Advice on next piece of equipment to purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on next piece of equipment to purchase

1967c10
07-24-2012, 12:28
Hello all, well I recieved some gift cards for my birthday to a local store that sells reloading stuff, now i'm looking for advice. Here is what I have now, RCBS single stage, RCBS beam scale, RCBS uniflow charger, hand primer, do my trimming with the caliber specific lee trimmers, all chamfering/deburring by hand, oh and a lyman tumbler. I load a few pistol calibers, .223 and some .308. Mainly got into reloading for my .308 for long range coyote, but now have been trying to feed my other guns as well.

So basicly I am asking what I should upgrade next to make things more efficient while still making quality rounds and not breaking the bank? Not sure if I should go with say a digital scale, or maybe another press, or just spend the money on more supplies, or... Thanks everyone for your help and opinions!

labdwakin
07-24-2012, 12:34
From what you've said there... I'd get the RCBS Trim Pro manual trimmer. Be about $100 but worth every cent! If your budget is below that... digital caliper might be a good thing to have.

1967c10
07-24-2012, 12:36
From what you've said there... I'd get the RCBS Trim Pro manual trimmer. Be about $100 but worth every cent! If your budget is below that... digital caliper might be a good thing to have.

Ok great, this is exactly the kinds of ideas i'm after:cool: As far as the caliper, I am a machinist by trade so I have all the measuring equipment I need.

unclebob
07-24-2012, 13:13
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858110/hornady-lock-n-load-press-and-die-conversion-bushing-kit
Put this on the Press makes it a lot easier in changing out dies.
RCBS X sizer die.
Different trimmer. Either a Possum Hollow or one of these.
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

fredj338
07-24-2012, 13:36
If you are looking for more volume, then you need another press. No ss press is going to give you more than 100rds/hr regardless of how organized you are. So next step up would be a Lee Classic Turret or LNL progressive. That will give yo ua useable volume of ammo for not too much invested.

Colorado4Wheel
07-24-2012, 13:54
That is what I was thinking. I would bank that money and save for another press. Assuming you shoot pistol in any significant quantity.

I know it's a Gift Cert. Just use it the next time you need components (that you would have bough anyway) and then open a account and deposit the same amount of money into that account.

DoctaGlockta
07-24-2012, 14:02
As mentioned above your next chapter in reloading needs to include a progressive press.

Good luck.

F106 Fan
07-24-2012, 14:03
So basicly I am asking what I should upgrade next to make things more efficient while still making quality rounds and not breaking the bank? Not sure if I should go with say a digital scale, or maybe another press, or just spend the money on more supplies, or... Thanks everyone for your help and opinions!

Where do you want to go with shooting and reloading? I don't see how anyone can point you in a particular direction if you don't mention where you want to go.

It seems you load several calibers but you didn't mention anything about volume or preference. The answer might be different if you wanted to triple your volume of pistol ammo in an effort to become a competition shooter.

Where are you headed?

Richard

1967c10
07-24-2012, 18:19
Where do you want to go with shooting and reloading? I don't see how anyone can point you in a particular direction if you don't mention where you want to go.

It seems you load several calibers but you didn't mention anything about volume or preference. The answer might be different if you wanted to triple your volume of pistol ammo in an effort to become a competition shooter.

Where are you headed?

Richard

Ok, hopefully this helps everyone with the ideas that they give. I by no means am a competitive, or competition type shooter. The only hunting with a gun that I do is with the 308for Coyote, otherwise I hunt with a bow. Basicly I am a casual shooter that goes to the range once or twice a month shoots 3-500 rounds total from all the calibers I own each time out. I mainly got into reloading for quality rifle rounds, then just enjoyed doing it so much that I just started doing it for the pistols as well. Just like to reload as a hobby make some nice ammo with the satisfaction that I made it, maybe attempt to save some money along the way, maybe ;)

F106 Fan
07-24-2012, 19:09
Making 600-1000 rounds per month spread over several calibers on a single stage press has to be a real chore.

At some point you might want to consider upgrading your press. There are a lot of choices but as you evaluate them, be sure to include the caliber conversion costs.

A lot of folks around here will steer you toward the Lee Classic Turret (LCT) at Kempf's.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

The reason is that this particular kit doesn't include the Lee Scale which, around here, is not highly regarded.

Disclaimer: I have never even seen one of these presses. I'm pretty much stuck in the Dillon camp (with a few exceptions like my new Redding T7 and a couple of old RCBS single stage presses).

There are some 'stickies' at the top of the forum that make good reading.

At even half your consumption, some kind of press upgrade starts to make a lot of sense.

Richard

Fwdftw
07-24-2012, 19:14
im a LCT user and ill say this. Skip it. Go progressive. The LCT is fine and dandy.. but i want a 650 asap

F106 Fan
07-24-2012, 19:27
im a LCT user and ill say this. Skip it. Go progressive. The LCT is fine and dandy.. but i want a 650 asap

I totally agree. In fact, I would recommend skipping right to the 550 or 650 with the 650 getting the nod for higher volume shooters.

Although the LCT is highly regarded, it still takes 4 handle strokes to produce a single loaded round. Faster than a single stage but nowhere near the speed of a good progressive and not in the same universe with something like a 650 and case feeder.

But sometimes, money matters. That XL650 with case feeder and the usual goodies runs right at $1000.

Richard

Fwdftw
07-24-2012, 20:04
But sometimes, money matters. That XL650 with case feeder and the usual goodies runs right at $1000.

Richard

hence why still use the lct lol.

Colorado4Wheel
07-24-2012, 22:29
Many of the people get talked out of a Single Stage into a LCT. It's a little harder to talk them out of a SS into a 650. It's just part of the natural progression.

fredj338
07-25-2012, 12:08

Unless you are shooting over 1000rds a month, you don't need a 650 IMO. The LCT would be fine for the OP's 500rds of mixed calibers a month. Tearing down & setting up a 650 for 40-60 rds of diff calibers every month is just not how I want to spend my time. A LCT sounds perfect. A 550B is always a good choice for the mutliple caliber reloader. No case feeder to deal with. The LNL would also be fine, again, no case feeder to keep things simple. A 650 is a production machine IMO, made to load 1000s of rounds a month of one or two calibers in the same primer size. Although UB likes to use the small primer punch for everything & I have to admit to not having tried that yet. I was happy loading everything on my 550B for 20+yrs & would sell the 650 before selling the 550B.

DoctaGlockta
07-25-2012, 12:28
OP I went from a SS to and LNL-AP.

Inexpensive caliber changes and sometimes you get free bullets with purchase too.

F106 Fan
07-25-2012, 12:34
Many of the people get talked out of a Single Stage into a LCT. It's a little harder to talk them out of a SS into a 650. It's just part of the natural progression.

I understand the progression, for .45 ACP mine was similar:
RCBS Single Stage -> Ponsness Warren Turret -> Dillon 450 -> Dillon 550 -> RCBS Green Machine -> Dillon 1050

Even if the 1050 were available way back when, I wouldn't have jumped for it. It's a huge leap! Stopping at the 650 is adequate as long as cases don't need to have the primer pocket swaged.

There's a pretty large leap between the LCT and the Dillon 550B.

The only suggestion I have is that new reloaders take a realistic view of calibers vs volume and consider where they want to go with shooting and reloading. I do understand that the LCT is quite economical but I also believe it is quite slow. It always comes down to a tradeoff between equipment cost and speed.

Richard

1967c10
07-25-2012, 23:17
Thanks everyone for the replys so far! Lots of good ideas for me now, I am so glad that the LCT press was brought to my attention, looks like a real nice set up for the money! I guess i'll just have to wait and see what I can dig up with my gift cards a the store here locally, but if they do not have one of those presses I may just have to order one as well. Thanks again, if any more ideas don't be afriad to chime in, otherwise i'll update on what I found, thanks!

1967c10
07-27-2012, 18:21
Well, I ended up going a bit over what my gift cards were valued at, but I also had an unrelated item that I returned, so that helped a little as well. As many of you recommended, I did pick up a LCT press(pretty excited to see how this works), along with about 500 bullets, a brick of primers, and a pound of unique. Really wanted the trimmer mentioned by labdwakin but no more funds at this point, should be good for a little while anyway. Thanks again everyone, and expect a few questions along the way with this LCT.

PsychoKnight
07-31-2012, 13:02
(delete)

Fwdftw
07-31-2012, 18:51
Did you get the lct off kemfs or the ****ty one with no primer catch ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1967c10
08-05-2012, 05:51
Did you get the lct off kemfs or the ****ty one with no primer catch ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Actually bought it local, it has the primer catch on it. First chance to mess around with it last night and seems to be pretty slick!

RustyFN
08-05-2012, 09:01
Actually bought it local, it has the primer catch on it. First chance to mess around with it last night and seems to be pretty slick!

It is a slick press. In my opinion it the perfect press for somebody that wants to load 100 rounds each of a few different calibers. I have had mine for six years and am still very happy with it. I bought a Dillon 550 to speed up a couple of calibers and it is a very nice press but I still use the classic turret as much as the Dillon.