Any reason to get TX CHL if I already have FL non-res CHL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to get TX CHL if I already have FL non-res CHL?

F14Scott
07-25-2012, 20:45
I got a Florida non-resident CHL while I lived in Illinois, not that it did me any good there.

I've moved to Texas, where the FL CHL appears to give me all the benefits of the TX CHL. Also, it is good for 7 vice 5 years, costs less originally, cost less to renew, requires fewer training hours originally, and requires no training hours to renew.

Now, if I were to get a Texas CHL, I would pick up five states (CO, SC, WI, MN, MI) that my FL n-r doesn't cover. But, that's a lot of work and money for some added coverage, far away.

Of course, the Texas training includes all the local laws, such as "stand your ground," 30.06, 51%, etc. That might be worth the price of admission.

My question is, am I missing anything? Is there any legal distinction between the two CHLs from a practical standpoint? Any reason to have the TX CHL that I haven't thought of?

Glockdude1
07-25-2012, 20:52
L/E in Texas know what a Texas CHL looks like. Most would not know what a Florida handgun license would look like.

This might cause some problems with l/e that does not recognize the Florida license.

Get the Texas CHL.

mad.gunsmith
07-26-2012, 00:46
i think you have to have a texas CHL if you live in texas

Vdoc
07-26-2012, 06:15
Mad.Gunsmith is corect.
Once you extablish Tex rexidency, DL must be aquired within (?30 days) and Texas does not accept Non-Resident CHL's posessed by residents. This came about due to the ease of getting a Utah permit and the Low fee. Too many folks tryed to beat the system and Texas put a stop to it. don't forget to change the address on your NoN-Resident CHL.

Also Once you start the process remember don't carry till you get your new CHL. But, You can keep a concealed handgun in your car loaded and ready to go!

F14Scott
07-26-2012, 07:31
Mad.Gunsmith is corect.
Once you extablish Tex rexidency, DL must be aquired within (?30 days) and Texas does not accept Non-Resident CHL's posessed by residents. This came about due to the ease of getting a Utah permit and the Low fee. Too many folks tryed to beat the system and Texas put a stop to it. don't forget to change the address on your NoN-Resident CHL.

Also Once you start the process remember don't carry till you get your new CHL. But, You can keep a concealed handgun in your car loaded and ready to go!

I have read several internet posts stating the same thing you did, but have been unable to find a legal reference. Respectfully, can you cite your source?

And thanks for the reminder on the address change. It can be done online, but provides no mechanism for getting a new card; the change is in the Florida computer only. If I want a new card, I have to mail Florida a notarized letter that my original card is lost or destroyed. They will then send me a new card. Interestingly, since 2010, Florida no longer lists addresses on their CHL cards.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/changes.html

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2012, 10:26
To me, this is just common sense.

*IF* you're right and you can carry on a Florida CCW, then you'll be fine.

*IF* your'e right, wrong, or someone thinks you're wrong, and you're found to be carrying on a Florida CCW, you could be in for quite a ride. If state law is this ambiguous on the issue, you could be facing a huge hassle. Not to mention possible jail time, possibly even losing your gun rights if things ultimately don't go your way.

I can't believe a rational person would think there would be any alternative to just getting a Texas CHL and avoiding any possible issues. Even if this were legal in Indiana (and it's not), I'd still get an Indiana permit.

Vdoc
07-26-2012, 10:39
I Have contacted a CHL instructer and will follow up.
Your's deal is a little strange as it was Issued as a Resident license...

Ofcoarse you could also contact DPS Handgun License division Phone number on their Web site but be perpared for a long wait!

glad we picked up another law abiding Texas gun owner.

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2012, 12:47
I Have contacted a CHL instructer and will follow up.
Your's deal is a little strange as it was Issued as a Resident license...

Ofcoarse you could also contact DPS Handgun License division Phone number on their Web site but be perpared for a long wait!

glad we picked up another law abiding Texas gun owner.

I think I would contact DPS directly for an opinion on this, rather than an instructor.

IGF

Vdoc
07-26-2012, 12:58
My CHL instructer is also a Lawyer so I didn't get a streight answer. So I'm guessing a Phone call is in order.

If You get the streight skinny from the state ( DPS) let us know.

F14Scott
07-26-2012, 20:20
My CHL instructer is also a Lawyer so I didn't get a streight answer.

HA! Isn't it funny how everyone always says, "don't talk to Internet yahoos; talk to a lawyer." Yet, lawyers are almost as prone to platitudes and sandbagging as the rest of us.

Yes, as someone suggested, getting a TX CHL would certainly be the safest route. But, if a NR FL CHL is perfectly legal for me to hold and use, then I might consider skipping the cost and hassle of maintaining two CHLs.

As far as I can tell, NR FL CHLs are completely legal in TX, whether one is a Texas resident or a non-Texas resident. Despite prolonged attempts to find such legislation (in the face of much rumor, speculation, and general internet yapping), I have found no law that contradicts the preceding sentence. If anyone can produce such a law, I would be very interested to see it. Until then, I will assume that it doesn't exist; I will not take a statement as valid without proof backing it up. (This is not a swipe at anyone, since I recognize that many people will offer opinions with a much lower standard of proof than I am requiring.)

I'll even make it fun. A buck (and much more importantly, bragging rights) says no such law exists. Any takers?

mad.gunsmith
07-27-2012, 11:23
i know that 250 is allot of Cash to just get the TX CHL but how much is going to cost if you get arrested because you don't have it?

HA! Isn't it funny how everyone always says, "don't talk to Internet yahoos; talk to a lawyer." Yet, lawyers are almost as prone to platitudes and sandbagging as the rest of us.

Yes, as someone suggested, getting a TX CHL would certainly be the safest route. But, if a NR FL CHL is perfectly legal for me to hold and use, then I might consider skipping the cost and hassle of maintaining two CHLs.

As far as I can tell, NR FL CHLs are completely legal in TX, whether one is a Texas resident or a non-Texas resident. Despite prolonged attempts to find such legislation (in the face of much rumor, speculation, and general internet yapping), I have found no law that contradicts the preceding sentence. If anyone can produce such a law, I would be very interested to see it. Until then, I will assume that it doesn't exist; I will not take a statement as valid without proof backing it up. (This is not a swipe at anyone, since I recognize that many people will offer opinions with a much lower standard of proof than I am requiring.)

I'll even make it fun. A buck (and much more importantly, bragging rights) says no such law exists. Any takers?

birdman253
07-27-2012, 20:16
PM me and I will forward info on a Texas CHL website that might be of assistance. (I don't know if I am allowed to post a link here.)

F14Scott
07-28-2012, 19:22
Birdman253 sent me a link to this excellent forum, which had someone else posting almost the same question as I asked. It also had no one able to cite a legal reason not to just use the FL NR CHL.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=55461

USMC61
07-29-2012, 08:08
Right now a Texas resident can carry in Texas on a Florida license, however that could change in the 2013 legislative session, so why take the chance, get the Texas CHL.

Motor-T
07-29-2012, 11:45
Legally, I don't see a reason not to carry on the Florida license. Practically, I recommend getting the license from the state you live in. If you are ever required to interact with the police, there is less confusion. Police don't seem to like non-standard stuff. I might wait until my Florida license expired though.

txoilman
08-03-2012, 21:27
I would say get it to be included in the number of voters with a CHL. If the price could be reduced, I am sure more than 2.5% of Texans would have the CHL.

reyloxdm40
08-03-2012, 22:04
RE: CHL - Other
To: rj33rb <rj33rb@aol.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 11, 2012 3:22 pm
As long as your license is valid you can carry concealed in Texas.

Texas Department of Public Safety
Regulatory Services Division
(512) 424-7293, Direct
RSD_Customer_Relations@dps.texas.gov
www.dps.texas.gov

This is a copy of the email response I got from the Tx DPS after asking if I could carry on an Az CWP while living as a resident in Tx. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea to get a Tx CHL if you qualify for it. There are a lot of LEO's that don't know the law and nothing would stop them from arresting you if they felt like it...

RussP
08-04-2012, 07:35
I got a Florida non-resident CHL while I lived in Illinois, not that it did me any good there.

I've moved to Texas, where the FL CHL appears to give me all the benefits of the TX CHL. Also, it is good for 7 vice 5 years, costs less originally, cost less to renew, requires fewer training hours originally, and requires no training hours to renew.

Now, if I were to get a Texas CHL, I would pick up five states (CO, SC, WI, MN, MI) that my FL n-r doesn't cover. But, that's a lot of work and money for some added coverage, far away.

Of course, the Texas training includes all the local laws, such as "stand your ground," 30.06, 51%, etc. That might be worth the price of admission.

My question is, am I missing anything? Is there any legal distinction between the two CHLs from a practical standpoint? Any reason to have the TX CHL that I haven't thought of?So the money is an issue with you? What if I were to tell you of a way you can get 50% off them damned fees, would you be interested? Would it make all that work to get...but wait, there's more!!

What if I could show you how you could get around that pesky, time consuming range instruction requirement, would you be interested?

44 years later and it still takes an Air Force FAC Observer to show a Navy jet jock where the target is...nothing's changed.

reyloxdm40
08-04-2012, 11:26
Don't forget the gun free zones around schools. You can't carry in these areas unless you have a CHL from Texas... You can also skip the NICS background check when purchasing firearms with a Tx CHL...

Dan_ntx
08-05-2012, 11:17
Just get a Texas CHL... It's 11 hours of (in my first class anyway) light napping (not by me), malfunctioning handguns (not mine), a challenging course of fire (I am confident I could pass by throwing bullets at the target), not 1 but 2 instructors that bickered like an old married couple, and so many smoke,bathroom,drink,food,stretch your legs,etc breaks that added up to almost half the time spent there. Admittedly this was many moons ago and the process has surely been upgraded and smoothed out. But I felt safer when it was over and I was out of range of some of my "classmates" who did not demonstrate confidence inspiring control.

Thankfully my renewals have been much better...my last one had 2 hours of the instructor ending every other sentence with "keep your loaded handguns secure in your home and out of reach of curious children" which seemed out of place at first but I knew the tragic story was coming...After the brief range portion of the show he laid out his tragic personal story and we had another couple of awkward hours before we were cut loose.

As much as it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. Years after these classes I still remember not just the funny moments, but lots of the information dispensed as well. The course is long, which leads to lots of "filler" but the fact that Texas has lots of unique gun laws and there is ample time to be informed and discuss them. For the local knowledge alone (not to mention the potential entertainment) it is a good use of $250 ish... Plus, next to a Stetson and nice boots...nothing says "I'm a Texan" like a good ol Texas CHL. :supergrin:

Gunnut 45/454
08-05-2012, 11:51
F14Scott
I'd say if your living in TX get the TX permit. Cause I'd bet money you get stopped and the LE doesn't like what he sees your going for a ride!:supergrin: Especially if you stopped in or around Houston or any of the other liberal spots in TX! Unfortunately there are quite a few places in TX that are not to gun freindly these days!:faint:

PettyOfficer
08-05-2012, 11:57
You can also skip the NICS background check when purchasing firearms with a Tx CHL...

This was not mentioned in my CHL course so I never knew this. I've been planning on re-reading the 2011/2012 law book anyways, I'll see if I can find this (of course, I'd find out on my next purchase). I'm not doubting you but I like to confirm, and hope to find this nugget of info. The background check takes only a few minutes, but still nice to know! Thanks.

CharlestonG26
08-05-2012, 12:06
ht now a Texas resident can carry in Texas on a Florida license, Righowever that could change in the 2013 legislative session, so why take the chance, get the Texas CHL.
According to this Texas does not accept a non-resident Florida license:
http://www.txchia.org/recip.htm

PettyOfficer
08-05-2012, 12:17
According to this Texas does not accept a non-resident Florida license:
http://www.txchia.org/recip.htm

Um... Click your own link, but this time read it.

F14Scott
08-05-2012, 13:47
Well, despite still believing there is no legal reason I needed to, I took the class yesterday. Thirty minutes of information packed into 11 hours of excruciating boredom and dumb questions. In many cases, I knew more about TX law than the instructor, just from researching whether I needed the TX CHL. The shooting portion was, to say the least, not even close to being challenging.

The good news is that my CHL, itself, will only cost $70, vice $140, since I am a veteran. Still, that's in addition to $100 for the class, $11 for the fingerprints, $9 for the photos, and about thirteen hours of my time. I suppose, however, if it saves me even one ride from an uninformed LEO, that might be worth it.

CharlestonG26
08-08-2012, 18:51
Um... Click your own link, but this time read it.

Um...I did read it. Says resident only. The OP has a non-resident license.

BuzznRose
08-08-2012, 19:01
This is a pretty good site to check reciprocity: http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on iPads.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BuzznRose
08-08-2012, 19:10
Um...I did read it. Says resident only. The OP has a non-resident license.

Actually, the link you had is to show what states accept the Texas CHL. Florida only accepts a Resident Texas CHL.

Here is the link to the TX-FL agreement...it doesn't address resident/nonresident issue on FL license

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/legal/reciprocity/FlaTenn.htm

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/index.htm#

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

donp
08-09-2012, 18:13
I know it's a little late but the only thing I found on the OP's question isn't really clear but it almost seems that they expect some one that is becoming a resident of TX to get a TX CHL. A link to the rules Pg 6 411.173
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

Don

F14Scott
08-09-2012, 22:28
I know it's a little late but the only thing I found on the OP's question isn't really clear but it almost seems that they expect some one that is becoming a resident of TX to get a TX CHL. A link to the rules Pg 6 411.173
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

Don

411.173 first says that Texas must issue a CHL to people who are non-residents or who have just moved to Texas with the intent of becoming residents. It then goes on to state that the TX governor must work out reciprocity agreements.

It does not state whether the reciprocity agreements hinge on any residency requirements.

ICARRY2
08-15-2012, 20:51
I would get a TX ccw if I were you.

You know the old saying 2 is 1
and 1 is none.

I only have a resident AZ ccw and am thinking about getting a second non resident ccw permit like FL.

RussP
08-15-2012, 21:18
411.173 first says that Texas must issue a CHL to people who are non-residents or who have just moved to Texas with the intent of becoming residents. It then goes on to state that the TX governor must work out reciprocity agreements.

It does not state whether the reciprocity agreements hinge on any residency requirements.Just for clarification, the language does not include the word "must."G C § 4 1 1 . 1 7 3. N O N R E S I D E N T L I C E N S E . (a) The department by
rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility
requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement
established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this
subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the
person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this
stateAs to reciprocity, the Attorney General reviews each state's licensing requirements and submits a list of those that qualify for reciprocity with Texas to the Governor. (b) The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state that
provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun under
which a license issued by the other state is recognized in this state or
shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the other state is
recognized in this state if the attorney general of the State of Texas
determines that a background check of each applicant for a license issued
by that state is initiated by state or local authorities or an agent of the
state or local authorities before the license is issued. For purposes of this
subsection, “background check” means a search of the National Crime
Information Center database and the Interstate Identification Index
maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall annually:
(1) submit a report to the governor, lieutenant governor, and
speaker of the house of representatives listing the states the attorney
general has determined qualify for recognition under Subsection (b); and
(2) review the statutes of states that the attorney general has
determined do not qualify for recognition under Subsection (b) to
determine the changes to their statutes that are necessary to qualify for
recognition under that subsection.
(d) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall submit the report
required by Subsection (c)(1) not later than January 1 of each calendar
year.Unless everyone qualifies, there is no "must negotiate" or "must issue" to it.

F14Scott
08-15-2012, 23:32
Just for clarification, the language does not include the word "must."As to reciprocity, the Attorney General reviews each state's licensing requirements and submits a list of those that qualify for reciprocity with Texas to the Governor. Unless everyone qualifies, there is no "must negotiate" or "must issue" to it.

Though I did not expressly state the qualification caveat, that was my intended meaning. To me, "shall to the qualified" and "must" are synonymous. We are in violent agreement! :cool:

tahco gunworks
04-09-2013, 13:32
There is so much misinformation here I don't know where to start.

A gun free zone has nothing to do with concealed carry. It is due to higher penalties if guns used in a crime. The Motor Vehicle Protection Act allows non licensed CHL holders to carry their weapon in their car in Gun Free Zones.

Yes you can use an out of state license in Texas, however if you are involved in a shooting the DA will grill you on not knowing the gun laws of Texas at a minimum. Better to invest in a in state license.

Unfortunately most CHL instructors are pretty dumb and have never actually read the CHL 16 which are the gun laws in the state, nor do they shoot worth a damn. While I was in Georgetown getting my instructor license, I was swept numerous times, not to mention out of 80 people about 10 failed the shoot. Embarrassing.

Everyone should google CHL 16 and read the gun laws at a minimum. Just having a CHL is nothing, learn your pistol, how it works, and how to shoot under duress. I've actually failed people that didn't have a clue and probably would have shot themselves later on.

Lastly, people use spell check. My gosh the spelling here is horrible for a few.

Motor-T
04-09-2013, 14:08
Just getting around to this thread that died 8 months ago?

ca survivor
04-10-2013, 09:29
L/E in Texas know what a Texas CHL looks like. Most would not know what a Florida handgun license would look like.

This might cause some problems with l/e that does not recognize the Florida license.

Get the Texas CHL.

sooo traveling thought Texas and I get stop, a LEO from Texas would not recognize my Florida CCW ?

SCmasterblaster
04-10-2013, 10:49
sooo traveling thought Texas and I get stop, a LEO from Texas would not recognize my Florida CCW ?

Good question. I want to know also.

F14Scott
04-10-2013, 14:48
By everything I saw back when I researched this thread's topic:

1. It is completely legal to CCW as a Texas resident who has only a FL non-resident CHL.
2. The consensus seems to be that, despite #1, having a TX CHL is smarter, since an ignorant LEO is still an ignorant LEO who can arrest you, and who wants that potentiality?

Lord
04-11-2013, 10:51

Get the Texas CHL.

I agree with getting the TX CHL but your rationale is ludicrous. Law Enforcement may not know what the Fla. license looks like?
did you really actually type that out loud?

Lord
04-11-2013, 10:55
Good question. I want to know also.

if you get stopped while driving through TX, you will be asked if there are any weapons in the car. you answer yes. He will ask where the weapon is. you tell him. he will tell you to simply keep your hands where he can see them.

as long as the weapon is NOT VISIBLE, carrying a weapon in your car and concealed is legal, whether you have a CHL or not.
Since TX has reciprocity with most of the other states, LEOs know that if they're presented with a CHL from another state, they check them out. Equally they will know if they DON'T have reciprocity with other states. That's why they use their radios and call dispatch. But it won't matter (in a traffic stop) since carrying in the car is legal, license or not. The only thing you would have to consider with this scenario is that TX is a must inform state. So if you get pulled over, and you have a valid CHL from ANY state, when you're asked for your license and insurance you should also present your CHL and inform if you're armed or there is a weapon in the vehicle. If you do NOT have a CHL and you're carrying a weapon in your car, doesn't matter. If the cop doesn't ask, you have no duty to inform.

The poster above to says that it may be a problem if the cop/leo doesn't recognize what a Fla CHL is or looks like... I will say is the dumbest response I've read in a long while.

Lord
04-11-2013, 11:03
Originally Posted by reyloxdm40 View Post
You can also skip the NICS background check when purchasing firearms with a Tx CHL...

This was not mentioned in my CHL course so I never knew this. I've been planning on re-reading the 2011/2012 law book anyways, I'll see if I can find this (of course, I'd find out on my next purchase). I'm not doubting you but I like to confirm, and hope to find this nugget of info. The background check takes only a few minutes, but still nice to know! Thanks.

I can confirm this. I've cash and carried several times now.