Do you carry OWB at home? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry OWB at home?

MGman
07-27-2012, 09:52
Curious, do you guys carry out-of-waistband at home?

Daily? weekends?

skyboss_4evr
07-27-2012, 11:11
I do, but only during jacket weather, when OWB is my preferred method of carry.

Huskytaio
07-27-2012, 11:20
I carry OWB pretty much everywhere and year round. IWB just doesn't work for me, and I have a box of holsters I don't use. In this blazing Florida heat, I will wear shorts with a tucked in tee shirt, with an unbuttened lightweight shirt, like Columbia. My favorite OWB belt holster is the Don Hume 721 OT, and for paddle, the Comp Tac adjustable cant.

Adamz04
07-27-2012, 11:31
I only owb carry for the trail/woods. I have 2 small curious boys at home who would just want to see it so it has to be in the safe at home.

dkf
07-27-2012, 11:34
Mostly OWB everywhere for a while now. OWB is more comfortable for me.

MikeG36
07-27-2012, 11:39
OWB is far more comfortable and is my preferred method of carry however, realistically it's not always feasible. I usually carry IWB at home cause it's easier to conceal under a shirt.

1RoundEye
07-27-2012, 12:41
I do both depending on my attire and what is more comfortable.

Bruce M
07-27-2012, 12:44
I don't carry at home. If I felt I needed a gun in my home it wouldn't be my home.

Islander1
07-27-2012, 12:47
My EDC is a G19. I have IWB, OWB and a shoulder holster. I do use them all depending on how I'm dressed and what I'm doing. To answer your original question, yes I carry OWB at home.

SJ 40
07-27-2012, 12:52
IWB unless I'm hunting. SJ 40

guns54
07-27-2012, 12:59
Yes. I go know were with out it, Not even to the mail box. If you lived here you would to. Very bad here. Have a safe day.

Teej
07-27-2012, 13:02
Nope, at home usually a small pocket pistol.

Vince49
07-27-2012, 13:24
I switched from CC to OC about six months ago for comfort. Currently carry a G27 in a Serpa holster all day everyday wherever it is not prohibited (Courtrooms, Post Office , secure areas at airports and K-12 schools) including at home and in my shop. I am about to change carry calibers though and it will be a Gen.4 G30 in a Serpa as soon as it comes in at my LGS.

Rustin
07-27-2012, 13:33
I usually opt for OWB whenever possible, including summer. However, it's usually an LCR tucked away at the house. G17 is usually within arms reach.

Green Mountain Boy
07-27-2012, 13:48
I am able to OWB 99.9% of the time. The other .01 there is something in my pocket. All I have to do is not tuck my shirt in and I'm good to go. I switch up between a 642 G27 and G23 depending mostly on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

Regards, GMB

PLINKING.40
07-27-2012, 14:09
Nope.! only in the woods, In IWB at home under shirt ALL the time, I want the upper hand on a BG just dropping in to Hello.
HAHA not on my watch S***head..say hi to G20:tongueout:

SNH Glocks
07-27-2012, 14:28
Mostly OWB everywhere for a while now. OWB is more comfortable for me.

Yup, me too. IWB is not comfy.

GLOCK17DB9
07-27-2012, 14:31
sometimes I just walk around with mine in my hand and my wife gives me grief! My Glock fella's!:wavey:

PLINKING.40
07-27-2012, 15:17
sometimes I just walk around with mine in my hand and my wife gives me grief! My Glock fella's!:wavey:

You were talking about your Glock....O'dear:wow:

Cool Hand Hodge
07-27-2012, 15:21
I carry IWB at home. Only place im OWB is when im hunting and that's because im carrying a 500 smith

Cream Soda Kid
07-27-2012, 15:35
Yes, most of the time.

Itís the most comfortable way for me. I keep a sweater near the front door in case someone comes aíknockiní that I can just throw on to cover my firearm if I need to. I keep my house cool and Iím an old man :fred: so a sweater doesnít look out of place.

fordemti
07-27-2012, 17:02
I carry owb at home when I feel like it. Not really a rough neighborhood I'm in but never know when it'll get rough.

rohanreginald
07-27-2012, 17:55
My edc is a g26 owb. If I need to carry more i switch to a g19 owb. I only carry owb these days. I can't stand buying bigger pants and bigger belts then I actually need.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

barth
07-27-2012, 18:01
OWB, pocket carry, or both.

bac1023
07-27-2012, 18:38
I don't carry at home. If I felt I needed a gun in my home it wouldn't be my home.

I'm the same way. I never carry at home, but always have something relatively close by.

Tactical23
07-27-2012, 18:56
I only OWB when I'm on trails or in the wilderness.

Bruce M
07-27-2012, 19:24
I'm the same way. I never carry at home, but always have something relatively close by.

Exactly. My "holster" right now is a table.

maestrogustav
07-27-2012, 20:02
I switched from CC to OC about six months ago for comfort. Currently carry a G27 in a Serpa holster all day everyday wherever it is not prohibited (Courtrooms, Post Office , secure areas at airports and K-12 schools) including at home and in my shop. I am about to change carry calibers though and it will be a Gen.4 G30 in a Serpa as soon as it comes in at my LGS.

PLEASE reconsider SERPA. check with some major schools that do not allow Serpa use. Ask them why.

Or you could watch this:

Man shoots himself - YouTube

vanilla_gorilla
07-27-2012, 20:25
Almost always carry OWB. No reason to change that when I'm home.

Vince49
07-27-2012, 20:29
PLEASE reconsider SERPA. check with some major schools that do not allow Serpa use. Ask them why.

Or you could watch this:

Man shoots himself - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rGnMKszxg)

I have seen all that tripe. The Serpa is a fine holster and rather foolproof if you are not playing cowboy. I have been carrying in one on the occasions when I OC'd for years and recently 24/7. If you draw with your finger alongside of the slide where it belongs none of those bad things will happen. I don't believe anyone will ever make a Damnfoolproof holster however. :upeyes: :cool:

PS: I have seen other videos by this idiot. To quote an old friend," I do believe the cheese done slid off his cracker a long time ago"!

avenues165
07-27-2012, 21:27
I don't carry inside my home. However, I keep a loaded G24 with me at all times. It usually sits on the coffee table or end table. I have no kids, so I don't have to worry about curious hands.

When walking the dog I pocket carry either a small snub .38 special, Bersa .380, or a small Beretta .32acp (very, very rarely). That is why I just put a G23 on lay away! If I actually had to use something, I would like for it to be effective, not just something that will tick my attacker off!

I am not sure if I will go IWB or OWB, but I wear overshirts a lot, so OWB may be the best.

frostyicy
07-28-2012, 07:12
I don't carry inside my home. However, I keep a loaded G24 with me at all times. It usually sits on the coffee table or end table. I have no kids, so I don't have to worry about curious hands.

Substitute G24 for G19 or P95 and this is me. I usually only keep it close by at night time as well.

ZO6Vettever
07-28-2012, 08:00
I don't carry at home but it's always close by. I don't answer the door without it in my hand. I quit IWB a couple weeks ago and carry my G30 OWB under a loose "T" or tucked "T" with a unbuttoned light cover shirt. Works fine and sure is a lot more comfy.

jbo723
07-28-2012, 08:15
I used to carry OWB for the first 7 years when I got my CCL. For the past two years, I've been carrying IWB and there really isn't a big difference for me as far as comfort goes..

Around the house, I always have one of my EDC guns on me until the moment I go to bed and at that point, it rests on the night stand so up until that point, it's IWB for me currently..

eracer
07-28-2012, 08:16
Hard to carry at home when one is naked.

There is, however, a gun within ten feet of me at all times.

cliffsta
07-28-2012, 09:22
I generally keep mine on the end-table or kitchen table next to me in my apartment, but sometimes I feel like being "Ninja Ultra Prepared" guy and I'll wear my Blackhawk holster and my mag holder. Mostly just to get used to having this thing on my waist.

Tactical23
07-28-2012, 09:44
Hard to carry at home when one is naked.

There is, however, a gun within ten feet of me at all times.

Belly Band!

AquaHull
07-28-2012, 09:56
OWB, pocket carry, or both.
Same here, but the pocket gets the LCP

crashwg
07-28-2012, 12:53
When I wake in the morning I strap on my G27 IWB style. Out and about it's covered by an untucked shirt. Inside the home (at least in the warmer seasons) I'll just wear an undershirt which is tucked in so everything above the belt line is clearly visible.

Jason D
07-28-2012, 16:45
I actually rarely carry IWB.
I also rarely carry at home, unless I am going to be outside for any length of time. I do however have several guns around that I can get to quickly. One of them is sitting in a drawer about 8" under my right hand right now.

RightGlock1
07-28-2012, 19:18
I carry a G27 in a OWB Kydex holster made by me. If I'm not carrying that, it's a Sig P238 also in a mini Kydex holster made by me. I wear most of my shirts outside, t-shirts included. My shirts are XL due to my shoulders so I have plenty of room to conceal OWB. Not sure how to post pics of the holsters, if someone can walk me through it, I'll post them.

Kentucky Shooter
07-28-2012, 20:03

I hear you, but home invasions happen without warning in all types of neighborhoods, from slums to middle/upper class suburbs. Best to be prepared, if you dont carry on your person, it needs to be very close by and handy.

dakrat
07-28-2012, 20:19
no, I trained myself to throw kitchen knives.

NEOH212
07-29-2012, 03:13
I prefer OWB but during the summer, depending on the gun and holster, sometimes I carry IWB for optimum concealment.

Right now I'm carrying the HK 45 in a Raven Concealment holster OWB under a loose shirt. It conceals just fine.

If I wear a tighter shirt, I go to a IWB holster.

NEOH212
07-29-2012, 03:17

Or you could watch this:

Man shoots himself - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rGnMKszxg)

I dumped all my Serpa's a while back. While I did really like them, I had far too many close calls during unloaded draw and fire practice.

It was enough to convince me that it wasn't wise to use these holsters with a loaded firearm. It just isn't worth the risk.

If they could work out the safety issue, it would be a great holster. It's not the most concealable but still not a bad holster other than the safety issue.

FWIW:

I will note that it seems like I only had the issue with Glock's. I didn't notice my finger finding the trigger with other makes of guns with this holster. It must have something to do with the design of the gun/holster combo.

Or maybe it's just me.

greatwun
07-29-2012, 03:55
I dumped all my Serpa's a while back. While I did really like them, I had far too many close calls during unloaded draw and fire practice.

It was enough to convince me that it wasn't wise to use these holsters with a loaded firearm. It just isn't worth the risk.

If they could work out the safety issue, it would be a great holster. It's not the most concealable but still not a bad holster other than the safety issue.

FWIW:

I will note that it seems like I only had the issue with Glock's. I didn't notice my finger finding the trigger with other makes of guns with this holster. It must have something to do with the design of the gun/holster combo.

Or maybe it's just me.

It may be the Glock design because I never had this problem with my Springfield Loaded. Then again it does have and external safety.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dondulah
07-29-2012, 05:46
G23, G19, G30 in a kydex NTAC holster or a ppq in a n8 tactical all day everyday at home. I live in SE Michigan. My 3 kids are used to it I bathe them like this. I have 3 daughters and hope they appreciate the example and marry someone with the same values.

jordankaden
07-29-2012, 06:32
Well Chuck Norris is my neighbor so I dont have to carry at home....JK.. I carry OWB in glock sport combat holster (I only use this around the house).....

FireForged
07-29-2012, 10:01
I have a housegun but I am not going to carry a gun ( on me ) while in my home.

FFR Spyder GT
07-29-2012, 10:16
I carry OWB pretty much everywhere and year round. IWB just doesn't work for me, and I have a box of holsters I don't use. In this blazing Florida heat, I will wear shorts with a tucked in tee shirt, with an unbuttened lightweight shirt, like Columbia. My favorite OWB belt holster is the Don Hume 721 OT, and for paddle, the Comp Tac adjustable cant.

+1. I always carry OWB.

I use the Glock Sport holster.

I even use the large size Glock Sport holster for my Taurus PT845 .45ACP.

FMF Doc
07-29-2012, 14:07
Usually, unless I have timid company over. Yes, "it is my house and I'll do as I please," but as a good host, I keep it hidden (but still on me) when they are over to keep thier minds at ease. Thankfully, I don't have many timid guests.

MGman
07-30-2012, 20:17
Just got my CQC Serpa Carbon fiber. Love it!

Smooth and attractive.

I'm sick of reading about how the Serpa is so unsafe. Keep your booger hooker straight through the draw and I'll be fine.
I plan on a lot more practice with it but the few times I tried it, my finger wound up right on the frame of my unloaded Glock.

Love how you can cant it also.

Here's the deal with it...Practice, practice, practice!
But that goes for any holster setup anyhow. If you're not going to practice with it then don't get it. If you think you'll be in a sandy or gravel environment then rethink the Serpa. It's possible debris could get trapped in the release and fail. (highly unlikely but so is getting struck by lightning Twice but it's happened)

JuneyBooney
07-30-2012, 21:16
I agree with the others..it is more comfortable so ay home it works well.

Veedubklown
07-30-2012, 22:40
If I carry, it's IWB. At home, I already have a few around in places I frequent, so I don't always strap on at home, unless I'm already wearing a belt.

dosei
07-31-2012, 07:04
If your question is "Do you change your method of carry when you are at home versus away from home?", the answer for me is No.

JLeÚdhas
07-31-2012, 07:16
When I am working on the farm(bush hogging, cutting trees and checking on my deer feeders) I carry a Glock 21 in a shoulder holster. When I am outside at my home, I carry a Glock 30 IWB.

PLINKING.40
07-31-2012, 10:38
I hear you, but home invasions happen without warning in all types of neighborhoods, from slums to middle/upper class suburbs. Best to be prepared, if you dont carry on your person, it needs to be very close by and handy.

I'm glad you said it 1st, I was bitting my lip not responding at Bruce, you might be watering your lawn, or changing your oil on the car and someone might just be looking for a smoke or a lost dog, and looks harmless enough and guess what TO LATE to run in the house and grab a frying pan..we had a Dr. and his wife just got a home invasion at their 5.5mil dollar home, (2) low lifes scaled the wall and breached the security fence and WALKED right through the back yard and into the glass door and tied them up and Pistol wipped the wife and ransacked the house, the neiboors said "this kinda stuff never happends in their neiboorhood , only in the movies" WRONG.

FMF Doc
07-31-2012, 19:13
Just got my CQC Serpa Carbon fiber. Love it!

Smooth and attractive.

I'm sick of reading about how the Serpa is so unsafe. Keep your booger hooker straight through the draw and I'll be fine.
)

If it is so unsafe, why does the military, and hundreds of police agencies use them...It is a very safe design. It forces the finger to index on the frame of the weapon where it belongs. I don't know of anyone who was injured because of their SERPA...maybe just some bad practices.

professorpinki
07-31-2012, 21:11
I always carry IWB when I carry... and I carry about half the time I'm home. The other times, it's all within reach.

Veedubklown
08-01-2012, 03:47
If it is so unsafe, why does the military, and hundreds of police agencies use them...It is a very safe design. It forces the finger to index on the frame of the weapon where it belongs. I don't know of anyone who was injured because of their SERPA...maybe just some bad practices.

No way, I watched an idiot shoot himself in the leg on the internet with one of those things! .Gov should ban them, and crime.

DustyJacket
08-01-2012, 04:55
Curious, do you guys carry out-of-waistband at home?

Daily? weekends?

nope. Pocket carry.
Concealed - no one knows exactly when I am carrying.
My wife knows I carry - but she never sees it, so it is out of mind.

Funny thing - last Sunday we went to see Batman. my wife asked, so what if someoneone brings a gun into the theatre?

I sat mute, pondering the reply: "Someone IS bringing a gun into the theatre." :supergrin: