Anyone have a Kelly Kettle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Kelly Kettle?

cowboy1964
07-25-2012, 22:07
http://www.kellykettleusa.com/

Or similar good alternatives?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/gardening/45k1780s4c.jpg

Bilbo Bagins
07-26-2012, 09:15
I don't own one but I know a guy who does.

It works as advertised, and like it for what it is. Even though I'm not Irish its kind of got a cool yet simple old world vibe to it. If you need to boil water quickly with a wood fire in a windy enviroment its the way to go.

But with the good comes the bad. Its bulky and heavy. The steel version is durable but heavy, while even the smallest Aluminum version is still 1.3lbs. Also I'm not too keen on boiling water in an aluminum kettle due to possible long term health risk.

Its great and fast for boiling water for tea, instant coffee and freeze dried food but its seems to be a PITA to cook things like Pasta or Rice on top in that pot attachment.

Still while I can do more at half the weight and size with my snowpeak lightweight Ti mini pot/mug and lightweight Vargo folding Ti hiking wood stove, I can't help but admire my friend's Kelly kettle when he fires that up.

quake
07-26-2012, 09:29
...But with the good comes the bad. Its bulky and heavy. The steel version is durable but heavy, while even the smallest Aluminum version is still 1.3lbs. Also I'm not too keen on boiling water in an aluminum kettle due to possible long term health risk...
+1. I like the proportions of their medium-sized one, as its width-to-height ratio seems more stable to me. But they don't offer that model in stainless as far as I've found, so haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Great concept imo; just the details of the specific one that I prefer aren't ideal for my subjective tastes. :dunno:

Atomic Punk
07-26-2012, 09:36
i really like the super simple stuff like that.

thesurefire
07-26-2012, 11:46
I have one of the middle size and I love it. Its a well thought out design. That said, it is heavy and never goes on long hikes.

Bilbo Bagins
07-26-2012, 12:23
I have one of the middle size and I love it. Its a well thought out design. That said, it is heavy and never goes on long hikes.

+1

That is the kicker for me. My cooking kit I take hiking is about 11 oz and breaks down into the size of a large coffee mug. that includes both wood and alcohol stoves, a small pot and a cup.

If the OP wants the Kelly Kettle for home SHTF use or car camping then I don't see a problem. If I had money to burn I would get a stainless steel version myself for the same reason.

Its just carrying around a +1lb kettle that is the size of a large thermos just so you can boil water kind of sucks for most hikers.

cowboy1964
08-10-2012, 01:33
If the OP wants the Kelly Kettle for home SHTF use or car camping then I don't see a problem..

That's exactly what i'm looking to get one for... home and car only. Just in case I have no electricity or other way to boil water.

G19freak
08-11-2012, 12:26
Dang it---now I want something I didn't know I needed----stainless base camp kit will be mine soon.