Homemade bullet lube, Anyone make it?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Homemade bullet lube, Anyone make it??

country85
07-25-2012, 10:23
I use straight crisco to lube my 38 loads as I load them super light, But I am going to be casting for my 44 Magnum rifle soon I know crisco isn't going to be the best choice. I have heard alot of different recipes but seems no one I talked to personally has used any of them, So has any one actually made and used homemade bullet lube? I will be pan lubing only if that helps

Three-Five-Seven
07-25-2012, 11:04
You using gunpowder or propellant???

PhantomF4E
07-25-2012, 11:07
I have made both from scratch . Hundreds of recipes out there . Castboolits forum has dozens of stickys posted . Johnsons paste wax is a staple for pan lube recipes . You can buy it all and in some cases it is cheaper than buying enough to mix it up yourself. All depends on the quantity of bullets you are lubing . If you do a lot, make it , if you don't, buy it . Or if you are like me , just wanted to see if I could do it ... I did . I have a lifetime supply of beeswax and other stuff now to clutter up my shelf !!!

fredj338
07-25-2012, 12:02
Yeah it's half voodoo half science making bullet lube. It starts w/ Beeswax for the better lubes. Then add a lubricating agent of some kind. There are simple recipes & complicated ones. The Castboolit site has an entire forum on just bullet lube recipes. You can do quite well w/ a 60/40 mix of BW & plain old Vaseline for most handgun use. White Label lubes makes a great product & it's pretty cheap. They have several choices.

unclebob
07-25-2012, 13:01
Get some 91% or higher rubbing alcohol 16oz. and a tube of Lee resizing lube. Pour about of the alcohol out of the bottle. Add the lube. Add a couple of balls from empty paint spray cans. helps in mixing. Shake until mixed. Pour the 1/4 alcohol back in shake then put in a spray bottle. Take a Zip lock bag spay the inside of the bag add the brass and mix around. Dump out and let dry a couple of minutes. Load. No need to remove the lube from the case.

fredj338
07-25-2012, 13:21
Get some 91% or higher rubbing alcohol 16oz. and a tube of Lee resizing lube. Pour about of the alcohol out of the bottle. Add the lube. Add a couple of balls from empty paint spray cans. helps in mixing. Shake until mixed. Pour the 1/4 alcohol back in shake then put in a spray bottle. Take a Zip lock bag spay the inside of the bag add the brass and mix around. Dump out and let dry a couple of minutes. Load. No need to remove the lube from the case.

I think he's talking bullet lube Bob, not case lube. Put your glasses on next time.:supergrin:

sig357fan
07-25-2012, 13:22
+1 on White Label lubes

sig357fan

unclebob
07-25-2012, 13:26
I think he's talking bullet lube Bob, not case lube. Put your glasses on next time.:supergrin:

:tongueout:

country85
07-25-2012, 14:03
Thanks ya'll, I just got back from one hell of a trip to wally world and picked up some paraffin vasoline and some stp oil treatment, I'm gonna see what i can come up with, I just wanted to see if i could make it my self. I'm going to be using unique most likely as a powder, under a 240 grain round nose boolit. And bob not what I was looking for but thanks for that recipe for case lube, I can most certainly use that!!!

SJ 40
07-25-2012, 14:13
I make a lube for black powder that in consistency and performance is much like SPG,very pleased with it as are 7 other shooters using it.
When it come to smokeless powder if anything other than commercial lube from Magma,small batches or testing I have been known to use JPW/liquid alox.
SJ 40

fredj338
07-25-2012, 15:59
Thanks ya'll, I just got back from one hell of a trip to wally world and picked up some paraffin vasoline and some stp oil treatment, I'm gonna see what i can come up with, I just wanted to see if i could make it my self. I'm going to be using unique most likely as a powder, under a 240 grain round nose boolit. And bob not what I was looking for but thanks for that recipe for case lube, I can most certainly use that!!!

Parrafin makes a poor lube addetive. If you can get free or cheap Beeswax, you are half way there. One of the guys at CB put me onto BW & 2 stroke motor oil @ 4-1 ratio by weight. Seem to work for my handgun applications, but really, if you have to buy stuff, buying the lube from WhiteLabel is a bargain. A 2oz stick does about 1000 bullets for less than $2 delivered in some sort of bulk, like 10 sticks. I only tried making lube for SHTF scenarios where I may run out, not likley, but knowledge is good to have.

dla
07-25-2012, 16:57
A toilet bowl ring is beeswax.

The best recipes for lubes can be found over at castboolits.com.

I used to use a 50/50 mix of beeswax & parafin and harden it up with some Ivory soap shavings. But nowadays I just use Lee Liquid Alox. I've have used Alox and Johnson Paste Wax (Carnuba wax), and it is less sticky, but otherwise not really worth the effort.

If you get a lube doughnut on the muzzle crown then your bullet & lube is at least sealing the bore. Then the next step is accuracy.

WiskyT
07-25-2012, 17:13
I have tried several batches of bullets in different calibers and loads with JPW and LLA mixed. They all sucked. Liquid alox works great. When you add JPW to it, it all goes to heck. I got leading and terrible groups, sometimes even keyholing, with the internet legend of JPW and LLA mixed.

I have had very good results with just using the liquid alox, from Lee or White Label, for pistol bullets. I know it's not really part of the theme of this thread, but I just wanted to save people the trouble of wasting their time with mixing JPW and LLA.

fredj338
07-25-2012, 17:18
A toilet bowl ring is beeswax.

The best recipes for lubes can be found over at castboolits.com.

I used to use a 50/50 mix of beeswax & parafin and harden it up with some Ivory soap shavings. But nowadays I just use Lee Liquid Alox. I've have used Alox and Johnson Paste Wax (Carnuba wax), and it is less sticky, but otherwise not really worth the effort.

If you get a lube doughnut on the muzzle crown then your bullet & lube is at least sealing the bore. Then the next step is accuracy.
They haven't been beeswax for decades now. Beeswax is yellow & stiff, toilet wax is some sort of mystery grease or what they term slack wax. It can be used though. A 60/40 BW toilet ring grease/wax makes a decent pistol lube, but I doubt it's any better than vaseline. I have never reallyliked Alox based lubes, too sticky in anything above 70deg weather.

country85
07-25-2012, 17:41
Yea my small experiment with 2 blocks gulf wax one 3.5 ounce container of vasoline and a teaspoon of oil treatment looks good but doesn't seem to stick worth a crap, at least in my 38 boolits out of my lee mold, but the boolits are like chrome they are so smooth so that could be the problem. I've got some hard cast 44 SWC's that have been sitting so long the lube is falling out of em so I'm going to experiment with them and see if I have better luck,

The while label sticks, can i melt them down and pan lube with them?

Colorado4Wheel
07-25-2012, 20:23
I found it to be a total PITA and gave up. YMMV

fredj338
07-25-2012, 21:15
Yea my small experiment with 2 blocks gulf wax one 3.5 ounce container of vasoline and a teaspoon of oil treatment looks good but doesn't seem to stick worth a crap, at least in my 38 boolits out of my lee mold, but the boolits are like chrome they are so smooth so that could be the problem. I've got some hard cast 44 SWC's that have been sitting so long the lube is falling out of em so I'm going to experiment with them and see if I have better luck,

The while label sticks, can i melt them down and pan lube with them?

That is one of the issues w/ parrafin, it isn't very tacky. BW will stick, just about any kind of lube/grease will be absorbed by the wax & you have bullet lube. SOme like to use natural oils like olive or peanut, castor or flax seed.
Yes, you can pan lube w/ any of the WL lubes, BAC or 2500 would probably be your best bet, lower melting point & a bit more tacky than CR.

country85
07-26-2012, 06:14
Thanks ya'll.

UPDATE: After I figured the best way to remove the bullets from the pan was to pick the whole sheet of lube/wax up and push the bullets back through it, the lube stayed put fairly well, could still move it around with your hands in the groove and just took a broken piece of wax and scraped it across the groves of the bullets that didn't get the initial stick, this worked well but I still felt it was going to be too soft. Well I woke up this morning and to my surprise this stuff dried/setup fairly well over night. I don't have that much experience with bullet lube of any kind but I think this stuff just may work, it just has to be let set over night after you work the wax in the groove. I'ts alot of work, but doing it this way,(casting my own boolits and lubing them also) will keep my 44 mag cost down tons. After getting a great trade deal on brass powder and bullets, I think I can reload a box of 50 with 245 gr SWC for around 8 to 10 dollars... sure as hell beats paying 38.99 a box lol

fredj338
07-26-2012, 09:12
Thanks ya'll.

I think I can reload a box of 50 with 245 gr SWC for around 8 to 10 dollars... sure as hell beats paying 38.99 a box lol

And that is one reason we reload.:supergrin:

glock_19guy1983
07-26-2012, 09:35
Thanks ya'll.

UPDATE: After I figured the best way to remove the bullets from the pan was to pick the whole sheet of lube/wax up and push the bullets back through it, the lube stayed put fairly well, could still move it around with your hands in the groove and just took a broken piece of wax and scraped it across the groves of the bullets that didn't get the initial stick, this worked well but I still felt it was going to be too soft. Well I woke up this morning and to my surprise this stuff dried/setup fairly well over night. I don't have that much experience with bullet lube of any kind but I think this stuff just may work, it just has to be let set over night after you work the wax in the groove. I'ts alot of work, but doing it this way,(casting my own boolits and lubing them also) will keep my 44 mag cost down tons. After getting a great trade deal on brass powder and bullets, I think I can reload a box of 50 with 245 gr SWC for around 8 to 10 dollars... sure as hell beats paying 38.99 a box lol

I use that recipe in my cast bullets. one thing I have found is that after the lube hardens some at room temp stick the pan in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Lube stays in the grooves better when you push the boolits through. you can also add your favorite color crayon to the mix and it makes it easier to see that your grooves are lubed.

country85
07-26-2012, 09:43
I use that recipe in my cast bullets. one thing I have found is that after the lube hardens some at room temp stick the pan in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Lube stays in the grooves better when you push the boolits through. you can also add your favorite color crayon to the mix and it makes it easier to see that your grooves are lubed.

Thanks for the tip!!! I added a couple dark and normal blue crayons to this batch but it turned out a little light still, I may throw in a couple more today when I do another batch later today. Now if my new 44 mold would hurry up and get here I'd be set lol

glock_19guy1983
07-26-2012, 09:49
Thanks for the tip!!! I added a couple dark and normal blue crayons to this batch but it turned out a little light still, I may throw in a couple more today when I do another batch later today. Now if my new 44 mold would hurry up and get here I'd be set lol

yeah casting your own bullets will save you ALOT of money. Ive got my 38 super down to 2.75 a box now that im using home cast bullets. What kind of lead will you be using? I picked up a couple of 5gal buckets of wheel weights for $35 several months ago and have been picking up lead at the range every time im there. Wheel weights work really well but ive noticed that range lead is quite a bit softer and needs to be alloyed with wheel weights.

country85
07-26-2012, 11:38
I work in a tire shop here in indiana so I"m using wheel weights.. when I can get them, every where is going to non lead and now 1 out of maybe 12 wheel weights I pull off a car is lead :crying::crying: The freezer trick is awesome! I just did about 150 bullets in 45 minutes lol, Here's the results

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/Robert_Harwood/DSCN0341.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/Robert_Harwood/DSCN0340.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/Robert_Harwood/DSCN0339.jpg

glock_19guy1983
07-26-2012, 12:08
yeah when I melted down the two buckets I got it was probably 60% lead 15% zinc 15% steel and 10% snuff spit. I ended up drilling a few holes towards the bottom of the bucket and dousing with dawn dish detergent and a hose. Range lead takes a while to collect but at least you dont have to worry about melting zinc into your alloy. The lead mets out of the jackets then they float to the top.

GunHo198
07-26-2012, 13:21
I use my Old Bacon Grease. When I go to the Range, the Denny's next door gets really Busy...

glock_19guy1983
07-26-2012, 13:42
I use my Old Bacon Grease. When I go to the Range, the Denny's next door gets really Busy...

Lol. I bet you make the whole range hungry when you shoot.:supergrin:

WiskyT
07-26-2012, 15:20
Thanks ya'll.

If your goal is to lube bullets easily and avoid the cost of a lubrisizer, liquid alox is as easy as falling out of bead and works great. If you like pan lubing, that's okay too.

glock_19guy1983
07-26-2012, 15:43
If your goal is to lube bullets easily and avoid the cost of a lubrisizer, liquid alox is as easy as falling out of bead and works great. If you like pan lubing, that's okay too.

I tried that stuff on some some bullets I shot at an IDPA match. No leading but after the string the safety officer asked me if i was loading with pyrodex:rofl: Pan lubing smokes but it wasnt as bad as the liq alox. Ive also attempted to tumble lube cast bullets with Moly and tungsten disulfide but get horrible leading with both.

dla
07-26-2012, 17:47
I have tried several batches of bullets in different calibers and loads with JPW and LLA mixed. They all sucked. Liquid alox works great. When you add JPW to it, it all goes to heck. I got leading and terrible groups, sometimes even keyholing, with the internet legend of JPW and LLA mixed.

I have had very good results with just using the liquid alox, from Lee or White Label, for pistol bullets. I know it's not really part of the theme of this thread, but I just wanted to save people the trouble of wasting their time with mixing JPW and LLA.

Personally I think the problem is that the most common recipe for the JPW/LLA combo is the 45/45/10. Everyone believes they should cook the combo to death instead of heating enough to get everything to combine. So the internet version of 45/45/10 is something that doesn't coat thick enough.

I use my version of 45/45/10 and it works the same as pure LLA. The only difference is that it is less sticky at 70*F. But if you are out in 90* weather it seems as sticky as LLA.

It was hard to find JPW in my area - just not popular anymore. Given that I don't see much difference between it and regular LLA, I won't be making up anymore. But since a little goes a long ways - I'll be shooting my 45/45/10 mixture for a couple more years :)

country85
07-26-2012, 17:59

HAHAHA LMAO!!!!!! Doesn't it get kind of messy since bacon grease never really solidifies?

WiskyT
07-26-2012, 19:13
HAHAHA LMAO!!!!!! Doesn't it get kind of messy since bacon grease never really solidifies?

It does solidify once it's in your coronary arteries.

bamacisa
07-29-2012, 19:51
I tried making bullet lube. Had some success, but i ended up just buying some commercial sticks. Unless you just want to make yiur own lube, it is easier to just buy some from Midway or somebody. It is not that expensive.