How to SBR your “pistol”. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to SBR your “pistol”.

Kozel
07-24-2012, 20:21
How to SBR your “pistol”.

What are the steps and hoops to jump through to make legal SBR?

I would like to put Bulgarian or Russian folder on my Draco and keep it legal.

Angry Fist
07-24-2012, 20:24
Prints, $200, and 4-8 month wait. Assuming you live in a state that allows it. I'm too lazy to look up either your IP adress or coordinates. I do assume you're clean enough.

Angry Fist
07-24-2012, 20:30
Which parts? And are you doing it yourself? Sounds like fun. :thumbsup:

Kozel
07-24-2012, 20:34
SBR is legal in WA.

Where do I get forms and where do I send them?

Just a folder stock on Draco. I think I can manage doing that myself.

I am "clean enough" to get CCW and silencers.

ronin.45
07-24-2012, 20:40
Find a local class 3 dealer. They will walk you through it.

Angry Fist
07-24-2012, 20:41
The atf website has downloadable form 1's. Or order them, and they come with FBI fingerprint cards, in case your CLEO is all digital. Getting my FFL was a pain in the ass, because of that.

The_Gun_Guru
07-24-2012, 21:16
The atf website has downloadable form 1's. Or order them, and they come with FBI fingerprint cards, in case your CLEO is all digital. Getting my FFL was a pain in the ass, because of that.

ATF doesn't believe in saving trees?:rofl:

I'm "squeaky clean" but I like my Mini Draco just the way it is:thumbsup:

OP....good luck and good shooting!

TGG

WoodenPlank
07-24-2012, 21:20
Prints, $200, and 4-8 month wait. Assuming you live in a state that allows it. I'm too lazy to look up either your IP adress or coordinates. I do assume you're clean enough.

Yep. Prints meaning FINGERprints, not blueprints.

Yep. Two copies of Form 1 signed off by local sheriff, two passport photos (attached to F1's), two completed fingerprint cards, and one signed certification of compliance. Add check or money order for $200, mail to ATF, and start waiting.

Do NOT buy or possess the stock before the Form 1 is approved - better safe than sorry.

Kozel
07-24-2012, 21:20
Find a local class 3 dealer. They will walk you through it.

I already have a gun and I could buy stock on-line. Will class 3 dealer bother helping me with paperwork? If they do how much will they charge for that help?

WoodenPlank
07-24-2012, 21:25
I already have a gun and I could buy stock on-line. Will class 3 dealer bother helping me with paperwork? If they do how much will they charge for that help?

There are plenty of guides online on how to fill out the paperwork. It isn't hard. The only time you will need to consult with a dealer is when buying or transferring an NFA item through that dealer.

Angry Fist
07-24-2012, 21:27
ATF doesn't believe in saving trees?:rofl:

I'm "squeaky clean" but I like my Mini Draco just the way it is:thumbsup:

OP....good luck and good shooting!

TGG
I had to shop around local PD's that still do paper fingerprints. Local sheriff is all digital. They told me to go elsewhere. FFL, NFA regardless.

The_Gun_Guru
07-24-2012, 21:30
Do NOT buy or possess the stock before the Form 1 is approved - better safe than sorry.

Ok, I have a Mini Draco and a Romanian side-folding wire stock that I took off my WASR-10. Are you saying that I would need to get rid of the stock BEFORE filling out the Form 1 for SBR? I don't think it matters if you have the stock already or not.

TGG

WoodenPlank
07-24-2012, 21:38
Ok, I have a Mini Draco and a Romanian side-folding wire stock that I took off my WASR-10. Are you saying that I would need to get rid of the stock BEFORE filling out the Form 1 for SBR? I don't think it matters if you have the stock already or not.

TGG

Having the stock and the pistol at the same time can (in theory) be claimed as constructive intent by the ATF. Kinda like having an AR pistol and a spare (ie: not installed) buffer tube and stock laying around, or a pistol/SBR upper with no pistol lower. The ATF will claim it shows that you intended to construct an illegal SBR. It's BS, but it can happen if you run into the wrong law enforcement official, and they find out what you have.

Angry Fist
07-24-2012, 21:49

TGG
Depending on it's OAL, taking it off can compromise your rifle. You cannot legally attach a stock to a pistol with a barrel shorter than 16". Or make a "handgun" with a stock without a 16" bbl. I'm wide open for corrections, forgive me..

Haldor
07-25-2012, 08:02
SBR is legal in WA.

Where do I get forms and where do I send them?

Just a folder stock on Draco. I think I can manage doing that myself.

I am "clean enough" to get CCW and silencers.

Close to the same process as a silencer. You will need to do a form1 and have the receiver engraved with your name or trust name (since you are now considered to be the manufacturer).

I suggest checking out the forums at NFAtalk for more info. They kinda live for this sort of stuff.

Here is the link for the Form1 forum.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Haldor
07-25-2012, 08:06

TGG

I would not do any kind of modification to your Draco until you get your Form1 tax stamp. I would also have a friend or family member hold onto the wire stock for you until you get your Form1 tax stamp. Especially since you have posted this in a public forum.

I really hope you don't fit the profile of and live near any groups the government wants to infiltrate.

Ignorance of the law is no defense (unless you work for the government).

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#shoulder-stock-pistol

Landric
07-25-2012, 08:20
Having the stock and the pistol at the same time can (in theory) be claimed as constructive intent by the ATF. Kinda like having an AR pistol and a spare (ie: not installed) buffer tube and stock laying around, or a pistol/SBR upper with no pistol lower. The ATF will claim it shows that you intended to construct an illegal SBR. It's BS, but it can happen if you run into the wrong law enforcement official, and they find out what you have.

There is no such thing as constructive intent. Constructive possession is a legal theory that is used to charge actual possession. It is most commonly used with drugs found in a location (like the center console of a vehicle) that someone has access to, but doesn't actually have on their person.

As for the Draco, unless the stock can be attached without any sort of modification, having it and the pistol before the form 1 is approved isn't a problem legally. However, if the pistol has the stock attachment already and all that is necessary is attaching the stock, I would avoid it, even though it isn't technically a violation unless the stock is actually attached.

Also, be aware that there have been conflicting letters from the BATF on whether or not NFA weapons have to be 922(r) compliant. To avoid the issues, I'd just make sure that a Draco SBR was 922(r) compliant.

H&K .45 AUTO
07-25-2012, 20:14
I am currently awaiting approval on a form 1 to SBR my Arsenal SLR-107CR. I had been intimidated by the process of registering an NFA restricted weapon, but finally decided to take the leap. Honestly, my feelings are mixed about the process. On one hand, the paperwork is more straight-forward than I thought it would be, and the prints/passport photos were no big deal either.

Currently, the wait time for receiving a tax stamp seems to be running 6 months or longer, so that part is a hassle. I also was not a fan of having to permanently engrave my name/city/state onto my receiver, but I did find a local shop that did an amazing job for cheap.

All in all, I think my rifle will be among my most prized material possessions once finished, so I think it will all be worth it. But, I don't think I would ever go through the hassle again for another weapon.

Keep us posted if you decide to do it.

xXGearheadXx
07-26-2012, 06:51
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_Complete_Guide_of_how_to_complete_a_Form_1.html&page=1

You'll use a form1 to "manufacture" a sbr. Follow the guide in the link to the letter.

Just returned a form1 set to the ATF...hoping to have my 8" AR15 in .300 blackout in a couple of weeks. :)

xXGearheadXx
07-26-2012, 07:30
I am currently awaiting approval on a form 1 to SBR my Arsenal SLR-107CR. I had been intimidated by the process of registering an NFA restricted weapon, but finally decided to take the leap. Honestly, my feelings are mixed about the process. On one hand, the paperwork is more straight-forward than I thought it would be, and the prints/passport photos were no big deal either.

Currently, the wait time for receiving a tax stamp seems to be running 6 months or longer, so that part is a hassle. I also was not a fan of having to permanently engrave my name/city/state onto my receiver, but I did find a local shop that did an amazing job for cheap.

All in all, I think my rifle will be among my most prized material possessions once finished, so I think it will all be worth it. But, I don't think I would ever go through the hassle again for another weapon.

Keep us posted if you decide to do it.

You say that, but then again....a suppressor would be pretty cool. As would a SBR ar15, one of those cool Short barrel coach guns, MGs, etc....

you are on a slippery slope there my friend.

Haldor
07-26-2012, 21:01
Just returned a form1 set to the ATF...hoping to have my 8" AR15 in .300 blackout in a couple of weeks. :)

That is worth going through the hassle.

Looking forward to a range report. I would really love to have a suppressed .300 blackout AR.

My 9mm suppressor is rated for .300 blackout (subsonic).

The_Gun_Guru
07-26-2012, 21:37
I would not do any kind of modification to your Draco until you get your Form1 tax stamp. I would also have a friend or family member hold onto the wire stock for you until you get your Form1 tax stamp. Especially since you have posted this in a public forum.

I really hope you don't fit the profile of and live near any groups the government wants to infiltrate. I hope not too!:supergrin:

Ignorance of the law is no defense (unless you work for the government). LOL!!!:rofl:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#shoulder-stock-pistol

Dear ATF,

I do NOT have plans to SBR my Mini Draco now or in the future. Any and all spare rifle stocks laying around the house are for RIFLES only.

Sincerely,

TGG

There, that should do it......:supergrin: