07-26-2012, 19:59
I knew there's something really good about you ! Love that Longhorn mat. I remember the days when Earl Campbell moved the pile of humanity down the field.

Ah...Earl Campbell...Back in the day, the only backs who could never LOSE yardage on a running play in Strat-o-Matic football were Campbell and Jim Brown (that was prolly the 1979 or 1980 edition -- Brown's stats were for one of the "classic" teams)... :cool:

G19G20
07-31-2012, 02:08

Called it. New leg:

"It requires ammunition buyers who are not licensed dealers to present photo identification at the time of purchase, effectively banning the online or mail order purchase of ammo by regular civilians."

NBT
07-31-2012, 05:07
Sadly politically positioned outfit's like this add insult to injury... shove the CO incident out there....and Gov't typical "shotgun affect policies" that don't actually fix the problem...and were headed backwards. Political year, so I'm pretty sure if these guy's can dance around it until after Nov...they will. Just a guess though...anything is possible.
The Huff = Fish Paper.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/obama-gun-laws-online-ammunition_n_1720122.html?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-nb|dl3|sec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D186181

cowboy1964
07-31-2012, 11:27
I believe the Tucson nutjob walked into Walmart and bought his. So banning online sales won't stop crap and they know it.

drip drip drip...

Kablam
07-31-2012, 14:57
Congress outlawed tobacco sales via the internet and phone by outlawing the shipping of the products instead of outlawing the sale itself.

No they didn't. Do you have to make things up so you can sound as negative as possible?

GlockinNJ
07-31-2012, 15:24

I'm flagged for sure.

G19G20
07-31-2012, 17:08
No they didn't. Do you have to make things up so you can sound as negative as possible?

You did research to verify before you spouted off, right?

http://www.lung.org/about-us/our-impact/top-stories/president-obama-signs-law.html

(April 1, 2010)—
On March 31st, President Obama signed the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, legislation to regulate the sale of tobacco products over the Internet and through the mail.

Require all federal, state, and local taxes on tobacco products be paid and documented
Ban the delivery of tobacco products through the U.S. Postal Service
Require age verification upon both the purchasing and delivery of tobacco products
Authorize greater penalties and provide better enforcement tools for state law enforcement

It is illegal to mail tobacco products, just as I stated in the previous post. I should know. I used to buy smokes online from a NY indian reservation for a fraction of the cost of local store prices. Congress outlawed the shipping of those cigarettes in 2010 and I can no longer purchase cigarettes online or by phone. Same applies to loose tobacco, can snuff, etc. Cigars are the only tobacco product that was left unaffected iirc. This is the same method as the online ammo bill. Face to face with ID only, no shipping.

pizza
07-31-2012, 17:13
If they ban Internet ammo then I'm stocking up. I generally buy practice ammo at WalMart but carry ammo I get all online. None of the shops I go to carry premium carry ammo (HST, Gold Dot, etc.) in 50 round boxes. It's all the little BS overpriced 20 round boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

concretefuzzynuts
07-31-2012, 17:15
My ups guy will finally get a break.

What can brown do for you?

Kablam
07-31-2012, 17:32
You did research to verify before you spouted off, right?

http://www.lung.org/about-us/our-impact/top-stories/president-obama-signs-law.html

It is illegal to mail tobacco products, just as I stated in the previous post. I should know. I used to buy smokes online from a NY indian reservation for a fraction of the cost of local store prices. Congress outlawed the shipping of those cigarettes in 2010 and I can no longer purchase cigarettes online or by phone. Same applies to loose tobacco, can snuff, etc. Cigars are the only tobacco product that was left unaffected iirc. This is the same method as the online ammo bill. Face to face with ID only, no shipping.

I buy cigars on-line every week or two. So, no I didin't do research, but I received an order of cigars today, so the emiprical evidence is what I shall go with. I think cigars are "tobacco products."

I now see that you were referring to cigarettes, not tobacco products as you stated. I apologize for not reading this post before I responded to your previous post. :-) Just kidding. Mis-communication there. Sorry.

G19G20
07-31-2012, 21:06
I buy cigars on-line every week or two. So, no I didin't do research, but I received an order of cigars today, so the emiprical evidence is what I shall go with. I think cigars are "tobacco products."

I now see that you were referring to cigarettes, not tobacco products as you stated. I apologize for not reading this post before I responded to your previous post. :-) Just kidding. Mis-communication there. Sorry.

Actually, the ban covers every tobacco product except cigars, not just cigarettes, so consider yourself lucky to be the exception. It's all good though. Would have rather you just asked for a source link. Saves a lot of unnecessary acrimony.

So yeah, Congress is just following the same playbook with ammo that they already did with tobacco. I'm sure there will be more examples coming.

Kablam
08-01-2012, 09:26
I understand your point completely and tend to agree. I parsed your statement. I knew about the internet cigarette ban and all. I apologize that I sea lawyered your post.

QNman
08-04-2012, 08:29
Called it. New leg:

"It requires ammunition buyers who are not licensed dealers to present photo identification at the time of purchase, effectively banning the online or mail order purchase of ammo by regular civilians."

Of course, this wouldn't have had any effect whatsoever in any of the cases cited, since none of the perps had records before they went cuckoo, but that never stopped Congress from passing "feel good" laws before...

JFrame
08-04-2012, 08:34
Of course, this wouldn't have had any effect whatsoever in any of the cases cited, since none of the perps had records before they went cuckoo, but that never stopped Congress from passing "feel good" laws before...

It's the same mindset that has given us Homeland Security in general, and the TSA in particular -- additional layers of profound uselessness.

ModGlock17
08-05-2012, 05:59
..... but that never stopped Congress from passing "feel good" laws before...

Prohibition 18th Amendment must have been one, that outlawed illegal alcohol. It made bootleggers rich, like the Kennedys. It created an underground and illegal economy that involved many "officials"... in the government itself. And then the 21st Amendment had to repeal the 18th.

It has been shown over the course of human history that government can not force a huge population to do what they don't want to do.

Population stays, Government comes and goes.

The problem with government is that it got lead by arrogant individuals who think they can walk on water, just because they got elected. Then they execute their agenda, and forget the people who put them there.

Required Healthcare will have the same fate as Prohibition, and so will the other lesser known controls that Government had put in place. It only happens if you fight.

It's ironic that it is the Government who wants to take away people's freedom, not a foreign entity.

QNman
08-05-2012, 09:14
It's the same mindset that has given us Homeland Security in general, and the TSA in particular -- additional layers of profound uselessness.

Yup; sure is.