Austrian steel! - Wolf SV Ultramatic 9mm :):) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Austrian steel! - Wolf SV Ultramatic 9mm :):)

bac1023
07-25-2012, 12:40
I just picked up the Wolf SV pistol that I talked about a few months ago in this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415042

When I first spotted it in a shop in the Poconos in April, I had never seen one before. I've been thinking about it on and off all summer. Over the last couple of months, I gathered what little data there is online about them and have been quite intrigued. Well, I had a couple days off this week and decided to call the shop and see if it was still for sale. It turns out that they had taken it out of the case to make room for other handguns and it was still available. After hearing that, I decided to take a trip north and pick it up. I'm glad I decided to grab it. This gun is cool as hell. As I said in that thread, the price was $699. However, I was able to haggle them down $50, so I got it for $695 OTD after taxes and fees.

As the thread title states, these pistols were built in Austria for only a couple years in the mid to late 1990's. The design is very unique, as you can see. The barrel and slide are both fixed with only an internal bolt moving. The pistol is extremely high quality. You can tell that by just picking it up and cocking the hammer. It feels like a very precision built, heavy duty piece of machinery. Reliability is supposed to be a bit suspect, due to the very tight tolerances of the pistol coupled with a rather complicated design. I'm not overly concerned, as its just a novelty piece for my collection and occasional range time. Speaking of range time, the trigger is outstanding. Its not overly light, but has a very solid and precise feel. Its finished very well also. It appears to be a satin nickel of some sort from the looks of it. As you can imagine from my description, this pistol is incredibly hefty. I sat it on my digital scale and it weighed in at 46.8oz unloaded. To put that in proper perspective, its about 8oz (a half pound) heavier than a full size government 1911. That should tell you just how solid the construction is. Although a bit smaller in overall size, this Wolf is a half ounce heavier than my all steel Sig X-Five L1 with the magwell and everything. The Sig weighs in at 46.2oz. In fact, the only auto pistol I own that's heavier than the Wolf is my Desert Eagle 50AE at 69.8oz. Of course, that shoots a round with about three times the muzzle energy. Shooting 9mm in this pistol will be like shooting 38 Special out of a Smith N frame revolver.

The company went out of business due to the very high cost of the gun. The retail price was $2000 and up in the 1990's and they simply couldn't sell enough to make a profit. After production stopped and the business went under, CDNN blew out the remaining stock at very cheap prices. However, they are now extremely difficult to find.

The gun itself is in excellent condition. Other than a couple marks on the right grip, there isn't a significant scratch to be found. It came complete with the original case and manual. Capacity is 18 rounds, but, unfortunately, it only came with one Clinton-era 10 round mag. They are proprietary mags built by Mec-Gar, so the chances of finding a couple 18 rounders is probably slim to none.

Here is a video I found on You Tube. Its very short, but you can see the gun in action.

Shooting the Wolf SV Ultramatic semi-auto Austrian pistol - YouTube

Here is a review by the same person. Since his gun is blued, you can see the markings a bit better. However, the markings on his gun are slightly different than mine.

My review of the Wolf Ultramatic SV - an Austrian fixed-barrel pistol - YouTube

That is enough for now. As you can tell, I really excited about this pistol. I plan to get to the range this weekend if at all possible.

Please enjoy and pics and share your thoughts. BTW, its hard as hell to photo nickel firearms, but I did the best I could. :embarassed:

Thanks!

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/cutillo_2011/023-5.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/cutillo_2011/039-2.jpg

bac1023
07-25-2012, 12:41
Here are a couple pics of the slide so you can clearly see the markings. :cool:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/cutillo_2011/IMG_0072.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/cutillo_2011/IMG_0075.jpg

RustyShackelford
07-25-2012, 12:43
Well it sure looks pretty neat. I guess I have to read up on it's functions vs other similar pistols. I am interested in your range reviews/pics.

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 13:00
From what you wrote about the Wolf, it seems like a very high quality pistol for a great price. It's collectible worthy for sure!

Congrats on a great find :thumbsup:

bac1023
07-25-2012, 14:46
Thanks guys :cool:

bac1023
07-25-2012, 16:36
I guess I have to read up on it's functions vs other similar pistols. I am interested in your range reviews/pics.

I'm also looking forward to comparing it with some of my other high end/target 9mms.

WiskyT
07-25-2012, 17:55
I wish you bought one and posted pics of it back when CDNN was giving them away. I'd have gotten one.

I would contact Mec-Gar. They are a great company to deal with and you never know what they may have lying in a back room somewhere.

bac1023
07-25-2012, 18:51
I wish you bought one and posted pics of it back when CDNN was giving them away. I'd have gotten one.

I would contact Mec-Gar. They are a great company to deal with and you never know what they may have lying in a back room somewhere.

Thanks.

Yeah, once the company went belly up, they had a fire sale on them for a while. It didn't last too long, because there wasn't many built.

This is the only one I've ever seen. The thread I started back in April is proof of that. I didn't even know what the hell I was looking at. :animlol: :embarassed:

Raven1967
07-25-2012, 19:15
That is one nice looking pistol,I never saw one of those before.I bet its a smooth shooter.

ronin.45
07-25-2012, 19:52
I'm thinking the same thing as WiskyT, call Mec-Gar. They may have a few sitting in a box somewhere that they couldn't sell.

As I said in the original thread, it is a nice addition to your 9mm collection.

bac1023
07-25-2012, 20:41
That is one nice looking pistol,I never saw one of those before.I bet its a smooth shooter.

Thanks

I'm looking forward to finding out.

stolenphot0
07-25-2012, 20:44
pretty neat looking pistol. Hope its everything you expected.

bmoore
07-25-2012, 20:57
Congrats Bac on a very unique pistola. Looks very very very tight. First glance gives me 3rd gen Smith auto mixed with some CZ.

bac1023
07-25-2012, 21:06
Congrats Bac on a very unique pistola. Looks very very very tight. First glance gives me 3rd gen Smith auto mixed with some CZ.

Thanks

It is extremely tight. I can't wait to get to the range. :supergrin:

fnfalman
07-26-2012, 08:38
Damn, that's one ugly mofo.

bac1023
07-26-2012, 08:52

:animlol:

I never said it was a beauty, but it has cool factor. :cool:

Its certainly a well built handgun.

SigFTW
07-26-2012, 10:00

I think its a very good looking pistol. :supergrin:
The more I look at it the more I like it. I guess I have strange taste.:dunno:

bac1023
07-26-2012, 10:04

I like it just because its so exotic looking.

glockrex
07-26-2012, 15:36
Congrats! Fascinating, I've never heard of that gun before or seen that type of action on a pistol that is not a .22. Let us know how it shoots!

bac1023
07-26-2012, 18:50
Congrats! Fascinating, I've never heard of that gun before or seen that type of action on a pistol that is not a .22. Let us know how it shoots!

I hadn't ever heard of it either...

lifesizepotato
08-04-2012, 13:47
Here is a half-assed review by the same person. Since his gun is blued, you can see the markings a bit better. However, the markings on his gun are slightly different than mine.

My review of the Wolf Ultramatic SV - an Austrian fixed-barrel pistol - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYaPUuN32lQ)

So, in your esteemed opinion, Brian, is there something I should have done to make my video full-assed? I'd at least like it to be 3/4 assed, if possible

I spent a lot of time researching the gun before making that video (in multiple languages, btw), and as you know, there is virtually no information out there about them. In fact, everything YOU apparently know about them is what I said in the video. Did I leave something out?

I make my videos to share both the history of the unique guns in my collection as well as my experiences with them, and I do the best I can at that. I spend a lot of time researching and then editing them to keep them from being over-long but to keep them informative. I don't intend for them to be entertainment in Hickok45 fashion, but rather as sort of a video reference library for people who many times will never even see the things in real life. Would you prefer I prattle on for 45+ minutes like Nutnfancy?

I'm very aware of your reputation here and on other gun boards (and I admire your collection of handguns), and I mean no disrespect, but I don't appreciate you implying that I just slapped that video together on a whim one afternoon and considered it "done."

I also look forward to hearing your fully-assed review on the gun, mostly because I haven't really come across anyone else's first-hand experience with them and I respect your opinions on handguns.

bac1023
08-06-2012, 10:29
So, in your esteemed opinion, Brian, is there something I should have done to make my video full-assed? I'd at least like it to be 3/4 assed, if possible

I spent a lot of time researching the gun before making that video (in multiple languages, btw), and as you know, there is virtually no information out there about them. In fact, everything YOU apparently know about them is what I said in the video. Did I leave something out?

I make my videos to share both the history of the unique guns in my collection as well as my experiences with them, and I do the best I can at that. I spend a lot of time researching and then editing them to keep them from being over-long but to keep them informative. I don't intend for them to be entertainment in Hickok45 fashion, but rather as sort of a video reference library for people who many times will never even see the things in real life. Would you prefer I prattle on for 45+ minutes like Nutnfancy?

I'm very aware of your reputation here and on other gun boards (and I admire your collection of handguns), and I mean no disrespect, but I don't appreciate you implying that I just slapped that video together on a whim one afternoon and considered it "done."

I also look forward to hearing your fully-assed review on the gun, mostly because I haven't really come across anyone else's first-hand experience with them and I respect your opinions on handguns.

Wow. You joined up for that?

Listen, I apologize and I also appreciate your compliments.

Saying what I said was wrong. I get a bit overzealous at times, but there was no disrespect meant. I actually haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I will at some point very soon.

lifesizepotato
08-06-2012, 10:46
I've always lurked here on and off, but just never felt compelled to sign up. Had to defend my honor! ;)

I usually ignore hater comments on my videos, but since I envy your collection and appreciate your opinions on guns, it struck a nerve more than usual. No hard feelings.

Also, I sincerely am looking forward to your thoughts on shooting the Ultramatic. I hope yours is more reliable than mine, which stovepipes at least once a mag.

Wow. You joined up for that?

Listen, I apologize and I also appreciate your compliments.

Saying what I said was wrong. I get a bit overzealous at times, but there was no disrespect meant. I actually haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I will at some point very soon.

bac1023
08-06-2012, 11:02
I've always lurked here on and off, but just never felt compelled to sign up. Had to defend my honor! ;)

I usually ignore hater comments on my videos, but since I envy your collection and appreciate your opinions on guns, it struck a nerve more than usual. No hard feelings.

Also, I sincerely am looking forward to your thoughts on shooting the Ultramatic. I hope yours is more reliable than mine, which stovepipes at least once a mag.

Bryan,

I feel like a horse's ass for my comment. I don't even have the gumption to post YT videos, so who in the hell am I to make remarks like that, lol?

Anyway, I appreciate your kind words. Since you're here now, why not stick around? Its a great forum with a tremendous amount of knowledge and good folks.

Its always nice to see a fellow gun enthusist who shares my passion for the obscure handguns you don't see often. Please post some pics of your other stuff as well. I'd love to see it on GT.

:wavey:

...by the way, Brian is spelled with an "I", not a "Y". :tongueout:

Veedubklown
08-06-2012, 15:28
:animlol:

I never said it was a beauty, but it has cool factor. :cool:

Its certainly a well built handgun.

I agree with Sig, I think it's beautiful, especially in the duotone. It resembles the love child of a CZ and a 1911, and I don't think there's anything there to not love.

Great find bac, grats!

bac1023
08-06-2012, 15:42
I agree with Sig, I think it's beautiful, especially in the duotone. It resembles the love child of a CZ and a 1911, and I don't think there's anything there to not love.

Great find bac, grats!

Thanks, my friend. :cool:

lifesizepotato
08-06-2012, 22:50
Thought I'd offer up a photo of my Ultramatic while I'm here. We can make this the de facto hub for Ultramatics on the internet. Just having Bac's photos doubled the amount available online!

http://i.imgur.com/qPUIW.jpg

I think it looks pretty boss in the blue finish with wood grips. Mine's regrettably in 40S&W, but I hope to come across one in 9mm some day.

Here's a close-up of the bolt locked open:

http://i.imgur.com/pgE4Y.jpg

bac1023
08-07-2012, 04:29
Very nice pics - I think I like the looks of the blued model better.

I definitely getting to the range very soon and will report back. I'm wondering if the 9mm version will be any more reliable. :dunno:

Any idea what's different about yours (other than the finish and the caliber)? I'm just curious why yours says "Competition" on it. It may just be different years of production, as the serial numbers and other markings seem quite different as well.

I really know next to nothing about these pistols.

MarcDW
08-07-2012, 05:21
There are several generations of this pistol.
The last one is the "Wolf". The name comes from Mr. Wolf who financed this last version and lost a lot of money on this project.
The Ultramatic had always function problems and that is the reason this pistol never amounted too much.
The concept is a nice one and if I had an Ultramatic, I would keep it as a show pice.

cpl.mooney
01-03-2013, 08:40
Hey guys, just thought I would share in the glory of Wolf Ultramatics! I found one yesterday! Beautiful condition, its the dual tone blue/stainless 9mm. I will be posting some pictures of it soon, after I try to decipher the manual on cleaning the thing.

bac1023
01-03-2013, 13:47
Hey guys, just thought I would share in the glory of Wolf Ultramatics! I found one yesterday! Beautiful condition, its the dual tone blue/stainless 9mm. I will be posting some pictures of it soon, after I try to decipher the manual on cleaning the thing.

Awesome! :cool:

Congrats on a VERY cool pistol. I only had mine to the range once, but the trigger is amazing.

The manual is not real easy to read, but I'm sure you'll get it.

:welcome:, by the way. Did this thread bring you to GT?

Dubble-Tapper
01-03-2013, 13:57
cool find Bac!

it does look like a 1911, a smith 5906, and a CZ had an orgy, and this was the offspring. very unique, i wouldnt say ugly, but very different.

cpl.mooney
01-03-2013, 14:31
Awesome! :cool:

Congrats on a VERY cool pistol. I only had mine to the range once, but the trigger is amazing.

The manual is not real easy to read, but I'm sure you'll get it.

:welcome:, by the way. Did this thread bring you to GT?

Bac1023, yes it was. Did a google search and this is what I came up with. Thanks for starting it!

bac1023
01-03-2013, 15:26
Bac1023, yes it was. Did a google search and this is what I came up with. Thanks for starting it!

Glad to hear :)

Yeah, a Google search doesn't bring up much on this pistol. I look forward to seeing pics of yours. :cool:

ca survivor
01-03-2013, 16:23
Congrats!

bac1023
01-03-2013, 22:01
cool find Bac!

it does look like a 1911, a smith 5906, and a CZ had an orgy, and this was the offspring. very unique, i wouldnt say ugly, but very different.
Thanks

Different would be an understatement. ;)

cpl.mooney
01-04-2013, 07:51
Ok, keep in mind I haven't cleaned it yet. But here ya go.

SigFTW
01-04-2013, 07:58
Nice find!!

bac1023
01-04-2013, 08:09
Ok, keep in mind I haven't cleaned it yet. But here ya go.

Looks great

They are very well built pistols. I look forward to your shooting impressions. I really love how precise the trigger feels. :cool:

Old Bobby
01-05-2013, 12:20
Hi Guys, Congrats on owning a Wolf Ultra. I purchased mine from CDNN in July 2010. My main concern about this pistol is the Ad states that the pistol is not to be fired. Also stamped onto the frame is the words, " prototype do not fire". It has serial numbers and I have of course registered it. Is this message on or with any one else's gun? I really want to shoot this gun. But I am concerned about the value or possible consequences of shooting it.

Old Bobby
01-05-2013, 12:38
On a post Script, it is a 9mm wolf ultra matic sv, I also received a snazzy trigger lock and a set of rubber grips. And was hardly given away through CDNN

bac1023
01-05-2013, 13:01
Where on the frame is that stamped?

Mine shows nothing of the sort. I just had mine at the range a couple months ago.

bac1023
01-05-2013, 18:23
Wow, that's two new GT members from this thread.

Very cool :cool:

Old Bobby
01-05-2013, 18:46
the Prototype stamp is right side of the pistol just above the wood grip. Same side intrac Knox TN which is more than likely the importer.
CDnn ad stated no warranty sold as collectable only , not to be fired. Fall Volume 2009-4 pg 7. full page ad for the Wolf Ultramatic. cost $ 399.99 + tax and shipping And of course juice money for the FFL holder @ 10%.
I think the do not shoot is for liability , no dealers, no longer a company that manufactures handguns, no spare or replacement parts.

cpl.mooney
01-05-2013, 19:53
No stamps on mine of that sort. Just the basic's everyone has. Sounds interesting though! Pictures by chance.

cpl.mooney
01-05-2013, 20:17
Looks great

They are very well built pistols. I look forward to your shooting impressions. I really love how precise the trigger feels. :cool:

Well I got out to the ranch today and shot the Ultramatic. I love the feel of the pistol in my hands. It looks great and is extremely accurate. That is when the pistol actually cycled. :crying:I was disappointed today. I have read where the Wolf is fairly unreliable but I was hoping mine was different. Nothing to get to upset about. The pistol is still a collector. If I need something that I can rely on everyday at work to cycle 100% every time I have my G-21 for that.

So, the problems are as follows. The Wolf would cycle every other round. The followup round wouldn't feed all the way up the ramp. Then I would try a different magazine and all 18 rounds would fire just fine. I would try a 10 round magazine and once again, a couple would fire, several wouldn't feed. I would try the same magazine again and it would be just fine. I also had several stovepipe malfunctions. Tomorrow I'm going to break out the dremel tool and do some polishing on the ramp, bolt face, etc...

Do you guys have any other suggestions. I would like it to be fairly reliable. Just so I can say, "Yes it shoots just fine" to my friends. There is no way I'm getting rid of it, to much fun to look at for that. When I cleaned it I used a fair amount of oil, dry barrel though as per the manual. I am going to make a video/photo slide show on the disassemble and cleaning procedure for the wolf. I'll post on youtube or something like that later. Wish there was a better more in depth manual on full disassemble of the bolt and firing pin housing. I am going to try a higher quality of ammo though. Does anyone have a good brand you use that maybe you have better luck with out of your wolf.

I am also thinking the magazine springs may be weak. From sitting for the last 13 years or so. And who knows how long the previous owners left the magazine loaded.

So, over all I love the pistol. Looks awesome, feels awesome. When it does cycle it shoots amazingly. Very high quality build. Wish there was more information online about them.

bac1023
01-05-2013, 20:56
the Prototype stamp is right side of the pistol just above the wood grip. Same side intrac Knox TN which is more than likely the importer.
CDnn ad stated no warranty sold as collectable only , not to be fired. Fall Volume 2009-4 pg 7. full page ad for the Wolf Ultramatic. cost $ 399.99 + tax and shipping And of course juice money for the FFL holder @ 10%.
I think the do not shoot is for liability , no dealers, no longer a company that manufactures handguns, no spare or replacement parts.

Maybe that's how CDNN was selling them so cheap. I'm really not sure.

I don't think it has anything to do with liability. There are plenty of handguns sold in which the company is no longer in business. I own quite a few.

bac1023
01-05-2013, 21:08
Well I got out to the ranch today and shot the Ultramatic. I love the feel of the pistol in my hands. It looks great and is extremely accurate. That is when the pistol actually cycled. :crying:I was disappointed today. I have read where the Wolf is fairly unreliable but I was hoping mine was different. Nothing to get to upset about. The pistol is still a collector. If I need something that I can rely on everyday at work to cycle 100% every time I have my G-21 for that.

So, the problems are as follows. The Wolf would cycle every other round. The followup round wouldn't feed all the way up the ramp. Then I would try a different magazine and all 18 rounds would fire just fine. I would try a 10 round magazine and once again, a couple would fire, several wouldn't feed. I would try the same magazine again and it would be just fine. I also had several stovepipe malfunctions. Tomorrow I'm going to break out the dremel tool and do some polishing on the ramp, bolt face, etc...

Do you guys have any other suggestions. I would like it to be fairly reliable. Just so I can say, "Yes it shoots just fine" to my friends. There is no way I'm getting rid of it, to much fun to look at for that. When I cleaned it I used a fair amount of oil, dry barrel though as per the manual. I am going to make a video/photo slide show on the disassemble and cleaning procedure for the wolf. I'll post on youtube or something like that later. Wish there was a better more in depth manual on full disassemble of the bolt and firing pin housing. I am going to try a higher quality of ammo though. Does anyone have a good brand you use that maybe you have better luck with out of your wolf.

I am also thinking the magazine springs may be weak. From sitting for the last 13 years or so. And who knows how long the previous owners left the magazine loaded.

So, over all I love the pistol. Looks awesome, feels awesome. When it does cycle it shoots amazingly. Very high quality build. Wish there was more information online about them.

Honestly, other than trying some new mag springs, I wouldn't mess with it. I experienced feeding problems with mine as well. Maybe not as bad as you're describing, but it certainly wasn't perfect.

They are what they are, basically curios at this point. They are very finely crafted pistols and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot or just look at. Its got one of the best triggers of any handgun I own. They were $2000 pistols back in the mid 1990's, but obviously the design proved to be flawed despite all the high quality parts and hand craftsmanship that went into it. I just find it incredibly interesting.

Old Bobby
01-07-2013, 12:54
Hi guys here are my pics of my Wolf Ultramatic.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230231&stc=1&d=1357588227

http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230232&stc=1&d=1357588335

cpl.mooney
01-07-2013, 13:30
Very nice Old Bobby. I bet its hard to let it sit there tempting you with that prototype stamp on it! :-)

Old Bobby
01-07-2013, 15:22
Oh Yes, I want to shoot it Bad, a bit worried about my hand though I might need it.
Cpl Mooney, +loads . I like Tulammo Russian made Steel Case non corrosive and it is cheap. I use have used it in all my 9's for target. and my 762x39 AK. . Never had any malfunctions with the ammo. always cycled well. Its all hard ball still fun to shoot.
The manual I have is dated 1995, It says "the 1st thousand rounds due to tight machining tolerances use high pressure factory load ammunition. For the purpose of smoothing the moving parts only."
Might be just a matter of breaking it in I guess. At least you get to shoot yours! It's going on my bucket list on the last line, of "Things I will Do before I die".

Old Bobby
01-07-2013, 15:27
My Other Austrian Steel, Broomhandle Mauser c 96 I didn't hesitate to shoot and it's 100 years old.
Feeling unmanned by those 4 little words on the Wolf.

bac1023
01-08-2013, 06:41
Feeling unmanned by those 4 little words on the Wolf.

I just can't see how CDNN was selling a different gun than the one I have. Of course, having those words stamped on the frames would explain why they were selling $2000 guns for a fifth of the price.

cpl.mooney
01-08-2013, 07:43
I just can't see how CDNN was selling a different gun than the one I have. Of course, having those words stamped on the frames would explain why they were selling $2000 guns for a fifth of the price.

Do you suppose that the stamp was something Wolf did when they went bust or something CDNN did when they were selling them? I paid $700 for mine, found it on the facebook classifieds in my home town. Luckiest find for me to this date. I know some people will mock me about paying $$$ for a pistol that isn't very reliable and the company is no longer available for parts or information. But you know what???? Chicken butt. I love it and will continue to love it until my daughter is old enough to have a collectors piece and safe of her own. Not to mention my wife loves it! Bonus there since she shoots an Kk. :cool:

bac1023
01-08-2013, 10:38
That's about what I paid for mine as well.

As for the stamp, I'm really not sure what the deal was. :dunno:

WiskyT
01-08-2013, 14:29
There could be good reason they stamped some and not others. Some could be defective. Or, they all could be defective and some got out before they realized they had a problem. I'd hate to catch that bolt/slide/whatever in the teeth.

bac1023
01-08-2013, 16:32
There could be good reason they stamped some and not others. Some could be defective. Or, they all could be defective and some got out before they realized they had a problem. I'd hate to catch that bolt/slide/whatever in the teeth.

It wasn't a reliable design, which is why it failed. However, they weren't defective from a safety standpoint. I imagine if CDNN sold one with the stamp, all the guns they sold had it. They were all the same price.

I believe it was just leftover stock.

WiskyT
01-08-2013, 16:40
It wasn't a reliable design, which is why it failed. However, they weren't defective from a safety standpoint. I imagine if CDNN sold one with the stamp, all the guns they sold had it. They were all the same price.

I believe it was just leftover stock.

I'm pretty sure CDNN had a notation in their add, at the time, that said what the stamp says. They sell lots of old stock, but that's the only one I remember seeing with that caveat.

I honestly don't know if it's a safety issue or not. Lots of people fire '03 Springfields with SN below 800K. The NRA specifically warns people not to do it. I'm glad mine is 900K.

If I owned one, I would either make a safe (no pun intended) queen or try to find out more about the specifics of the issue. Maybe CDNN can give you some info?

bac1023
01-08-2013, 17:09
Yeah, I'm not sure. I never heard one claim or rumor that these guns were unsafe in any way. All I ever heard in any information about them is that they're high end, high quality pistols, that were extremely good shooters. I also heard the design's reliability is suspect. However, never anything about a safety issue with them.

It could just have been CDNN's way of selling a product they couldn't possibly stand behind, due to the company being out of business. :dunno:

Mine felt solid as a rock at the range. Its very soft shooting. The gun is built like a tank.

bac1023
01-08-2013, 17:12
I'm pretty sure CDNN had a notation in their add, at the time, that said what the stamp says.

...which explains why they sold them so cheaply. They probably got them for next to nothing from the failing company and didn't want to have to deal with any problems with them.

The stamp pretty much fixed that.

I think that's what happened. That would make sense to me at least.

WiskyT
01-08-2013, 17:16
...which explains why they sold them so cheaply. They probably got them for next to nothing from the failing company and didn't want to have to deal with any problems with them.

The stamp pretty much fixed that.

I think that's what happened. That would make sense to me at least.

That makes sense, but it would have been better for them to note it on the receipt, or to have the buyer sign off somehow, rather than to stamp it on the gun itself. CDNN wouldn't owe anybody anything down the line if they had a paper on record showing that they original buyer was aware of it's flaws. To stamp it on the gun itself seems like it might be more safety oriented.

bac1023
01-08-2013, 17:28
That makes sense, but it would have been better for them to note it on the receipt, or to have the buyer sign off somehow, rather than to stamp it on the gun itself. CDNN wouldn't owe anybody anything down the line if they had a paper on record showing that they original buyer was aware of it's flaws. To stamp it on the gun itself seems like it might be more safety oriented.

It was probably something to do with the company going under and sold them to CDNN cheap with the stamp as part of the agreement. They were going bankrupt and wanted to get rid of their inventory quick and easy without any future hassles.

While info on Wolf pistols isn't exactly plentiful, there is some out there. I never heard one thing about a safety issue. Usually something like that takes precedence over anything else you hear about a gun.

From what I've heard and can see for myself, they are a flawed design from a reliability standpoint, but are built from very high quality parts and shoot extremely well. Reliablity notwithstanding, they feel like a very high quality piece in hand.

I'm sure the other Wolf owners here will agree with that last sentence.

WiskyT
01-08-2013, 17:37
It was probably something to do with the company going under and sold them to CDNN cheap with the stamp as part of the agreement. They were going bankrupt and wanted to get rid of their inventory quick and easy without any future hassles.

While info on Wolf pistols isn't exactly plentiful, there is some out there. I never heard one thing about a safety issue. Usually something like that takes precedence over anything else you hear about a gun.

From what I've heard and can see for myself, they are a flawed design from a reliability standpoint, but are built from very high quality parts and shoot extremely well. Reliablity notwithstanding, they feel like a very high quality piece in hand.

I'm sure the other Wolf owners here will agree with that last sentence.

That makes sense. Kind of a "field expedient" from a business standpoint. It's better than hitting them with a chopsaw and selling them as "parts", but gets the importer/manufacturer off the hook from any implied warranty issues or ambulance chasers should someone put a round through their foot etc 30 years from now.

It's kind of like automotive performance parts sold "for off-road use only", yeah right.

bac1023
01-08-2013, 17:54
That makes sense. Kind of a "field expedient" from a business standpoint. It's better than hitting them with a chopsaw and selling them as "parts", but gets the importer/manufacturer off the hook from any implied warranty issues or ambulance chasers should someone put a round through their foot etc 30 years from now.

It's kind of like automotive performance parts sold "for off-road use only", yeah right.

Exactly

If it were truly a safety issue with these guns, it would be known. As that would have surely been the reason the company and gun failed. I never heard anything negative about the gun other than its reliability. You usually here of other issues with small companies that come and go, such as D&D with the Bren Ten (frames cracking, no mags, etc). With the Wolf, all I ever heard is that it wasn't the most reliable gun and anyone paying $2000+ (in the mid 1990s, mind you) would have expected much better.

Believe me, if I bought a pistol for $2000 in the mid 1990's (or even today, for that matter), I would expect great reliability to go with great accuracy and high quality. In that sense, the Wolf didn't deliver and the gun and company failed. They were a very costly pistol to build and you can see why when you handle them. High production costs and angry customers aren't exactly a good recipe for success, especially for a small boutique company. However, I never heard a single word about the pistol being unsafe. I think they saw their fate and blew them out to CDNN with the stamp being part of the deal.

The quality of the Wolf pistol rivals any other auto I own. Its that good. However, for a high end gun to be successful, quality needs to equal reliability. The Wolf didn't deliver and the rest is history.

Quack
03-30-2013, 07:28
Go figure, I do a Google search for one of these and of course Brian has one.

Anyways, CDNN has them again.

WiskyT
03-30-2013, 07:32

Not to drift too far off the thread, but how do you get CDNN info like that? They don't post their catalog online at this point due to supply problems and I miss browsing through stuff like you just posted. Do they snail-mail a paper copy of their catalog?

bac1023
03-30-2013, 07:42

The problem with the models sold from CDNN is that they're all stamped as non shooting prototypes. To me, that pretty much ruins the collectability factor they're advertising. I know I wouldn't buy one of those.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal was, but I had speculated in the above posts a few months back.

Quack
03-30-2013, 07:45
Not to drift too far off the thread, but how do you get CDNN info like that? They don't post their catalog online at this point due to supply problems and I miss browsing through stuff like you just posted. Do they snail-mail a paper copy of their catalog?

daily emails from them.

WiskyT
03-30-2013, 07:47
daily emails from them.

Thank you, I'll get signed up.

Quack
03-30-2013, 07:48
That suck's that they are stamped.

bac1023
03-30-2013, 08:03
That suck's that they are stamped.

Yes it does, Don. Again, I really don't think they're any different from mine other than that.

It was a flawed design from a reliability standpoint, but they're very well built, high quality pistols. The trigger is amazingly precise and certainly one of the best non-1911 triggers I ever felt.

It's almost worth the $400 just to see the design up close. It's that cool. :)

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 20:48
Hi - Any progress on the assembly/disassembly video? I recently acquired an LV in 38 super, but no manual. Best I can figure, field disassembly is along the lines of a cross between a Desert Eagle and some variant of a Mauser 96, but not really keen on testing this theory without a manual.
Also, have you considered trying 38 Supercomp/TJ/Lapua cased rounds? Seems they were originally designed to improve feeding for 38 super race guns. Rim is slightly smaller diameter, but thicker. Have not had time to get out to the range to test the few boxes I received from Atlanta Arms & Ammo, but hope to soon.

lifesizepotato
01-31-2014, 20:51
Ohhh, man, the disassembly on these things. I'll see if I can scan the manual this weekend and upload it so you and others can download it. It makes the Benelli B76 look intuitive.

Which, incidentally, is the reason I've been slacking about making a field strip video. I've done it once, and don't look forward to the second time. :)

bac1023
01-31-2014, 20:56
Hi - Any progress on the assembly/disassembly video? I recently acquired an LV in 38 super, but no manual. Best I can figure, field disassembly is along the lines of a cross between a Desert Eagle and some variant of a Mauser 96, but not really keen on testing this theory without a manual.
Also, have you considered trying 38 Supercomp/TJ/Lapua cased rounds? Seems they were originally designed to improve feeding for 38 super race guns. Rim is slightly smaller diameter, but thicker. Have not had time to get out to the range to test the few boxes I received from Atlanta Arms & Ammo, but hope to soon.

Wow, that's two members brought to GT by this thread...

:welcome: and congrats on a very cool pistol. :cool:

Disassembly is not for the faint of heart. :faint:

lifesizepotato
01-31-2014, 21:00
Yeah, on second thought, maybe I'll trade you scans of the manual for some pics of your Ultramatic in 38 Super. :cool:

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 21:09
/Users/jeffyale/Desktop/pix118483519.jpg

/Users/jeffyale/Desktop/pix790689603.jpg

If you're still in the mood for a 9mm version:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390570981

Tad more than $400, but that's the way the economy bounces............

bac1023
01-31-2014, 21:12
Yeah, I've seen a couple on GB lately...

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 21:13
Let's try that again -
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=385874466

bac1023
01-31-2014, 21:19
Let's try that again -
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=385874466

Do you have a Photobucket account?

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 21:19
My receiving FFL tried to rack the slide a-la 1911 a couple of times, then handed it to me and asked for a demo....

bac1023
01-31-2014, 21:20
Ohhh, man, the disassembly on these things. I'll see if I can scan the manual this weekend and upload it so you and others can download it. It makes the Benelli B76 look intuitive.

Which, incidentally, is the reason I've been slacking about making a field strip video. I've done it once, and don't look forward to the second time. :)

Field stripping the SV on camera is not something I'd want to try...

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 21:21
Nope, sorry. Kinda new at this. Pics on Gunbroker item #385874466

primamateria1
01-31-2014, 21:53

Maine
01-31-2014, 21:56
Congrats Brian, that's pretty interesting, I'd love to shoot one. Looking forward to hearing how it goes at the range. Enjoy!

lifesizepotato
01-31-2014, 22:30
Field stripping the SV on camera is not something I'd want to try...

Yeah, making videos is often pretty high-effort/low-reward, and especially when it comes to nightmarish field strip vids on an obscure gun nobody owns or cares about.

If you're still in the mood for a 9mm version:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=390570981

Tad more than $400, but that's the way the economy bounces............

That one's been relisted for a while. I'd like to find a 9mm for myself (mine's in 40 :upeyes: ) but it would need to look exactly like the one I have now - all blued, wood grips, shorter barrel, etc.

bac1023
02-01-2014, 12:12
That one's been relisted for a while. I'd like to find a 9mm for myself (mine's in 40 :upeyes: ) but it would need to look exactly like the one I have now - all blued, wood grips, shorter barrel, etc.
The all nickel models are cool as well, LSP, though they seem to be pretty scarce...

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 13:33
Yeah, on second thought, maybe I'll trade you scans of the manual for some pics of your Ultramatic in 38 Super. :cool:
How many pics would you like? Just finished taking some, including some of what appears to be an intentional safety feature (not a design flaw). Like a half hammer catch position, but notch is on the underside of the bolt.

lifesizepotato
02-01-2014, 14:46
How many pics would you like? Just finished taking some, including some of what appears to be an intentional safety feature (not a design flaw). Like a half hammer catch position, but notch is on the underside of the bolt.

I was just teasing, mostly. I wanted to see some pics of your Ultramatic, and you posted some. :)

I'll bring the manual in to work on Monday and scan it there, and post a link here. This thread does seem to be the internet's go-to spot for Wolf Ultramatic info. :wavey:

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 14:47

bac1023
02-01-2014, 14:51

Look great

They are very well built pistols.

lifesizepotato
02-01-2014, 14:51
Great pics! That's a nice looking Ultramatic!

It seems like there are two types of Ultramatics - ones that look nice, like that one, and ones that look like beat up parts bin specials.

I'd love to hear your shooting impressions, especially regarding the reliability. Mine rarely cycles a full magazine without a jam.

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 14:54
Thanks for the help on the manual. Higher-resolution pics available, I just didn't want to max out with one pic. Definitely different than yours, probably monthly evolution of original concepts.

The hammer catch is a little weird. Couldn't see it in the video you did on yours.
Bolt moves too slow, catch catches. Pull back the bolt "smartly" and release, no problems. About a millimeter difference between the two conditions. Maybe it's there for some other well-meaning Austrian reason..........

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 14:56
Thanks. Now all I have to do is clean off my grubby fingerprints.......

Well, and get to the range...... So I can dirty it up again.......

lifesizepotato
02-01-2014, 15:00
I was just thinking about it, and really, if mine were in 9mm and close to 100% reliable, it would be one of my favorite guns.

Mine may have the same quirk as yours with the bolt, too. If I let it go a little bit short, or slowly, it hangs up. I've tried lubricating it and racking it a bunch of times to smooth it out, but it still catches sort of somewhere if it's not rack sharply, like you say.

bac1023
02-01-2014, 15:03
I was just thinking about it, and really, if mine were in 9mm and close to 100% reliable, it would be one of my favorite guns.

Mine may have the same quirk as yours with the bolt, too. If I let it go a little bit short, or slowly, it hangs up. I've tried lubricating it and racking it a bunch of times to smooth it out, but it still catches sort of somewhere if it's not rack sharply, like you say.

Mine does the same thing with the bolt...

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 15:17
Mine does the same thing with the bolt...
My point exactly. Why would you put something into the design of your pistol that would interfere with the use of said? It's intentionally machined in, and the angle of the back of the hammer meets up nicely with the opposite angle of the notch in the lower bolt parts. So, if it isn't there just to make life miserable for anyone who wants to shoot one, what's it for? Is this a bad design element (hard to believe) or is there something else that we're missing? (unmentioned operating procedure? Wrong positioning of the safety(mine does not click, just smoothly slides into and out of lock)? Special "hidden" button?
Inquiring minds outside of Austria want to know........

WiskyT
02-01-2014, 15:18
Thanks for the help on the manual. Higher-resolution pics available, I just didn't want to max out with one pic. Definitely different than yours, probably monthly evolution of original concepts.

The hammer catch is a little weird. Couldn't see it in the video you did on yours.
Bolt moves too slow, catch catches. Pull back the bolt "smartly" and release, no problems. About a millimeter difference between the two conditions. Maybe it's there for some other well-meaning Austrian reason..........

Okay, this is just a guess, and an uneducated one at best. I'm not familair with this gun or how it operates, but ponder this: The guns are safe to shoot. Along comes the BATFE or some other entity and they determine that under some set of circumstances the gun could run away. Wolf puts the notch in the bolt as a solution but the gun never really gets off the ground as a commercial success. Along comes CDNN who buys up the remaining guns and sells them with the caveat of them being "unsafe" stamped on them to satisfy the entity who demanded the "solution" of the notch being put on the bolt. This way they are sold as "wall-hangers".

Again, this is pure supposition on my part, so don't let it take on a life of it's own.

I just remember the IMI Timberwolf. It was a great concept that was banned by the BATF because the gun was able to be fired with the buttstock removed and therefore was a NFA item. With the buttstock removed, the Timberwolf was under the minimum length for a longarm.

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 15:29

When your bolt does hang up, is it doing so by catching the back of the hammer in that notch, or is it typically catching on the back side of the firing pin bracket (the hook-like lower arm designed to push the hammer back into fully cocked position on recoil) when the bolt tries to return to battery?

bac1023
02-01-2014, 19:33
I got the SV off the shelf tonight after reading the thread. Its such a well machined pistol. I'm still amazed how heavy it is. It weighs 46.8oz unloaded. Its even heavier than my Sig X-Five L1 by half an ounce and the Sig has a huge magwell and beavertail.

In fact, the only service caliber auto I own that's heavier than the SV is my Star Megastar in 45ACP, which weighs 47.6oz.

primamateria1
02-01-2014, 21:23
I got the SV off the shelf tonight after reading the thread. Its such a well machined pistol. I'm still amazed how heavy it is. It weighs 46.8oz unloaded. Its even heavier than my Sig X-Five L1 by half an ounce and the Sig has a huge magwell and beavertail.

In fact, the only service caliber auto I own that's heavier than the SV is my Star Megastar in 45ACP, which weighs 47.6oz.
Buy a Desert Eagle 50, 10 inch barrel, add an optic, insert full magazine, hold at arm's length for a count of 1000.........

bac1023
02-02-2014, 18:42
Buy a Desert Eagle 50, 10 inch barrel, add an optic, insert full magazine, hold at arm's length for a count of 1000.........

My DE is certainly much heavier, but I was just talking about service calibers.

primamateria1
02-02-2014, 21:21
Yeah, I know. But because the 3-6 reviews on the Ultramatic I managed to find before purchasing mine all used the word "heavy" about every third sentence, I lifted my new LV off the FFL's counter expecting a DE-level of weight, only to find myself part of a George Carlin line. The one about when you try to pick up what you think is a really heavy suitcase only to discover it's empty, and for just a split second, you feel REALLY STRONG.....

ca survivor
02-03-2014, 17:27
and another that I never seen before or knew about it, congrats.

bac1023
02-03-2014, 17:51
and another that I never seen before or knew about it, congrats.

Yeah, not something you see at your local shop...

wizard78
02-12-2014, 09:32
I didn't get to read the whole thread but welcome to the Ultramatic "club". Mine is the Competition model and I was lucky enough to get the case and 3, 18 round mags with it. Has optics rail, compensator and I believe a little longer barrel. Thank God the booklet was with pistol else I would have never figured out how to disassemble! Many of these pistols are finicky about ammo and mine was no different. I tested a variety of brands and was lucky enough to find that the inexpensive Winchester White Box and Magtech runs through it perfectly without ANY problems. Enjoy yours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wizard78/Cars/DSC01247.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wizard78/media/Cars/DSC01247.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wizard78/Cars/DSC01250.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wizard78/media/Cars/DSC01250.jpg.html)

lifesizepotato
02-12-2014, 09:43
That's great that you found an ammo that works reliably! Maybe I just need to try a few different brands in mine. Have you shot it a lot, too? I seem to remember the manual suggesting 1000 rounds to break in, so maybe you've just hit that threshold and that's why it's working?

Either way, nice looking Ultramatic! :cool:

bac1023
02-12-2014, 11:59
I didn't get to read the whole thread but welcome to the Ultramatic "club". Mine is the Competition model and I was lucky enough to get the case and 3, 18 round mags with it. Has optics rail, compensator and I believe a little longer barrel. Thank God the booklet was with pistol else I would have never figured out how to disassemble! Many of these pistols are finicky about ammo and mine was no different. I tested a variety of brands and was lucky enough to find that the inexpensive Winchester White Box and Magtech runs through it perfectly without ANY problems. Enjoy yours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wizard78/Cars/DSC01247.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wizard78/media/Cars/DSC01247.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/wizard78/Cars/DSC01250.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wizard78/media/Cars/DSC01250.jpg.html)

Very nice

Glad to hear yours is running fine :)

rv4driver
02-12-2014, 17:07
I for one am really glad this thread was revived, that is one interesting gun.
Different is good, we all get tired of the same-ol same-ol...at least I do.
I'd totally buy one of those just for the WTF factor!

bac1023
02-12-2014, 18:24
I for one am really glad this thread was revived, that is one interesting gun.
Different is good, we all get tired of the same-ol same-ol...at least I do.
I'd totally buy one of those just for the WTF factor!

Yeah, I love the oddball stuff. I especially love the higher end stuff. This pistol is both. :)

lifesizepotato
04-10-2014, 11:45
I took apart my Ultramatic for the second time last night, and it reminded me why I swore I'd never do it again. I'll make a field strip video in the near future while the procedure is still fresh in my mind, but until then, I finally scanned the manual and uploaded it to my site:

http://www.matebafan.com/ultramatic-manual.pdf

Trust me, if you own one of these and don't have the manual, you won't even begin to be able to put it back together, and neither will your gunsmith. I'm pretty sure the guy who designed it is an alien hyperbeing who exists in 5 dimensions.

I posted once before in this thread that I'd upload the manual, and after field stripping it last night, I felt bad for not doing it sooner! This is the internet's go-to for Ultramatics, I think, so it's probably the best place to post the scan. :)

Here's a quick cell phone pic, too, to use as a reference for what the inside should look like if you get into trouble:

http://i.imgur.com/L7v9nDq.jpg

bac1023
04-10-2014, 12:18
I took apart my Ultramatic for the second time last night, and it reminded me why I swore I'd never do it again. I'll make a field strip video in the near future while the procedure is still fresh in my mind, but until then, I finally scanned the manual and uploaded it to my site:

http://www.matebafan.com/ultramatic-manual.pdf

Trust me, if you own one of these and don't have the manual, you won't even begin to be able to put it back together, and neither will your gunsmith. I'm pretty sure the guy who designed it is an alien hyperbeing who exists in 5 dimensions.

I posted once before in this thread that I'd upload the manual, and after field stripping it last night, I felt bad for not doing it sooner! This is the internet's go-to for Ultramatics, I think, so it's probably the best place to post the scan. :)

Here's a quick cell phone pic, too, to use as a reference for what the inside should look like if you get into trouble:

http://i.imgur.com/L7v9nDq.jpg

I sincerely appreciate your help with the Ultramatic last night, my friend. Between all the PMs and picture taking, it took me about three hours to get the damn thing back together! Without your help, it would still be in pieces now.

I'm at the range with it as I type this and so far, it's put 20 trouble free rounds down range. I'll keep shooting it and report back tonight.

Albeit, extremely complex, the gun is top of the line in terms of quality. It's like a Swiss watch inside...

lifesizepotato
04-10-2014, 12:22
I sincerely appreciate your help with the Ultramatic last night, my friend. Between all the PMs and picture taking, it took me about three hpurs to het the damn thing back together! Without your help, it would still be on pieces now.

I'm at the range with it as I type this and so far, it's put 20 trouble free rounds down range. I'll keep shooting it and report back tonight.

Albeit, extremely complex, the gun is top of the line in terms of quality. It's like a Swiss watch inside...

No problem, B-rye. :)

I agree about the craftsmanship of the gun. While I want to hate the insane complexity of it, I'm honestly just impressed with the level of brains it must have taken to engineer and machine all that stuff, and to such a high degree of precise fitment.

I hope you can put more rounds through it without trouble. The rarest Ultramatic of them all is one that can shoot 100 rounds straight without a jam. :whistling:

bac1023
04-10-2014, 12:46
No problem, B-rye. :)

I agree about the craftsmanship of the gun. While I want to hate the insane complexity of it, I'm honestly just impressed with the level of brains it must have taken to engineer and machine all that stuff, and to such a high degree of precise fitment.

I hope you can put more rounds through it without trouble. The rarest Ultramatic of them all is one that can shoot 100 rounds straight without a jam. :whistling:

I'm up to 40 rounds, no issues other than the bolt not locking back once. :)

I'm shooting between the Ultramatic and a bunch of others. I have my 952 and Walther P88 Competition, among some others.

Another cool day!!

lifesizepotato
04-10-2014, 12:53
Looking forward to pics of everything you brought and a range report. :)

(Probably not in this Ultramatic thread, of course...)

bac1023
04-10-2014, 13:35
Looking forward to pics of everything you brought and a range report. :)

(Probably not in this Ultramatic thread, of course...)

No problem. The place was fairly busy when I got here. Now it's just a few people. Beautiful day for shooting.

So far I've had exactly one malfunction between everything I brought. That was one fail to feed by my FN Hi Power GP Competition. Everything else 100% so far, including my Glock 17L, which acted up a little yesterday in the first few shots.

bac1023
04-10-2014, 18:48
I just got done cleaning all my handguns from my second awesome range trip in as many days. I field striped the Ultramatic again and all went smooth until I was trying to get the bolt back into the slide in which a 3rd and 4th hand would come in handy.

I figured out after much wrestling how to press the assembly against my stomach and to pull the bolt, press the button and push the whole bolt/barrel assembly in the receiver. Once I did it, I pulled it apart five times and put the bolt back in. I've got it now. :banana:

The Ultramatic performed flawlessly. I shot exactly 85 rounds through it. I had one time where the bolt didn't stay open on the last shot, but that's not a big deal. I shot two bursts of three rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and it didn't flinch. I'm so happy I finally got to enjoy this stellar firearm the way I should have a couple years ago when I bought it. :cool:

It has a great feel to it and the quality is just incredible. Its an amazing pistol. Either I got a real good one or 9mm is the caliber that works for it. It didn't even hint at malfunctioning. It shoots so well, because there's no slide moving. The Ultramatic is really the cat's meow. I'm going to shoot it a lot more going forward. I love it. :wavey:

Bryan, thanks again for your assistance. I was thrilled at how well it performed today. I'll be posting a full range report on everything later tonight or tomorrow morning.

lifesizepotato
04-10-2014, 20:09
The Ultramatic performed flawlessly. I shot exactly 85 rounds through it. I had one time where the bolt didn't stay open on the last shot, but that's not a big deal. I shot two bursts of three rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and it didn't flinch. I'm so happy I finally got to enjoy this stellar firearm the way I should have a couple years ago when I bought it. :cool:

That's great to hear! I can tell mine would be one of my favorite guns, if it weren't for two things: it's in 40S&W, and it can't go through more than 20 rounds without a jam. I guess I should suck it up and buy a couple hundred rounds of 40 to see if it smooths out and starts working better...

Either way, it's definitely a phenomenally well-machined gun, and the design is extremely unique and interesting.

I did the same thing as you last night, once I figured out exactly how it went back together - I took it apart a few more times, and it definitely got easier once I got the hang of it. It's still a bizarre procedure, but it's a little less nightmarish after a few successful attempts. :cool:

bac1023
04-10-2014, 20:28
That's great to hear! I can tell mine would be one of my favorite guns, if it weren't for two things: it's in 40S&W, and it can't go through more than 20 rounds without a jam. I guess I should suck it up and buy a couple hundred rounds of 40 to see if it smooths out and starts working better...

Either way, it's definitely a phenomenally well-machined gun, and the design is extremely unique and interesting.

I did the same thing as you last night, once I figured out exactly how it went back together - I took it apart a few more times, and it definitely got easier once I got the hang of it. It's still a bizarre procedure, but it's a little less nightmarish after a few successful attempts. :cool:
It may sort itself out with some more rounds through it. I have no idea how many rounds were through mine before I bought it, even though its in great condition.

The pistol is an engineering and machining tour de force. Its the kind of gun you can take apart just to study its jewel-like movements and functions. I can't imagine starting with a clean sheet of paper and coming up with a design like that. Its an amazing achievement, as far as I'm concerned.

:wow:

Pier23
04-11-2014, 04:27
Since the slide doesn't move, do you have less reciprocating mass and therefore lessened recoil or muzzle rise?

Yeah, I know muzzle rise is largely a function of bore axis, but top-heavy mass moving would have an effect of some kind also, I would think.

Its a fascinating piece. i would love to see the takedown and reassembly procedure...maybe that other vid has it.

bac1023
04-11-2014, 05:59
Since the slide doesn't move, do you have less reciprocating mass and therefore lessened recoil or muzzle rise?

Yeah, I know muzzle rise is largely a function of bore axis, but top-heavy mass moving would have an effect of some kind also, I would think.

Its a fascinating piece. i would love to see the takedown and reassembly procedure...maybe that other vid has it.

It feels a bit different when shooting compared to pistols with entire slides in motion. Its much more like many rimfires with just its bolt moving back and forth. The Ulltramatic does have a rather high bore axis, but I find the recoil and muzzle flip very mild. The sheer weight of the gun also has a lot to do with it. Its 47oz empty. :shocked:

If LSP can do a video showing the breakdown and reassembly, that would be great. I, for one, don't do videos. However, even if I did, I'm not sure I could do one on the Ultramatic. Its not the kind of gun you can just put on the table and breakdown with just your two hands in one spot. It requires you to push and pull against something to manipulate. You need some serious leverage to do it.

Why the gun is so complicated, I have no idea. However, that's part of what makes it so fascinating. It really took a genius to design and build something so intricate and well machined.