P220R made it home. Needs some attention, though [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : P220R made it home. Needs some attention, though

Beanie-Bean
07-24-2012, 09:22
Picked up the P220R yesterday (S/N G345 xxx) and took it apart, only to find that the front site moves freely if you bump it just a little. So, that was a bummer, but didn't stop me from doing some research to find out what else would need to be upgraded/replaced on it. The old, sticky Hogue grips were definitely on the list, too.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SIG/35dcf48e.jpg

Called SIG for parts this morning, and here's what on its way to the mailbox:

Recoil Spring
Std. Grip Plates, screws, washers
SIGLites
Takedown Lever

Thankfully, I was able to take advantage of the 20% discount and free shipping on the last day of that special!

I was thinking about getting the sights installed at one of the local shops, but since the SIGs are multiplying like rabbits in the safe, I will probably go order the MGW site tool from Brownells.

The one good tidbit of information from the SIG guy was that the E2 grip kit will be available for the P220 later this fall. I asked if I could just order the E2 grips, and that's when he told me about the new kit.

Sort of confused about this. The slide has "Exeter, NH" on on one side, but "Made in Germany" on the other. The serial numbers are also only on the frame. Nothing on the barrel or slide.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SIG/0481daec.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SIG/e2e8000f.jpg

That dang front sight...:crying: I'll wait until all the new parts have come in before taking her out for a spin.

fnfalman
07-24-2012, 09:39
Looks like this gun might be a hybrid: American frame and German slide.

SigFTW
07-24-2012, 10:13
Still a great Sig!!

Based on the SN it should be around a 2003 model.

Let us know the range report! :thumbsup:

Beanie-Bean
07-24-2012, 12:25
Still a great Sig!!

Based on the SN it should be around a 2003 model.

Let us know the range report! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the date info, Dave. Just have to get it in running order, and I'll post the range report. I like .45, and I'm sure that it'll be just fine.

Beanie-Bean
07-24-2012, 12:27

That's fine by me. The haters can only hate it half as much as an all-American model now :)

SigFTW
07-24-2012, 12:28
That's fine by me. The haters can only hate it half as much as an all-American model now :)
:rofl::rofl:

dnuggett
07-24-2012, 12:36

Not necessarily. European guns imported to the US have the city and state of the US subsidiary (importer) stamped. The serial number on the frame will tell you US vs. German made. I only know how to tell on 226s-U vs UU. Not sure on the 220s.

fnfalman
07-24-2012, 12:43
Not necessarily. European guns imported to the US have the city and state of the US subsidiary (importer) stamped. The serial number on the frame will tell you US vs. German made. I only know how to tell on 226s-U vs UU. Not sure on the 220s.

The proof stamps and date stamps on the bottom of the frame closer to the muzzle will tell you if it's German made or not. US guns won't have the date stamp and obviously no proof stamp either.

dnuggett
07-24-2012, 12:57
The proof stamps and date stamps on the bottom of the frame closer to the muzzle will tell you if it's German made or not. US guns won't have the date stamp and obviously no proof stamp either.

The proof marks are on the slide not the frame, but I know what you are trying to say. I missed the part that said there were no proof marks, he just said serial numbers. OP- I assume there are no proof marks as well?

Beanie-Bean
07-24-2012, 13:51
The proof marks are on the slide not the frame, but I know what you are trying to say. I missed the part that said there were no proof marks, he just said serial numbers. OP- I assume there are no proof marks as well?

Nope, no proof marks--clean as a whistle down there.

dnuggett
07-24-2012, 14:42
Nope, no proof marks--clean as a whistle down there.

Yeah you have a mutt then. But it's a good mutt. I shoot a 226 Combat that is the reverse of yours- German frame and US slide. Rock solid and as shoots as accurate as I'll ever be. Congrats!

TxGlock9
07-24-2012, 15:12
Woot woot Mike!

ca survivor
07-25-2012, 07:12
why are you replacing the take down lever ?

Beanie-Bean
07-25-2012, 12:08
why are you replacing the take down lever ?

I want the newer style lever with a bit more meat to it. I use it as a reference point for my LH thumb.

Plus, I'm going to be taking the while thing apart to clean it and replace the springs.

Bruce M
07-25-2012, 16:18
That's fine by me. The haters can only hate it half as much as an all-American model now :):rofl::rofl:

Enjoy your P220!

ca survivor
07-25-2012, 19:11
I want the newer style lever with a bit more meat to it. I use it as a reference point for my LH thumb.

Plus, I'm going to be taking the while thing apart to clean it and replace the springs.
save it when you take it out, some Sig owners are looking for and paying more for that style (old style) don't know about laying your thumb there, it might disassemble under recoil :rofl:

NEOH212
07-30-2012, 23:10
Don't worry. It will clean up just fine and will be a great shooter.

The 220 always is!

Congratulations!

:cool:

bac1023
07-30-2012, 23:33
Congrats! :cool:

southernshooter
07-31-2012, 02:36
I like my old sticky finger groove hogues.

Beanie-Bean
07-31-2012, 08:11
Thanks, guys and gals! I'll post the results of the finished project when the parts get here. I've already received the sight pusher and roll pin punches/holders from Brownells and am eagerly awaiting the package from Exeter/Epping.

I would probably not mind the old sticky Hogues, southernshooter, but they didn't get sticky from my hands :supergrin: I'll have 'em on standby if the stock grips aren't quite what I need.

Beanie-Bean
07-31-2012, 18:35
FedEx guy rang the bell today, and the package with the new parts finally made it here. I've decided to just leave the "old" takedown lever in, and will keep the other one as a spare.

Thank goodness for the MGW sight pusher:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SIG/IMG_8825.jpg

It did clean up very nicely. I had to swap out the trigger bar spring in order for the trigger to reset properly under the new grips. It had the old style without the loop in it previously.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SIG/IMG_8822.jpg

I'll zero in the sights when I take it out to the range, but I am very happy with how this one turned out.

Highspeedlane
07-31-2012, 18:43
Looks good. It's marked up the same as mine with respect to the no proofs and slide markings. Good shooter, enjoy.