hiding the serial numbers........ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hiding the serial numbers........

hogship
07-24-2012, 23:22
I've been active on gun forums for close to 20 years, and not once have I ever heard of anyone having any problems whatsoever with showing the serial number in an online photograph.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem with this that can be confirmed? I'm sure there are plenty of rumors......but, there are rumors, and then there is fact!

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing but false hype, with no basis in reality. I just don't pay any attention to serial numbers anymore.......

ooc

Here is a photo I took sometime in the 1990's:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1401653/45738530.jpg
These are more recent......steal one of these:
(Even if you can't read the numbers here, if you're good with photo enhancements, you can get the numbers.)
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1401653/393014275.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1401653/372938558.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/365164513.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/261797910.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/115656978.jpg

ooc

bac1023
07-24-2012, 23:26
I never once hid serial numbers in thousands of pics.

Ruggles
07-25-2012, 00:09

I am not a "hider" either.

maniDAR
07-25-2012, 01:03
I was told once by someone that people could copy the number and use the number and one could get stuck proving that he/she did not commit the crime.

Laughed at the statement back than and still do not believe in it.

CajunBass
07-25-2012, 03:20
I worry about it almost as much as I do little green men from Mars or the Mayan calendar. I'll usually "X" out the last couple digits when I write the S/N but that's just to keep someone from coming along and lecturing me about how I shouldn't post serial numbers online. :yawn: I've never made any effort to block them in pictures.

I just bought a Dan Wesson 22. The S/N is 13327.

Bruce M
07-25-2012, 04:24
Sigh. I wish I was young enough such that I could see well enough to still focus a lens good enough to get a serial number in focus.

Arc Angel
07-25-2012, 04:58
Show your firearm serial numbers? :freak:

Brilliant idea! :thumbsup:

Now, varied and numerous police and military personnel are going to be able to more easily walk right up to your front door in order to continue that internet argument you previously participated in, and incorrectly imagined was of no further consequence.

If you wouldn't publish your: picture, phone number, or IP address on the Internet then don't publish any of your firearm serial numbers, either. This may come as a shock; but, the world isn't full of altruistic, genuinely decent people. It's full of clever, self-assuming, and devious ones, instead. The Internet - for however useful an information or communication resource it might be - is, also, an intellectual cesspool of degenerate human emotions and behaviors. Why expose yourself to any more of this societal offal than necessary? :dunno:

grumpy1
07-25-2012, 06:16
Nope.

I never hide my serial mumbers. I don't put electrical tape over the VIN of my vehicles or take the license plates off of my vehicles when in my driveway either.

Airborne Infantryman
07-25-2012, 06:36
Show your firearm serial numbers? :freak:

Brilliant idea! :thumbsup:

Now, varied and numerous police and military personnel are going to be able to more easily walk right up to your front door in order to continue that internet argument you previously participated in, and incorrectly imagined was of no further consequence.

If you wouldn't publish your: picture, phone number, or IP address on the Internet then don't publish any of your firearm serial numbers, either. This may come as a shock; but, the world isn't full of altruistic, genuinely decent people. It's full of clever, self-assuming, and devious ones, instead. The Internet - for however useful an information or communication resource it might be - is, also, an intellectual cesspool of degenerate human emotions and behaviors. Why expose yourself to any more of this societal offal than necessary? :dunno:

Herp-a-derp!

Yes, because we're participating in training right now, on how to confiscate your guns, and how to rape and pillage neighborhoods. :upeyes:

ETA: We're also training on how to most effectively shoot your dog as well. :yawn:

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 06:49
I shred any paper work before it hits the trash. I pull all shipping labels before throwing the box in the trash, I never give out my SS# unless I know exactly whom I am giving it to, and I do cover the SN on my guns. If someone wants information from me they will have to work for it, why make it easy?? That's just me how I do things.

However, I post my credit card on line all the time when I buy stuff:whistling:

Arc Angel
07-25-2012, 07:30
Herp-a-derp!

Yes, because we're participating in training right now, on how to confiscate your guns, and how to rape and pillage neighborhoods.

ETA: We're also training on how to most effectively shoot your dog as well.

Sorry! Didn't mean to blow your cover. By the way you must have been one of those Homeland Security idiots who participated in policing operations during and after Hurricane Katrina - Huh!

(I particularly liked the way you morons disarmed that little old lady who was standing in the middle of her kitchen holding an antique revolver - Outstanding work, Kilroy! You must be very proud.) :freak:

zackwatt
07-25-2012, 07:32
It's just silly IMO...

whoflungdo
07-25-2012, 07:39
It's not about being charged with a crime because your firearm may of been used in a crime. There are nefarious people everywhere, yes even here on GlockTalk. If someone reported your S/N stolen, it would very difficult to prove it was yours and not stolen. I have most of the receipts for my Firearms, but not all of them. Yes, that person that falsely reported would get in a lot of trouble, and yes the likelihood of this happening is slim, but it would be a massive headache if it happened.

Haldor
07-25-2012, 07:46
I worry about it almost as much as I do little green men from Mars or the Mayan calendar. I'll usually "X" out the last couple digits when I write the S/N but that's just to keep someone from coming along and lecturing me about how I shouldn't post serial numbers online. :yawn: I've never made any effort to block them in pictures.

I just bought a Dan Wesson 22. The S/N is 13327.

I just reported that to the police as stolen!

Could you post a pic of that to make my claim even stronger?

:rofl:

Decguns
07-25-2012, 07:47
One of my gunwriter buddies, who has been wiping serial numbers off of every gun pic he's ever published, once told me he does it because someone may file a police report saying that serial number gun is theirs... and claiming you stole it. Yeah, whatever.

Having actually had guns stolen. It's not how it works. If there's a dispute, and neither of you can PROVE ownership. It's a wash.

CajunBass
07-25-2012, 07:51
I just reported that to the police as stolen!

Could you post a pic of that to make my claim even stronger?

Sure. No problem.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0442.jpg

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 07:56
Sure. No problem.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0442.jpg

All your serial numbers are belong to us :tongueout:

Airborne Infantryman
07-25-2012, 09:06
Sorry! Didn't mean to blow your cover. By the way you must have been one of those Homeland Security idiots who participated in policing operations during and after Hurricane Katrina - Huh!

(I particularly liked the way you morons disarmed that little old lady who was standing in the middle of her kitchen holding an antique revolver - Outstanding work, Kilroy! You must be very proud.) :freak:

"All aboard the FEMA train cars"

I mean, heck, you guys aren't going to herd yourselves onto the boxcars destined for the FEMA camps. Someones gotta do it! :rofl:

Oh, and by the way-

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/22/91203ebd-4f72-4ede-88fc-082cd403e852.jpg

For the record, I'm active duty .MIL, (not Homeland Security like you assume) and its a violation of Article 91 of the UCMJ to confiscate guns. Neither myself, or my fellow Infantrymen care to take your guns, and are more entertained by screwing with the various wildlife in the areas we visit.

Bill Keith
07-25-2012, 09:52
I'll go you one better...I don't ever publish pix of my weapons. I'll tell what it is and think most on here know what a lot of these firearms look like.:faint:

M&P15T
07-25-2012, 10:05
Based on the fact that many, many people here won't even share what State/City they live in, it really isn't that surprising. Paranoia is simply the lay of the land here.

MasterShake
07-25-2012, 10:06

I mean, heck, you guys aren't going to herd yourselves onto the boxcars destined for the FEMA camps. Someones gotta do it! :rofl:

Oh, and by the way-

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/22/91203ebd-4f72-4ede-88fc-082cd403e852.jpg
I knew it! I bet you, your military compadres, and Bush organised 9/11 too!! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read more infowars.com so I can learn about more things to be scared of.

Agonizer
07-25-2012, 10:13
Based on the fact that many, many people here won't even share what State/City they live in, it really isn't that surprising. Paranoia is simply the lay of the land here.

Better to be paranoid, than to be a victim.

Ruggles
07-25-2012, 10:15
Considering there are what 500,000 (low estimate) pictures of privately owned firearms online with serial numbers showing has there ever been any issue because of a serial number? I have not heard of one. Has anybody?

M&P15T
07-25-2012, 10:28
Better to be paranoid, than to be a victim.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
A "victim" of what?

fnfalman
07-25-2012, 10:34
Herp-a-derp!

Yes, because we're participating in training right now, on how to confiscate your guns, and how to rape and pillage neighborhoods. :upeyes:

ETA: We're also training on how to most effectively shoot your dog as well. :yawn:

:rofl::rofl:

That's a good one!!!

The tin hat foil is strong in this thread.

fnfalman
07-25-2012, 10:35
A "victim" of what?

A victim of circumstances.

A victim of faux pas.

A victim of society.

concretefuzzynuts
07-25-2012, 11:54
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Redheadhunter21
07-25-2012, 13:10
Do I post my serial number? Nope but I'm not worried about people seeing it. They could already track my ip address fairly easily and thats is gonna help them more than any serial number

zackwatt
07-25-2012, 13:51
A "victim" of what?

Bob Hafler
07-25-2012, 14:55
Never really thought about it much or had a problem with it.
I guess to me it's a non issue.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-25-2012, 15:01

Bac has one of everything I own, so I usually just post his pics :)

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 15:04
Bac has one of everything I own, so I usually just post his pics :)

Bac have one of everything I never seen before :tongueout:

whoflungdo
07-25-2012, 15:08
Bac has More than one of everything I own, so I usually just post his pics :)

There... fixed it for ya...:wavey:

Bruce M
07-25-2012, 15:20
It's not about being charged with a crime because your firearm may of been used in a crime. There are nefarious people everywhere, yes even here on GlockTalk. If someone reported your S/N stolen, it would very difficult to prove it was yours and not stolen. I have most of the receipts for my Firearms, but not all of them. Yes, that person that falsely reported would get in a lot of trouble, and yes the likelihood of this happening is slim, but it would be a massive headache if it happened.

Unless by chance the photograph was say... posted on line before someone else tried to report the gun as stolen. That might be..as they say... a "clue."

Herp-a-derp!

:rofl::rofl:

arclight610
07-25-2012, 15:52

Old guys won't get it.

http://globalgeeknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Gordon-Freeman-and-Headcrab-Guy-Half-Life-Cosplay.jpeg

Airborne Infantryman
07-25-2012, 15:58
Old guys won't get it.

http://globalgeeknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Gordon-Freeman-and-Headcrab-Guy-Half-Life-Cosplay.jpeg

AH HAHA! That is so awesome! :supergrin:

zackwatt
07-25-2012, 16:08
Old guys won't get it.

That is awesome!

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 16:21
Old guys won't get it.

Half Life!!!

Magnus2131
07-25-2012, 16:51
In before my gun is claimed.

meleors
07-26-2012, 06:50
Herp-a-derp!

Look, if you confiscate my guns and rape and pillage my neighborhood, I'd be a little miffed.

Shoot my dog and then "it's on cuz!" :fred:

07-26-2012, 07:16
I never once hid serial numbers in thousands of pics.Even if you hide your serial numbers, it doesn't matter. We know how to locate you, just by looking at the pics of your carpet.:supergrin::tongueout:

SigFTW
07-26-2012, 10:04
Even if you hide your serial numbers, it doesn't matter. We know how to locate you, just by looking at the pics of your carpet.:supergrin::tongueout:

That is funny!!:rofl:

Arc Angel
07-26-2012, 12:04

Oh, and by the way- ....... For the record, I'm active duty .MIL, (not Homeland Security like you assume) and its a violation of Article 91 of the UCMJ to confiscate guns. Neither myself, or my fellow Infantrymen care to take your guns, and are more entertained by screwing with the various wildlife in the areas we visit.

:upeyes: Assume? I didn’t assume you were anything other than a budding jackbooted thug; and, then, you went so far as to actually prove it! :freak:

We really don't need to argue about this, though. Look at the bright side of things: The America I grew up in, and for which numerous members of my family fought and sacrificed themselves, is now stone cold dead and gone. The America I'm living in today (and in which I'm going to die) is only a shadow of that once great, freedom loving country which this nation of my birth used to be. According to you and other like-minded young Turks, everything's all a coincidence of international politics, and bad (but, somehow, curiously forgiven) erroneous national policies and monetary decisions.

When I was a young man the Americans of my youth taught me how to think and to work, conscientiously, at improving myself. Moral and civil principles actually mattered; and that daily society in which I grew up clearly understood the dire social necessity of hiding its moral foibles and personal indiscretions very well out-of-sight.

Today, however, Americans are encouraged to (literally) roll in their moral discrepancies like so many pigs wallowing in mud. The only thing I've learned from the Americans of my old age is how ridiculously easy it is to herd sheep and lead livestock straight into their own inevitable slaughter. So, I've got to ask you: Will you be getting your mark in your right hand, or do you prefer the forehead, instead? Hmmm ...... ? :upeyes:

PS: Lest anyone think this thread has gone astray, I will remind that the current President of the United States has - out of his own mouth - irrevocably linked: God, guns, and social modernization together. ('Forward' Correct!) :supergrin: The covert message is unmistakable: All you have to do is look; and you'll see it: 'Social change and moral modification are good.' 'God and guns, however, are bad'.

So, who is the American government of my latter years so very interested in changing? (Who's going to end up being herded into your FEMA train cars?) Even to the likes of you the answer should be obvious: ....... The Real Christians and Jews! If you prefer to wear a set of, 'mental blinders' and choose not to look at the truth, well, don't blame me. One of us is right; and the other is wrong. No matter how much we argue, ultimately time is going to reveal the truth of the matter. The way I see things, unfortunately, that truth is going to work out to America's abiding chagrin.

Airborne Infantryman
07-26-2012, 14:35
Assume? I didn’t assume you were anything other than a budding jackbooted thug; and, then, you went so far as to actually prove it! :freak:

We really don't need to argue about this, though. Look at the bright side of things: The America I grew up in, and for which numerous members of my family fought and sacrificed themselves, is now stone cold dead and gone. The America I'm living in today (and in which I'm going to die) is only a shadow of that once great, freedom loving country which this nation of my birth used to be. According to you and other like-minded young Turks, everything's all a coincidence of international politics, and bad (but, somehow, curiously forgiven) erroneous national policies and monetary decisions.

When I was a young man the Americans of my youth taught me how to think and to work, conscientiously, at improving myself. Moral and civil principles actually mattered; and that daily society in which I grew up clearly understood the dire social necessity of hiding its moral foibles and personal indiscretions very well out-of-sight.

Today, however, Americans are encouraged to (literally) roll in their moral discrepancies like so many pigs wallowing in mud. The only thing I've learned from the Americans of my old age is how ridiculously easy it is to herd sheep and lead livestock straight into their own inevitable slaughter. So, I've got to ask you: Will you be getting your mark in your right hand, or do you prefer the forehead, instead? Hmmm ...... ? :upeyes:

PS: Lest anyone think this thread has gone astray, I will remind that the current President of the United States has - out of his own mouth - irrevocably linked: God, guns, and social modernization together. ('Forward' Correct!) :supergrin: The covert message is unmistakable: All you have to do is look; and you'll see it: 'Social change and moral modification are good.' 'God and guns, however, are bad'.

So, who is the American government of my latter years so very interested in changing? (Who's going to end up being herded into your FEMA train cars?) Even to the likes of you the answer should be obvious: ....... The Real Christians and Jews! If you prefer to wear a set of, 'mental blinders' and choose not to look at the truth, well, don't blame me. One of us is right; and the other is wrong. No matter how much we argue, ultimately time is going to reveal the truth of the matter. The way I see things, unfortunately, that truth is going to work out to America's abiding chagrin.

Being a Jack-Booted Thug has its benefits........and pays rather well. :supergrin:

Remember - You're either WITH us, or AGAINST us. I figure, if you can't beat'em, join'em. :cool:

ETA: Does the little chip they implanted in me so its easier to issue us gear, qualify as your so-called "mark"? I think its like an RFID chip or something? :dunno:

MasterShake
07-26-2012, 14:40
:upeyes: Assume? I didn’t assume you were anything other than a budding jackbooted thug; and, then, you went so far as to actually prove it! :freak:
Hahaha, yeah, that's right, he is nothing but a jackbooted thug. Him and the rest of the military, horrible people I tell you. Why can't we all be more like Arc Angel?! We could only WISH to be so lucky.... :upeyes:

Airborne Infantryman
07-26-2012, 15:18
We could only WISH to be so lucky.... :upeyes:

You mean a religious zealot nutcase? :supergrin:

concretefuzzynuts
07-26-2012, 15:34

Whaaaaa.....:rofl:

AK_Stick
07-26-2012, 15:41
Herp-a-derp!

Wait, I missed dog shooting training?

Damnit, I knew I shouldn't have taken leave.

MasterShake
07-26-2012, 15:53
I already think everyone who doesn't worship the same God I do is going to burn for eternity in hell, now I just need to listen to a LOT more Alex Jones like Arc Angel does. That way I'll be ready for when you and your "jackbooted", anti Christ military compadres come to shoot my dog and mark me with the mark of the beast! http://nevadashooters.com/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

concretefuzzynuts
07-26-2012, 15:58
I thought Obama is the Anti-Christ?

MasterShake
07-26-2012, 16:02
I thought Obama is the Anti-Christ?
Didn't you know?! Obama AND the military are working with the devil! We're stupid not to take heed of Arc Angel and his prophecies from the lord! http://nevadashooters.com/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

Folsom_Prison
07-26-2012, 16:12

AngryPanda
07-26-2012, 16:39
:upeyes: Assume? I didnít assume you were anything other than a budding jackbooted thug; and, then, you went so far as to actually prove it! :freak:

http://i41.tinypic.com/70csb7.gif

Folsom_Prison
07-26-2012, 16:48

Damn :rofl::rofl:

GLOCK17DB9
07-26-2012, 16:51
if you want to know the serial number of any of my guns all you have to do is ask, nicely.:supergrin:

concretefuzzynuts
07-26-2012, 17:46

That is awesome! As a retired trainer I can't imagine.

faawrenchbndr
07-26-2012, 17:47
Hog'

Nice early Seacamp!

Ruggles
07-26-2012, 17:52
:upeyes: Assume? I didnít assume you were anything other than a budding jackbooted thug; and, then, you went so far as to actually prove it! :freak:

Wow you do have a positive outlook don't you :tongueout:

MasterShake
07-26-2012, 18:29
Wow you do have a positive outlook don't you :tongueout:
http://blog.chelseamageland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpeg

Cobra64
07-26-2012, 18:39

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P239/P1020156.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/WHERESTHEMONEY.gif

concretefuzzynuts
07-26-2012, 18:47

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P239/P1020156.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/WHERESTHEMONEY.gif

That was mine! I'm reporting it stolen right now. I just need to understand that filling a false report about a stolen firearm is a federal offense and I could be prosecuted for such.

Cobra64
07-26-2012, 18:53
That was mine! I'm reporting it stolen right now. I just need to understand that filling a false report about a stolen firearm is a federal offense and I could be prosecuted for such.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/tumblr_m6go6aUR781rzxz94o2_500.gif

07-26-2012, 20:19
That was mine! I'm reporting it stolen right now...
So, you are the one who stole it from me!:steamed:

SigFTW
07-26-2012, 20:23
y'all guys are crazy!! no wonder I like GT :rofl:

hogship
07-26-2012, 20:43
Hog'

Nice early Seacamp!

Thanx faawrenchbndr........

......I'm sure I'm not the only one having a great time seeing all the twists and turns of this thread. It's turning out to be a pretty good side show!

:wavey:

ooc

Bullman
07-26-2012, 20:51
Yes, I have.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/dabullmanp9/Searsshotgun.jpg

Cobra64
07-27-2012, 00:59
......I'm sure I'm not the only one having a great time seeing all the twists and turns of this thread. It's turning out to be a pretty good side show!

:wavey:

ooc

Twists and turns comin' up...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Happy%20Faces/davidope10.gif

Toyman
07-27-2012, 04:13
Some of you might want to put your flame panties on....

To all of the paranoid people here who don't post their location:
You're not as anonymous as you think you are.

All I have to do is send you a PM with an embedded image in it and my server will log your IP Address. I've done it before, it works pretty well. Now days, the locations of most IP addresses are pretty accurate.

It's pretty funny when you send someone a Google Street View picture of their house, all of a sudden they're not Mr. Jack*** anymore.

At least put your State in the location so when you ask some stupid gun law question (without mentioning your State) we have a reference to go by.

M&P15T
07-27-2012, 06:23
Some of you might want to put your flame panties on....

To all of the paranoid people here who don't post their location:
You're not as anonymous as you think you are.

All I have to do is send you a PM with an embedded image in it and my server will log your IP Address. I've done it before, it works pretty well. Now days, the locations of most IP addresses are pretty accurate.

It's pretty funny when you send someone a Google Street View picture of their house, all of a sudden they're not Mr. Jack*** anymore.

At least put your State in the location so when you ask some stupid gun law question (without mentioning your State) we have a reference to go by.

The tinfoil hat crowd does not run on logic or facts....they run on fear. I am actually to the point where I take an automatic negative view of any poster that hides their location like a paranoid freak.

Of course the REAL paranoid freaks now disable their PMs.

SigFTW
07-27-2012, 06:46
I'm just an average man
With an average life
I work from 9 to 5
Hey well I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone
In my average home
But why do I always feel
I'm in the twilight zone and

I always feel like
Somebody's watchin' me:wow:
And I have no privacy
Oh, I always feel like
Somebody's watching me
Tell me is it just a dream

Paul53
07-27-2012, 15:34
Is there any topic that GTers wont argue about and start flaming each other? Hope not, that's part of the fun.

Now excuse me while I write a check to the Obama campaign.:tongueout: