What If 20% of Adults in That Theater Had Been Packing Iron? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What If 20% of Adults in That Theater Had Been Packing Iron?

Ruble Noon
07-24-2012, 16:56
http://teapartyeconomist.com/2012/07/23/what-if-every-adult-in-that-theater-had-been-packing-iron/

walt cowan
07-24-2012, 19:25
what if....one or more homeboys were packing heat? could it be why the shooter gave up?

cowboy1964
07-24-2012, 19:26
Forget "20%". All it would maybe have taken was ONE. But the law abiding honor "gun free zones". And get slaughtered.

Vic777
07-24-2012, 21:34
He would have gone to a "gun free zone". A Church or a School, perhaps.

stevelyn
07-24-2012, 21:43
LTC Dave Grossman had something to say about that in the second hour of Armed American Radio.

http://armedamericanradio.org/2012/07/

Kingarthurhk
07-24-2012, 21:46
The only issue I see is the less accurate and cross fire. Though, I think it would have been an amusing outcome if the guy dramatically popped out to commit this act and the majority of the theater opened up on him instead before he got a shot off.

Kind of like trying to rob a cop bar.:supergrin:

DOC44
07-24-2012, 21:53
This little s**t would have soiled his groin protection if he suddenly found himself on a two way gun range.

Doc44

chickenwing
07-25-2012, 04:10
Not sure it would of made much of a difference. This D bag had a rifle, body armor, and surprise on his side. Sure I would like to think at least one or more armed person(s) could have made a impact, but doubtful given the circumstances, don't think the outcome would of been better or worse.

This asshat is not a crazy person IMO, he planned this and was prepared, hard to stop a lone gunmen like this.

coastal4974
07-25-2012, 05:46
If the killer would have been stopped by an armed citizen, the media would have dropped the entire story within hours.

callihan_44
07-25-2012, 06:10
i believe someone would have taken him out, body armor or not you still feel the impact plus the sound and sight of returning fire may have disrupted him

series1811
07-25-2012, 06:14
The only issue I see is the less accurate and cross fire. Though, I think it would have been an amusing outcome if the guy dramatically popped out to commit this act and the majority of the theater opened up on him instead before he got a shot off.

Kind of like trying to rob a cop bar.:supergrin:

There is no way crossfire, or poorly aimed fire, from armed citizens, or police, or even gangbangers, could have caused anywhere near the death and trauma, caused by letting one shooter shoot anyone he wanted to, for as long as he wanted to.

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 06:39
Not sure it would of made much of a difference. This D bag had a rifle, body armor, and surprise on his side. Sure I would like to think at least one or more armed person(s) could have made a impact, but doubtful given the circumstances, don't think the outcome would of been better or worse.

This asshat is not a crazy person IMO, he planned this and was prepared, hard to stop a lone gunmen like this.

Even with body armor, getting shot hurts. It would have probably led to a distraction that may have had him miss some opportunities to shoot unarmed people fleeing, and maybe encouraged him to flee.

We'll never know for sure.

I think I'll keep going armed to movies, like I have for many years.

ChuteTheMall
07-25-2012, 06:55
Forget "20%". All it would maybe have taken was ONE. But the law abiding honor "gun free zones". And get slaughtered.

In this era of Travon vs Zimmerman, that one guy illegally carrying a gun would have a serious decision to make regarding his own personal survival and freedom.

It probably took too many seconds to realize that it was not a SWAT cop, not a Batman promotion, not a joke, and a real threat.

Not everyone is willing to sacrifice everything for a room full of probable liberal sheeple. I hate to admit this, but I hope I'm never asked to be a hero for a bunch of random strangers.

MARINE DIVISION TWO
07-25-2012, 06:58
We can speculate till were blue in the face But fimly beleive that causaultys would have been less ! Out of respect for the familys that lost loved ones,I WILL NOT repeat this persons name !

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 07:18
In this era of Travon vs Zimmerman, that one guy illegally carrying a gun would have a serious decision to make regarding his own personal survival and freedom.

It probably took too many seconds to realize that it was not a SWAT cop, not a Batman promotion, not a joke, and a real threat.

Not everyone is willing to sacrifice everything for a room full of probable liberal sheeple. I hate to admit this, but I hope I'm never asked to be a hero for a bunch of random strangers.

Looks like the best bet is to not patronize businesses that declare themselves as gun free zones. Pretty sure even here where guns are allowed in theaters, most won't be carrying. I don't go to movies alone, so my default position is to always shoot back, but that could change depending on the circumstances at the time.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNXKg2pJwsWinuEc74VhkuagcEOE_g1FZ0auAfrPv9vxwKTy007g

If the only theater in your community has a no guns policy, consider waiting until movies come out on blue ray, and watch them at home. Inform the theater about why you will not spend money there.

Sam Spade
07-25-2012, 07:22
He would have gone to a "gun free zone". A Church or a School, perhaps.

Nailed it.

Remember, the crime came off *his* initiative, and his planning was pretty careful, no matter how crazy. The guy who surrendered like a ***** wasn't going to pick a hard target.

DOC44
07-25-2012, 07:36
http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/no%20business%20color.jpg

I have given this card out along with an informative conversation, with some success.

Doc44

blkpag1
07-25-2012, 10:40
Nailed it.

Remember, the crime came off *his* initiative, and his planning was pretty careful, no matter how crazy. The guy who surrendered like a ***** wasn't going to pick a hard target.

Exactly! This is why just the possibility that someone might fight back would have quite possibly made him (and other cowards that commit these types of crimes) re-think his actions. Of course he might have just chosen another gun free zone as the target.

chickenwing
07-25-2012, 18:58
Even with body armor, getting shot hurts. It would have probably led to a distraction that may have had him miss some opportunities to shoot unarmed people fleeing, and maybe encouraged him to flee.

We'll never know for sure.

I think I'll keep going armed to movies, like I have for many years.

Just a bunch of maybes. I wish the mover goers were armed. But they weren't, and even if some of them were armed, it's still a big maybe on whether it would of made a difference.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, not to many people(myself included) are prepared to react or even know how to act in that type of situation. Smoke/tear gas bombs, full body armor, rifle, surprise on the shooters side in a crowded, loud, and dark movie theater, hard nut to crack.

Seeking cover and protecting your own would be the best option IMO. If you are armed and had a chance at a shot, by all means. Considering the circumstances though, luck would have to be on your side.

Regards to the bold, amen.

I don't feel right without my g31, and only go to a few places where carrying is prohibited.

R4lf
07-25-2012, 19:15
I want one of those, pass it around the places I would like to visit and carry at the same time.

volsbear
07-25-2012, 19:25
What if, what if...

Though as it turns out, it was not armor. Just a tacticool vest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 19:39
Just a bunch of maybes. I wish the mover goers were armed. But they weren't, and even if some of them were armed, it's still a big maybe on whether it would of made a difference.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, not to many people(myself included) are prepared to react or even know how to act in that type of situation. Smoke/tear gas bombs, full body armor, rifle, surprise on the shooters side in a crowded, loud, and dark movie theater, hard nut to crack.

Seeking cover and protecting your own would be the best option IMO. If you are armed and had a chance at a shot, by all means. Considering the circumstances though, luck would have to be on your side.

Regards to the bold, amen.

I don't feel right without my g31, and only go to a few places where carrying is prohibited.

Call it paranoia, call it Post Traumatic Stress, but when I sit down in a restaurant or theater, I know where every exit is, and every avenue of approach is. I sorta already know what happens when stuff hits the fan suddenly, and how I tend to react. I'm nothing too special either, there are about a million people out there that are similar, maybe more.

I simply don't spend money at places where I can't carry, period. I do have to go to a few places that are off limits for carry, and I comply due to the penalties for not complying being rather severe. I still have a few unconventional plans for those places. Like being able to repel out a third story window if I had to. http://www.skedco.com/public/Documents/Kosmo_Mout_Lifeline_Instruction.pdf

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 19:44
What if, what if...

Though as it turns out, it was not armor. Just a tacticool vest.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hadn't heard that yet, searched, and could not find a link.

Early news reports suggested it was similar to IBAS, with a throat and groin protector.

DOC44
07-25-2012, 19:54
Call it paranoia, call it Post Traumatic Stress, but when I sit down in a restaurant or theater, I know where every exit is, and every avenue of approach is. I sorta already know what happens when stuff hits the fan suddenly, and how I tend to react. I'm nothing too special either, there are about a million people out there that are similar, maybe more.

I simply don't spend money at places where I can't carry, period. I do have to go to a few places that are off limits for carry, and I comply due to the penalties for not complying being rather severe. I still have a few unconventional plans for those places. Like being able to repel out a third story window if I had to. http://www.skedco.com/public/Documents/Kosmo_Mout_Lifeline_Instruction.pdf

Agree.... aware of surroundings physical and humans. Back to wall and face the door.

Doc44

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 19:58
Agree.... aware of surroundings physical and humans. Back to wall and face the door.

Doc44

I also take a mental snap shot, in case the lights go out. Something I started doing when getting up for guard duty when sleeping in a tent with several others, was taking a mental picture of my surroundings at bedtime. I could then wake up in the middle of the night, and find my socks, boots, clothes, weapon and other gear, then head out without turning on a light. My night vision is probably better than average, but I can do that with my eyes closed.

Stang_Man
07-25-2012, 20:00
It could have helped, but no need to what-if.

Let's look at it for a second, though. It was a DARK movie theater. It was during a gunfight scene, TONS of loud sounds/noises and flashing movie screen. As soon as people realize whats going on, there is mass panic AND he's throwing out rounds fast. Then there's the smoke/tear gas or whatever he threw, and his body armor and helmet.

Could an armed movie-goer have reduced the body count? Possibly, but there was a LOT going on and anything but a highly trainer firearm's operator would have been overwelmed by the entire scenario, IMHO.

chickenwing
07-25-2012, 20:04

That's nice, you apparently have amazing situational awareness and never let your guard down for minute. Unlike the people in that movie theater. So giving them guns probably wouldn't do much. Not that I'm against it, as said before, you never know.

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 20:07
It could have helped, but no need to what-if.

Let's look at it for a second, though. It was a DARK movie theater. It was during a gunfight scene, TONS of loud sounds/noises and flashing movie screen. As soon as people realize whats going on, there is mass panic AND he's throwing out rounds fast. Then there's the smoke/tear gas or whatever he threw, and his body armor and helmet.

Could an armed movie-goer have reduced the body count? Possibly, but there was a LOT going on and anything but a highly trainer firearm's operator would have been overwelmed by the entire scenario, IMHO.

It depends. I've seen a few people do very well during their first firefight. That's how you get to experience your second. Some of those were not super ninjas, but were medics, admin guys, even a JAG guy.

Think ahead. Night sites are not really a luxury for me. The CT lasergrips are, but I had some extra cash once :whistling:

Still, best bet, is to go armed everywhere you can, and do your best to avoid everywhere you can't. Places like that attract badness.

Stang_Man
07-25-2012, 20:09
It depends. I've seen a few people do very well during their first firefight. That's how you get to experience your second. Some of those were not super ninjas, but were medics, admin guys, even a JAG guy.

Think ahead. Night sites are not really a luxury for me. The CT lasergrips are, but I had some extra cash once :whistling:

Still, best bet, is to go armed everywhere you can, and do your best to avoid everywhere you can't. Places like that attract badness.

Agreed. I think legally armed citizens would be better than not, but it'd be even better if they were well practiced and had worked under stress as well :cool:

Cavalry Doc
07-26-2012, 05:37
That's nice, you apparently have amazing situational awareness and never let your guard down for minute. Unlike the people in that movie theater. So giving them guns probably wouldn't do much. Not that I'm against it, as said before, you never know.

I consider myself rather average. I don't think about whether I am at defcon 3 or 4 on a scale of 10. I just notice stuff. There are a lot of active duty and former military where I live. A lot have them have seen action.

Still, people have a right to carry guns, I support that right, and I think it is worth the risk to not only allow it, but to encourage it.