"Instructors" belt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Instructors" belt?

Eric2340
07-24-2012, 12:22
I keep seeing everyone go ga-ga over these.

What's the big ta-do over "Instructor's" belts like this one ?? -

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2476&parent=142

Thanks -

Beretta92guy
07-24-2012, 12:25
One reason: they WORK!!!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CharlestonG26
07-24-2012, 12:30
I keep seeing everyone go ga-ga over these.What's the big ta-do over "Instructor's" belts like this one ??

I found that the 'big ta-do' is the simple fact that it is a highly durable, effective gun belt. Only downside is its 'tactical' appearance. For some, this is an attribute.

Eric2340
07-24-2012, 12:34
Looks like they are offered in 3 thicknesses/weights -

Low - 3 stitch
Med - 5 stitch
High - Poly lined

I'm leaning towards the low for everyday wear w/o a holster / holstered weapon (for wear at work w/ no CCW), but I thinking for when I do carry, the Med weight might be better?

Thoughts?..........................

emtjr928
07-24-2012, 12:45
I will receive a lined one Fri. Wanted the extra stiffness. Hope I chose right.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CAcop
07-24-2012, 13:21
IIRC it was a FBI thing along with 5.11 pants a decade or so ago.

eracer
07-24-2012, 13:26
I've had my titanium instructor belt for years, and I wear it with everything but dress clothes. I love it for a lot of reasons, including the fact that it doesn't slip out of the belt loops when my pants are unbuttoned...:supergrin:

Also, the extra velcro loop area is perfect for hanging my golf glove when I'm on the green.

The velcro wore out and they refurbished it for free. Nothing else is even close to wearing out. I carry my cell phone, flashlight, and speedloader pouch on it every day.

TxGlock9
07-24-2012, 15:17
Looks like they are offered in 3 thicknesses/weights -

Low - 3 stitch
Med - 5 stitch
High - Poly lined

I'm leaning towards the low for everyday wear w/o a holster / holstered weapon (for wear at work w/ no CCW), but I thinking for when I do carry, the Med weight might be better?

Thoughts?..........................
For me it comes down to comfort. The stiffest is going to be less comfortable but that holster is going to be right up against yah with no flex. I like that as my draw will be more consistent everytime. I also have never worry about it shifting out or in. I think you should go with medium with what you said aka 5-stitch...

I use poly lined but in 5.11. It's called Operator in 1.75inch.

CBennett
07-24-2012, 15:21
I found that the 'big ta-do' is the simple fact that it is a highly durable, effective gun belt. Only downside is its 'tactical' appearance. For some, this is an attribute.

^ this plus if you have true need you can use it for emergency Repelling!@

only thing I can say is I love mine I got the Greenish colored one. Get the RIGHT size and a bit bigger just in case lol..it has a lot of adjustment...but im just about out of space on mine as ive gained a bit of weight(which for me is a GOOD thing) and I may have to buy a new one here as I didnt leave a lot of room for growth :( if I had a extra 2" of velcro space id be great...as it is now ive only got about 1/2" actually attached to the velcro part with some holsters...Has not come lose or anything but id love it to have about 2" more length..

glock2740
07-24-2012, 15:41
My 5 stitch shipped today per Wilderness. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2012, 17:12
The 5-stitch is amazing!

NEOH212
07-25-2012, 02:47
One reason: they WORK!!!!

They do work well. I use one made by Galco for range work but it's not for every day carry. It can be used for that but it's awkward if you have to take it on and off often.

Maine1
07-25-2012, 02:56
the 5 stitch turns larger guns from safe queens to EDC guns.

Spiffums
07-25-2012, 06:02
The next one I get I'm going to try for the full velcro coverage to use with my comp gun set up.

faawrenchbndr
07-25-2012, 06:18
They do work well. I use one made by Galco for range work but it's not for every day carry. It can be used for that but it's awkward if you have to take it on and off often.

Gotta disagree........can not understand this statement. :dunno:
I feel the Wilderness belt is quicker than a standard belt & buckle.
Also more adjustable than a standard.

Bilbo Bagins
07-25-2012, 07:46

Its funny because before they had "instructor belts" they were called smoke jumper belts. All it is some Kevlar webbing and a parachute harness

If you get an imported one for $15, a good US made one for around $30 to $40.

But use the word "Tactical instructor belt" instead of smokejumper/Rigger belt and cheapen the webbing and all of the sudden they sell for $40 to $60 :rofl:

I like them because I use them for multi day hiking and camping where a leather belt would get screwed up, and cotton cloth would get moldy and ruined. However I hate wearing it because too many mall ninja sheep dogs are using them these days.

sfguard
07-25-2012, 08:59
I got one similar to that when I was in the military a few years ago. Mine is a little different but similar. I got it because it was hands down better than what I was issued. In fact I have it on right now. Still looks like new even. I like it

bruzer
07-25-2012, 09:14
Because it is blackberry season here in the Pacific Northwest. An old milk jug connected to the Instructor buckle with a D-Ring and "I'm a pick'n" and when I'm eating blackberry cobbler, I'm a grin'n". Then it's off to the mall to serve and protect!!! Got me the poly lined because a gallon of blackberries is heeavy!
Mike

itstime
07-25-2012, 09:44
Anyone ever compare or have both a Wilderness and Spec Ops rigger? I use and love the Spec Ops. Are the Wilderness better?

Diesel McBadass
07-25-2012, 10:53
i use my uniform riggers belt, i like it. Made by blackhawk. Picked it up in the echange, sturdy, confortable, versatile

mad.gunsmith
07-25-2012, 20:27
is really good I use it every day with jeans
I have Galco leather SB3 AND SB2 for when I need to dress up

glock2740
07-25-2012, 20:47
the 5 stitch turns larger guns from safe queens to EDC guns.
This should be their slogan. :cool: :thumbsup:

drizzle
07-26-2012, 07:53
I have both the 5.11 Trainer's and Operator's belt (bought the Operator first). The Op is a little large for EDC and comfort, but good for range trips. The Trainer is great for everyday wear, I've worn mine daily for a few years now, nice that the velcro offers infinite adjustment, depending on how large lunch was, or how large your carry gun is. The plastic insert in both keeps them in good carry shape, and not folding over when carrying OWB.

mingaa
07-26-2012, 08:03
Yep - stiff, good price point, highly adjustable (Velcro). Even Uncle Mike makes a good one and mine serves for all casual dress and competition - wouldn't be without one.

Yankee2718
07-26-2012, 08:17
I have a 5.11 version. The belt is sturdy, stiff, and easily holds whatever gear I want to hang off of it, but I find the buckle can sometimes be uncomfortable. My everyday use belt is a Comp-Tac leather belt.

fnfalman
07-26-2012, 10:18
I'll stick with my leather belts from Milt Sparks and Seth's Gun Leathres.

There's nothing like the crack of a good leather belt across the ass cheeks.

SouthpawG26
07-26-2012, 10:27
The thing about all these belts is to size them correctly. Dont go by your regular belt size.Best way is to run a tape measure through your belt loops with all your holster attachments. Depending mostly on whether you carry IWB, you'll typically need a belt 3-5" longer than your pants size.

TxGlock9
07-26-2012, 10:28
The thing about all these belts is to size them correctly. Dont go by your regular belt size.Best way is to run a tape measure through your belt loops with all your holster attachments. Depending mostly on whether you carry IWB, you'll typically need a belt 3-5" longer than your pants size.

This.

unit1069
07-26-2012, 13:19
I bought one for $11 from the state store that offers items made by state prison convicts. Works great.

drizzle
07-26-2012, 14:36
I'll stick with my leather belts from Milt Sparks and Seth's Gun Leathres.

There's nothing like the crack of a good leather belt across the ass cheeks.

Yours or someone elses? :whistling:

Thank you mistress, may I have another?

fnfalman
07-26-2012, 15:02
Yours or someone elses? :whistling:

Thank you mistress, may I have another?

We take turns dishing and receiving. it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Bullman
07-26-2012, 20:43
I use mine as a duty belt underbelt. It keeps my pants up and is a nice support to hold my gun belt and keepers in place.

drizzle
07-26-2012, 21:06
Don't forget a safe word.

Wonder if someone will write Fifty Shades of Uniform Gray, like Chicken Soup for the Policeman's Soul, except with S&M?

mymini40
07-27-2012, 02:29
Theyre the best!

Jason D
07-27-2012, 17:12
I have been very pleased with my Wilderness belts.