How to suck at your religion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to suck at your religion

Walt_NC
07-25-2012, 13:51
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion?you_are_all_individuals

Vic Hays
07-25-2012, 14:08
Partly good and partially wrong. Just because the author has no faith does not mean that everyone else should share his faithlessness and not seek and find the Truth.

If there is no Truth there is no sense in faith.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing where he went.
11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
11:10 For he looked for a city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

jknight8907
07-25-2012, 14:11
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion?you_are_all_individuals

Yay for broad, sweeping generalizations and half-truths to make your soapbox point seem like the only island of logic in a sea of imbeciles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Syclone538
07-25-2012, 14:40
Partly good and partially wrong. Just because the author has no faith does not mean that everyone else should share his faithlessness and not seek and find the Truth.

If there is no Truth there is no sense in faith.

Faith gets in the way of finding the truth, it tells you that you can stop looking for the truth before you know if you have found it.

GreenDrake
07-25-2012, 14:50
The Nickelback one is hilarious. I also like the dogma at 5 and 25 "yeah and Jesus rode a velociraptor when he defeated jehovah's army of demon tiger monkeys".

Vic Hays
07-25-2012, 15:00
Faith gets in the way of finding the truth, it tells you that you can stop looking for the truth before you know if you have found it.

Open mindedness and understanding go a long way. Being secure in your beliefs goes a long way also.

Norske
07-25-2012, 20:27
By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

Analysis of the world-wide distribution of L1, L2, and L3 Mitochondrial DNA (Africa) versus L3 M-DNA (the rest of the entire planet) proves that all of mankind is not descended from Noah's family alone. :whistling:

What else did the Bible get wrong? :dunno:

Maybe........ALL of it?
:faint:

Vic Hays
07-25-2012, 21:09
Analysis of the world-wide distribution of L1, L2, and L3 Mitochondrial DNA (Africa) versus L3 M-DNA (the rest of the entire planet) proves that all of mankind is not descended from Noah's family alone. :whistling:

What else did the Bible get wrong? :dunno:

Maybe........ALL of it?
:faint:

Depends on whose data and studies you use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

In human genetics, Y-chromosomal Adam (Y-MRCA) is the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) from whom all living people are descended patrilineally (tracing back only along the paternal lines of their family tree). Recent studies report that Y-chromosomal Adam lived as early as around 142,000 years ago [1], older studies estimated Y-MRCA as recent as 60,000 years ago.[2] All living humans are also descended matrilineally from Mitochondrial Eve who is thought to have lived earlier about 190,000 - 200,000 years ago. Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve need not have lived at the same time.

GreenDrake
07-26-2012, 04:28
LOL, say WHAT?

Animal Mother
07-26-2012, 06:26
Depends on whose data and studies you use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

In human genetics, Y-chromosomal Adam (Y-MRCA) is the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) from whom all living people are descended patrilineally (tracing back only along the paternal lines of their family tree). Recent studies report that Y-chromosomal Adam lived as early as around 142,000 years ago [1], older studies estimated Y-MRCA as recent as 60,000 years ago.[2] All living humans are also descended matrilineally from Mitochondrial Eve who is thought to have lived earlier about 190,000 - 200,000 years ago. Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve need not have lived at the same time. How does this do anything to substantiate the Flood/Noah account? This is just the most recent individual that all living humans can be traced to, he was neither the only person alive at that time nor did he necessarily live at the same time, much less in the same place, as the most recent common female ancestor.

Vic Hays
07-26-2012, 11:43
How does this do anything to substantiate the Flood/Noah account? This is just the most recent individual that all living humans can be traced to, he was neither the only person alive at that time nor did he necessarily live at the same time, much less in the same place, as the most recent common female ancestor.

Glad you asked that question. Think hard.

How many people were on the ark? Noah and his family. All of the people on the ark were descended from mitochondrial Eve. All of the people on the Ark produced descendants from Y chromosome Adam who was Noah.

They did not live at the same time and yet they were the ones that can be traced genetically as the male and female ancestors of humanity.

GreenDrake
07-26-2012, 16:36
Uh, Vic....there was no Ark, my friend. Sorry to burst your bubble, there was no flood either, and Noah didn't build it when he was 450 years old.

Vic Hays
07-26-2012, 17:25
Uh, Vic....there was no Ark, my friend. Sorry to burst your bubble, there was no flood either, and Noah didn't build it when he was 450 years old.

How long have you been around? Did you see it happen or not happen?

High-Gear
07-26-2012, 17:40

Its not possible. Two of every animal and insect from the whole planet, diverse food and water requirements, removal of waste material, fresh and salt water life both existing in the same water.

Cavalry Doc
07-26-2012, 17:56

Sometimes. Depends on if your faith is that all the available evidence points toward what you want to believe or not.

That happens more often than you might think.

Norske
07-26-2012, 18:08

Actually, there probably was a "Noah", who had a family, and who had a boat, who survived a major flood that killed each and every other human being the Noah family ever knew.

The inundation of the Black Sea.

About 7,500 years ago.

By the time they came ashore near Mt. Ararat, they thought the world had ended.

But, it was just an exaggeration of their own story when it was finally written down, thousands of years after the actual event.

About the "year" thing. I think that the Bible makes reference to time intervals in both years and seasons.

But in modern translations, "seasons" is mistranslated as "years" so those figures are exaggerated by 4

Anytime you see an outrageous so-called "life span" in the Bible, divide it by four and it will probably look closer to a more normal human life span.

High-Gear
07-26-2012, 18:42
Actually, there probably was a "Noah", who had a family, and who had a boat, who survived a major flood that killed each and every other human being the Noah family ever knew.

The inundation of the Black Sea.

About 7,500 years ago.

By the time they came ashore near Mt. Ararat, they thought the world had ended.

But, it was just an exaggeration of their own story when it was finally written down, thousands of years after the actual event.

About the "year" thing. I think that the Bible makes reference to time intervals in both years and seasons.

But in modern translations, "seasons" is mistranslated as "years" so those figures are exaggerated by 4

Anytime you see an outrageous so-called "life span" in the Bible, divide it by four and it will probably look closer to a more normal human life span.

So he was 110 when he built the boat?

Woofie
07-26-2012, 20:29

I've read on this board somewhere before that discrepancy is due to differences in the calendars used, but even using the Old Kingdom calendar from Egypt would put Noah at about 96 years old against the 110 you have.

Maybe someone else knows more about ancient calendars than I do, which really wouldn't be much to brag about.

GreenDrake
07-27-2012, 05:36
yeah but Noah is also to have purportedly lived to be 950 some odd years old, he was just middle aged when he built his magical boat. The stuff people believe and still function as human beings amazes me sometimes.

GreenDrake
07-27-2012, 05:37

Yes, I was there. It didn't happen.

ImpeachObama
07-27-2012, 06:01
Kind of reminds you of the conditions we're living in today.
http://kingjbible.com/genesis/6.htm
http://kingjbible.com/genesis/7.htm

Vic Hays
07-27-2012, 06:42
Its not possible. Two of every animal and insect from the whole planet, diverse food and water requirements, removal of waste material, fresh and salt water life both existing in the same water.

The Bible says "kind" this is more like genus not necessarily every variety and species. Fresh and salt water life both exist in the same water today and there was plenty of water. Only the animals that God called entered the Ark.

God is capable of making it happen. The one who created the universe was able to destroy what He wanted to destroy and preserve what He wanted to preserve.

GreenDrake
07-27-2012, 07:30
Easy out for the devout. "Because, he can do anything" No proof, no factual data, completely devoid of substantiating evidence and contrary to scientific proof. Deep stuff, must be delicious.

Vic Hays
07-27-2012, 14:07
Easy out for the devout. "Because, he can do anything" No proof, no factual data, completely devoid of substantiating evidence and contrary to scientific proof. Deep stuff, must be delicious.

The universe exists so something must be eternal.

Either a Creator who preexisted before there was a universe or eternal meaningless dust in the wind.

Kansas - Dust in the wind 1977 - YouTube

Norske
07-27-2012, 15:10

Even as late as the date of Jesus's cruxifiction, the concept of "zero" had not yet been invented.

Numbers were often just symbols.

As in Roman numerals

1=I
2=II
3=III
4=IV
5=V
6=VI
7=VII
8=VIII
9=IX
10=X
11=XI

and so on.

I am suspicious of any numbers from ancient texts.

It think they get mistranslated in translation.

I said "years" could be mistranslated as "seasons".

It could also be "months" instead.

In particular, LUNAR months. 13 per solar year.

A full moon is obvious to the most ignorant ancient goatherd.

Take the long Biblical ages. Divide by 13, and see if those come closer to the reality of a normal human lifespan.

Divide that 450 figure for Noah by 13 and you get 34 and change.

About right for an adult male with children that far back, when life was nasty, brutish, and short.

Norske
07-27-2012, 15:17

Yeah. I always wondered why, omnipotent God did not hand the 10 Commandments to Moses in .4 Seconds rather than take 40 days.

And why he produced them in stone tablets that Moses himself could have produced in 40 days with nothing more than some copper chisels.

Why did he not hand them to Noah in solid Aluminum, or Titanium, or in some other fashion that would be unmistakebly uncounterfeitable in that day and age and level of technology? :upeyes:

If he had, I would not have come to the conclusion I have.

That everyone in the Bible that says "and God said to (insert name here)" was a liar, that Moses was a liar, lied all along about God talking to him, genned up the 10 Commandments on his own, and that the entire basis of the Bible as being "divinely inspired" is nothing more than a thousands of years old con game perpetrated by generation after generation of Clergical Con Men for the sole purpose of their own personal power and authority over their fellow, gullible, men.

:steamed:

Ditto for all other forms of organized religion, as well.

GreenDrake
07-28-2012, 05:00
The universe exists so something must be eternal.

Either a Creator who preexisted before there was a universe or eternal meaningless dust in the wind.

Kansas - Dust in the wind 1977 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wp4O7v5320)

Checkmate

Brian Wilson - Your Imagination (Acapella) - YouTube

Animal Mother
07-28-2012, 05:15
so something must be eternal. This statement does not follow from The universe existsthis statement.

Vic Hays
07-28-2012, 07:52
This statement does not follow from this statement.

Do you think the universe is eternal? God doesn't.

Hebrews 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

Vic Hays
07-28-2012, 07:57
Checkmate

The benefits of being a Christian outweigh those of being a non believer even in this life.

II Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

GreenDrake
07-28-2012, 08:07
The benefits of being a Christian outweigh those of being a non believer even in this life.

II Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

That's what Pascal thought.

Vic Hays
07-28-2012, 10:00
That's what Pascal thought.

Pascal's wager. The size of the prize, infinite, the size of the risk, zero.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Whoever means anyone. Zero risk.

Syclone538
07-28-2012, 13:19
Pascal's wager. The size of the prize, infinite, the size of the risk, zero.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Whoever means anyone. Zero risk.

Assuming there is a god...

I think the risk is higher then being atheist. If you believe in a god, odds are it's the wrong one, and the real god is not going to be happy. Any sane god would never punish anyone for not believing something they've never seen any evidence for.

Kingarthurhk
07-28-2012, 14:05
Assuming there is a god...

I think the risk is higher then being atheist. If you believe in a god, odds are it's the wrong one, and the real god is not going to be happy. Any sane god would never punish anyone for not believing something they've never seen any evidence for.

Which God created all things, and then came to earth to live in a blended family, raised in poverty, healed the sick and hurting, then died for you on a cross? Which God is recognized throughout the world? Which God has been shown through independant historians to have actually walked the earth? Which God has promised to raise the dead and return for His children? Which God claims to be the God of gods and Lord of lords?

I think the choice is pretty clear should you choose.

Animal Mother
07-28-2012, 15:24
Do you think the universe is eternal? No, I don't, because the evidence shows us otherwise.
God doesn't.

Hebrews 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
At best, this is an opinion/belief from an anonymous author, but that's completely beside the point I was originally making, that your previous claim is not logically valid.

Animal Mother
07-28-2012, 15:25
Pascal's wager. The size of the prize, infinite, the size of the risk, zero. What if you pick the wrong God? The risk there gets pretty high, pretty fast.

Animal Mother
07-28-2012, 15:27
Which God created all things, and then came to earth to live in a blended family, raised in poverty, healed the sick and hurting, then died for you on a cross? Which God is recognized throughout the world? Which God has been shown through independant historians to have actually walked the earth? Which God has promised to raise the dead and return for His children? Which God claims to be the God of gods and Lord of lords? There's more than a few that could fit that definition, but how is any of it relevant? What if the true creator of the universe is some obscure deity from a small pacific island that no one outside that area has ever heard of, does that somehow make their creation of the universe invalid?
I think the choice is pretty clear should you choose. Brahma, obviously.

High-Gear
07-28-2012, 16:42
I think the choice is pretty clear should you choose.

Yes, The Flying Spaghetti Monster! He Boiled For Your Sins!

You may scoff, but once you are touched by his noodly apendage you will understand! He is the one true creator!

Plus....

FSM Heaven has a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory!:wow:

Lone Wolf8634
07-28-2012, 17:13
Yes, The Flying Spaghetti Monster! He Boiled For Your Sins!

You may scoff, but once you are touched by his noodly apendage you will understand! He is the one true creator!

Plus....

FSM Heaven has a Beer Volcano and a Stripper Factory!:wow:

Strippers and beer? I'm so there!!:supergrin:

Kingarthurhk
07-28-2012, 17:49
There's more than a few that could fit that definition, but how is any of it relevant? What if the true creator of the universe is some obscure deity from a small pacific island that no one outside that area has ever heard of, does that somehow make their creation of the universe invalid?
Brahma, obviously.

Brahma doesn't fit, because you need to have countless reincarnations with the end goal being Moksha, which is to depart your spirit from your body and become nothing. You are in essence a rain drop being invaded by an ocean.

The concept is is all life is suffering and the end of suffering is nonexistance.

So, no, it does not fit.

Animal Mother
07-28-2012, 20:34
Brahma doesn't fit, because you need to have countless reincarnations with the end goal being Moksha, which is to depart your spirit from your body and become nothing. You are in essence a rain drop being invaded by an ocean.

The concept is is all life is suffering and the end of suffering is nonexistance.

So, no, it does not fit. Not a completely accurate account of either Brahma or Hindu beliefs, but when did you demonstrate than any of these conditions are not in fact the way things are? For that matter, when did you demonstrate that Brahma, or any other deity, is limited by your understanding of them? Is Jesus so limited?

GreenDrake
07-29-2012, 05:39
OT/NT, fairy tales and stories of grandeur and rising from the dead....religion has the market cornered on brainwashing, that's for sure.

Danger of Religion (P2) (Family Guy) - YouTube

Vic Hays
07-29-2012, 09:43
What if you pick the wrong God? The risk there gets pretty high, pretty fast.

It is difficult to go wrong with the Creator.

High-Gear
07-29-2012, 10:28
Strippers and beer? I'm so there!!:supergrin:

The One True God - YouTube

The one true god! You can't disprove it, so he must be real!

Geko45
07-29-2012, 10:55

This statement can only be derived subjectively. Everyone would have their own opinion on whether it would be true or false and each person's answer would be true, but only for themselves.

Geko45
07-29-2012, 10:58
It is difficult to go wrong with the Creator.

Ah, so you are going with Brahma then?

professorpinki
07-29-2012, 16:17
So someone else wants to force me in the methods I use to raise MY family. (i.e. the author of the comics) Great.