Some praise for the Beretta Bobcat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some praise for the Beretta Bobcat

Benello
07-26-2012, 22:02
I just thought I'd post my positive experience with my Beretta Bobcat in .22LR as the informal reviews and praise of it prior helped me to decide to want to purchase it, so perhaps this will help others who may be on the fence.

I purchased this gun just to have a little "plinker" at the range that was both fun and cheap to shoot. I have always loved Beretta pistols and wanted to see if their quality transcended into their more inexpensive, mini-sized plinkers. I had read mostly positive reviews so I thought I'd try it out for myself.

Holding it in the hand, I swear it almost feels like a mini 92fs! It is a solid little gun made of metal. Feels much more robust than my LCP with its polymer frame. The action and controls are all very well-fitted, with no slop anywhere. The safety clicks on and off with an audible and tactile authority. The hammer is the same way, with positive clicks into both half-cock and full cock. The barrel tilt lever kicks up the barrel with authority, and the barrel clicks back down with another positve and authoritative click. The slide is very snug on the rails, and takes a considerable amount of force to rack, hence the convenience of the tilt barrel. The magazine is a metal 7-round capacity one, that is easy to load IMHO.

So I finally (after having it in the safe for a couple months) made it to the range with it yesterday, and I must say that I was quite happy with the little Beretta's performance. I had read that for proper functioning of this little kitty, one would want to stick with CCI minimags or stingers, as they are high velocity .22LR's and will reliably cycle the slide. It is a blowback without an extractor, so the higher velocity is necessary. I tried 5 different types of ammo, fully counting on at least 2-3 of them to be crappy in it, but just hoping that it would at least like the mini mags. Well, to my delight, it ate up 4/5 brands without any issue! The CCI minimags cycled perfectly as expected, as did the Stingers (they are over 1600fps versus mini mags at approx. 1260fps). What was pleasing though, was that it cycled my Remington Golden bulk pack copper HP (1280fps) perfectly as well. This is great because the mini mags are somewhat pricey, and now I can get a bulk pack of the Remmy's and shoot for less money! I then tried Remington Viper truncated cone (1410fps) just to press my luck, and sure enough, perfect again! I was super happy at this point, but I wanted to see how it would do with my last type--American Eagle 38Ggr. copper HP (1260fps). About 75% of them cycled just fine, but I had a few casings that did not extract and a couple misfeeds, so I won't be feeding this type in it in the future. I figured that Am. Eagle would be okay as my 9mm of choice is AM. Eagle, but perhaps it just did not have the oomph or consistent quality as the others in .22 caliber to be reliable. To be noted may be that it was my only 38gr., whereas, all the others were 32gr.-36gr. In any event, I really don't care as I have several choices for total reliability, so I'm happy.

Accuracy-wise, it was actually pretty decent. I forgot to take a pic at the range, but I was able to put a fist sized group at approx. 25ft., which I feel is good considering the barrel length and rudimentery sights (but were actually easy to pick up).

In conclusion, I would recommend the Beretta Bobcat 21A .22LR as a fun little inexpensive plinker for the range. It is a solidly-built little pistol and is quite reliable with most high-velocity quality ammo. I picked mine up for around $270, and have seen them used for much less. Coupled with bulk pack .22LR ammo, it won't break the bank like a day with a centerfire pistol. Below is an obligatory pic. Hope this helps anyone considering a Bobcat! Thanks!

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg89/mjmyers81/005-4.jpg

janice6
07-26-2012, 22:16
Nice little guns. I have the 1950's Panther in .25 ACP

I am the only owner of this gun, purchased direct from Beretta in Italy. I have had not one problem, misfire or jam of any kind. In 54 years.

Fun firearm, enjoy.

Bill Keith
07-27-2012, 00:24
Good review, thanks:wavey:

bac1023
07-27-2012, 00:25
I have a Tomcat in 32ACP and its been great.

mj9mm
07-27-2012, 01:20
great review:cool:, good details on ammo. i too have had good luck with brands other than CCI. i took my cleaning kit with me to keep my testing fair and found the only thing that wouldn't eject were sub-sonic types, i figured that but i wanted to see how quiet they would be. with the tilt up barrel they make a nice backyard round. i too enjoy shooting the bobcat and i feel it was one of my best purchases. i now wouldn't hesitate to add a tomcat to my collection for deep concealment. thanks for writing your review:wavey:

Benello
07-27-2012, 20:57
Thanks Glocktalkers. I need to post more often about my positive range experiences as I really like to hear others' reviews. They have made my collection grow for sure:)

Kentucky Shooter
07-27-2012, 21:17
Great review, and i totally concur. I have had one exactly like yours for a couple months now and it is reliable with every ammo brand and type i have tried.

hogship
07-27-2012, 21:22
What was pleasing though, was that it cycled my Remington Golden bulk pack copper HP (1280fps) perfectly as well.

The Remington bulk pack was very unreliable for me. It should be noted that the quality of bulk 22LR ammunition can vary greatly from one lot, to another.

If you intend to shoot this brand of bulk ammo, be sure to test it first......then return to the store and get the exact same lot number. Nothing is a guarantee, but this will increase the odds that this brand of ammo will continue to function reliably in the 21A........:supergrin:

I haven't carried my Beretta 21A very much at all......but, I wouldn't trust anything but the premium 22LR ammunition for that purpose. I do trust the CCI mini-mags to be one of the best for consistency.......

Congratulations on your purchase of what is arguably the best little 22LR pistol ever to be produced for ccw.

ooc

Trigger Finger
07-27-2012, 21:53
"as did the Stingers (they are over 1600fps"

The Stingers are NOT 1600fps from a Bobcat!!!
Maybe out of a rifle but not a Bobcat.

fnfalman
07-28-2012, 00:38
I have shot my cousin's 21A several times and each time I was impressed by the high quality of the gun and the reliability as well. She stokes it with Stingers.

Burncycle
07-28-2012, 01:52
Thanks for the review! I've always wanted one of the little guys. Still hoping to see one for a good price at a pawn shop or something lol, maybe one day!

Glock40man
07-28-2012, 01:58
Great little pistols. Congrats!