A German Sig P226 not quite like the others... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A German Sig P226 not quite like the others...

dnuggett
07-26-2012, 21:33
Tonight I brought home one of my favorite 9mm handguns, a Sig P226. This Sig is special to me however as it is a German Sig, but not just any German Sig. It is a German never destined for the US. As you may know the vast vast majority of German Sigs here in the states also include the "Import Stamp." This is the stamping on the left side of the slide next to or below the words Sig Sauer. Depending on when it was imported it will say Exeter NH, Tysons Corner VA or Herndon VA. Some models will be stamped by an importer other than Sig, the P6 comes to mind.

This Sig has no US importer markings as it was fully made and assembled in Eckernforde, intended only to reside in Germany. No "Sig Arms" anywhere, save for the back of the manual where the Sig portfolio of companies is listed. You'll also see no "DE" markings. I purchased it from a Green Beret who purchased it new in 1998 from Sig in Eckernforde while he was stationed in Germany. I honestly don't know the number of German 226s without US import stamps here in the US but my guess is they are few and far between.

Notice the manual doesn't have a 1-800 number for SigArms. :cool:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2593.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2595.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2594.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2592.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2591.jpg

dnuggett
07-26-2012, 21:37
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2598.jpg
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/dnuggett/_DSC2599.jpg

GTS197
07-26-2012, 21:43
Very nice P226. You should be proud.

glockrex
07-26-2012, 21:52
Nice! Congrats, I love my 2 tone p226.

steve1911
07-26-2012, 23:22
Congrats!

Very nice.

1911club#410

Jim Watson
07-26-2012, 23:45
A friend has a similar home market P220. It is a nicer built gun than my "colonial model." I had an action job done on mine, his does not need it.

Shinesintx
07-26-2012, 23:46
Does it shoot any differently?:supergrin:

Nice find and congrats.

bac1023
07-27-2012, 00:08
Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

Firefightermdc
07-27-2012, 00:13
Wow gorgeous! Congrats, I love my 226

SigFTW
07-27-2012, 00:19
That is awesome!!

Comedian
07-27-2012, 01:00
That is sweet. The P226 is one of my all time favorite pistols.

larson1122
07-27-2012, 02:47
Congrats! :thumbsup:

NEOH212
07-27-2012, 02:55
Great looking gun! I'd be willing to bet it shoots every bit as good as it looks!

Congratulations!

:cool:

Beanie-Bean
07-27-2012, 03:38
What a great find! Congrats, man!

Bruce M
07-27-2012, 05:22
Very nice and unsual.

dnuggett
07-27-2012, 05:58
Thanks all. I got real lucky finding this one. I'm not sure if I'll ever find another. I can't wait to go out and shoot it. This is my 4th 226 and easily the rarest. I had a W German tu-tone that I let go as I wasn't crazy about the condition it was in. I think I can talk myself into keeping this one.

My 226 Combat follows me to every range visit or training session. Pretty soon I plan to take it and a 226R to Robert Burke and ask him to do his thing.

I'm not doing single thing to this one though. I want it to remain as it is.

fnfalman
07-27-2012, 08:54
That's very cool!!!

Many GIs have bought guns of various kinds in Germany while they were stationed over there. Prices were much more amenable than American prices and they can get non-typical guns like the above mentioned P226 or original style CZ-75.

One of the dudes I knew back in the days bought a Steyr SSG69 with Kahles 6X scope for 2/3 the price of the same in America. From what I remembered, the BATF paperwork wasn't that bad either.

ColdSteelNail
07-27-2012, 09:41
Congrats on a really great find. My P226-9 is my favorite handgun ever.

itstime
07-27-2012, 09:45
Very nice. How rare is that being that way. To be honest I have never noticed one wo the markings but never looked either.

GIockGuy24
07-27-2012, 09:49
I had a neighbor and his wife used to work for the CIA, not as an agent but as an office worker. He said they had a noticeboard in the lobby where employees posted things for sale. Often there were firearms posted for sale. He bought some from CIA employees that did not have import stamps.

dnuggett
07-27-2012, 12:42
I had a neighbor and his wife used to work for the CIA, not as an agent but as an office worker. He said they had a noticeboard in the lobby where employees posted things for sale. Often there were firearms posted for sale. He bought some from CIA employees that did not have import stamps.

Makes sense. The only way someone like me could come across one is to either do what I did and find a military or gov member who brought one back or visit Germany, apply for a purchase permit, apply to bring it back, find a dealer with an import license and pay the associated fees. I'm not even 100% clear if this is still possible. In this respect I'd say the 226 without the import stamp is fairly rare. This is the first time I've seen one. I'm sure there are more, no idea how many. It'd really be an impossible task to know.

dnuggett
07-27-2012, 12:48
From what I remembered, the BATF paperwork wasn't that bad either.

To hear the guy I bought it from tell it, the paperwork was quite crazy. From the ATF to the Consulate (no idea why they were involved) to the import paperwork from his dealer here in the states.

All I know for sure is that I am glad to have found it. I'm happy to let someone else have the hassle and I'd probably never own one otherwise.

pat701
07-27-2012, 18:47
A great find, looks great.

Locojmc
07-27-2012, 20:18
She is very pretty.

RWBlue
07-27-2012, 21:52
To hear the guy I bought it from tell it, the paperwork was quite crazy. From the ATF to the Consulate (no idea why they were involved) to the import paperwork from his dealer here in the states.

All I know for sure is that I am glad to have found it. I'm happy to let someone else have the hassle and I'd probably never own one otherwise.

He did it the hard way (otherwise known as the legal way).

Someone else I know just put a gun in a diplomatic pouch and here it is in the states. My guess is that this item will never be sold legally.

PzGren
07-27-2012, 22:23
Makes sense. The only way someone like me could come across one is to either do what I did and find a military or gov member who brought one back or visit Germany, apply for a purchase permit, apply to bring it back, find a dealer with an import license and pay the associated fees. I'm not even 100% clear if this is still possible. In this respect I'd say the 226 without the import stamp is fairly rare. This is the first time I've seen one. I'm sure there are more, no idea how many. It'd really be an impossible task to know.

You would not get a "purchase permit" in Germany unless you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Germany. You could however buy a gun and have a German dealer export it to your local dealer if it isn't a firearm that was used by the military, those have to go through an import FFL. There is some paperwork included, import permits from ATF, German export permits, airfreight charges and customs broker fees. Plus the FFL fees.

dnuggett
07-28-2012, 10:40
You would not get a "purchase permit" in Germany unless you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Germany. You could however buy a gun and have a German dealer export it to your local dealer if it isn't a firearm that was used by the military, those have to go through an import FFL. There is some paperwork included, import permits from ATF, German export permits, airfreight charges and customs broker fees. Plus the FFL fees.

Don't think I'll be there anytime soon, but ya never know. When I was waiting for it to come in I started looking up how a civilian visiting would bring one home. I read some German gov site that mentioned the purchase permit being a necessary prerequisite to purchasing. You probably know better, it is entirely possible I was reading a non applicable law and just didn't realize it.Either way, sounds like I took the easy way.

PzGren
07-28-2012, 22:55
Don't think I'll be there anytime soon, but ya never know. When I was waiting for it to come in I started looking up how a civilian visiting would bring one home. I read some German gov site that mentioned the purchase permit being a necessary prerequisite to purchasing. You probably know better, it is entirely possible I was reading a non applicable law and just didn't realize it.Either way, sounds like I took the easy way.

I am very familiar with the gun laws and regulations in Germany, as well as import into the U.S. by a private party. If you ever find that very special SIG Sauer in Germany, lmk.

dnuggett
07-28-2012, 22:57
I am very familiar with the gun laws and regulations in Germany, as well as import into the U.S. by a private party. If you ever find that very special SIG Sauer in Germany, lmk.

Will do. Ballpark including shipping (not including the cost of the gun obviously) what is the cost to get one back to the states? How long does it take?