What rifle for Home Denfense??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What rifle for Home Denfense???

Coffee Dog
07-24-2012, 11:33
Hello I am looking into an AR- rifle for home defense!
I would like opinions on what rifle that would be fairly short in lenght but have at least an 18 inch barrel. My training in the Marine Corp was with a rifle and that's what I am comforable shooting!
Thank-you:wavePlease recommend a brand that is reliable!

07-24-2012, 11:38
Hello I am looking into a rifle for home defense!
I would like opinions on what rifle that would be fairly short in lenght but have at least an 18 inch barrel. My training in the Marine Corp was with a rifle and that's what I am comforable shooting!
Thank-you:wavey:
Well, you have your answer right there. Get the M4gery, 14.5 inch barrel w/ a permanent FH, and avoid the NFA hassle.:wavey:

07-24-2012, 11:39
Btw, thank you for your service. :patriot:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 11:45
Years ago the answer was simple, an M-1 carbine.

There is a whole lot to be said, and I am NOT an M-4 fan, if you have training already to sticking with what you know.

If you want something "different" and don't want to get in to the "Classic M-1 carbine" world. look at the Ruger Mini-14, especially the 16" barreled "tactical" models.

I would toss the AK in there but, if you are comfortable with the vertical grip thing stick to the M-4 and something like Hornaday "TAP" ammo for indoor use. That ammo alone is a good reason for sticking with the .223/5.56

Coffee Dog
07-24-2012, 12:33
Well, you have your answer right there. Get the M4gery, 14.5 inch barrel w/ a permanent FH, and avoid the NFA hassle.:wavey:

Thank-you for your response!
The state I live in requires a barrell lenght of mininum of 16 inches!:wavey:

Bilbo Bagins
07-24-2012, 13:10
Years ago the answer was simple, an M-1 carbine.

There is a whole lot to be said, and I am NOT an M-4 fan, if you have training already to sticking with what you know.

If you want something "different" and don't want to get in to the "Classic M-1 carbine" world. look at the Ruger Mini-14, especially the 16" barreled "tactical" models.

I would toss the AK in there but, if you are comfortable with the vertical grip thing stick to the M-4 and something like Hornaday "TAP" ammo for indoor use. That ammo alone is a good reason for sticking with the .223/5.56

I would toss out anything throwing out 7.62x39 rounds due to overpenetration, unless your in a real rural location.

Bren
07-24-2012, 13:18

Or, even better, get it with a standard 16" barrel, since the only reason for the short barrel and permanent flash suppressor is to make it the same length as a standard barrelled M4 (but you still lose a couple of inches of barrel length). If you want a cool looking CAR-15 style flash suppressor, you can get one that slips over a 16" barrel and leaves it the same length it was before:
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/images/BL-20A.jpg

Bren
07-24-2012, 13:20
Thank-you for your response!
The state I live in requires a barrell lenght of mininum of 18 inches!:wavey:

Never heard of that. What state?

ghostrider88
07-24-2012, 13:20
I think ruger makes a 18 inch mini 14 about half the price of an ar ,for hd this should do the job

Minnow
07-24-2012, 13:23
What state requires atleast an 18" barrel for rifles? Are you sure your not looking at shotgun minimum barrel lengths?

Coffee Dog
07-24-2012, 13:30
Never heard of that. What state?

My great state of New Jersey!:eagle:

countrygun
07-24-2012, 13:35
I would toss out anything throwing out 7.62x39 rounds due to overpenetration, unless your in a real rural location.

Exactly my point.

The ammo possibilities and performance just don't favor the 7.62x39

M2 Carbine
07-24-2012, 13:38
My HD could range anywhere from inside the house to 40-50 yards outside, so my HD choice is the AR.

I like the M4 type AR's. Have several of them.

To make them 24 hour day dark defense guns I equip them with Red Dot sights and Streamlight TLR-2 laser/lights.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/M4withStreamlight.jpg

Coffee Dog
07-24-2012, 13:41

I just checked with our local police dept. and the barrell lenght has to be at least 16 inches!:wavey:

M2 Carbine
07-24-2012, 13:41
Really? That's stupid, but what gun laws aren't.

Well just get a 18 inch barrel AR.
I have a couple long barrel AR's but I like the short barrel better.

Minnow
07-24-2012, 13:44
I just checked with our local police dept. and the barrell lenght has to be at least 16 inches!:wavey:

I thought that sounded odd.
I'd get any quality 16" barreled AR-15. A Colt 6920 sounds like a good place to start.

Bren
07-24-2012, 13:57

That explains everything. Can you even have AR's there? I'm sure there are many 18" barrelled models out there, if you don't want to go to a standard 20" A2.

HKLovingIT
07-24-2012, 15:16
Hop the fence and defect when the guards aren't watching. I have heard that PA accepts all political refugees from the People's Republics of New Jersey, New York and Maryland.

I have a S&W M&P 15. I like it just fine and it has not had any issues even with less than stellar maintenance. That said for a bit more or depending on model, about the same, you could get a Colt. My next will be a Colt. I'm no expert but I've been happy with my S&W and it seems lots are happy with Colt.

Bob Hafler
07-24-2012, 15:57
New Mini 14 should do the trick.

K.Kiser
07-24-2012, 17:38
Anything that reliably shoots the .223 cartridge should be plenty, but I've also seen some semi-auto carbine "Camp" 9mm's and such for sale on this board which would also be great for HD distances... Heck, even a lever action that shoots 38 special/357 mag, or a .44 mag lever gun that you could download with .44 specials would work great also...

Anything that is reliable, easy to use, handily sized, and shoots at least a handgun powered cartridge up to the .223 power level should work just fine..

Sgt_Gold
07-24-2012, 18:45
16" is the minimum length you need to avoid having to SBR your rifle with the ATF. NJ does not allow SBR's, so the minimum length for a rifle barrel is 16". NY is the same way.

Since you can't have a colapsable stock in the PRNJ, I would recommend that you either buy a ban compliant rifle from Colt, or put one together yourself. You can get assembeled uppers from a number of sources, and if you can push pins you can build your own lower.

Companies that I would buy from are Bravo Company, Daniel Defence, Palmetto State Armory. All these companies assemble their uppers from high quality parts and they assemble them correctly. The gas keys are staked and the barrels are correctly torqued. I'mnot going to bash othr by name, but there are a lot of companies out there selling on price point alone, and some of their stuff just isn't assembeled with a nod to QA\QC.

Since you can't have a collapsible stock you have a few choices. You can pin the standard M4 stock in whatever position suits you. Ace makes stocks in different lenghts if you don't want to go the pinned route. Or you could just go with an A1 or A2 stock.

GLOCK17DB9
07-24-2012, 19:05
This!http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=225938&d=1340069786

Deaf Smith
07-24-2012, 19:06
I just stick with a GI M1 Carbine.

Low blast, low flash, almost no kick, DPX or Winchester JHPs. Hits like a .357 magnum out to 100 yards.

AND, most importantly for home defense, the sights are just maybe an inch above the bore. So there is no aim low or high to compensate for the higher sight plane of a AR or AK. If I need a precision head shot all I have to do is aim right were I want the bullet to go. And after all, home defense means close range shots.

Deaf

xXGearheadXx
07-24-2012, 19:12

Well you blew my response to pieces with that...you should join us in the south.

That being said, a bullpup style rifle, even though i haven't found one i like, may suit you well.

Minnow
07-24-2012, 19:40
If you guys are under restrictions similar to the assault rifle ban era, then I would go with one of the neutered Colt's with a Ace skeleton stock. Apparently you can have a 16" rifle barrel, so you can forgo the idea of the 18" tube unless you want something longer.
If that was the case I'd just go with a 20" M-16A4 type rifle, minus the bayonet lug and flash suppressor.

Sgt_Gold
07-26-2012, 16:06

Deaf

The M1 Carbine is illegal to own in NJ.:crying:

Deaf Smith
07-26-2012, 17:15
The M1 Carbine is illegal to own in NJ.:crying:

Ok then you have to think about something that has some of it's characteristics but still legal in NJ.

Is the M1 Carbine itself illegal or just the 15 shot mags?

It the gun itself then look for something about it's size and has the sights close to the barrel. Say a Ruger .44 magnum simi-auto or the Remington pump .308 carbine.

Deaf

mac9990
07-26-2012, 21:23

Low blast, low flash, almost no kick, DPX or Winchester JHPs. Hits like a .357 magnum out to 100 yards.

AND, most importantly for home defense, the sights are just maybe an inch above the bore. So there is no aim low or high to compensate for the higher sight plane of a AR or AK. If I need a precision head shot all I have to do is aim right were I want the bullet to go. And after all, home defense means close range shots.

Deaf

Roger that!

Bob Hafler
07-27-2012, 06:33
For inside HD I use the 20Ga Mossberg Crusier with #3 buck.
Now if I should need to reach out and touch someone at a greater distance. I use either the Mini 14, Marlin 30/30,or the SKS or perhaps the M1 Garand or even the Mosin Nagant. Zombies that attack in the middle of the night get the serious end of a 10/22. No sense using good ammo on some mushy headed zoombie. :supergrin: Which ever one feels right at the time that I need to get the job done. For inside the house in the middle of the night when your half asleep. IMO nothing beats a shotty with a light/laser light combo on the end. I think there's a better chance of hitting your target and less chance of a high speed projectal of some significant weight penetrating the walls should you miss. As always JMO.

Sgt_Gold
07-27-2012, 20:41
Is the M1 Carbine itself illegal or just the 15 shot mags?

The M1 carbine is listed by name as an 'assault weapon' in the NJ law. As such the 'evil features' don't play into the decsion. You can't nuter anything to make it ban compliant.

You might be able to get an AR pistol caliber carbine in 9mm or 357 Sig up to 30 Carbine performance. You might even be able to build an AR in 30 Carbine, but I'd stick to 5.56 just for simplicity sake.

Tallahassee
07-27-2012, 21:06
So you can have an AR in New Jersey but not an M1 Carbine?

That's complete nonsense. :upeyes:

Sharkey
07-27-2012, 21:13
I suggest the M1 carbine too. Light and handy.
Doesn't it put out the same energy as a 357mag from that length? It doesn't look evil so your neighbors won't drop a dime on you to the NYPD if you live near Rutgers. :)

Personally, I'd just move.

alexanderg23
07-27-2012, 21:19
Take $1500 into a good gunshop buy what you like and spend the rest on mags and ammo.

SpeedyG17
07-27-2012, 22:03
Another vote for the Mini 14. Very versatile and reliable.