Police wake man, look through home, wrong Clarksville address [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police wake man, look through home, wrong Clarksville address

DOC44
07-25-2012, 15:53
Police wake man, look through home, wrong Clarksville address

CLARKSVILLE, TENN. — Eddie Boykin was asleep in his Bennett Drive apartment about 4:30 a.m. Saturday when he was awakened by someone beating on his door.

When he went to answer, he found Clarksville Police standing in his living room shining flashlights.

“I heard, ‘Show me your hands.’ I stuck my hands out. ... I was like, ‘What have I done?’ I had no idea what was going on. The police frisked me, told me to sit down and searched my home.”

Doc44

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20120724/NEWS01/307240059/Police-wake-man-look-through-home-wrong-Clarksville-address

Ruble Noon
07-25-2012, 15:58
At least they didn't shoot him.

NMG26
07-25-2012, 16:03
At least they didn't shoot him.

Sounds like a close call though. If the guy had a gun when he was on his way to the door, he would have been dead.

Gundude
07-25-2012, 16:06
Sounds like a close call though. If the guy had a gun when he was on his way to the door, he would have been dead.I don't think a guy who thinks so little of his own safety that he sleeps with his apartment door ajar would have a gun handy.

NMG26
07-25-2012, 16:12
I don't think a guy who thinks so little of his own safety that he sleeps with his apartment door ajar would have a gun handy.

I missed that in the article.

Wonder how they did get in?

DOC44
07-25-2012, 16:19
I don't think a guy who thinks so little of his own safety that he sleeps with his apartment door ajar would have a gun handy.

ajar right after a size 12 boot bumped it.

Doc44

Syclone538
07-25-2012, 16:45
They were beating on his open door?

snerd
07-25-2012, 16:51
All the smart arses today! The correct address is such a trivial thing in a search warrant. Chill.

eta: yeah, yeah, it wasn't a case of a warrant. I got it.

Syclone538
07-25-2012, 17:07
I'm libertarian, and don't really believe in victimless crimes. I've had a decent amount of contact with local law enforcement as victim, witness, and as a suspect. From that contact, I trust cops no more then a random stranger. Having said that, if it went just like the article says, I don't have much of a problem with what they did other then not doing a good enough job announcing themselves when entering the apartment.

Gundude
07-25-2012, 18:53
They were beating on his open door?Would you rather they enter first and try to bring themselves to the resident's attention afterwards?

Syclone538
07-25-2012, 19:03
Would you rather they enter first and try to bring themselves to the resident's attention afterwards?

As far as I can tell, that's exactly what they did. To answer your question, no.

Gundude
07-25-2012, 19:04
I'm libertarian, and don't really believe in victimless crimes. I've had a decent amount of contact with local law enforcement as victim, witness, and as a suspect. From that contact, I trust cops no more then a random stranger. Having said that, if it went just like the article says, I don't have much of a problem with what they did other then not doing a good enough job announcing themselves when entering the apartment.
I'm a libertarian too, and I find it bizarre that I'm defending a police action here yet again.

I'm getting a better idea of why libertarians are getting such a bad rap these days. There seems to be an unhealthy absolutism in libertarian though where pesky things like details and reality don't matter any more.

It's counterproductive to libertarian principles, to be sure.

LoadToadBoss
07-25-2012, 19:08
ajar right after a size 12 boot bumped it.

Doc44
This. I don't believe that any reasonable person goes to bed with their apartment door ajar.

At least one state has passed a law stating that police to not have the right to make these types of mistakes unmolested by the innocent homeowner.

Gundude
07-25-2012, 19:24
This. I don't believe that any reasonable person goes to bed with their apartment door ajar. Weird that the resident didn't mention his busted-in door in his interview with the newspaper... Seems like it would enhance his complaint...

Cavalry Doc
07-25-2012, 20:08
Sounds like a close call. Odd that the door was "ajar".