Any decent ranges around Austin, TX? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any decent ranges around Austin, TX?

cpolk
07-25-2012, 16:24
Hi, I just recently moved to the Austin area and would like any information about ranges. Looking for ones where safty is enforced and double taps are allowed for pistol. Ideally they would have pistol, shotgun, rifle (prefer at least 750 to 1000 yards) and .22 ranges if outdoors. Any advice and input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Also if in the wrong forum, moderators please move.

Beanie-Bean
07-25-2012, 17:29
Welcome to Central TX! Depending on what side of town you're on, here are some good places:

Austin Rifle Club
Best of the West

I shoot a lot more at BotW, due to my location. They have tactical bays there, and you can shoot as fast as you've like/as much ammo as you can afford to shoot :supergrin:

Comedian
07-26-2012, 05:00
How are the gun laws in Austin? I may be moving there someday.

MrMurphy
07-26-2012, 08:26
Avoid Eagle Creek.

Not a particular fan of ARC.

I know guys from drive from San Antonio for Best of the West, because it's a gun range where adults are allowed to do their own thing.

If you're not a moron and act safely, you can do just about anything you want.

Beanie-Bean
07-26-2012, 08:52
Avoid Eagle Creek.

Not a particular fan of ARC.

I know guys from drive from San Antonio for Best of the West, because it's a gun range where adults are allowed to do their own thing.

If you're not a moron and act safely, you can do just about anything you want.

Eagle Peak? The one in Leander/Cedar Park?

I go to ARC w/members, but have not become one there due to the distance. Best of the West is about as good as I've found here. They are very hospitable, courteous, and have guys driving around to check on you to make sure that all is well.

I shoot steel targets and run my chrony tests there, because I know that I won't accidentally get blown away by someone being unsafe out there.

There are some indoor ranges here, but I prefer not to be shooting next to the guy who's sending .44 Magnum or .357SIG downrange.

cpolk
07-26-2012, 16:50
Thanks for the information. I'll try Best of the West. I'm in Cedar Creek and its not that far.