NY CCWer shoots self in knee at mall, no charges filed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NY CCWer shoots self in knee at mall, no charges filed.

Gallium
07-26-2012, 05:38
NAA .22 revolver - those you have to give a little extra attention, as he found out.

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S2703744.shtml?cat=300

All NY troopers who separate from service in good standing apply for a permit thru their superintendent, not via the county like "everyone else" ... other retired fed, state (for example, water police) and local (county on down) LE apply via the usual process and need references (four), etc etc.

I see a lot of ragging in his future. Those troopers have a decent academy and re-qualify (firearms, fitness and mental eval) at least annually.

One lady in the story linked expressed dismay that people are actually in the mall with guns...geez.

redbaron007
07-26-2012, 06:52
He better get some ribbing from his fellow peers!! :rofl:

That 'shopper'cracks me up.....definitely a prodigy of the liberal teaching/propaganda! :faint:

:wavey:

red

Caver 60
07-26-2012, 08:29
"... one reason the gun at the mall could have misfired is that the hammer may not have been correctly aligned with the notch when it was loaded."

That's one reason. But the MUCH MORE LIKELY REASON is what almost happened to me about 25 years ago. I was foolishly carrying my NAA in my right front pants pocket with no holster. There was nothing else in the pocket. I was doing some lifting and moving things around in my garage.

When i finished, I pulled the NAA out of the pocket and the HAMMER WAS COCKED FULL BACK OVER A LIVE ROUND. I've never carried or even shot that thing again. It's a permanent safe queen.

If you're going to carry one of those infernal machines, you'd better have a proper holster.

fuzzy03cls
07-26-2012, 10:17
I blame the idiotic ny gun laws.

ChuteTheMall
07-26-2012, 10:22
There's a hammer rest between chambers on the cylinder, but it's fussy to engage, even with practice.

Mister_Beefy
07-26-2012, 11:49
its good to be one of the chosen in new york.

more rights and less punishment.

Caver 60
07-26-2012, 12:17
There's a hammer rest between chambers on the cylinder, but it's fussy to engage, even with practice.

But the hammer rest WILL NOT prevent the revolver from being cocked. See my post 3 above.

Darkangel1846
07-29-2012, 11:03
But the hammer rest WILL NOT prevent the revolver from being cocked. See my post 3 above.

so you were stupid and its the guns fault?

ScottieG59
07-29-2012, 11:26
I have a NAA .22 LR/.22 Magnum revolver. I have always been very careful with it and it takes awareness.

One thing is loading it. Some are tempted to look as they depress the button before removing or reinserting the cylinder pin. It is easy to aim the thing at your own forehead with only the halfcock holding the hammer.

When lowering the hammer into the notch between chambers, one pulls the hammer slightly and lowers it with a finger on the trigger. The old time single action method is to load one less round and lower the hammer on the empty chamber.

Unloading is also touchy.

Firing may require a modified grip. The back of the cylinder can hack away at the firing hand thumb, depending on placement. Some use the non-firing thumb against the back of the grip to make the grip larger for the firing hand.

I consider this neat little revolver my most dangerous to handle weapon.

Caver 60
07-29-2012, 21:46
so you were stupid and its the guns fault?

I was stupid in pocket carrying the revolver without a holster that protects both the trigger and hammer, yes.

But I was just pointing out to anyone else who might be tempted to carry the NAA without a proper holster (and I've seen many GlockTalk post over the years advocating such carry) that relying on the so called half cock notch WILL NOT protect you. Neither will loading with an empty chamber under the hammer.

As Scottie said above, the NAA is a dangerous revolver.

ChuteTheMall
07-29-2012, 23:01
I consider this neat little revolver my most dangerous to handle weapon.

http://i46.tinypic.com/ej7jgi.jpg

Many years ago another gun forum imploded over a controversial neck holster similar to this.

It does simplify finding stuff for the coroner.:shocked:

Stevekozak
07-31-2012, 19:49
That shopper in the video is obviously quite baffled by excercise equiptment as well......

beatcop
07-31-2012, 20:13
:whistling:c'mon it's just a .22

magiaaron
08-01-2012, 11:24
"But gun experts and shoppers question why it would misfire in such a public place."

WTH does that mean? Excuse me, Mr. Gun Expert, aren't guns less likely to accidentally discharge in public locations?

-magiaaron

magiaaron
08-01-2012, 11:29
Also, I love how uninformed this customer is that was "elsewhere in the mall during the shooting."

She's upset that someone could be carrying in the mall. Yeah, I don't want the retired state police detective carrying because HE is going to shoot up the mall. Great logic. Take the guns away from police and retired police. Nice job, lady.

-Aaron