Gun ownership up, accidental gun deaths down...huh [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun ownership up, accidental gun deaths down...huh

jdavionic
07-26-2012, 19:25
Interesting. Gun ownership has continued to increase over the years. However the number of accidental firearm deaths has decreased. I looked for a news article and couldn't find one.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2744205/posts

The link includes a link to the CDC where you can verify the data cited.

jdavionic
07-26-2012, 20:14
If you went by politicians, the press, and even one of our frequent GT posters here, you'd swear the opposite was true.

NEOH212
07-27-2012, 04:07
If you went by politicians, the press, and even one of our frequent GT posters here, you'd swear the opposite was true.

:rofl:

Everyone knows that all of us that own firearms are a bunch of nut jobs that just can't wait to shoot something.

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

(Duly note the sarcasm of course as I attempt to attorney proof my post by typing this.)

Patchman
07-27-2012, 09:06
I think a better research would be gun ownership and rates of AD. As a general rule, all deaths by gunshot are dropping because emergency room techniques have vastly, vastly improved in the last 10-years or so. Now-a-days, anyone getting shot (for whatever reason or cause) has a much better chance of survival than 10 or 15 years ago.

magiaaron
07-27-2012, 10:11
I have a thought on something that might contribute to a decrease. It's only one factor and only a theoretical one, but what about the increase in shall-issue permitting?

Quite a few states require prospective CCWers to go through a firearms course before their permit is issued. Prior to a move for permitting, I would imagine a lot of people still purchased firearms for self-defense in their home, but would not go out and take a course.

I live on the border of Indiana and Michigan and I used to live on the border of Indiana and Kentucky. You'd be amazed at how many people come from Michigan for our Michigan Carry class or took it in Louisville when I offered KY classes when compared to the Indiana residents that take our classes (since its not required).

Things that seem incredibly basic like "Don't point the gun at someone you don't want shot" really isn't that basic for everyone. If you don't grow up around guns but you want one to protect yourself, how are you going to learn it? Someone has to teach you or you have to go out and learn on your own.

With the passage of concealed carry laws, buying a handgun for home-protection and getting a license to carry almost become part of the same process for a lot of new owners. And when those classes are part and parcel of getting a permit, you get that safety instruction you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Just a thought. No idea how much impact it really has.

-magiaaron

jdavionic
07-27-2012, 16:18
I think a better research would be gun ownership and rates of AD.

Not sure what you mean. The data that I provided is exactly that.

Patchman
07-27-2012, 18:06
OK, should have defined my use of "AD" as accidental discharge, not accidental deaths.

My accidental discharges refers to guns fired unintended. Whether the discharged hits a body or body part (or not) is secondary.

The data of "fatal firearm deaths" would be a subset of accidental dischargess.

So if there are more guns out there, and a similar increase in overall accidental discharges, not so good.

jdavionic
07-28-2012, 06:20
OK, should have defined my use of "AD" as accidental discharge, not accidental deaths.

My accidental discharges refers to guns fired unintended. Whether the discharged hits a body or body part (or not) is secondary.

The data of "fatal firearm deaths" would be a subset of accidental dischargess.

So if there are more guns out there, and a similar increase in overall accidental discharges, not so good.

I would expect the trend to be similar. However I have not found the stats....so it is my opinion, just to be clear.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jeanderson
07-28-2012, 06:25
I have a thought on something that might contribute to a decrease. It's only one factor and only a theoretical one, but what about the increase in shall-issue permitting?

Quite a few states require prospective CCWers to go through a firearms course before their permit is issued. Prior to a move for permitting, I would imagine a lot of people still purchased firearms for self-defense in their home, but would not go out and take a course.

I live on the border of Indiana and Michigan and I used to live on the border of Indiana and Kentucky. You'd be amazed at how many people come from Michigan for our Michigan Carry class or took it in Louisville when I offered KY classes when compared to the Indiana residents that take our classes (since its not required).

Things that seem incredibly basic like "Don't point the gun at someone you don't want shot" really isn't that basic for everyone. If you don't grow up around guns but you want one to protect yourself, how are you going to learn it? Someone has to teach you or you have to go out and learn on your own.

With the passage of concealed carry laws, buying a handgun for home-protection and getting a license to carry almost become part of the same process for a lot of new owners. And when those classes are part and parcel of getting a permit, you get that safety instruction you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Just a thought. No idea how much impact it really has.

-magiaaron

I agree. Many if not most of the uptick in gun ownership is due to more states issuing CCW permits. With that comes better training and subsequently fewer accidents.

cowboy1964
07-28-2012, 17:02
The accidental firearm death rate is down over 94% since 1905.

Everyone thinks the "good ol' days" were so great. They weren't, in most ways.